Hi there, been lurking for quite a while and decided it's time for my first post. I purchased a 16gb Playbook almost a month ago and I am extremely happy with it. I have the beta OS loaded on it and have run a few Android apps thus far.

My question is regarding internet tethering. I do not own a Blackberry phone and instead have a Nokia with an unlimited plan on Mobilicity. They support tethering as I have tethered my PC to my phone using the Nokia desktop software with no problems or additional charges. Before I updated to the beta OS I was able to tether a few times with success but then that stopped for some unknown reason. Since updating I can connect to my phone via bluetooth tethering but I can't actually do anything. It says I am connected but I can't access the internet or any apps that require a data connection.

Any idea what I am doing wrong or what might cure this? Is this a known issue with the beta OS?

Thanks,
    Bill
    12-19-11 11:39 AM
    Hi there, been lurking for quite a while and decided it's time for my first post. I purchased a 16gb Playbook almost a month ago and I am extremely happy with it. I have the beta OS loaded on it and have run a few Android apps thus far.

My question is regarding internet tethering. I do not own a Blackberry phone and instead have a Nokia with an unlimited plan on Mobilicity. They support tethering as I have tethered my PC to my phone using the Nokia desktop software with no problems or additional charges. Before I updated to the beta OS I was able to tether a few times with success but then that stopped for some unknown reason. Since updating I can connect to my phone via bluetooth tethering but I can't actually do anything. It says I am connected but I can't access the internet or any apps that require a data connection.

Any idea what I am doing wrong or what might cure this? Is this a known issue with the beta OS?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Something todo with the beta OS would be my guess. Precisely why I won't install it cause am afraid certain features will be disrupted. However, you could try this: go to bluetooth settings in both devices and delete "paired devices", now do a restart on playbook and a reboot on your phone (if possible do a battery pull). When they're back up back to bluetooth settings re-"pair" devices and see what happens. It's worth the shot.
    12-19-11 12:29 PM
    I don't have the beta OS and have an issue with tethering also. the phone and PB connect but I get some kind of error message. I may end up rotting my Droid X.
    12-19-11 01:30 PM
    An update, it may have been that my phone signal was not strong enough when I was trying to tether this morning. I am typying this on my PB at home while tethered and I have my wifi on here turned off. I'm going to test it out later tonight and see if it was just the signal strength.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-19-11 05:53 PM
    I'm glad you got it figured out. Welcome to the forum.
    12-19-11 06:38 PM
    I'm glad you got it figured out. Welcome to the forum.
    Ha! Well done.
    12-19-11 06:40 PM
    Was it that obvious? I think most of us have BB phones so not much tethering going on. I don't know how to do it. The bridge just does it for me. This is a very helpful forum. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Again Welcome
    12-19-11 06:50 PM
    Was it that obvious? I think most of us have BB phones so not much tethering going on. I don't know how to do it. The bridge just does it for me. This is a very helpful forum. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Again Welcome
    Thanks.

I had a BB Bold for a month a little while ago while my Nokia was in for repair and I'll be honest in saying I wasn't all that impressed with it. I can't say anything bad about it but I was very happy to get my Nokia back.
    12-19-11 06:55 PM
    As I suspected it was the phone signal strength that was my issue yesterday. I am typing this while tethered and on the bus.
    12-20-11 01:07 PM
    As I suspected it was the phone signal strength that was my issue yesterday. I am typing this while tethered and on the bus.
    Glad you got it working.
    12-20-11 03:23 PM

Thanks,
    Bill
    Down grade back to OS 1.0.8.6067 and you should have no problems the OS 2.0 is for developers only and it does not have full functionality.
    12-20-11 03:26 PM
    Hi,

I don't want to hijack the thread but I wasn't too sure if I should create a new one. I also have tethering issues and I'm wondering if it's something to do with the PlayBook software. I'm currently running OS 1.0.8.6067 & I have a BB9780 on the Telus Mobility network running OS 6.0.0.666. I have a 6GB data plan which includes tethering. Most times I have no issues with tethering but sometimes the PB just won't connect to my BB. I'll have to restart my PB and attempt to tether 4 or 5 times before it works. I have no issues with wi-fi or bridge & when I can tether it works fine, it's just sometimes it gives me a real hard time. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
    12-20-11 05:30 PM
    I don't have the beta OS and have an issue with tethering also. the phone and PB connect but I get some kind of error message. I may end up rotting my Droid X.
    Me 2. Phone (Droid Bionic) and PB connect but won't do internet. VZW says BT tether not supported but USB to PC is. Can anyone verify or should I go to android forum?
    12-21-11 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD