So..I know you can bridge your BB to your playbook, but can you use internet tethering that way? I know that our BlackBerry data plans are different than other internet plans (hence other internet plans won't work on a bb smartphone..didn't work for me at least) , but will tethering work?
    02-07-12 05:32 AM
    While in bridge, you can still use your smartphone for internet tethering, just go to settings, internet tethering then connect
    02-07-12 06:02 AM
    I remember doing that with my 9800 and it was so slow.Do you think it will be faster with the new OS 7 blackberries?
    02-07-12 06:37 AM
    Yes, you can tether, I did it last night - I find it gives me a little more speed than bridge. Don't always need the speed, but nice to have it there if needed!
    02-07-12 07:05 AM
    Getting upset with VZN. My plan says I have unlimited Internet, but when I enable hotspot on my Torch 9850, VZN wants $20/mo. This is just not right. Acting like the Federal Government. Only case where they MIGHT have a point: excessive usage.
    Doc Neutron
    02-07-12 09:04 AM
    Sprint wants more $ to tether as well. I use tetherberry and love it with laptop on the road, but not aware if there is a faster connection than bridge w/o cost. Would love to know as well.
    02-07-12 11:01 AM
    with blackberry bellagio that uses os 7, the connection is fast, just like wifi
    02-07-12 11:20 AM
    I upgraded to a new OS on my 9810 that allows for Mobile Hotspot. I find that this connection seems to work much faster than either bridging or tethering for internet access. It also allows access to sites that bridge will not connect to (most notable App World).
    02-07-12 11:54 AM
    Getting upset with VZN. My plan says I have unlimited Internet, but when I enable hotspot on my Torch 9850, VZN wants $20/mo. This is just not right. Acting like the Federal Government. Only case where they MIGHT have a point: excessive usage.
    Doc Neutron
    The VZW update with the Hotspot feature is separate from your "base" data plan. Just use data plan, bridge and your good to go. no further charges.

IF you use the new "hotspot" thingy in the VZW phone update, you will be charged. Thats why they put it in there. Mo' money!!! It's basically turning your phone into a 4/5 way hotspot for others to use and become billable as in a "separate/other" data plan.

Unless you are a member of the "Lucky Sper* Club" and have oddles of cash, just bridge it. No additional charges. et. all.

c
    02-07-12 02:28 PM
    i can use both bridge and tether with my 9800 and Orange UK.

i have 2 data plans with my bb. i have unlimited BIS and i have 500mb of Orange data.

there are some apps on my 9800 that use BIS and others use Orange data like Opera.

i find that using BIS is much slower than using the tethered data. I can load a page faster tethered than i can bridged.
    02-07-12 02:32 PM
    As far as I know its only US carriers that are making a killing by charging you extra for tethering/wifi hotspot. Either one is the same price: 20$/month for 2GB. I haven't tried the bridge with my 9850 so I probably should, but with my old 9330 it used to be extremely slow.
    02-07-12 02:46 PM
    tethering on Rogers in Canada is free on my 6 gig data plan...works great with my bold9900
    02-07-12 05:55 PM
    tethering on Rogers in Canada is free on my 6 gig data plan...works great with my bold9900
    Lucky Canadians!!
    02-07-12 08:30 PM
    On AT&T with Beta 2.0 + bridge, I'm getting free internet tethering without using Playbook's internet tethering.

I'm simply bridged and received full internet access through my phone.
    02-07-12 09:22 PM
    the way i see it, the only advantage of tethering over bridge is kobo store, facebook and the few apps that dont go online with bridge.
    02-08-12 04:33 AM
    App world seems to be the only thing I've come across thus far that can't go online with bridge.

Love the bridge, works well as I can do all the web stuff just fine, not to mention I ain't about to let Verizon d*ck me out of an extra $20 a month if I don't have to
    02-08-12 04:47 AM
    App world seems to be the only thing I've come across thus far that can't go online with bridge.

Love the bridge, works well as I can do all the web stuff just fine, not to mention I ain't about to let Verizon d*ck me out of an extra $20 a month if I don't have to
    App world doesn't work with bluetooth tethering either.
    02-08-12 04:52 AM
    It's all about bandwidth / throughput, folks ! Doc Neutron
    02-08-12 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD