Hello,

Added a Devolo wifi homeplug to my network and it seems both my blackberry playbooks is having a lot of problems with it.

"Error Couldn't resolve the host name"

Any advice would be appreciated....

Thanks
    04-29-13 08:32 AM
    Maybe this thread will help you even thought it is for the Z10.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ed-you-799614/
    04-29-13 08:50 AM
    Hello,

Added a Devolo wifi homeplug to my network and it seems both my blackberry playbooks is having a lot of problems with it.

Thanks
    Ok let's keep it simple. How are you trying to connect into the Devolo wifi homeplug for a start, hard wired or WiFi?
    04-29-13 09:46 AM
    Ok let's keep it simple. How are you trying to connect into the Devolo wifi homeplug for a start, hard wired or WiFi?
    Ok the item you have described is a network booster/extender, it is not a hub or a router. The error message you receive on your pb is not a pb error message. What the error message is telling you is that your hub/router does not recognise the homeplug! Firstly log into your hub/router and connect your homeplug to it with NO wifi devices operating. Once that has been successful you can log in using your normal hub/router from any device that the homeplug connects to with your normal hub/router settings. This item works off the earthing wire of your house to send its data which is quite normal, I use one for connecting tv devices throughout the house, but the hub/router must recognise the adapter firstly or it can't transfer data to whatever you attach to it?
    04-29-13 10:03 AM
    The devolo dLan 500 wifi works absolutely fine with my laptop computer. The way it works, the actual main router sends data via a homeplug through the home electrical cabling system. At one other point in the house, I plug in this wifi homeplug. It has its own SSID (name) and password.

On my playbook, it does show up the SSID, and I put in the password and it does connect. There is nothing I can do for this homeplug router it does not have many settings to play around. There has to be a setting somewhere ON the playbook to enable this to work....

Playbook does not load pages on the browser and says " couldn't resolve the host name"

This means the problem lies with the playbook failure to be compatible with the router.
    04-29-13 10:20 AM
    The devolo dLan 500 wifi works absolutely fine with my laptop computer. The way it works, the actual main router sends data via a homeplug through the home electrical cabling system. At one other point in the house, I plug in this wifi homeplug. It has its own SSID (name) and password.

On my playbook, it does show up the SSID, and I put in the password and it does connect. There is nothing I can do for this homeplug router it does not have many settings to play around. There has to be a setting somewhere ON the playbook to enable this to work....

Playbook does not load pages on the browser and says " couldn't resolve the host name"

This means the problem lies with the playbook failure to be compatible with the router.
    No it means it has a problem with the router security? Pc's, laptops can cope with wep, wpa, wpa2 but I've had problems connecting my pb with wpa2 before. I know it's a pain but set your router to wep. I'll bet your pb connects no problem so then change the settings to wpa and try again. You will get success! Unfortunately you will now have to change your settings on your laptop. You do not have a major problem with the wifi on your pb, trust me I'm a nurse?
    123nat and mmveets like this.
    04-29-13 11:04 AM
    Hello,

Thanks
    Only thing I can think of is delete off the connection on the PB that was made automatically. Next manually connect to the Devolo-thingy. There is a checkbox for IPv6. That might help resolve the host name.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-29-13 11:09 AM
    Only thing I can think of is delete off the connection on the PB that was made automatically. Next manually connect to the Devolo-thingy. There is a checkbox for IPv6. That might help resolve the host name.
    You again?
    04-29-13 11:11 AM
    THIS WORKS!!! (WEP)

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!

SO why does playbook have problems with WPA2?

I haven't bothered trying Gooseberry suggestion.....but maybe I should - does WPA2 make it worthwhile?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    04-29-13 11:40 AM
    THIS WORKS!!! (WEP)

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!

SO why does playbook have problems with WPA2?

I haven't bothered trying Gooseberry suggestion.....but maybe I should - does WPA2 make it worthwhile?
    Just different levels of security. If it accepts wep which is the lowest level it has now been registered with your hub/router. You should now have no problems changing to wpa should you require that level of security. As long as your router is password protected and has a firewall enabled you will generally be ok as far as security is concerned.

ps no thanks required, it's why we're all here?
    123nat and mmveets like this.
    04-29-13 12:07 PM
    Mine has worked on WPA2 since 2 years ago.
    04-29-13 12:21 PM
    Mine has worked on WPA2 since 2 years ago.
    Now why does that not surprise me. Maybe it's because you and by the way, only you can do strange things with five loaves and two fishes, a well full of water and can step out of a boat without sinking!

ps any chance you could make bb10 work correctly? Knowing you I bet if you put your mind (loosely speaking) to it you could do it. You would then have several hundred Z10 victims grovelling at your feet!!!!

pps I won't be one of them!
    04-29-13 12:37 PM
    Now why does that not surprise me. Maybe it's because you and by the way, only you can do strange things with five loaves and two fishes, a well full of water and can step out of a boat without sinking!

ps any chance you could make bb10 work correctly? Knowing you I bet if you put your mind (loosely speaking) to it you could do it. You would then have several hundred Z10 victims grovelling at your feet!!!!

pps I won't be one of them!
    Don't need that again
    04-29-13 12:52 PM
    My Playbook, Nexus 7, HP Touchpad, two laptops and other stuff all work fine on WPA2 using a travel size ZyXEL router on the iV4 band.
    04-29-13 01:20 PM
    No it means it has a problem with the router security? Pc's, laptops can cope with wep, wpa, wpa2 but I've had problems connecting my pb with wpa2 before. I know it's a pain but set your router to wep. I'll bet your pb connects no problem so then change the settings to wpa and try again. You will get success! Unfortunately you will now have to change your settings on your laptop. You do not have a major problem with the wifi on your pb, trust me I'm a nurse?
    i'm on wpa2 w/ no probs @ all,,, wep is VERY unsecure...
    04-29-13 01:23 PM
    I have a horse with only three legs and it can jump fences???? I post, I'm a troll, I try to help and I'm bombarded by a conglomerate of members telling me I'm wrong? I don't ask you to comment do I?

It didn't work?
    I gave my opinion?
    It does work?

So why don't you just leave me alone! Eh!
    04-29-13 02:14 PM
    I have a horse with only three legs and it can jump fences???? I post, I'm a troll, I try to help and I'm bombarded by a conglomerate of members telling me I'm wrong? I don't ask you to comment do I?

It didn't work?
    I gave my opinion?
    It does work?

So why don't you just leave me alone! Eh!
    Only four or five. You are so sensitive. Maybe you can make WPA2 work too when you come over to Arizona.
    Attached Thumbnails internet problems on playbook with spectific router-uploadfromtaptalk1367263738689.jpg  
    04-29-13 02:29 PM
    This worked for me too! WPA2 worked fine for me for over a year, and then one day I kept connecting to wi-fi but not getting internet. I tried everything, even a full security wipe. For some reason, my router kept assigning the playbook a "192.168.24.xxx" address even though its range was 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.244 (or 245, whatever). Flipping it to WEP (or unprotected) allowed it to connect again, and then flipping it back to WPA2 worked. I'm now set with the router assigning the Playbook's MAC to a specific address, so hopefully this won't happen again. Just wish I realized this was the fix sooner, before I did a full security wipe!
    05-06-13 05:23 PM