Hi,
    Searched back a few pages but no obvious answer for a pretty basic Q.
    How does the PB get internet access via a Curve 3G?
    Is it the same as on the phone but on a bigger screen?
    Or is it like tethering the phone as a 3G modem to a laptop?
    Reason I ask is that T Mobile have just changed and no longer allow tethered modem access on laptop, but I can still get internet on the phone in my deal - so I might have to get a PB.
    Sorry for such a basic Q.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    10-23-12 12:01 PM
    If using bridge its like tethering (but not ;-))

And on my bb it is covered by bb plan doesn't consume my measured data allowance

Just beware not every app supports bridge (app world is the biggest omission)

But on the whole its amazing, I did get it to work from curve 9300 to ipad on plan by using pdanet but you have to jailbreak and I expect they could detect that as tethering

Regards

Damian
    10-23-12 12:09 PM
    Here is a video from RIM demonstrating the bridge features.
    BlackBerry PlayBook 4G LTE-4G-3G 2.0 Demos, Help & Support - US
    10-23-12 01:07 PM
    OK - thanks but need to get on proper PC to view video.

When phone is tethered to PC, the top line on phone reads "Modem mode enabled"

Does this appear when bridged to a PB?

10-24-12 02:47 AM
    When Bridged, you'll notice that the Bluetooth symbol is different and there's another icon next to it : It's the bridge icon!

You'll also have access to your phones content, like notes and even documents/media files.

You'll need the bridge app on both devices and sync them(theres a auto sync via those "photo codes").

In a sentence:

- Bridge is a special kind of tether between only a BB phone and the Playbook, that allows the last, not only access to the internet(no app world tough) but the phones content!

Hope i helped.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 03:13 AM
    OK - thanks but need to get on proper PC to view video.

When phone is tethered to PC, the top line on phone reads "Modem mode enabled"

Does this appear when bridged to a PB?

It sounds like you want to be able to use the browser to surf the Web without tethering fees. The simple answer is yes you can do that. The carrier sees it as phone data. They can't tell if it's the PB or phone consuming the data.
    10-24-12 06:55 AM
    It sounds like you want to be able to use the browser to surf the Web without tethering fees. The simple answer is yes you can do that. The carrier sees it as phone data. They can't tell if it's the PB or phone consuming the data.
    Yes - exactly that. The BB screen is often just too small and it does not like large pages.
    I guess a PB keyboard would make life easier - or does the phone keyboard work as a remote keyboard?

10-24-12 07:44 AM
    (...) or does the phone keyboard work as a remote keyboard?

Yes it does, and also as a mouse.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-24-12 08:00 AM
    I have a Curve 9360 and leave the phone and pllaybook constantly bridged. I do my texting via the playbook and of course when not at home, do all my surfing on the playbook. I just pay $8 a month for unlimited internet access with my carrier. Although I am not allowed to tether, I am allowed to bridge. It is a bit slower than if you were using a direct data plan, but works great. Its also great for using the phone as a mouse or a remote control on your playbook. I do that when I have the playbook hooked to the TV and I want to select videos I have on the playbook or go online via the TV.
    10-24-12 08:32 AM