Hi
    Can anyone confirm if you can connect to the internet on the blackberry playbook via a usb mobile broadband dongle?
    Regards
    Neil
    03-17-12 05:03 PM
    Hi
    Can anyone confirm if you can connect to the internet on the blackberry playbook via a usb mobile broadband dongle?
    Regards
    Neil
    Can't be done because PB does not have USB host support. Maybe someday. Crossing my fingers.
    03-17-12 05:06 PM
    Ok thanks for that, a bit dissapointing, was thinking of buying one but this could change my mind. Is this true of all tablets? Is this a software problem which could be resolved by a future software update or is this a hardware problem.
    03-17-12 08:40 PM
    I know some Android tablets can use WiFi USB dongles. Why not just get a pocket moble hotspot? They cost about the same as the USB dongles.
    03-17-12 08:43 PM
    For years we used a CradlePoint CTR-350 mobile router. USB Stick to wifi.

These days it would be better to ditch the stick and use a smartphone with built in hotspot.
    03-17-12 10:59 PM
    Hi not sure if you gents are in the uk, but here in the uk the mobile wifi is dearer here than the usb stick and as I'm not going to be using it away from home doesn't really warrant the extra cost. I have a bold 9900 which I could bridge too and my wife has an iphone which can be used as a wifi hotspot so they are both options, but the usb dongle would have been the best option. Its a shame they didn't fix this is os2. Its these little things that keep putting me off.
    Did either of you know whether this is a software fix or a hardware fix?
    Regards
    Neil
    03-17-12 11:58 PM
    Sorry my last post should have read ' not going to be using it away from home that much'
    03-18-12 12:00 AM
    No can't and won't work how you want it to, both hardware and software required.

You can bridge, wifi hotspot or just use a mifi type of device. If you MUST get a playbook and NEED to use the Usb mobile, look into Internet connection sharing. That ways you can forward the mobile broadband to wifi. (assuming you have a pc with wifi). If none of those options work for you, a tablet that supports. 2G, 3G or 4G might be better suited to your needs.
    03-18-12 12:24 AM
    I'm in the UK and am using a Mifi (from 3) satellite dongal. I got it for �135 and it comes with 12gb of data, just brought an extra 24gb sim card from Amazon to use once I've ran out of data (you can get 12gb, 3gb and 1gb also from Amazon) but at present I'm hardly using it as I'm tethering my Playbook via my BB Torch (and getting way faster speeds)
    03-18-12 12:32 AM
    Thanks for that I have looked at the mobile wifi bit am not sure I would get the use out of it that would warrant the cost.

I'm in the UK and am using a Mifi (from 3) satellite dongal. I got it for �135 and it comes with 12gb of data, just brought an extra 24gb sim card from Amazon to use once I've ran out of data (you can get 12gb, 3gb and 1gb also from Amazon) but at present I'm hardly using it as I'm tethering my Playbook via my BB Torch (and getting way faster speeds)
    03-18-12 12:38 AM
    Thanks for your help clarifying this. As I sais I wouldn't be using it enough to warrant the extra cost of an android tablet especially with the price of the playbook at the moment. I'm interested in the internet sharing however . How does the work?

Regards
    Neil

No can't and won't work how you want it to, both hardware and software required.

You can bridge, wifi hotspot or just use a mifi type of device. If you MUST get a playbook and NEED to use the Usb mobile, look into Internet connection sharing. That ways you can forward the mobile broadband to wifi. (assuming you have a pc with wifi). If none of those options work for you, a tablet that supports. 2G, 3G or 4G might be better suited to your needs.
    03-18-12 12:42 AM
    Like the other guy I use 3's MiFi by huawei but points are...
    It is not satellite, it's straight 3g HSPA+ and the sim can be used in a dongle too.
    For �18.99 a month I get 15GB and free mifi device.
    It is my only broadband so for a home broadband I can take out and share with up to 5 devices the cost isn't bad
    Speed at my location around 5meg but obviously varies with location.
    03-18-12 02:44 AM
    Not sure if this will help you..But you can use connectify (connectify.me) software which is free to convert your laptop into wi-fi hotspot.
    03-18-12 04:00 AM
    I bought one of Amazon.com: Zoom 4506 3G Wireless-N Travel Router: Electronics which will only set you back about $45.

Useful in hotels and things as well.
    03-18-12 08:39 AM
    Been using this device for over a year. One desktop, one laptop, two playbook; all wireless, no problem. Go mifi.

Novatel Wireless MiFi 2372 Features, Downloads and Reviews
    03-18-12 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD