Let's say I get a router that I want to use for wifi... but not connect to the internet. Is it possible to connect my laptop and playbook to the router and share files if it is not connected to the internet? (Let's say I miss the internet bill and service gets cut off, but I'd still like to stream a movie or something to my computer via wifi connection without directly connecting the playbook.)

Just a random idea that came to mind the other day.

I've already tried to find an answer to this on the internet, but no dice.
    09-17-12 12:51 PM
    Yes you should still be able to share you movies over your wifi, but wont be able to stream movies from the Internet, having Internet from a provider doesn't impact being able to share over your wifi
    09-17-12 12:57 PM
    Don't think its possible without the internet connection if you have a bb phone you could use bridge and tethering.
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    09-17-12 12:57 PM
    Good info beman39 I didn't think it was possible.
    That's what's so great about CB forums a lot of brain power here.
    09-17-12 01:01 PM
    Don't think its possible without the internet connection if you have a bb phone you could use bridge and tethering.
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    Sorry you're wrong, u don't need Internet to have host to host protocols and connections.... As that's dependent on the router itself...
    esk369 likes this.
    09-17-12 01:02 PM
    Sorry you're wrong, u don't need Internet to have host to host protocols and connections.... As that's dependent on the router itself...
    That's what I'm here to learn from people such as yourself who have the knowledge that I don't thanks for the info.
    09-17-12 01:08 PM
    No problem bud...
    09-17-12 01:42 PM
    I do this all the time. I have an external 1TB drive connected to my computer, with shared folders for music and videos. I had this originally set up so I could stream thimgs to my laptop and not be anchired to the desk.

On my PlayBook, I side loaded ES File Explorer. It has the ability to connect to shared folders, and even has its own image, music, and video players. I watch videos all the time now.
    09-17-12 03:25 PM
    Think of the Internet as just another device on the router. Any device connected to the router can communicate with the other devices on the router. If the Internet isn't connected you can't communicate with it but it doesn't impact any other device.
    09-17-12 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD