Alec Saunders (VP of developer relations) from RIM had an interesting tweet today, although it could be nothing. Check out the tweet below. An interesting hashtag was added, #skype. Hopefully he's hinting at something in the public release of OS 2.0.
    02-07-12 06:35 PM
    Does Twitter for BlackBerry automatically extract and copy all @mentions and #hashtags when you reply?

The one to which he was replying included those, so maybe he simply didn't strip #skype out: https://twitter.com/#!/vazawah/statu...82721581367296
    02-07-12 06:59 PM
    Not all that interesting... he replied to someone (using Twitter for BlackBerry) that had those hashtags in their tweet. Hashtags got auto-inserted into the new tweet.
    02-07-12 07:00 PM
    I'm not putting much stock in this....however, it would be super cool to have Skype deeply integrated into the contacts in OS 2.0.
    02-07-12 07:03 PM
    Not all that interesting... he replied to someone (using Twitter for BlackBerry) that had those hashtags in their tweet. Hashtags got auto-inserted into the new tweet.
    And he only mentioned a twitter experience, nothing about skype..
    02-07-12 07:07 PM
    A twitter experience could be that you can send messages from the contact app to twitter. Still no twitter app confirmed and definitely no Skype confirmed.
    02-07-12 07:57 PM
    I doubt they would keep Skype a secret it would be a huge selling point that they would be bragging about. Doubtful for 2.0 but in the future it will come or here im hoping :P
    02-07-12 08:06 PM
    Hopefully this is a hint at a native Twitter app and not just the Twitter/Contacts integration.
    02-07-12 08:13 PM
    Yup, I think you nailed it. Sadly.
    02-07-12 09:21 PM
    I dont think Skype is even available on Windows Mobile 7 yet. Chances are the playbook is not a priority.
    02-07-12 10:07 PM
    If Skype is on Android, is'nt it easy to add at OS2?
    EricB1968 likes this.
    02-07-12 10:19 PM
    on the beta version of OS2, the camera from android apps is blocked. We'll se how it goes with the new release.

Android Skype doesnt guarantee it will fully work...

for this kind of app, a native one would be ideal for a better performance.
    auditman likes this.
    02-07-12 11:53 PM
    If Skype is on Android, is'nt it easy to add at OS2?
    If you mean through the "Android Player", then no. The camera will not work. Not sure about sound and other features.
    02-07-12 11:56 PM
    Thanks guys, even audio only, would work for me, but my wife wants to see the Grandkids on video. Kinda burns me when I see all the Ipad users in my Mexican condo using Skype.
    02-08-12 12:19 AM
    Given that the email app has twitter and facebook integrated I would hope that you can tweet and facebook straight from it. Otherwise most of Heins' keynote was BS.
    02-08-12 02:16 AM
    I haven't used Skype in some years now, can someone remind me... Is Skype able to handle more than 2-way video calls? Are more than two people able to video chat at the same time on it? Last time I used it I was not able to.

I've been using AV by AOL - Let's video chat! and it is great, but not integrated, so you have to create a session each time. At least it is simple to do that. 3-way video calls on it are great though.
    02-08-12 07:43 AM
    I'm really tired of this crap. I wish Saunders or someone at RIM would just be honest and let us know when/if Skype (and Netflix) will be on the PB, and/or what the problem is. Everyone has an opinion as to why they are not, but you know what they say about opinions . . . .
    02-08-12 08:15 AM
    I'm really tired of this crap. I wish Saunders or someone at RIM would just be honest and let us know when/if Skype (and Netflix) will be on the PB, and/or what the problem is. Everyone has an opinion as to why they are not, but you know what they say about opinions . . . .
    I think it just starts with money. the root of all evil....
    02-08-12 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD