I've had my playbook for 9 months now and caved and got myself a cool 9360 phone.

This is an unlocked phone straight from RIM so it isn't attached to any carrier yet.

I am not a big cell phone user and my use varies extremely month to month, so I prefer a prepaid plan.

I used to have Virgin on my Android, but no long distance came with the plan and since I live out in the country, almost all my calls are long distance.

I decided to go with Petro-Canada as they have great prepaid for $33 a month I can get 200 Canada Wide minutes plus unlimited texting and unlimited internet browsing. No movie streaming or such, but clean browsing.

When happily sitting down to my playbook and phone it of course told me I had to download bridge to my phone. At this time, no carrier is yet on the phone. It is still unlocked. So when I click on it, it tells me I need a data plan to connect to appworld to download bridge.

So before I commit my phone to a carrier, is the unlimited browsing option I will be getting classified as a data plan to BB? I probably think so.

Also, can I download the apps via appworld on the computer directly to the phone instead of from the phone to appworld. I can't find that out till I have a carrier as appworld won't let me download on to an unlocked phone.

Bridge is the main reason I wanted a BB phone to go with my Playbook. I don't want to pay large data fees just to be able to access appworld.

Anyone else out there have a plan such as that, where you pay a flat fee for web browsing? Is that all appworld needs?
    08-11-12 11:56 PM
    You can visit

rroyy.com

ON THE PHONE and navigate around till you find the version of Bridge that matches your OS on the phone. Download it on the phone (called OTA - over the air) and install it. Then run it on the phone and on the pb and follow the various prompts.

The pb will only access appworld using wifi (and not bridge or a data plan)
    08-12-12 12:37 AM
    It won't access appworld through my wifi. When I select the appworld icon it tells me the data service is not operational.
    08-12-12 12:51 AM
    It won't access appworld through my wifi. When I select the appworld icon it tells me the data service is not operational.
    The original playbook can ONLY access Appworld through Wifi. It should not need data. I have no idea what the new lte pb's might be able to do. But until these new units, the only method of getting "outside" with the pb was wifi (or bridge but bridge did not work for appworld).

The bb phones might need a data plan but actually I don't know that and it it too late this evening to experiment.
    08-12-12 12:58 AM
    Are you able to access the internet using your wifi? (That is with Bluetooth turned off)
    08-12-12 04:13 AM
    Maybe I confused you guys. It is the phone that won't connect to appworld through wifi. No trouble with playbook accessing appworld.

For you bridgers, do all of you have data plans on your phones? And again, can I simply plug my phone into the computer and get bridge from there?

I am looking forward to my phone and playbook being bridged together, I just don't want to have a data plan except for the flat $8 month I can get for unlimited web browsing.
    08-12-12 10:12 AM
    I suspect since your phone is new, it's never been registered with a carrier and connected to BIS. It's missing service books that will come from the carrier you choose.

I have an unlocked Bold 9000 that's no longer in service (no SIM in it so it says SOS when I boot it). However, I am able to access Appworld and other services over WiFi. Likely because I still connect to BIS over WiFi. When I turn it on, I still get mail, FB notifications, can browse, etc.
    08-12-12 10:17 AM
    To answer your follow on about bridging. I also have an unlocked 9800 as my active phone. It does have a Blackberry Data Plan and I do bridge it to my PB.

My 9000 also has Bridge and I used it before I switched to my 9800. However, I simply took the SIM out of my 9000 and put it into my 9800. My 9000 is my "backup" phone. It sits in it's box only coming out a few times to ensure the battery is charged, it still boots, and do the more "critical" Appworld updates (like Bridge).
    Hgouck likes this.
    08-12-12 10:36 AM
    Maybe I confused you guys. It is the phone that won't connect to appworld through wifi. No trouble with playbook accessing appworld.

For you bridgers, do all of you have data plans on your phones? And again, can I simply plug my phone into the computer and get bridge from there?

I am looking forward to my phone and playbook being bridged together, I just don't want to have a data plan except for the flat $8 month I can get for unlimited web browsing.
    I have a data plan on my phone, and my understanding is that one needs a data plan in order to access BIS (Blackberry Internet Service).

However - I believe there may be unofficial work arounds and members of this Forum will probably be able to advise how to use the phone with phone services activated but no data activated via telco.

That is, I believe there is a credible work around to use the phone without paying for a BIS (data) plan, in wifi only situations.

Having said that - I don't think that a phone that does not have a telco data package will be able to use Bridge - but I may be wrong.
    08-12-12 06:54 PM
    Well I went for the deal offered by Petro Canada with the 200 long distance minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited browsing.

I connected to appworld through the phone but when searching couldn't find brdige. So I went to the computer, plugged the phone in the USB port and downloaded bridge from there.

My phone and playbook are now bridged together. I can surf on my playbook using my plan on the phone.

Just loving the bridge app. Its worth the entire price of the playbook.
    saudadeii and kbz1960 like this.
    08-13-12 12:44 PM
    Great glad you're up and running.
    08-13-12 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD