No charger yet. Because I don't drive the car that much and it's mostly for short trips, i didn't deem it necessary. If I do the Music gateway, I'll probably do the charger for the PB also.

What I really want right now is the ability to play music via the PB speakers from my Blackberry. I hate having to duplicate my music on the PB when I have so much on my BB. They need to open up the Bluetooth to allow this. It would be soooo simple for them to do! In my case, this would allow me to start the media player on my BB (or BBM Music), hit shuffle all and play music through the PB into the stereo. This would allow me to use a Nav app at the same time with ALL audio (and phone calls) going through the PB.

Makes sense?
    09-03-12 12:30 PM
    LOL, That is freaking AWESOME!!! I wonder If I can do the same in my Rubicon???
    esk369 likes this.
    09-03-12 12:40 PM
    Hi Mark! What music app are you using?
    09-03-12 05:25 PM
    Hi Mark! What music app are you using?
    please. I am curious as well
    09-03-12 08:07 PM
    Mark, awesome job, did you make the dash for PB yourself or was it custom ordered to a shop? I want to replace my ipod with playbook for car, but I need a dash like this with charger perhaps
    trinipoco likes this.
    09-04-12 12:58 PM
    Thanks for the compliments everyone!
    That car and I have been through a lot together. More money and heartache than I care to discuss. But I love her!
    i can only imagine. being a car enthusiast as a hobby isn't cheap. hopefully you didnt encounter the infamous crankwalk on your engine during your time of your project.
    09-04-12 02:10 PM
    Yep, lost an engine to crankwalk. It was a brand new engine that I just had built too. Lasted less than 1000Km. #FML

The media player is from appworld called "music player with themes (lite)
    09-04-12 03:01 PM
    ...love the set up U got in there, although I'm not crazy about the yellow interior shoulda went with the same purple as the outside!...
    Nah, The yellow trim is what makes PPG's DSM extra unique!
    I'm just surprised that there isn't a BB logo stitched or attached somewhere inside!
    09-04-12 05:09 PM
    I now have a #TeamBlackBerry sticker on my rear window. I also have a cool little magnetic red * on the lid of my BlackBerry "pocket/holder".

As for the yellow trim...hard to explain, but I like purple/yellow/grey together (colour scheme of car) (Go Lakers! )

Only thing I've found so far is the audio output of the PlayBook is low (seems lower than even my 9860). Need to fix that somehow.
    09-04-12 05:20 PM
    Can't say I like Plymouth,
    Don't worry, it's really a Mitsubishi with Plymouth logos. I worked at a Jeep/Eagle dealership around that time, so we got the same car with Eagle Talon logos. Sure, there are slight differences, but nothing major.

Not to say that's a bad thing, they were nice cars, IMO. I loved the Talon AWD. Just not what is typically thought of as a Plymouth, since it was just rebadged. We also got some Eagle Summits that were rebadged Mitsu Mirages. They often still contained the work order from the port - ADD A/C and install grill, steering wheel insert and rear badge labels. That was pretty much the only differences in the cars.
    09-04-12 05:38 PM
    Silly story about my car. I originally wanted a Talon TSI AWD in that really cool royal blue. I couldn't afford it though, so I was looking at the FWD version. Then I went to a Plymouth dealer and saw this Laser RS AWD in Black (original colour). iI ended signing a deal that night.

I like the Laser now because it is very rare (even more so than a Talon/Eclipse) and I find it just looks more exotic :-)

Makes people wonder WTF it is...
    09-04-12 05:53 PM
    That looks sick man! Very well done!!!
    09-04-12 06:33 PM
    Mark PPG, did you make the housing on your own? it's such a perfect replacement for a double DIN setup too.
    09-04-12 11:17 PM
    It's a stock radio trim modified by me. The opening had to be made slightly taller, and I built the brackets for holding the PlayBook out of home depot aluminum stock. Painted it all black and created a hinge setup (oddly enough the most difficult part)

Glad you guys like it. I know we're #TeamBlackBerry here, but I didn't know there were so many car guys too!

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    09-05-12 06:28 AM
    It's a stock radio trim modified by me. The opening had to be made slightly taller, and I built the brackets for holding the PlayBook out of home depot aluminum stock. Painted it all black and created a hinge setup (oddly enough the most difficult part)

Glad you guys like it. I know we're #TeamBlackBerry here, but I didn't know there were so many car guys too!

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    it looks like you made it work really well too. it makes me want to try it out when i have time. i wonder what percentage of car hobbyists are here on CB..lol
    09-06-12 04:18 PM
    Great set up mark, quick question did you run a connection to the power for charging? Im trying to figure out how I would go about charging it. Maybe USB for radio inputs aswell?
    09-06-12 04:32 PM
    foxxberry i dont think he made one yet.
    09-06-12 04:35 PM
    Mark I did this install last year in my 2002 Boxster s. Get yourself a blackberry gateway and plug it into your amp then bluetooth to your playbook you can charge it though the micro usb Attachment 116623
    09-06-12 09:06 PM
    Never seen such a great car!

Brilliant and awesome work mark!
    09-07-12 03:34 AM
    I have an email with detailed pics/instructions for the mount. Should I post em here?

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-08-12 11:14 AM
    I have an email with detailed pics/instructions for the mount. Should I post em here?

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    Yes, please!
    09-08-12 01:24 PM
    Nice job OP it looks great and I would like to hear more reviews on how it works while traveling.
    09-08-12 04:57 PM
    So basically the trim piece I used was the stock double din trim from a 1g DSM (90-94 Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse/Plymouth Laser). The opening needed to be made bigger (height, not width) to allow the sensor/camera to be visible, and allow full bezel swiping. I used a cutting wheel on my dremmel for that.

On the back of the trim I had to cut away some plastic near the bottom. I left the top two screws/holes in place to use for fastening. I then fabricated 3 peices of 1/2"x1/2" L aluminum (Home Depot stuff) into a l___l shape. So the front of the PB slides up against the plastic, the back of the PB slides against the aluminum and rests on the bottom of the l___l (also aluminum). I used the 2 remaining screw holes to hold it in place. I also used a couple of plastic washers to add some extra spacing between the l___l bracket and the trim. I then used a black matte plastic anti slip tool chest liner to cover the back of the assembly (for when there is no PB installed). I had to make a bracket across the top/back to support the floppy matte plastic backing.

I hope the explanation helps (along with the pics)

feel free to contact me with questions or anything.

http://twitpic.com/asu16g
    http://twitpic.com/asu1p5
    http://twitpic.com/asu24c
    http://twitpic.com/asu3xf
    http://twitpic.com/asu4fv
    http://twitpic.com/asu4wb
    http://twitpic.com/asu59c
    Last edited by Mark PPG; 09-09-12 at 10:18 AM. Reason: trying to get pics to work
    bungaboy and toneytone like this.
    09-09-12 10:11 AM
    This is pretty awesome, I'm actually thinking of doing this now LOL...
    09-09-12 06:56 PM
    Oh man, you make me missing my Talon AWD that I have many
    Years ago...!
    09-09-12 07:47 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD