Would anyone think it possible to hack the Playbook and install a version of a barebones Linux system for example? Does anybody know if this has been tried?

I'd give it a shot if it were out there.

Any thoughts?
    10-30-11 06:37 PM
    Would anyone think it possible to hack the Playbook and install a version of a barebones Linux system for example? Does anybody know if this has been tried?

I'd give it a shot if it were out there.

Any thoughts?
    Guess I'm wondering why you would want to.
    Probably possible, I think there are too many hardware driver issues for it to be useful without a major UI shell on top of it - a lot of work. Unless you just want a console which doesn't do much for you.

What did you have in mind?
    10-30-11 06:40 PM
    Why... in it's present OS state it does nothing for me what so ever. Currently I have a 64gig paperweight which is worth less than half the price I purchased it at.

Some search results suggest that the hardware would support Windows/Linux. Curious to know if it has been achieved or tried.
    10-30-11 06:50 PM
    Basically asked, and answered (by taylortbb) in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-663393/
    10-30-11 06:53 PM
    Quoting (from a different thread) :xsacha xsacha

If there were millions of consumer Playbook's sold, you'd have enough hackers to work on this problem.

For Playbook, it's security through obscurity.

Thanks for the thread link... read n taken on board. Though I am sure it is not impossible... just sure it probably wont happen soon enough or ever.
    10-30-11 07:13 PM
    It's theoretically possible...I mean the HP Touchpad was hacked to run Linux/Android (same thing)...
    10-30-11 07:14 PM
    It's theoretically possible...I mean the HP Touchpad was hacked to run Linux/Android (same thing)...
    No it's not. The touchpad webos doesn't have the same security and not sure about a locked boot loader.
    ignites likes this.
    10-30-11 07:34 PM
    HP Touchpad is about 1000x easier to port Linux/Android to. I could do it myself.

Playbook actually has security preventing bad code from running and preventing you from changing bootloader. You'd need to discover a certificate or a key. Then, you'd need to find a way to use the flasher to flash custom ROM, resigned with that certificate/key.

It's still 'theoretically' possible as it is with any device when you possess the hardware. However, it may require a lot of tooling and possibly even custom hardware.
    10-30-11 07:43 PM
    It would be a lot easier to just learn how to use the PB. It's quite good in the right hands.
    10-30-11 09:05 PM
    No, it was a completely different situation.

The Touchpad actually starts life as an Android device, then webOS is loaded from there. A third party Android port was possible because Android drivers already existed for all of the hardware, which was very important because the touchscreen controller was unknown to Android devs. The controller manufacturer had already created an Android driver and made that available so Android became possible.

In this case RIM would need to make Android drivers available for the PlayBook, which isn't likely.
    10-30-11 09:56 PM
    the PB should run most code that runs on Linux. not sure why you wouldn't just port existing Linux apps. Make yourself useful
    10-31-11 01:12 AM
    Why... in it's present OS state it does nothing for me what so ever. Currently I have a 64gig paperweight which is worth less than half the price I purchased it at.
    Do you want to sell your "paperweight?" Only a reasonable price will be entertained which according to your own claim should be under CAD/USD350.00. Send me a PM if you are seriously unhappy with your BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB WiFi.
    lovin2act, Superfly_FR and bjw408h like this.
    10-31-11 01:25 AM

Some search results suggest that the hardware would support Windows/Linux. Curious to know if it has been achieved or tried.
    Still haven't answered the question- what is Linux going to do to convert it from a paperweight? What will you do with Linux that you can't do with QNX?
    10-31-11 01:29 AM
    Still haven't answered the question- what is Linux going to do to convert it from a paperweight? What will you do with Linux that you can't do with QNX?
    Natively check e mail
    bigzdog likes this.
    10-31-11 03:28 AM
    No it's not. The touchpad webos doesn't have the same security and not sure about a locked boot loader.
    So it's not theoretically possible to install another OS? I find that hard to believe.
    10-31-11 07:31 AM
    So it's not theoretically possible to install another OS? I find that hard to believe.
    It's theoretically possible but it first requires you break into RIM and steal their signing keys, or find a security vulnerability in their bootloader. BlackBerry phones have locked bootloaders and have for more than a decade and no one has ever cracked it, so goodluck. Given that I'm confident responding another OS is impossible, because for all practical intents and purposes it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-11 10:40 AM
    Theoretically it's possible to install another OS, but it would either have to be one that RIM approved of and signed or somebody would have to figure out the exact right method to sign it so that the device believes that RIM sent the update. In theory all of this is possible, but in reality by the time we figure out how the OS we're trying to hack into it will probably be obsolete, and we'll all be on at least PlayBook 3 if RIM still makes PlayBooks
    10-31-11 10:45 AM

Natively check e mail
    Go for it - root it and install a new OS, design a complete user interface, incorporating all of the touch features ( I assume you don't want to check email from a linux console), design a secure native email app that works on BES and show RIM how easy a task this is to accomplish. Then start appealing to developers so this won't be a "64g paperweight" anymore. Instead it will be a two ton boulder.

This is a pointless discusssion.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-31-11 at 10:59 AM.
    mud314 likes this.
    10-31-11 10:55 AM
    It would be easier and a LOT more functional to just use browser-based email. I know some people call it tedious, or want to use it to bash RIM, etc, but for most people that aren't intent on complaining just for the sake of it, it works quite well. GMail gathers my various email accounts and I can send as any of them. For Work email, I use OWA and it is on par with Outlook on the desktop, IMO. It was also a great alternative when BES services were down. I have the browser set to reopen tabs at startup, so my 2 mail tabs are always there and waiting.

But don't let the obvious, working methods deter you from dredging up possible OSes to port...
    kbz1960 and SoUnCool like this.
    10-31-11 03:31 PM
    OP,
    Windows XP!!! Been a long time since I saw that blue screen...
    10-31-11 05:23 PM
    Natively check e mail
    You'll spend far less time and money just jumping to ebay and buy a used bold 9000 ... moreover, you'll save a data plan ...
    10-31-11 05:43 PM
    Do you want to sell your "paperweight?" Only a reasonable price will be entertained which according to your own claim should be under CAD/USD350.00. Send me a PM if you are seriously unhappy with your BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB WiFi.
    I'd love to sell it, however being about 4 or 5 weeks old, hardly used... it cost me (with an envelope case) in American dollars: $899.

Fairly sure some of that cost is due to a strong Australian dollar at the moment.

I'd rather give it away to a young family member for xmas than take such a knock on the chin for it.

Cheers, and sorry.
    10-31-11 05:59 PM
    Go for it - root it and install a new OS, design a complete user interface, incorporating all of the touch features ( I assume you don't want to check email from a linux console), design a secure native email app that works on BES and show RIM how easy a task this is to accomplish. Then start appealing to developers so this won't be a "64g paperweight" anymore. Instead it will be a two ton boulder.

I'm not interested in a secure native email app. I'm not a spy, terrorist or a high flying company executive for some investment bank or petroleum company.

I'm interested in a functional email app to facilitate the running of my small business. It is a shocking and embarrassing testament to RIM's foresight to include an email app on the PB with less functionality than a BB Curve.

No spellcheck.
    No ability to multi select and delete/archive email.
    Laggy response when deleting mail one by one.
    No file system, hampering sending of attachments.
    No off line email storage.
    No ability to download attachments.
    Incredibly pathetic UI for a tablet interface.
    No real viable bluetooth keyboard supported or released by RIM.

As for Linux... I'm not interested in appealing to developers to code for it. RIM can't even get that right. I'm just interested in seeing if there is an alternative out there.

Personally the device is useless to me, and I'm happy to frack with it even if I destroy it in the process or simply give it away.
    loonix likes this.
    10-31-11 06:11 PM
    It would be easier and a LOT more functional to just use browser-based email. I know some people call it tedious, or want to use it to bash RIM, etc, but for most people that aren't intent on complaining just for the sake of it, it works quite well. GMail gathers my various email accounts and I can send as any of them. For Work email, I use OWA and it is on par with Outlook on the desktop, IMO. It was also a great alternative when BES services were down. I have the browser set to reopen tabs at startup, so my 2 mail tabs are always there and waiting.

But don't let the obvious, working methods deter you from dredging up possible OSes to port...
    An idea, but off-line storage of mail is vital to me. It also doesn't solve other failings such as a lack of a file system to organise thousands of images and select them.
    10-31-11 06:15 PM

Already on its way Mr. Nobody.

Canonical to Expand Ubuntu for Smartphones, Tablets

Canonical plans to expand its Ubuntu Linux distribution so it could be used on smartphones, tablets and other touch interface consumer electronics, said Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth.

Canonical to Expand Ubuntu for Smartphones, Tablets | PCWorld Business Center

RIM is seriously dead on the tablet space.
    Last edited by block911; 10-31-11 at 10:43 PM.
    10-31-11 10:40 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD