This is just a short story of my morning yesterday.

I have a 32GB Playbook with an OEM Blackberry Convertible case Looks to be 49.99 from blackberry but im sure you can find it cheaper. I also have an Invisible Shield made by ZAGG that looks to be 29.99 from their site and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Now to the story, I walk out for work carrying my playbook, need to run and get something before i leave so i set it down on the spoiler of my car and come back to leave. By this time you should know where this story is going. I forget its there, leave with it still on the car make it half way to work and realize it has fell off and i think im screwed. Called my mom to try and find it, she finds it on the road just after a dump truck drives over the top of it narrowly missing it sitting on the road.

She picks it up inspects it and with minor scratches on the leather convertible case but multiple deep smudges in the screen protector. I get home and inspect it myself clean the screen protector and the smudges dont go away to the point where i think it has actually made it to the PB screen so i take the protector off and there is not even a smudge on the screen.

I would share pictures but since there is nothing on my playbook and minor road rash on the leather you cant even see them in the pic that well.

Screen protector is in the process of being sent back and new one is on the way for 3.99 shipping.

Moral of the story i think the 80 bucks i had in the case and the protector were more than worth it now, just thought i would share my experience
    lyricidal and Spencerdl like this.
    06-24-11 02:44 PM
    Called my mom to try and find it, she finds it on the road just after a dump truck drives over the top of it narrowly missing it sitting on the road.
    Wait, so the dump truck actually drove over it? And its still working or did I misunderstand the above?

Either way, good reason not to go cheap on the case/cover. And I can't find that OEM convertible case any cheaper other than 49.99 either...
    06-24-11 02:56 PM
    No it didnt actually hit it with the tire just missed it
    06-24-11 03:09 PM
    Dont know if this is a bit off topic but how do you find the touch screen with the invisible shield on it???

Im glad your playbook made it. In the past I left a phone on the roof of the car and drove away. Unfortunatly when I found it, it was in more than one piece......more like 100 pieces.
    06-24-11 05:35 PM
    Nice I have this luv it Targus Truss Case/Stand for BlackBerry PlayBook
    with a screen swipe is no problem?
    06-24-11 05:35 PM
    I just got the CaseMate Pop case that my boss ordered for me. I put it in the case and went to show him and as I walked into his office, I bumped the door frame with the PB which knocked it out of my hands and onto the carpet. Talking about feeling stupid. Didn't do anything to the PB, thank goodness. I need to get a screen protector.
    06-24-11 05:43 PM
    This is good to know, I had the same set up until recently when I put the otterbox on, but left the Zagg invisible shield on. Protection is a must. I rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
    06-24-11 08:17 PM
    i have heard this story before-people leaving blackberries on the roof of the cars and realizing it halfway through their drive or some other vehicle running over it.so moral of the story is that to place all gadgets in some kind of carry on bag before stepping out.
    06-24-11 08:39 PM
    RIM devices are pretty tough compared to any of the competition. There is a story of a PB being dropped on its corner from table top height and being np worse for wear.
    06-24-11 09:15 PM
    RIM is know for making rugged devices in my house. dad recently complained his 9700 was busted, so he was looking for a new device. i asked what had happened. well, it just didn't ring as loud since he watched it fly from the hood of his truck as he was driving 65 with no case on it. needless to say, he stuck with RIM.
    06-24-11 09:40 PM
    A poster made the point a while back that as a frequent traveler, the durability of the BB was important to him though he did say that he was considering one of the new Nokias as a replacement.
    06-25-11 08:28 AM
    the durability of BB devices is often given short shrift... but it one of the many BB features that a lot of us really appreciate. Over the last 5 years I've seen a lot of busted iPhones, most beyond repair, and most from simple events like falling out of a pocket or being knocked off a table. Hardly any busted BB's.
    06-25-11 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD