So yesterday i was transferring a 2gb file over wifi to my playbook. All is well but, it was going to take over an hour at 1mb/sec, so I decided to cancel the transfer and then transfer it by usb instead where i get around 5mb/sec.

So i proceed to press cancel on the transfer dialog bog.. Of course, it has to take 5 minutes to cancel for some reason, but i digress. Thing is, as it was cancelling, the power in my home went out for a couple seconds (keep in mind the transfer operation was cancelling through wifi) so my home wifi network went down and had to take a couple minutes to reboot, interrupting the process.

In the end, the 2gb file was not in my playbook, but under the hardware window in the about screen in the settings, it showed nonetheless that i had 2gb less than previously, without the file being on my playbook. Keep in mind i only have a 16gb playbook lol. So i tried everything to somehow get it to show the correct amount of space. I searched everywhere if anyone had this problem, turns out i couldn't find any other situations like this online. I proceeded to restart the playbook, hard reset it with the power/volume buttons.. to no avail.

Thankfully, its only a week since my last backup.. and since i found no answers online, i just went ahead and wiped and restored the device. This fixed the problem, thank god.

If anyone has an easier solution, it would be nice to know for next time lol. I love my playbook, it is so awesome, words cannot describe.

Just a heads up in case anyone experiences incorrect storage capacities.
    01-19-12 11:44 AM
    There were ways around your issue without having to do a wipe.

You would have to connect your PB using the USB to your computer, then locate the media folder of your PB----- go to the file--- delete the file while the PB is 'still connected' to the computer (i.e. empty the recycle bin (PC) or empty trash (Mac)).

The other way is getting a File folder app (there are some paid and free ones in the App world). These apps lets you delete particular files. Once done, you would have to restart the device and it should have been deleted for good.

However the first method is one of choice, as it seems to work best.
    01-19-12 11:54 AM
    So yesterday i was transferring a 2gb file over wifi to my playbook. All is well but, it was going to take over an hour at 1mb/sec, so I decided to cancel the transfer and then transfer it by usb instead where i get around 5mb/sec.

So i proceed to press cancel on the transfer dialog bog.. Of course, it has to take 5 minutes to cancel for some reason, but i digress. Thing is, as it was cancelling, the power in my home went out for a couple seconds (keep in mind the transfer operation was cancelling through wifi) so my home wifi network went down and had to take a couple minutes to reboot, interrupting the process.

In the end, the 2gb file was not in my playbook, but under the hardware window in the about screen in the settings, it showed nonetheless that i had 2gb less than previously, without the file being on my playbook. Keep in mind i only have a 16gb playbook lol. So i tried everything to somehow get it to show the correct amount of space. I searched everywhere if anyone had this problem, turns out i couldn't find any other situations like this online. I proceeded to restart the playbook, hard reset it with the power/volume buttons.. to no avail.

Thankfully, its only a week since my last backup.. and since i found no answers online, i just went ahead and wiped and restored the device. This fixed the problem, thank god.

If anyone has an easier solution, it would be nice to know for next time lol. I love my playbook, it is so awesome, words cannot describe.

Just a heads up in case anyone experiences incorrect storage capacities.
    Ugh, what you are describing there is a pretty nasty file system bug that would really need to be looked at assuming that it was not just a one-off. There are many scenarios that could possibly cause significant loss of storage space if the FS has such low fault tolerance. Successful transfer or not, the file should be present somewhere on your device otherwise the FS table is corrupt. Did you check if you can see the file with one of the file managers?
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-19-12 at 12:00 PM.
    01-19-12 11:58 AM
    I have the air browser app. I had gone back into the file system through wifi and the file was there albeit small. I deleted it and the storage did not change. Was not present/visible with air browser after deletion through windows file explorer. The storage capacity was stubborn and would not change. I had done several restarts/hard resets also to no avail. This was just the only other thing i could think of doing.
    01-19-12 02:24 PM
    I do have one last concern.. its happened only about twice but once when i left the pb on sleep with no apps running and wifi off.. I come back and I happened to check the storage and I was 600mb up from when I had put it down a few hours ago. Conversely, the other day same scenario, except it was about 400mb less than when I had put it down. No apps running here and no wifi or bridge either. Is there something going on I don't know about? I have the feeling I'm the only one..
    01-23-12 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD