Ok, so I was running beta OS 2 and decided to do a security wipe to prepare myself for official OS 2 release. I made a back up of everything before the wipe, and after the wipe, I tried to restore it.

However, once I start the restore process, I get this message:

"The software version for your PB is incompatible with the data in this backup file. To continue, update your Blackberry Tablet OS."

Ok, the main reason I did the back up was so I could keep some of the back grounds I downloaded as well as my game progress. Now I can't even restore the pictures?? Is there any way I can view the individual files in the 'BBB' file? It just shows as a single file and I can't do anything with it. Ughhhh, should have never done this!!
    02-04-12 05:43 PM
    Yes you are correct that you can't do a full restore of a backup from a later OS to a an earlier one. At least some of the reasons would be 2.0 app incompatibility and other incompatibility with settings and system databases.

You have a few options.

1. Try a selective restore and only chose data and media. I seem to recall trying this myself in one downgrade situation I had.

2. Upgrade back to 2.0, perform a full restore then use wifi share to copy the files to your computer. Then try the wipe a d dowgrade again and copy the files back to your PB via wifi sharing.

3. And the one you least likely would want to do is wait for the 2.0 release and restore then.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by rjedge54; 02-04-12 at 06:08 PM. Reason: addition
    Sesami likes this.
    02-04-12 06:06 PM
    Thanks, I wish I had known this sooner. Seemed like a lot of people did security wipes and restore with their back ups, but I didn't realize there would be incompatibility issues with the back ups. My game saves... Guess I'll have to do it the hard way -_-. Should have just left it alone!!

I tried the selective restore and it would not even let me restore the pictures!!
    Last edited by Sesami; 02-04-12 at 06:33 PM.
    02-04-12 06:30 PM
    Thanks, I wish I had known this sooner. Seemed like a lot of people did security wipes and restore with their back ups, but I didn't realize there would be incompatibility issues with the back ups. My game saves... Guess I'll have to do it the hard way -_-. Should have just left it alone!!

I tried the selective restore and it would not even let me restore the pictures!!
    I've been saying that since I don't know when....mess with the bull and you get the horns.
    02-04-12 06:35 PM
    Sorry the first one didn't work out for you. I can't recall the.exact circumstances when I tried it. It was a while ago. It may haven been that I performed a selective backup first, but I am not sure I do recall at some point that I saw the same error message as you when I first attempted the restore.
    02-04-12 06:38 PM
    I don't see anything wrong with trying out the new OS, and doing a security wipe isn't exactly "tinkering with the system". I made a back up and everything should have been fine. How was I suppose to know that doing something as simple as this was going to give me problems?
    02-04-12 06:53 PM
    You may be able to get to your media. Change the file to xxx.ZIP.

Now find an unzipper program. If the archive is large, some unzippers and TAR decompressors could have issues but give it a shot.
    02-04-12 07:46 PM
    Your back up file may work with the new update. Use the beta until the new OS arrives then go back to OS1>OS2 proper then restore. It's certainly not the preferred method and may not even work but what do you have to lose?
    02-04-12 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD