Performing a battery drain test, I watched YouTube videos as the Playbook warned me of 9% Battery Remaining and then ultimately displayed the "Playbook Shutting Down" dialog box and went black. Here comes the interesting part, after the Playbook "shut down" (read, went black and was unresponsive) the sound from the YouTube video continued to play for a minute or two. I'm not sure if the video I was watching finally ended or the Playbook actually died at this point.

Next, I plugged the Playbook into the rapid charger, waited a couple of minutes, and then mashed the power button in order to get it to reset/turn back on. No response. No red LED to signify power up. I figured it just needed some more juice so I left it for a half hour to charge some more. Coming back, still no response. At this point I'm worrying a little and trying to remember when I purchased it to see if I was still in the year warranty (of course we all still are!)

Finally, I got fed up after an hour of waiting and decided to hard boot (hold power, vol up, vol down at the same time). While trying to mash all three buttons at the same time I accidentally took a screen shot (device made capture noise). This was odd as the device still would not wake up! After hard booting, the Playbook did return to normal.

Anyone had this same experience or have any ideas why the screen would go dark but the device would essentially continue running?!
    02-11-12 08:51 PM
    Well first, "Playbook battery lies" is a pretty strong and unsubstantiated statement. Second, some devices will go into a power saving mode to prevent full drain and the display going off would do this since it's a large battery draw. My laptop does this. I would ask Peter, this is his thing. But unless you've got a large number of cycles on your battery, I doubt the indicator is very far off. Get the Battery Guru to compare.
    jafobabe and peter9477 like this.
    02-11-12 09:02 PM
    I had this happen once with SimpleBrowser+. the PB locked up the screen went black and nothing I could do to regain control. Like you I waited several minutes and then had to reboot with the power button. It is likely you had the same thing happen, it didn't actually power off, it locked up the OS.
    02-11-12 09:29 PM
    First, the OS does lie about the battery. It's inevitable though... there are too many variables and inaccuracies involved for it to be possible to have a device like this read 0% at exactly the moment it truly runs out of juice (nor would you want it to do that, really).

The fact you got the screenshot sound is 100% proof the PlayBook had not actually powered off. I can't quite make out from your description what happened, except maybe it simply was frozen with the screen off. Pressing the power button wouldn't help in that case, unless you'd held it down continuously for 10s, at which point it would truly have turned off and then you could have powered it on normally.

Doing the three-finger reset worked though (along with the screenshot)... as both it and the 10s power button force-off trick always will.

Are you by any chance running the 2.0 beta? It has known issues with shutting down.
    02-11-12 09:29 PM
    Well first, "Playbook battery lies" is a pretty strong and unsubstantiated statement.
    Was just looking to get some feedback and couldn't come up with a catchy title hence the "(Poor Management)" to make it a little more serious.

Are you by any chance running the 2.0 beta? It has known issues with shutting down.
    I am on 1.0.8.6067 and was running Battery Guru the whole time. Battery Guru was actually how I knew the Playbook remained ON. When I finally cycled the power (hard boot), I started up BG and noticed the charging data was also collected after it finally "blacked out". I'd be happy to send you the info if you're interested.
    rotorwrench and peter9477 like this.
    02-11-12 09:46 PM
    First, the OS does lie about the battery. It's inevitable though... there are too many variables and inaccuracies involved for it to be possible to have a device like this read 0% at exactly the moment it truly runs out of juice (nor would you want it to do that, really).
    Second that. The meter approximates what percentage has left based on some algorithm that includes your current rate of consumption. In other words, it's just an approximation/estimation.

I have a laptop that is supposed to run 11 hours, but I usually get about 7-8 hours. This is not important. More important is the fact that I have two battery meters: Windows and the manufacturer battery meter software. The funny thing is that their readings deviate so much (at times by 20-25%) that I concluded that both are wrong. And I was right. I never get as much juice out of the battery as both of the meters show I have.
    02-11-12 09:54 PM
    The fact you got the screenshot sound is 100% proof the PlayBook had not actually powered off. I can't quite make out from your description what happened, except maybe it simply was frozen with the screen off.
    Let me try and be more clear. I don't believe the Playbook ever froze, unless it happened after the Powering Down dialog box came up and the screen blanked out. From my experience with the device, I would easily say this was simply a "ran out of power" situation as I have witnessed before. The new information in this situation is that even while it appeared as though the device was dead, it was in fact still running something (in this case, BG and YouTube player).

My guess would be that RIM cuts out control of the device and powers down/locks the screen from awakening in order to persuade/force users to plug the Playbook in even though the battery is not fully depleted. What the advantage would be for something like this is, I have no idea. Maybe someone else does?
    02-11-12 09:57 PM
    During the shutdown sequence, the screen quickly dims---but in a darkened room, it can be readily seen that the screen is still on, just very dim.

It usually turns off completely a few seconds later, but I have experienced a few situations where the shutdown hangs indefinitely. This could be the reason why some owners have reported dead batteries after "shutting down".

Another big clue that the shutdown has hung is that pressing (as opposed to holding) the power button does nothing.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 02-11-12 at 10:20 PM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-11-12 10:12 PM
    During the shutdown sequence, the screen quickly dims---but in a darkened room, it can be readily seen that the screen is still on, just very dim.

It usually turns off completely a few seconds later, but I have experienced a few situations where the shutdown hangs indefinitely. This could be the reason why some owners have reported dead batteries after "shutting down".

Another big clue that the shutdown has hung is that pressing the button (for less than ten seconds) to boot the unit appears to do nothing.
    This is exactly what I was trying to get at/uncover!
    02-11-12 10:15 PM
    This is exactly what I was trying to get at/uncover!

It's definitely a bug. Hopefully the cause has been identified and will be fixed under 2.0.
    02-11-12 10:32 PM
    RenownedAnonymous, absolutely, please send me the export data for review. :-)

I don't recall that we'd had proof that this same issue could occur under 1.0.8 but this would probably be it. It definitely sounds like what dugggggg describes though.
    02-12-12 05:25 AM
    Sent you the data peter, let us all know how it looks!
    02-12-12 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD