Best Answer

Apr 08 2016 | 9:12 am EDT brookie229

Never shut it off. I have had my Playbook for more than 2 years and have only shut it off 2-3 times. Why shut it off? Just swipe up to wake it up. Plug it in when it needs charging--pretty simple. The Playbook was designed to go through security checks on startup and it is slow. Not much you can do to change that.

More Answers

Apr 08 2016 | 4:55 pm EDT pacoman03

To actually answer your question (and I've posted this before) it is possible to significantly speed up boot times, but it involves a bit of effort. The first thing to do is search this forum. Others have posted links to all of the bar files for the PlayBook system apps. Find these and download them. Then, security wipe your PlayBook, and during the setup process, REFUSE the update that is offered. You'll be left with a Playbook with only the browser app installed. Then sideload only those system apps that you actually want and or use. Then install all of the other apps and media that you want and or use. You'll be left with a Playbook that boots up in about 1 munute 45 seconds, and you'll free up some memory as well.

Apr 09 2016 | 9:53 am EDT fschmeck

Not answering your question specifically, but I am in the habit of putting the PB in airplane mode overnight. Possibly redudant if you put it to sleep, but keeps in with a charge for days (depending on use) and beats waiting for 4 minutes or so for the thing to boot up.

Posted via CB10

Apr 16 2016 | 12:46 am EDT GusBandicoot

As said above, I used to shut down every day then start up again the next but it takes forever, now it's always on standby. Does need regular charging now though.

Posted via CB10 - 9900 -Playbook- Q10 - Passport SE (1) - Passport SE (2)

Apr 27 2016 | 11:50 pm EDT dazzleaj

Have a cup of coffee, read a book, build a house, do something other than sitting and watching the painfully ssslllooowww startup!

Apr 28 2016 | 4:33 pm EDT BoneMatrix

Have a cup of coffee, read a book, build a house, do something other than sitting and watching the painfully ssslllooowww startup!
Or simply put it into standby.

May 07 2016 | 8:39 am EDT dazzleaj

Not answering your question specifically, but I am in the habit of putting the PB in airplane mode overnight. Possibly redudant if you put it to sleep, but keeps in with a charge for days (depending on use) and beats waiting for 4 minutes or so for the thing to boot up.

Posted via CB10
I never thought of using the airplane mode as a battery extender! Obvious perhaps but I missed it completely. A great idea! I was traveling all last week and didn't need to charge the. PB once, just toggled off the airplane mode checked my email toggled back on then put it to sleep. Never turned it off. Great way to use the features! Gonna be part of my PB SOP from now on. Most likely will extend the life of the battery by a few years also. Fewer cycles per year.

May 07 2016 | 8:46 am EDT dazzleaj

Or simply put it into standby.
Yeah, that's what I usually do. I used to shut it off when traveling but as of last week I'm going to use the airplane mode as posted above and leave it on. I travel internationally and can be 30 hours in route sometimes. Don't need to shut it down now!

May 08 2016 | 7:44 am EDT Big Pete1

Never thought of that either!!

Posted via CB10

Oct 13 2016 | 4:31 pm EDT iixclusive

To actually answer your question (and I've posted this before) it is possible to significantly speed up boot times, but it involves a bit of effort. The first thing to do is search this forum. Others have posted links to all of the bar files for the PlayBook system apps. Find these and download them. Then, security wipe your PlayBook, and during the setup process, REFUSE the update that is offered. You'll be left with a Playbook with only the browser app installed. Then sideload only those system apps that you actually want and or use. Then install all of the other apps and media that you want and or use. You'll be left with a Playbook that boots up in about 1 munute 45 seconds, and you'll free up some memory as well.
Can you direct me to the links for the playbook system apps and other apps bar files, I want to try this tonight and wipe the PB and only install what I need. Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 13 2016 | 5:40 pm EDT pacoman03

Can you direct me to the links for the playbook system apps and other apps bar files, I want to try this tonight and wipe the PB and only install what I need. Any help would be appreciated.
PlayBook_QNX posted, I believe, some system apps recently. His thread was shut down, though, because he also posted some paid PB apps (a no-no around here). Maybe try going here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tried-1088348/ and ask him to repost his link minus the offending apps.

Oct 15 2016 | 12:11 pm EDT ksennette

I agree with brookie229. I leave mine on. When I'm not using it I keep it on a rapid charger dock.

Oct 15 2016 | 12:46 pm EDT kelom

I never 'shut if off', just ' standby' and ' restart' only if need it.

Posted via CB10

Dec 02 2016 | 12:43 pm EST Pixtureskk

Just my experience Pacoman. Without going through all the steps you are suggesting, I am just booting up my 64 gig Playbook which has about 46 gigs of free space so a lot of stuff on it with the charger that come with the Playbook as well as the Rapid charger. In both cases the bootup took 1 min. 45 sec which is much faster than booting with just the battery. If I am using my Playbook for longer sessions, I always plug it in. Tablets always work faster with AC power. I always turn mine off after use, I never leave computers or tablets running all the time. After the initial 1 min. 45 sec start up then I leave it on stand by then turn it off. Just the way I use it, never have any booting or battery issues.

Dec 05 2016 | 7:31 pm EST robsteve

The minute you plug in a charger, the Playbook boots the OS to run the charge program. When you then press the power button to start the Playbook, it only has to start the user interface, not the whole system. This is why a plugged in Playbook seems to boot quicker.

Posted via CB10

Dec 06 2016 | 6:46 pm EST Pixtureskk

Thanks for that info, makes sense. If I power up my Playbook, with battery only, the Blackberry Playbook title stays on a black screen for sometimes, I think, up to 20-30 sec. before the blue circular animation comes up, then the Playbook powers up from there as if the charger was on. Of course, everything work faster, more consistently with the use of the charger power supply.

Dec 07 2016 | 6:42 pm EST tatone

Learn something new everyday, I have three PlayBooks and I will use the methods mentioned above.

Posted using my Awesome BlackBerry Z30