One feature of tablets that's really important to me (although it doesn't seem to be as important to other consumers) is sound quality. I realize that tablets will never sound as good or as powerful as boomboxes, but because full, rich stereo sound can really enhance the user experience, I wish tablet makers would focus a little more on this.

With that said, the PlayBook really wins on this count. Does anyone else agree? Most tablets sound mediocre at best, but I was surprised at how clear and (relatively) powerful the speakers are. In fact, I've always enjoyed the sound quality on my BlackBerry products. One of the reasons I had opted for the Bold 9000 over the iPhone three years ago is because of its superior speakers.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, are there any other tablets that even come close to the PlayBook here? Seems like RIM should be touting the awesome sound a bit more...

Thanks, and take care, everyone.
    Superfly_FR, tHe.iR1sH and ndon70 like this.
    11-22-11 09:45 AM
    Yeah, I too have been really impressed with the sound quality and just how loud they are. Nicely done RIM.
    11-22-11 09:51 AM
    I completely agree. PB has fantastic audio. I'm one that buys a laptop with significant consideration of what is usually poor speakers, so this is a big deal to me. And the speaker placement was thought ought very well. Great separation.
    11-22-11 10:01 AM
    Speakers are certainly a great quality of the PB. Great stereo sound
    11-22-11 10:26 AM
    Video: Princeton engineer makes 3D sound a reality

check out this video! 3D sound as long as you have stereo speakers. (yes, playbook does).

You can really hear in 3D!! Crazy
    Chaddface likes this.
    11-22-11 10:36 AM
    and view it on your playbook... thats the whole point.
    11-22-11 10:43 AM
    thats freaking amazing!
    craiggger likes this.
    11-22-11 11:43 AM
    :thanks, i did all the leg work (posting)
    11-22-11 12:12 PM
    Awesome sound from that video. A bit of a tease though. I want more.
    craiggger likes this.
    11-22-11 12:16 PM
    I too agree the speakers are excellent.
    11-22-11 12:16 PM
    My dog hears me playing Angry Birds and comes over looking around to try and get them. Sounds very realistic!
    11-22-11 12:45 PM
    My dog hears me playing Angry Birds and comes over looking around to try and get them

The speakers sound very realistic!
    11-22-11 12:46 PM
    I thoroughly enjoy my PlayBook speakers. My girlfriend came over one day and heard me playing some music and could not believe it was my PlayBook producing such clarity.

check out this video! 3D sound as long as you have stereo speakers. (yes, playbook does).

WOW this is genius.
    craiggger likes this.
    11-22-11 01:04 PM
    I am genuinely impressed with the hardware overall on the pb.
    11-22-11 01:13 PM
    People are always impressed when I show off the demo video. Great screen and speakers.
    11-22-11 02:45 PM
    The speakers are one of my favorite things about the Playbook. I like to just lounge on my couch, play music through the Slacker app, and web browse or mess around with Android apps.
    11-22-11 09:50 PM
    BIG time agree- I can't believe how much they have taken advantage of such a small package. Better than my laptop that is 10x the size. It's nice not to have to drag out the earbuds, headphones or plug into your home system for decent sound.

All it needs is a subwoofer - how is that achieved? Any ideas you engineers?

This is AMAZING! Thanks! -
    Too much talking and not enough demoing - where can more examples be heard?

Where can I get one of those dummy heads to plug into the playbook?
    Oh here's one, right on my shoulders...ha!

By the way is there a stereo mic input? I don't even know.

I especially liked THIS part:
    Note: If you are using a recent Apple MacBook to view this video you may not be able to hear the demos in 3D due to a known problem in the MacBook design, related to the location of the internal "subwoofer," which creates a strong left-right imbalance in the audio. This could not be compensated for while creating the 3D audio for this video.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-23-11 at 01:34 AM.
    11-23-11 01:11 AM
    See, now no-one was slagging off other platforms or OS's or trolling in this thread until you came along. Why? There was no need.

To the OP, the speakers on the PB are probably the best I've owned. Hands down.
    11-23-11 01:58 AM
    See, now no-one was slagging off other platforms or OS's or trolling in this thread until you came along. Why? There was no need.

To the OP, the speakers on the PB are probably the best I've owned. Hands down.
    Are you talking to me? What did I say? I quoted the article that was linked, by a previous poster, and excerpted a part that I liked. Is that trolling? The topic here is playbook sound quality. I am commenting on a post. Relativity of sound quality to other platforms is relevant and on topic. Like that never happens in here, comparisons?

Actually there was no slagging until you came along. What's your problem?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-23-11 at 03:10 AM.
    11-23-11 03:03 AM

I can't get that video to run more than a few minutes. It stalls in the same spot each time I try on the pb. It works on the computer.
    11-23-11 10:05 AM
    I can't get that video to run more than a few minutes. It stalls in the same spot each time I try on the pb. It works on the computer.
    That's odd. Plays fine on mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-11 10:20 AM
    that sucks.. try rebooting your browser and if that doesnt work, reboot the playbook
    11-23-11 10:24 AM
    The Playbook speakers are the BEST on any tablet- and I have demoed a lot of them. That is the single most reason I went back out this week with the sale prices and am giving the PB another try after returning one months ago. The Apps still are nowhere (disappointment) , but music on this is Great! Now if we could only get Tunein Radio, Pandora, and that OS2 upgrade now....
    11-23-11 10:49 AM
    One thing I wish my fire had, would be better speakers.

11-23-11 11:02 AM

That's odd - works awesome on mine!

This truly is amazing! When I first heard the fly buzzing around my head I actually ducked and swatted it away from my face.

There was a 3D audio pre-processor by Carver called holographic sound or something like that..with similar theory - canceling part of the left channel, with the right signal and visa - versa worked well but not as well as this - I suppose because it used regular stereo content of things that were not recorded with a dummy head -

But really this in theory is not new.

One thing I wish my fire had, would be better speakers.

There ya go - That's why the Fire SEEMS to be just like the playbook and people expect it for the same price - but different hardware content altogether -

Sorry about that.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-23-11 at 11:06 AM.
    11-23-11 11:03 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD