Is the low stock price of something and unhappy shareholders reason enough to buy something you don't need?
    Where would RIM fit in with MS?
    Would MS abandon BBX and put WP on the BB form factor? That would be adding another unsuccessful line to their phone offerings. Not to mention p*ssing off current manufacturers of WP (Samsung, HTC etc) who are the actual customers for MS. The end user is only a customer for Samsung, HTC.
    Or does MS abandon WP and go with BBX as their phone OS? If the OP feels that that would be the winning strategy then why not let RIM do the same thing independently? After all RIM is the focussed company on BBX.
    Taking this line a little further, does MS move away from the Software developer only business and get into Hardware+Software, in which case they would have no incentive to supply other companies with their software and create competitors.

Google has already fired a warning shot by acquiring Motorola. Samsung has taken note and moved towards developing their own mobile OS and might shift focus to WP. No one likes it when their supplier become their competitor. This would definitely make for another round of OS wars, just when things were looking to consolidate and different OS's making an effort to talk to each other.
    Lastly, does the OP think that MS would do well to spin of the hardware side of RIM and start licensing the BBOS and BBX to other hardware manufacturers? Palm fiasco all over again.
    The best thing about iPhone and BB is that they have a single company working on the hardware and software and hence offer support to their users in the form of updates and customized apps. BB Travel, BB Protect, iTunes, iCloud etc. are tightly integrated apps.
    I'm putting on my flame suit, but the problem with the Androids are that there are so many models and so many manufacturers that even if Google pushes out an update the manufactures have moved on to Double Core and Quad Core because for the manufacturers its a hardware race. Thats the only way they can distinguish themselves from the others. My wife's HTC Legend hasn't had one update to 2.2 Froyo even though Google pushed out many updates.
    Google might be addressing this by buying Moto, and providing a service on the models of RIM and Apple, by controlling and supporting hardware by having a long term hardware strategy and vision and not just dumping the latest camera and processor in the market.
    So yea RIM does not fit MS, and MS is smarter than buying something just because some people want to experiment with the Stock Market.
    11-01-11 03:48 AM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Not likely to be sold or allowed by Can govt ...but if tbere was one company....IBM!!
    11-01-11 03:53 AM
    Not likely to be sold or allowed by Can govt ...but if tbere was one company....IBM!!
    IBM!! That is a different view.
    Although I don't think that RIM is doing something so stupid that they need to be acquired, if anything they have taken note of their shortcomings and are working very hard to not only overcome the shortcomings but become the leader again. But today's consumers are a very impatient and self importance seeking people.
    However, I would be interested in knowing why you think IBM would make a good partner?
    I thought IBM got out of the low prices hardware market and consolidate on their servers and client business, which seems to have been a masterstroke as they are doing very well and not saddled with competing in a thankless low cost market.
    Wouldn't smartphones be like making a re-entry into the same market?
    11-01-11 04:09 AM
    It'd cost Microsoft more than it would RIM. RIM isn't worth it.
    11-01-11 04:21 AM
    It would make Steve Jobs roll over his grave in laughter. He'd say...I knew Gates wasn't an innovator and this proves me right. Hahaha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    PTZ likes this.
    11-01-11 06:45 AM
    So there are a couple older threads on this, but I want to bring this back up with a fresh thread. I honestly think Microsoft should BUY RIM. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't already made a move. Here is the rationale:

1) RIM's stock price is down, and shareholder's are not happy - what better time to file a tender offer or hostile takeover?

2) Blackberries are basically corporate phones (biggest market) - meaning, they are basically integrated with MICROSOFT Outlook and Server, etc. If Microsoft owned RIM, it would own almost the entire value chain - software, email, hardware, etc. ****, Microsoft might even make it work BETTER since everything would be vertically integrated (think Apple).

3) Microsoft has been trying to get into the phone world for a long time and still can't seem to do it. What better way to get a customer base that already fits your corporate "DNA", while getting a cheap price on a market "leader" (they still own ~25% of the PDA market). Blackberry is obviously an established brand, with a solid OS, that has a strong hold of the corporate market. And they'd also get the playbook tablet thrown in there as well.

4) What else is Microsoft doing with the cash? It has a ton of cash just sitting on the balance sheet (like many companies in the U.S.). Not a very good use of capital. I dunno what you're getting on your checking/savings accounts, but I'm getting squat. I'm sure Microsoft is looking to put their money to work and get higher than .0000005% (joking, but rates are super low right now).

Oh, and if this happened, maybe we could FINALLY GET SKYPE FOR THE PLAYBOOK! HAH.
    Any time a takeover thread lists "What else is Microsoft doing with the cash?", you're graspin at straws.
    11-01-11 07:27 AM
    1) RIM is Canadian, it would never be allowed
    2) QNX/BBOS is better than Windows Phone OS, imo, both cannot survive in one company. If MSFT brought RIM, they would be inadvertently admitting failure of their Phone OS and also at the same thing bite their own tongue over 'Hardware Neutrality'. I also think this will definitely kill innovation when it comes to RIM / BlackBerry products (or some may argue this has already been killed but I stand otherwise corrected over new products such as PB / Enterprising Minds videos).
    3) It will never happen as Jim / Mike own a combine stake of 10% and it is very obvious they have a lot of friends who together own a significant stake in the company (or else why would they still be the co-Chairs....).
    theres just too many REAL reasons why this HYPOTHETICAL takeover is not reasonable.
    You do realize that 10% is not a lot right?
    11-01-11 07:28 AM
    What on earth does share price have to do with a "net benefit" to Canadian communities?
    The government could easily step in to prevent a buyout. The loss of Canadian jobs and the massive brain drain as the brightest minds followed the jobs south, would definitely have an adverse effect on Canadian communities.
    Make no mistake about it. Anyone thinking about buying RIM is not going to leave the company to run the way it is now. They will be breaking it up and selling pieces off for a quick buck.
    At least we don't have to worry about a company buying RIM for its patents since it doesnt really have any (comparitively).
    11-01-11 07:31 AM
    Ooh god please no.
    so they could destroy RIM?
    Ya, cuz RIM is doing that all on their own...
    Rickroller likes this.
    11-01-11 07:40 AM
    If MS bought RIM, it would be purely for the hardware and manufactoring so they could build their own WP7 phones. Seems like they have already quasi-taken over Nokia though for that benefit. They would almost certainly spinoff or sell the software side of the business.

I actually think Amazon would be a good fit. They could use RIM as a platform to push their content like they are already doing with the Kindle. They are already familar with the PB's hardware, lol. With Android Player, they could have their Android Marketplace apps available.
    11-01-11 08:59 AM
    [!!]

Originally Posted by blackjack93117:
    Ooh god please no.
    so they could destroy RIM?

+1.

RIM doesnt need another company to move in and tear it apart internally, resulting in unfinished products, alienation of consumerbase, loss of reputation in the sector, loss of market value when stock plunges, really bad reviews in the mags and blogs due to broken promises and missed targets along with other shabby business practices.

Nope. They are doing just fine on their own.

Um.....

FF22 and mustangv8 like this.
    11-01-11 02:13 PM
    Just so everyone is aware: Jim and Mike are each "controlling shareholders" and have a stranglehold on RIM's corporate actions. RIM has a poison pill which makes a take over very difficult and the Canadian gov't would very likely kill any takeover by a US or other foreign company, I believe Mike or Jim sits on the board working to tighten these restrictions even further. 10% of RIMM is worth over $1.35 billion so it is quite a large stake and not easy to defeat.
    11-01-11 02:25 PM
    I hope that never happens. This is the only scenario that could tempt me to just ship.

I think Microsoft is absolutely a despicable organization and I regret that they were not forced to break up back in 2002 (I believe) when they were under investigation for being a monopoly.
    This is not about Microsoft though. It is a larger issue about maintaining a diverse source of devices and services (many of which Microsoft killed off over time in the desktop and the office).

Take a look at Amazon. They are under pricing their devices, in part, because they know they can kill competition off. Borders is now history. B&N will be next. Amazon knows that with the unfair tax advantage of 6% and no retail outlets, they can kill the competition and are very disciplined about their methodology.

Once B&N is gone, and it is just a matter of time, we will see both Apple and Amazon start having more pricing power and surprise, prices will go up.

Innovation and creativity need to be supported and RIM has been phenomenal about playing a very ethical game. If Microsoft purchased them, all that would change and it would encourage even more concentration of power and less competition.

I don't think we are going to take our kids for story time at an Amazon warehouse so I think there is value in our traditional retailers with their beautiful stores and coffee shops.

RIM is standing against Apple, Google, Microsoft. I don't want those three to dominate the industry (maybe if I had to take one it would be Google). Remember that although Samsung sold more devices than Apple last quarter, it is only because of the Google OS so they are slaves to Google in that sense.

I want RIM to stand strong and stand on its own.
    11-01-11 02:41 PM
    in response to those who feel that the canadian govt would not intervene. the canadian government's current finance minister did his campgining with a blackberry playbook prior to it being released to the public. you think thay has anything in terms of influence on canadian protectionist laws?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    11-01-11 03:10 PM
    in response to those who feel that the canadian govt would not intervene. the canadian government's current finance minister did his campgining with a blackberry playbook prior to it being released to the public. you think thay has anything in terms of influence on canadian protectionist laws?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Obama was given an iPad before launch. Your point?
    11-01-11 03:15 PM
    Perhaps that is part of the reason for why they have lost 80% of their company value over the last 3 years and are still going south.
    mustangv8 likes this.
    11-01-11 04:22 PM
    Just so everyone is aware: Jim and Mike are each "controlling shareholders" and have a stranglehold on RIM's corporate actions. RIM has a poison pill which makes a take over very difficult and the Canadian gov't would very likely kill any takeover by a US or other foreign company, I believe Mike or Jim sits on the board working to tighten these restrictions even further. 10% of RIMM is worth over $1.35 billion so it is quite a large stake and not easy to defeat.
    In the tech world, that value is relatively worthless considering the market value they did have and will not regain. Mike n Jim whoever they are.. are welcome to hold on tight.

The captains of a sinking ship should always leave last anyway.
    11-01-11 04:27 PM
    RIM is standing against Apple, Google, Microsoft. I don't want those three to dominate the industry (maybe if I had to take one it would be Google). Remember that although Samsung sold more devices than Apple last quarter, it is only because of the Google OS so they are slaves to Google in that sense.

I want RIM to stand strong and stand on its own.
    You demonise Microsoft (unfairly imho) and stand shoulder to shoulder with the worst of them all... Google?
    11-01-11 04:30 PM
    microsoft makes enough money off RIM.

my two favorite OS's buttt really can't narrow down what to take from each... BBM, data relay meshed into wp7 I guess.
    11-01-11 08:30 PM
    So there are a couple older threads on this, but I want to bring this back up with a fresh thread. I honestly think Microsoft should BUY RIM. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't already made a move. Here is the rationale:

1) RIM's stock price is down, and shareholder's are not happy - what better time to file a tender offer or hostile takeover?

2) Blackberries are basically corporate phones (biggest market) - meaning, they are basically integrated with MICROSOFT Outlook and Server, etc. If Microsoft owned RIM, it would own almost the entire value chain - software, email, hardware, etc. ****, Microsoft might even make it work BETTER since everything would be vertically integrated (think Apple).

3) Microsoft has been trying to get into the phone world for a long time and still can't seem to do it. What better way to get a customer base that already fits your corporate "DNA", while getting a cheap price on a market "leader" (they still own ~25% of the PDA market). Blackberry is obviously an established brand, with a solid OS, that has a strong hold of the corporate market. And they'd also get the playbook tablet thrown in there as well.

4) What else is Microsoft doing with the cash? It has a ton of cash just sitting on the balance sheet (like many companies in the U.S.). Not a very good use of capital. I dunno what you're getting on your checking/savings accounts, but I'm getting squat. I'm sure Microsoft is looking to put their money to work and get higher than .0000005% (joking, but rates are super low right now).

Oh, and if this happened, maybe we could FINALLY GET SKYPE FOR THE PLAYBOOK! HAH.
    Wouldn't happen, the Canadian govt would block the transaction(just like they did when monsanto tried buying potash) and msft would be hit with a fee. Msft picked the winner with nokia on the extreme cheap.
    People were probably thinking the same thing when hpq bought palm, that has sure worked out well
    11-01-11 11:44 PM
    Obama was given an iPad before launch. Your point?
    you have to listen/read carefully ok. for the last time the Canadian government is very protective of Canadian innovation products and companies. RIMs basically one of the last 'tech giants' left in Canada. Jobs/Technical Innovation/Reputation is at stake here, the government who are probably 'buds' with RIM execs to get the pb prior to launch - will most likely work in favour of what benefits most CANADIANS (ie. keep the jobs in Canada - at the very most sell to a Canadian entity).

And 10% is significant (yes i know 10% is <20% etc....), yes its not a ton but im sure Jim and Mike has (some) friends... and i would suspect them being co-chairman and the fact may have some additional influence.....

In conclusion - no there will not be a sale.

Its like how in the states sales have to go through the FTC (think AT&T and T-mobile), similar process in Canada except since if its being sold to an foreign entity the process will even be more rigorous
    11-02-11 12:32 AM
    How about RIM hires a bunch of Apple employee's as the, including the marketing department.

11-02-11 12:41 AM
    Would Canada's Foreign Ownership Laws for Telecommunications play a role here? For example, Canadian law states the following when it comes to foreign ownership of telecommunication companies:

1. not less than eighty per cent of the members of the board of directors of the corporation are individual Canadians;

2. Canadians beneficially own, directly or indirectly, in the aggregate and otherwise than by way of security only, not less than eighty per cent of the corporation�s voting shares issued and outstanding; and

3. the corporation is not otherwise controlled by persons that are not Canadians.

The aforementioned points are highlighted in the opening Chapter of this law: House of Commons Committees - INDU (40-3) - Canada's Foreign Ownership Rules and Regulations in the Telecommunications Sector - i) Foreign Ownership and Legislation in the Canadian Telecommunications Sector

I wonder if RIM would be considered a telecommunication company or whether or not this term distinctly means companies such as Rogers and Telus? Where is a lawyer when you need one?

If it is a "technology" company, then the suggestion that Canada's government will not allow it to be taken over is moot - there are no Canadian laws that preclude foreign ownership that I am aware of. If there are, please advise.
    Usually modern statutes define specific words such as what is a telecommunications company.
    11-02-11 04:01 AM
    I think Microsoft taking over RIM would be a good thing if Gates came out of semi-retirement and took an active interest.

It would be very positive for the corporate base.

My only reservation is that with their stake in Nokia the BlackBerry line would be more of a BES line then it already is. The Nokia (Win7/8) would be the consumer line of devices.

I've always said that RIM doesn't do enough for the consumer market and in my opinion it's hurt them. They cater to the corporate clients and that's why BB lag behind with many of the features consumers want. They should look at creating two separate divisions, corporate (BES) and consumer (BIS) and market the phones accordingly. The core OS can be the same but give the consumer the features they want and leave the games and apps out of the corporate phones.
    11-02-11 06:47 AM
    Microsoft has two goals: protect Windows and protect Office. This where it makes its money, and those two products generate boatloads of cash.

Microsoft has invested a lot of its creative energy in Windows Mobile, which even is influencing Windows 8 development. As a result, Microsoft has no interest in buying RIM.

If anyone would be interested in buying RIM, it would be Google. Android is growing but has issues. It has a bad reputation for security. Also, it probably infringes on a lot of other companies' intellectual property. This has resulted in many Android phone manufacturers paying royalities to companies like Microsoft.

Plus, RIM is at least working on Android App compatibility and is getting closer at baking it into to the OS.

So, Google can buy RIM, instantly get a big boost in its security reputation, get IP protection for itself and its partners, and eventually merge QNX and Android into a single OS without losing much backward compatibility.

Plus, RIM is cheap.

Sounds like a huge win to me.

The Canadian government stopping something like this is not going to help RIM in the long run. RIM has to make and sell good products to succeed.
    11-02-11 07:55 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD