how can you be tired from something you never did?

PB rules. Best tablet out there. Don't agree? Move on, admit you made a mistake and get your wallets out.

So many sad people, its not that hard. Be happy, it just platic and metal, not that big a deal.
    07-15-12 05:56 PM
    ipad OMG!

The coolest appz!

The best screen!

It's magical and revolutionary! It keeps the kids quiet!

I can sit all day with it and enjoy the ride Apple has taken me into.

Enjoy your ipad.

Signed,

--- A kid from Shenzhen.

you are totally correct in your feelings and assessment.

i bought my PB in May 2011 , one month after its release with the hope for its greatness and because it was a RIM product.

then 4-5 months later, i got frustrated as my mother tongue language was not included in the release version nor it came out months later (still not out yet by the way and ME is one of the biggest markets for RIM!).

i liked the form factor and the 7 inch only because i never used the larger ipad.
    as your correctly mentioned, the web browser is so weak. i cant have it opened with few tabs and it ends up crashing. even when one page is open, it crashes at times. not to mention the checkered screen and the horrible bookmarking system.

i promised not to jump ship until one full year has passed by, so atleast, i would have given the PB a chance to show what it can do, improve and introduce on its seriously lacking quality app front but it has failed until now big time!

i jumped ship and went to the enemy (ipad) and i cant be any more satisfied. i bought the ipad 2 for myself and for few weeks my wife/kids have been fighting with me to use it because you can do so much with it (skype is one thing) as my wife gets to talk to her family on daily basis and see them.

the apps on the ipad are truly of high quality. nobody can claim it has thousands of fart apps as you can see alot of effort,time and resources have gone into developing them. the most important thing is that those apps are useful and i use many of them constantly.

to be honest, once you get used to reading on larger screens, it becomes a bit more difficult to go to a smaller screen as the real estate you get is needed for additional info etc.

emailing/sharing files/articles/ and soon i will have the wifi printner is a great feature.
    also, the writing on the a bigger screen is so much easier and the screen is alot more responsive and accurate than the PB.

now i know what they mean when they say any person from age 5-90 can use the ipad without issues.

like you, i can not recommend the PB to anyone anymore. i dont use mine that much or at all anymore. the kids pick it up to play games as i dont allow them to touch my ipad.

it is so good i ordered ipad 3 tody for my wife and the kids i guess can use it so i dont get any guilty feelings when im hogging mine!

the advantage the PB has to Android based tabs is its simlicity and probably other features which are more relevant if you have a BB handset.
    i tried yesterday a samsung tab and the unfortunate thing about Android it is so bloody cluttered that not everyone will be 100% satisfied with it. you need almost to be a techie to use it! my wife wife/kids will certainly not enjoy it much. the only major advantage it has (IMO)against an ipad its an open system so you can transfer any type of file you want to it but other than that the Apps and the quality of apps on the ipad is just premium to anything out there.

i downloaded the news 360 on the ipad and i have it on the PB. the difference is noticeably big. from being able to have more news and more options on the screen to being able to share news..etc...to being stable and fast enough unlike the PB version...

in a nutshell, the ipad for a reason is the leader by a big margin. the simplicity of its use along with the apps (number and quality) defeats every competition out there whether its a samsung tab in all its sizes or a PB.
    the nexus will pose a threat in its segment but for me, when i decided to get the ipad 3 today, it is clear that family would prefer a larger screen. the nexus will offer some nice hardware and power but the custom apps and screen and simpilicity is still not there.

I even considered, since i own the PB, to wait for the ipad mini which will probably be cheaper but again, the 9.7 inch is more preferable to family, easier to read, better for the eyes i guess, the kids can do whole lot more on a larger screen with apps for kids etc and most importantly my wife prefers it over the smaller screen...
    07-15-12 06:05 PM
    If RIM does turn it around and succeed, they can be sued by Apple on the same grounds as the suit Apple just won against Samsung. Only reason they have not been sued is they are no competition right now.
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 07-15-12 at 07:49 PM.
    07-15-12 07:44 PM
    The basic OS seems efficient and stable, it's a lot faster at 1 GHz than my 1 GHz Android.

But let's face it, RIM has run dry, they are just desperately copying Apple as closely as possible. The PlayBook is a blatant miniaturized copy of the iPad, and the 99xx is a blatant copy of the iPhone 4, just with a keyboard and a cheap plastic back stuck on.

If RIM does turn it around and succeed, they can be sued by Apple on the same grounds as the suit Apple just won against Samsung. Only reason they have not been sued is they are no competition right now.

I had two PB's, sold them off, and the only thing I miss is having one of them mounted on my exercise bike -- with rubber bands, since it would be a small loss if it fell and broke.
    Hehehe that one tickled me. Cheers
    07-15-12 07:48 PM
    It's actually hilarious watching anyone who makes valid criticisms about the device get verbally attacked by people who seem to think common sense is an unnecessary luxury.

People here will defend this tablet beyond any bounds of sensibility, almost with like some kind of religious zeal. Mind-boggling.
    +1...!!!

Thanks for the excellent observation....
    Just bought an ancient Atrix2 to hold me until the BB10 release next year sometime. First thing I noticed is the browser asks is if I want it to remember the password yes, not now or never .....it's the simple stuff that just adds up to a big fail for the PB and the smart phones..... it is good reading here if yah get summ popcorn...heh....
    rcm1301 likes this.
    07-15-12 07:58 PM
    It was not the point OP was trying to make, but whatever. I got here too late, keep pedaling....

Cheers.
    07-15-12 07:59 PM
    It's good to see Apple putting that $300 profit it makes on each iPaid to good use. "What? RIM is selling a tablet? Let's sue them!"
    07-15-12 08:13 PM
    huh? Is this guy talking about the same tablet that I own? Playbook, right? Cuz I don't recognize it from the description. Mine is awesome in every regard. Check your internet connection you must be using dial up.

blaming 3 hour late emails on the browser? What a maroon.
    07-15-12 09:20 PM
    People here will defend this tablet beyond any bounds of sensibility, almost with like some kind of religious zeal. Mind-boggling.
    Agreed.
    On the other hand, all the candy-a** fanbois contributing to RIM staying soft and non competitive hasnt come without a price... Instead of the multitudes holding RIM's feet to the fire, making them accountable and this encouraging them to be competitive, all the pandering and "rim, its okay no matter what you do" has resulted in the blackberry name plunging from the industry leader standard to an absolute joke... sales sliding, market share sliding, stock holder value is in the toilet... Yea, the pandering has come at a HUGE price.

The proof is in the pudding... When u see commercials on tv that expound a new app for smart phones and tablets, you only hear "iphone and android" options. Furthermore, no first tier service provider cares one iota for this tablet. Thats why we have a video chat that is only compatable with other tablets (real good business move), kobo instead of kindle, etc.

And finally, the fanbois still havent learned. The bash those who try to show some scrutiny by saying.... Get this.... "if you wanted a device that is useful, cross platform, meets the expectations the manufacturer built up in the customer base and so forth, you should have bought another tablet.

I mean... Really ?!?!

EDIT: Just checked again.. The ipad2 has better overall scores than the new ipad.. Sidenote: no ipad scores are 4 stars and above.

Playbook is over 4 stars at 4.4
    Okay well given this realistic and accurate comparison, the playbook tablet is outselling the ipad by the millions, right?

D'oh!
    Last edited by kb5zht; 07-15-12 at 09:30 PM.
    07-15-12 09:26 PM
    Really not sure why anyone would come on a site dedicated to all things BlackBerry and not expect to find people who like RIM's products. It's pretty ridiculous to insult the members of a forum for liking the products a forum is dedicated to. If you don't like the PlayBook then that's okay, just no need in insulting people or their personal choices in this case!
    Last edited by russworman; 07-15-12 at 09:51 PM.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    07-15-12 09:47 PM
    Why are you defending the device? It is a good device, if some apple fanboy doesn't like it, then let him overpay for trendy crap.
    07-15-12 09:49 PM
    I've had NONE (zero; zilch) of the aforementioned issues with either of my PBs. Maybe I'm an and don't know any better. Who knows...
    07-15-12 09:54 PM
    hey Guys, Girls,

Like my post title says, I'm sick of defending this tablet. I've been a avid user and supporter of this tablet since I picked it up Jan 2012. Since that time I have been waiting for improvements, updates, to fix the well apparent UX, functional, and technical issues with this device that I have documented and conditioned myself to ignore. I even convinced a coworker to pick one up because I touted its value and features versus other tablets, and when he tried to initialize it for the first time at work, he bricked it at the installation screen! The Technical Architect was overseeing the process and let's just say he wasn't the only one laughing. I had to manually set it up through desktop manager via USB for him. Also, The core group of friends who first introduced me to this tablet have since moved on, and when asked if one would like to BB video chat ,I got the following response, "I don't use that Piece of Sh!te anymore!" The others have since moved on to other devices.

I installed the 2.1 beta hoping for the MINIMUM improvements to the browser and there was nothing outside of the IMAP email / connection....yes, emails actually don't come in 3 hours late anymore! I keep reading comments on how this is such a great tablet, but I really can't see how one can be so blind, have confidence using this device to be productive, or how an I.T department would ever put its faith in introducing this device into a company's information eco system? How can one be productive when industry leading apps are not available, the native software is extremely weak and unorganizable, the browser is glitchy, slow, checkerboards, crashes, unreliable and has been since day one, the UX mechanism for selecting/manipulating text seems to have a mind of it's own. I can go on and on about the software and no eco system, but that's where other companies are getting it right and RIM frankly has already lost. I was so hoping to have a BB10 version on the PB by 3rd 4th quarter this year but alas, another delay.

That all being said, and with the glum outlook, how in your right mind would you ever advise someone to buy this device, especially with Nexus 7 and the projected iPad Mini coming to market BEFORE BB10!

I'll continue using my PB but I can no longer advocate for it. Sorry for the rant but trying to use it this morning on this very site, and not being unable to(had to use my laptop) was the last straw.

D.
    I said the same thing I called this product the true toy, seeing how it doesn't really do anything business related.

Yeah, the only things cool are the bridge feature for streaming content on your PB while you are on your phone doing something else, maybe a long road trip. But even at 200, the Kindle has more things going on
    07-15-12 11:41 PM
    Reading back thorugh all this and am more confused than ever..... The OP posts an oppinion but states it as a fact... Instead of saying that this is his experience with his playbook... he makes his problem all playbook problems.... how is this the fault of those responding to his OP??????
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    07-15-12 11:45 PM
    This tablet was pretty nice when it was first released. Seriously overpriced but very nice. At this point it is pointless unless you get one heck of deal buying it. I wouldn't pay more than $120. Just for kicks, I'm posting this from the Nexus 7 I bought yesterday. I was waiting for a Playbook properly priced or including mobile data. Neither happened so I chose the tablet that was at least very well priced.
    Richdog- likes this.
    07-16-12 12:16 AM

Okay well given this realistic and accurate comparison, the playbook tablet is outselling the ipad by the millions, right?

D'oh!
    Youre not thinking logically. The Op's opinion is no more realistic. The point is that many people who have playbooks like them, some do not. Many people who have ipads like them, some do not. The real point is, you can choose to look at things however way you want to, but there is no valid way. Its all bs, man. The number 1 reason the ipad sells so well is because of branding. Percentage wise, im sure as many people are happy with their playbooks as others are with their ipad. If there's any proof in this its in the best buy ratings.

Is it 100% concrete? No. But, just goes to show that there are definitely people enjoying the tablet as well, with other people disliking the ipad.

Point is, the op is just another fish in the sea that doesnt really matter on a big scale. What he says is not the definitive word of all time. There is no definitive word, but if anyone showed any material at all to disprove his post, it would be me. And if anyone presented any material which disserves the PB, its likely to happen as well. Just remember, its the same case with the ipad and all other tablets. Theres always 2 sides to every story.
    TNNurse likes this.
    07-16-12 12:21 AM
    you are totally correct in your feelings and assessment.

i bought my PB in May 2011 , one month after its release with the hope for its greatness and because it was a RIM product.

then 4-5 months later, i got frustrated as my mother tongue language was not included in the release version nor it came out months later (still not out yet by the way and ME is one of the biggest markets for RIM!).

i liked the form factor and the 7 inch only because i never used the larger ipad.
    as your correctly mentioned, the web browser is so weak. i cant have it opened with few tabs and it ends up crashing. even when one page is open, it crashes at times. not to mention the checkered screen and the horrible bookmarking system.

i promised not to jump ship until one full year has passed by, so atleast, i would have given the PB a chance to show what it can do, improve and introduce on its seriously lacking quality app front but it has failed until now big time!

i jumped ship and went to the enemy (ipad) and i cant be any more satisfied. i bought the ipad 2 for myself and for few weeks my wife/kids have been fighting with me to use it because you can do so much with it (skype is one thing) as my wife gets to talk to her family on daily basis and see them.

the apps on the ipad are truly of high quality. nobody can claim it has thousands of fart apps as you can see alot of effort,time and resources have gone into developing them. the most important thing is that those apps are useful and i use many of them constantly.

to be honest, once you get used to reading on larger screens, it becomes a bit more difficult to go to a smaller screen as the real estate you get is needed for additional info etc.

emailing/sharing files/articles/ and soon i will have the wifi printner is a great feature.
    also, the writing on the a bigger screen is so much easier and the screen is alot more responsive and accurate than the PB.

now i know what they mean when they say any person from age 5-90 can use the ipad without issues.

like you, i can not recommend the PB to anyone anymore. i dont use mine that much or at all anymore. the kids pick it up to play games as i dont allow them to touch my ipad.

it is so good i ordered ipad 3 tody for my wife and the kids i guess can use it so i dont get any guilty feelings when im hogging mine!

the advantage the PB has to Android based tabs is its simlicity and probably other features which are more relevant if you have a BB handset.
    i tried yesterday a samsung tab and the unfortunate thing about Android it is so bloody cluttered that not everyone will be 100% satisfied with it. you need almost to be a techie to use it! my wife wife/kids will certainly not enjoy it much. the only major advantage it has (IMO)against an ipad its an open system so you can transfer any type of file you want to it but other than that the Apps and the quality of apps on the ipad is just premium to anything out there.

i downloaded the news 360 on the ipad and i have it on the PB. the difference is noticeably big. from being able to have more news and more options on the screen to being able to share news..etc...to being stable and fast enough unlike the PB version...

in a nutshell, the ipad for a reason is the leader by a big margin. the simplicity of its use along with the apps (number and quality) defeats every competition out there whether its a samsung tab in all its sizes or a PB.
    the nexus will pose a threat in its segment but for me, when i decided to get the ipad 3 today, it is clear that family would prefer a larger screen. the nexus will offer some nice hardware and power but the custom apps and screen and simpilicity is still not there.

I even considered, since i own the PB, to wait for the ipad mini which will probably be cheaper but again, the 9.7 inch is more preferable to family, easier to read, better for the eyes i guess, the kids can do whole lot more on a larger screen with apps for kids etc and most importantly my wife prefers it over the smaller screen...
    wow sorry but that was way too long.. gist of it yeah you like the ipad. I'm sorry OP but I don't feel at all for you! you said you got it Jan of this year! that isn't that long! If your tired of it move on then, you don't have to defend a product you don't like. I already pre ordered the nexus 7 but I'm not on here whining about the playbook. I bought the nexus cause I like 7" form factor, quad core and I need a little hobby over the summer and an extra tablet so my wife can use one to. This doesn't mean I think the playbook is terrible though. Take the playbook for what it is, a cheap tablet that you used for 6 months. sure it has its downfalls, but if people think they are going to enjoy their ipads forever, think again... trust me ive had one, and they get boring very fast.. ** sorry rant over
    07-16-12 12:29 AM
    That is correct and maybe true in the OP case, BUT, Why is it even needed to wipe a tablet when it runs into 'issues'? That shows how 'unstable and flawed' the PB actually is. I also have a Xoom and iPad2, and NEVER had to wipe them!
    Absolutely not that this shows the PB has flaws with it. Sorry, but this a basic solution to any software out there right now.. whether it be Microsoft or Apple OS. Software can get corrupted and this is not only limited to the PB but all other devices.. I even had to wipe my kid's itouch because things got buggy on it... Your argument doesn't hold water. I have 2 playbook at home.. My wife's and mine and both are rock solid and I've never had to wipe ever. It was only a suggested solution based on other non-RIM platforms.
    07-16-12 01:13 AM
    Wow, just catching up on this thread and it has really turned into an unjustified bitchfest about the PB over nothing. I think some crackberry user comments have just become pathetic. Let's face it folks, the reason Apple and Android does so well because they got the jump on RIM with the apps and due to that some people may have gotten brainwashed with the 10" form factor. If the playbook had all the apps that Apple and Android have.. Then no one would be ********.. The other operating systems have their own share of problems and quirks too.

To me the PB at the latest OS release is solid.. It's not slow, crashes, or otherwise problematic and I own 2. There's not anything I would complain about except the app situation but we all know about that.. At least for me with the price I paid and the latest influx of PB apps, I am quite satisfied so far.

To each their own. For me, the 10" is too big.. I laugh at when I see the ipad users out and about taking pictures with it and recording videos.. It just looks so awkward and cumbersome especially when I think there's plans to use turn by turn gps navigation in the car with that ridiculous size. It's the same way I feel about the oversize Android phones and putting that "tablet-size" device to the ear when talking to someone - just looks well again ridiculous. Same with the browsers without flash.. I'd take a slightly slower browser any day then use one that doesn't try to support the whole Web experience for me. Or deal with a company that holds back on hardware upgrades just to make another buck off me in a future device. And contrary to statements so far from other members that this isn't a professional tablet and can't be used for work.. You're sadly mistaken - I've used it successfully for work for presentations, action plans, and document creation and modifications. And yeah I'm going to mention advantages to bridging, multitasking and gestures.. Which the other devices if they do.. Don't do it as well as the PB.

So there it is.. My rant complete from a BB user on a BB forum that feels the need to defend his purchase if just to regain some balance to this asinine thread and hopefully regain some proper perspective! Call me a BB fanboy if you want.. But for me I speak the truth and it's why I chose the PB.

And btw, before this thread.. I really never did feel the need to defend my purchase cause I'm alright with it.
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 07-16-12 at 02:08 AM.
    erhan8 and CeeXTwo like this.
    07-16-12 01:58 AM
    This thread does point out a core problem at RIM. The have not been sensitive enough to users perceptions and sensitive to unfixed bugs. It takes an aggressive marketing group to bang the engineers over the head until they take the kinks out to fix this. In the past they have not had that. With this new marketing person, maybe we will see improvement. They have to get it to survive. Comebacks are possible. I remember when Apple was expected to fold.
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    07-16-12 03:06 AM
    Agreed.
    On the other hand, all the candy-a** fanbois contributing to RIM staying soft and non competitive hasnt come without a price... Instead of the multitudes holding RIM's feet to the fire, making them accountable and this encouraging them to be competitive, all the pandering and "rim, its okay no matter what you do" has resulted in the blackberry name plunging from the industry leader standard to an absolute joke... sales sliding, market share sliding, stock holder value is in the toilet... Yea, the pandering has come at a HUGE price.

The proof is in the pudding... When u see commercials on tv that expound a new app for smart phones and tablets, you only hear "iphone and android" options. Furthermore, no first tier service provider cares one iota for this tablet. Thats why we have a video chat that is only compatable with other tablets (real good business move), kobo instead of kindle, etc.

And finally, the fanbois still havent learned. The bash those who try to show some scrutiny by saying.... Get this.... "if you wanted a device that is useful, cross platform, meets the expectations the manufacturer built up in the customer base and so forth, you should have bought another tablet.

I mean... Really ?!?!

D'oh!
    Are you delusional? Do you really thinking bashing a product on a random website that has no affiliation with the company does anything? The media has really glazed your eyes over. The absurdity of your comment astounds me. Do you think yelling at the TV when watching sports changes the outcome of the games?
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    07-16-12 03:19 AM
    for almost 3 months now i didnt experience any problems with my playbook, taking note that the playbook was my first BB gadget. i just wanted to have a taste of the Blackberry experience thru this cheap tablet. and i can say its money well spent.

yes it has still many faults and i think other newer tablets are better but it is within our own simple satisfaction for us to be able to enjoy this tablet.

maybe OP's and the others who complain that their playbooks have defects have bought a defective one (as i am hearing that some price dropped playbooks on online stores are sometimes defective or refurbished units -rumors) glad i bought a cheap good one.
    07-16-12 04:17 AM
    Agreed.

The proof is in the pudding...
    I hate to be off topic but your quote is entirely incorrect. The actual quotation is:

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

I really can't abide it when a very succinct quotation is mis-quoted.

The ghashing of teeth may continue ... aka ... Let's mislead people about the Playbook
    07-16-12 06:05 AM
    I have had a few people ask me about my Playbook. I find it hard to recommend it because if it wasn't given to me as a gift, I'd likely sell it (I would not have gotten it in the first place, I'm sad to say). But I'm hanging onto it to give it every possible chance, including waiting for BB10. Unfortunately, that could be another year. I have dedicated too much time on my PB and following the whole RIM story to give up now lol

It seems to me that a team at RIM developed the UI and other features without any input from focus groups. I picture Apple having 1000 average joes trying out there devices and requiring them to make notes on the good and the bad. Apple makes improvements and gets another 1000 to test the device again. It feels like RIM did not get any feedback from a select group representing the consumer world. I wish they would hire me; I'd love to work on it!
    FF22 likes this.
    07-16-12 07:26 AM
    This is absolutely hilarious. I have been a BB user for years and have always found it reliable. This is a tool. A tool works based on what the user can or cannot do, or understand.

Playbook bridge blows away any need for Native email etc. Browser works incredible. Android apps such as Maps work with no internet connection. For business as a Realtor I am able to store all my clients info, use it to showcase homes, maps for areas, compass, level, so many tools. Let's see, Mortgage calculator, Land Transfer tax, Realtor App. Wow...Also Signature on line. In my office there are about have a dozen Playbooks and similar number of Ipads. I constantly get asked how can I make my Ipad do that.

The one thing though is: BB phone is Perfect with Playbook. Also, assuming you are looking as a business tool you cannot go wrong.

I have had so many folks tell me when they see me using the Playbook how they love their Ipads. I usually ask them can I see it and 99% of the time they answer: Well I leave it at home as it is to big to carry.

Personally I feel they are all great tools. The key is to learn how to make them work the way you want them to.

With local Hotspots, Bridging, & Mobile Hotspots, I have no need for the 4G Playbook.

These are either tools or toys depending on the users. Or in some cases both.

Brian
    anon(4018671) and CeeXTwo like this.
    07-16-12 07:54 AM
116 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD