Who/why would you have to defend yourself/tablet? Do you experience regular attacks?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    My guess would be.............. only on here.
    sagec, bungaboy, louzer and 1 others like this.
    07-15-12 09:12 AM
    My guess would be.............. only on here.
    Troll much.
    07-15-12 09:18 AM
    Troll much.
    Actually no I don't. Do you?
    bungaboy and jivegirl14 like this.
    07-15-12 09:21 AM
    They've all got strengths and weaknesses. None of them are perfect. If you feel like you have to defend yours, you've probably got the wrong one. If someone asks about mine, I tell them what I like about it without defending it and without comparing it in superlatives to anything else, and I'll tell them where I think it falls short. But everyone I've showed it to is usually at least fairly impressed; and, ironically, I've yet to have anyone bash it outside of these forums.

Bottom line, it's your device. If what you have doesn't do what you need it to do to your satisfaction, then find one that does. End of story.

Troll much.
    kbz a troll? Surely you jest.
    07-15-12 09:28 AM
    Not really, i try to post relevant information not utter my hatred against a forum.
    While I agree there are a fair amount of trolls on this forum, I suggest you flag or report them to the moderating staff and by doing so actually contribute to a troll-free forum.

I do acknowledge your insights and you deserve some merit cause of your helpful posts on this forum, but you're last comment was just spiteful towards CB. Hence my comment.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-15-12 09:29 AM
    Personally I don't have the problems with my pb that you say you do and I love mine. If you're that unhappy with your pb you should definitely be using something else. Can't imagine ever feeling like I needed to defend or advocate for a tablet. It's an electronic device, not a member of my family. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-15-12 10:01 AM
    Not really, i try to post relevant information not utter my hatred against a forum.
    While I agree there are a fair amount of trolls on this forum, I suggest you flag or report them to the moderating staff and by doing so actually contribute to a troll-free forum.

I do acknowledge your insights and you deserve some merit cause of your helpful posts on this forum, but you're last comment was just spiteful towards CB. Hence my comment.
    You mis read it

Knowing we can't hear the tone of which it was spoken doesn't mean we can make what we want of a post.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-15-12 10:26 AM
    You mis read it

Knowing we can't hear the tone of which it was spoken doesn't mean we can make what we want of a post.
    Thanks, I do not know how that was hatred toward this forum. It was a guess of the OP's statement.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-15-12 10:31 AM
    For well over a year now, the PlayBook has been the one and only tablet that connects to the internet, at no additional monthly cost, within bluetooth range of virtually any BlackBerry handset.

Considering WiFi at "home" would have cost me an extra $20-50 a month, purchasing the PB was a total no-brainer, especially at $200. Is it perfect? No. Is it good? Yes. My only real complaint is that the monkey glass screen did not hold up nearly as well as I was led to believe it would.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    07-15-12 10:33 AM
    For well over a year now, the PlayBook has been the one and only tablet that connects to the internet, at no additional monthly cost, within bluetooth range of virtually any BlackBerry handset.

Considering WiFi at "home" would have cost me an extra $20-50 a month, purchasing the PB was a total no-brainer, especially at $200. Is it perfect? No. Is it good? Yes. My only real complaint is that the monkey glass screen did not hold up nearly as well as I was led to believe it would.
    The playbook has gorilla / monkey glass does it ? I didn't know about that
    Bluemoonjules likes this.
    07-15-12 10:48 AM
    Move on! I don't complain for months I simply move on. Some people are not capable of that.
    For $200 bucks what other Tablet compared to the Playbook in January?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    07-15-12 11:13 AM
    Ya the playbook does have its glitches but one has to remember it's not a fully product. And yes, it's missing apps. But I do have to say that when my girlfriend is screaming at her ipad because websites are not loading, she reaches for my playbook.
    lynxs_claw and bungaboy like this.
    07-15-12 11:16 AM
    hey Guys, Girls,

Like my post title says, I'm sick of defending this tablet. I've been a avid user and supporter of this tablet since I picked it up Jan 2012. Since that time I have been waiting for improvements, updates, to fix the well apparent UX, functional, and technical issues with this device that I have documented and conditioned myself to ignore. I even convinced a coworker to pick one up because I touted its value and features versus other tablets, and when he tried to initialize it for the first time at work, he bricked it at the installation screen! The Technical Architect was overseeing the process and let's just say he wasn't the only one laughing. I had to manually set it up through desktop manager via USB for him. Also, The core group of friends who first introduced me to this tablet have since moved on, and when asked if one would like to BB video chat ,I got the following response, "I don't use that Piece of Sh!te anymore!" The others have since moved on to other devices.

I installed the 2.1 beta hoping for the MINIMUM improvements to the browser and there was nothing outside of the IMAP email / connection....yes, emails actually don't come in 3 hours late anymore! I keep reading comments on how this is such a great tablet, but I really can't see how one can be so blind, have confidence using this device to be productive, or how an I.T department would ever put its faith in introducing this device into a company's information eco system? How can one be productive when industry leading apps are not available, the native software is extremely weak and unorganizable, the browser is glitchy, slow, checkerboards, crashes, unreliable and has been since day one, the UX mechanism for selecting/manipulating text seems to have a mind of it's own. I can go on and on about the software and no eco system, but that's where other companies are getting it right and RIM frankly has already lost. I was so hoping to have a BB10 version on the PB by 3rd 4th quarter this year but alas, another delay.

That all being said, and with the glum outlook, how in your right mind would you ever advise someone to buy this device, especially with Nexus 7 and the projected iPad Mini coming to market BEFORE BB10!

I'll continue using my PB but I can no longer advocate for it. Sorry for the rant but trying to use it this morning on this very site, and not being unable to(had to use my laptop) was the last straw.

D.
    At it's price point today, the PlayBook is already positioned as a cheap and crappy alternative to a good tablet. It's sales are terrible, etc... what else do you want to do to this poor thing?

I think the bigger point we should be focusing on is recommending junk to a friend without properly evaluating all of the available options.

Set up a mobile hotspot on your phone and have your other device join. This functionality has been out for at least a year or two before the PlayBook existed.
    Last edited by rdkempt; 07-15-12 at 11:30 AM.
    07-15-12 11:27 AM
    Thanks, I do not know how that was hatred toward this forum. It was a guess of the OP's statement.
    I think most of us knew exactly what you were saying and those of us who have been here for the long haul know exactly where you stand. No worries.
    07-15-12 11:33 AM
    For the users that have to come on here boasting that their playbook is garbage and that one with one button is better then go on get the out of here!!!!!!! Personally sounds like the id10t user error in full swing. Admit it you were too damn cheap to buy the maxipad to start but felt the urge to follow the sheep. Well then go join your damn herd and leave us in the blackberry universe alone and happy. Dont let the door hit your a*s on the way out!!!!!!!!!
    07-15-12 11:35 AM
    Set up a mobile hotspot on your phone and have your other device join. This functionality has been out for at least a year or two before the PlayBook existed.
    For me this would cost an extra 20$ a month and my unlimited data plan would drop to 5GB. I understand that tethering is not unique to the PB but free is. The bridge app also does many other things a simple hotspot connection does not.
    I have seen WIFI bridge mentioned and I hope they plan on implementing soon.
    tjseaman and dugggggg like this.
    07-15-12 11:57 AM
    What I do not understand is your need to "defend" anything.... After all it is a "device"..... Not a family member..... It does not need defending.... If other people trash it... so what!!!..... I find all the tablets I use deficeint somewhere... even the King.... the Ipad... bought my playbook at launch.... with the exceptions of occassional work use and my wife's facebbok games.... my Ipad had been collecting dust... is it because the Playbook is so much better... of course not... newsflash... it is how it works for you.....

As for how it operates... you fall into the sam trap many do.... I am in the computer business... hear it all the the time... "IT'S MY COMPUTER"....I serviced a laptio for Malware infection last week. Fixed it all up... sent it back to the client... started getting calls telling me their internet was not working correctly.... they demanded to know "what I did to their computer".... after a day or so I figured out the issue was therir telephone lines... They had a bad storm the night before aned it scr@#wed up their phone lines... Phone company fixed the issue... Internet works great now....at the time "it was the :computer and what I did."...

The checkerboard effect can be for a number of reasons with nothng to do with the Playbook... I own an IPad and HP Touchpad running Andorid 4.0 as well as my Playbook... All conenct the same via web browseing at home, Playbook does browse noticably qucker compared to the other two... but no lag on any of them....Talke them into the city where my relatives have cable internet.... the internet performance driop in half on all the tablets... not just the Playbook.... SO why would this be a "Playbook" issue.....Why users blame their devices when there are so many components between your device and the internet is beyond me... so to blame the Playbook is simply silly.... Are there going to be lemons... sure .. but guess what "That's Life"..... does not make all Playbook "garbage"......

Why must people continue to express an oppinion as fact and cause problems for themselves and others... what is ironic in the OP is the writer is doing exactly the same thing he is upset about... someone "bashing" the Playbook.... Bit of a doulbe standatd eh???????
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 07-15-12 at 12:14 PM.
    lynxs_claw, Hamp, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    07-15-12 12:00 PM
    "I'm tired of defending this tablet" -- well I'M tired of reading threads like this. Take this garbage somewhere else. Someone mentioned elsewhere in the thread that it's a device of choice, not a family member.

Who bought it again? Oh right, YOU did! The thread title should be "I'm tired of defending my own choices".
    07-15-12 12:08 PM
    me thinks...you use...too...many....elipsis.

RCK
    07-15-12 12:08 PM
    People buy things with expectation and/or promise that things will get better, but they almost never do. Don't buy on what you think it will become, buy on what it is.

It Never Gets Better
    07-15-12 12:35 PM
    Not all smartphones supported this function, nor did all carriers. My relatively modern BB 9370 still does not---on my carrier at least---a year after its release.

The playbook has gorilla / monkey glass does it ? I didn't know about that
    As research for my PB purchase, I viewed this CrackBerry YouTube video, which suggested the screen could survive being carried around in the pocket of cargo shorts:

But after only a month, numerous microfractures had appeared, and one of them grew into a single macrofracture, which has been annoyingly migrating across my screen since April.

I guess one might expect that since the $200 Kindle Fire has gorilla glass, so too should a $500 PlayBook...
    Last edited by dugggggg; 07-15-12 at 01:08 PM.
    07-15-12 12:46 PM
    I like my PB but in no way do I think it's the greatest tablet ever made. Let us know what you get and tell us the pros and cons of your new device.
    07-15-12 12:49 PM
    The issue may be between the pb and the couch ... It's a toy just like everything else.. we all have our good days and bad with our electronics...
    07-15-12 12:49 PM
    I have had mine since April and no cracks.
    07-15-12 12:50 PM
    hey Guys, Girls,

Like my post title says, I'm sick of defending this tablet. I've been a avid user and supporter of this tablet since I picked it up Jan 2012. Since that time I have been waiting for improvements, updates, to fix the well apparent UX, functional, and technical issues with this device that I have documented and conditioned myself to ignore. I even convinced a coworker to pick one up because I touted its value and features versus other tablets, and when he tried to initialize it for the first time at work, he bricked it at the installation screen! The Technical Architect was overseeing the process and let's just say he wasn't the only one laughing. I had to manually set it up through desktop manager via USB for him. Also, The core group of friends who first introduced me to this tablet have since moved on, and when asked if one would like to BB video chat ,I got the following response, "I don't use that Piece of Sh!te anymore!" The others have since moved on to other devices.

I installed the 2.1 beta hoping for the MINIMUM improvements to the browser and there was nothing outside of the IMAP email / connection....yes, emails actually don't come in 3 hours late anymore! I keep reading comments on how this is such a great tablet, but I really can't see how one can be so blind, have confidence using this device to be productive, or how an I.T department would ever put its faith in introducing this device into a company's information eco system? How can one be productive when industry leading apps are not available, the native software is extremely weak and unorganizable, the browser is glitchy, slow, checkerboards, crashes, unreliable and has been since day one, the UX mechanism for selecting/manipulating text seems to have a mind of it's own. I can go on and on about the software and no eco system, but that's where other companies are getting it right and RIM frankly has already lost. I was so hoping to have a BB10 version on the PB by 3rd 4th quarter this year but alas, another delay.

That all being said, and with the glum outlook, how in your right mind would you ever advise someone to buy this device, especially with Nexus 7 and the projected iPad Mini coming to market BEFORE BB10!

I'll continue using my PB but I can no longer advocate for it. Sorry for the rant but trying to use it this morning on this very site, and not being unable to(had to use my laptop) was the last straw.

D.
    I feel your pain but in all fairness to RIM they have never been able to produce a browser that was adequate. And I bounty BB10 will be any different.
    07-15-12 01:13 PM
116 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD