hey Guys, Girls,

Like my post title says, I'm sick of defending this tablet. I've been a avid user and supporter of this tablet since I picked it up Jan 2012. Since that time I have been waiting for improvements, updates, to fix the well apparent UX, functional, and technical issues with this device that I have documented and conditioned myself to ignore. I even convinced a coworker to pick one up because I touted its value and features versus other tablets, and when he tried to initialize it for the first time at work, he bricked it at the installation screen! The Technical Architect was overseeing the process and let's just say he wasn't the only one laughing. I had to manually set it up through desktop manager via USB for him. Also, The core group of friends who first introduced me to this tablet have since moved on, and when asked if one would like to BB video chat ,I got the following response, "I don't use that Piece of Sh!te anymore!" The others have since moved on to other devices.

I installed the 2.1 beta hoping for the MINIMUM improvements to the browser and there was nothing outside of the IMAP email / connection....yes, emails actually don't come in 3 hours late anymore! I keep reading comments on how this is such a great tablet, but I really can't see how one can be so blind, have confidence using this device to be productive, or how an I.T department would ever put its faith in introducing this device into a company's information eco system? How can one be productive when industry leading apps are not available, the native software is extremely weak and unorganizable, the browser is glitchy, slow, checkerboards, crashes, unreliable and has been since day one, the UX mechanism for selecting/manipulating text seems to have a mind of it's own. I can go on and on about the software and no eco system, but that's where other companies are getting it right and RIM frankly has already lost. I was so hoping to have a BB10 version on the PB by 3rd 4th quarter this year but alas, another delay.

That all being said, and with the glum outlook, how in your right mind would you ever advise someone to buy this device, especially with Nexus 7 and the projected iPad Mini coming to market BEFORE BB10!

I'll continue using my PB but I can no longer advocate for it. Sorry for the rant but trying to use it this morning on this very site, and not being unable to(had to use my laptop) was the last straw.

D.
    Last edited by leedium; 07-15-12 at 05:37 AM.
    07-15-12 05:35 AM
    Dude, maybe ur expectations were too high...

I don't know if u want to sell it anyday, but with that description, is gonna be hard ^^

Relax, and sideload some stuff

Sent from a beautiful but old BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    07-15-12 06:04 AM
    What is glitchy about the browser?

The only thing I've noticed is if I'm browsing in a tab and click a link which opens a second tab then close it, tab 1 doesn't let me go back with the arrow at the top left.
    07-15-12 06:06 AM
    I'm curious: I've never seen a PB brick during the initial setup. At which stage exactly did it "brick"?

Was it a newer PB? What capacity? Flush power button or raised? And what OS version was present when he initially started it? Was it still running 1.xx?

RCK
    07-15-12 06:08 AM
    you are totally correct in your feelings and assessment.

i bought my PB in May 2011 , one month after its release with the hope for its greatness and because it was a RIM product.

then 4-5 months later, i got frustrated as my mother tongue language was not included in the release version nor it came out months later (still not out yet by the way and ME is one of the biggest markets for RIM!).

i liked the form factor and the 7 inch only because i never used the larger ipad.
    as your correctly mentioned, the web browser is so weak. i cant have it opened with few tabs and it ends up crashing. even when one page is open, it crashes at times. not to mention the checkered screen and the horrible bookmarking system.

i promised not to jump ship until one full year has passed by, so atleast, i would have given the PB a chance to show what it can do, improve and introduce on its seriously lacking quality app front but it has failed until now big time!

i jumped ship and went to the enemy (ipad) and i cant be any more satisfied. i bought the ipad 2 for myself and for few weeks my wife/kids have been fighting with me to use it because you can do so much with it (skype is one thing) as my wife gets to talk to her family on daily basis and see them.

the apps on the ipad are truly of high quality. nobody can claim it has thousands of fart apps as you can see alot of effort,time and resources have gone into developing them. the most important thing is that those apps are useful and i use many of them constantly.

to be honest, once you get used to reading on larger screens, it becomes a bit more difficult to go to a smaller screen as the real estate you get is needed for additional info etc.

emailing/sharing files/articles/ and soon i will have the wifi printner is a great feature.
    also, the writing on the a bigger screen is so much easier and the screen is alot more responsive and accurate than the PB.

now i know what they mean when they say any person from age 5-90 can use the ipad without issues.

like you, i can not recommend the PB to anyone anymore. i dont use mine that much or at all anymore. the kids pick it up to play games as i dont allow them to touch my ipad.

it is so good i ordered ipad 3 tody for my wife and the kids i guess can use it so i dont get any guilty feelings when im hogging mine!

the advantage the PB has to Android based tabs is its simlicity and probably other features which are more relevant if you have a BB handset.
    i tried yesterday a samsung tab and the unfortunate thing about Android it is so bloody cluttered that not everyone will be 100% satisfied with it. you need almost to be a techie to use it! my wife wife/kids will certainly not enjoy it much. the only major advantage it has (IMO)against an ipad its an open system so you can transfer any type of file you want to it but other than that the Apps and the quality of apps on the ipad is just premium to anything out there.

i downloaded the news 360 on the ipad and i have it on the PB. the difference is noticeably big. from being able to have more news and more options on the screen to being able to share news..etc...to being stable and fast enough unlike the PB version...

in a nutshell, the ipad for a reason is the leader by a big margin. the simplicity of its use along with the apps (number and quality) defeats every competition out there whether its a samsung tab in all its sizes or a PB.
    the nexus will pose a threat in its segment but for me, when i decided to get the ipad 3 today, it is clear that family would prefer a larger screen. the nexus will offer some nice hardware and power but the custom apps and screen and simpilicity is still not there.

I even considered, since i own the PB, to wait for the ipad mini which will probably be cheaper but again, the 9.7 inch is more preferable to family, easier to read, better for the eyes i guess, the kids can do whole lot more on a larger screen with apps for kids etc and most importantly my wife prefers it over the smaller screen...
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    07-15-12 06:16 AM
    I don't find the browser on my playbook to be glitchy or crash. I do get a checkerboard sometimes when a page has not fully loaded and I try to scroll down. But when I compare the PB side by side with my friends Kindle Fire, the PB browser is faster and renders most pages more accurately than the Fire. Also I can have more browser tabs open at once without slowing to a crawl.

I will say that the browser uses to much memory when running for my liking, but haven't really run into many problems because if it. Occasional slow downs if I have to many tabs open, usually when involving flash sites.

The copy/paste can be a little funky at times...But I think I have the hang of it now and can usually get it done on the first try now.

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your playbook.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    07-15-12 06:28 AM
    Reading some of the posts on here it's like Blackberry is a religion or something!

You buy a product which was rushed to market, has buggy software and won't be ready to sell until 2013.

Then you defend it like it's your child or something and stick up for it against the competition.

It's a gadget, that's all. Nobody asks you to defend it.

Here's my defence of the playbook (for anyone who cares): it's got decent hardware, I can live with the bugs and it was cheaper than anything else at the same price point. It's effectively disposable and I won't worry if it gets broken or stolen. It's the right size for me and I feel like I got value for money. When it is stolen or breaks or outlives it's useful life, I will buy another gadget, not care what brand it has written on it and I'll move on.
    07-15-12 06:43 AM
    Reading some of the posts on here it's like Blackberry is a religion or something!

You buy a product which was rushed to market, has buggy software and won't be ready to sell until 2013.

Then you defend it like it's your child or something and stick up for it against the competition.

Here's my defence of the playbook (for anyone who cares): it's got decent hardware, I can live with the bugs and it was cheaper than anything else at the same price point. It's effectively disposable and I won't worry if it gets broken or stolen. It's the right size for me and I feel like I got value for money. When it is stolen or breaks or outlives it's useful life, I will buy another gadget, not care what brand it has written on it and I'll move on.
    It's actually hilarious watching anyone who makes valid criticisms about the device get verbally attacked by people who seem to think common sense is an unnecessary luxury.

People here will defend this tablet beyond any bounds of sensibility, almost with like some kind of religious zeal. Mind-boggling.
    07-15-12 06:55 AM
    All I can say is the OP has an opinion and something is wrong with their pb. I do not experience most of the complaints beyond some checkerboarding when not waiting for a page to load and scrolling before it does, yes function still missing and if you need certain apps.
    07-15-12 06:58 AM
    I appreciate your perspective. I just got a PlayBook yesterday and think it's great (at least so far)! But I will agree with you that setting it up for the first time was a bit of a hassle. There were times when I had to swipe back a few steps and disconnect-reconnect the wifi in order to get it to work. But nothing I couldn't handle (I certainly didn't need a Technical Architect lol).
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-15-12 07:07 AM
    What's more, based on the OP's other posts, the majority of his time here has been spent referring to the browser as a POS and to a wholesale opinion that all PB's native apps are dirt, this thread is neither a surprise nor any more valid than the others.

Just why some people like to post disparaging remarks is beyond me. Perhaps boredom with their other devices gives them too much time on their hands? (This would apply to the toadies who toss in their agreement with the OP.)

If the OP is really so unhappy, then he should sell his PB (if it really exists) and move on to something that might entertain him better.
    07-15-12 07:17 AM
    Works for me for browsing and watching movies in bed. Wish someone would come up with a decent Audiobook reader app( use my palm treo for that), why I would even spend money for it. lol

Would I recommend it? - yep to my enemies. Going to the garbage ,with no regrets, when it finally croakes.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    07-15-12 07:28 AM
    OP its bad form to complain about the Beta as it is for developers. Did you not know that?

The PB isn't everything and I don't need to defend it. I use it! Its a great little tablet thats a perfect size for games/email etc but a little small sometimes too. Just like a 10 inch pad would be really big to play games with lol. No one is forcing you to like it!

Its true there needs to be more features but they probably won't arrive until BB10 is out
    07-15-12 07:36 AM
    Not as tired as I am of reading these same old threads about this tablet being a POS.
    07-15-12 07:42 AM
    To the OP, since you purchased your PB in January 2012, I am assuming you paid about $250 US for your 32 GB model. Which $250 tablet do you wish you would have purchased last January instead of the PB, and why?
    07-15-12 07:54 AM

For the most part, I agree with your assessment. It's a $200 piece of electronics that is/will be outdated the day you buy it. It does what I want it to do and is good quality.
    I do not recommend them to inexperienced people as an alternative to the iPad but I do recommend them to people that understand the limitations.

It wasn't cheaper than anything else at the same price point, it was the same price as anything else at the same price point.
    It was better than anything at the same $200-$300 price point at the time.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-15-12 07:57 AM
    It's just a tablet. No need to defend it.
    07-15-12 08:22 AM
    I bought my Playbook about two weeks ago when I saw it for sale new for $169 at buy.com. I never heard of the Playbook before seeing the sale. I've been using an ipad for years, and android phones for years. I just got my pre-ordered nexus 7 Friday. The Nexus 7 is the best Android device I have ever used, as Jellybean rocks coupled with the quad core processor in the Nexus 7. Without reservation, I will suggest to anyone looking for a first-time 7" tablet to go for the Nexus 7.
    07-15-12 08:23 AM
    lol my little sister usually open 40 tabs or more and no crashing
    axeman1000 likes this.
    07-15-12 08:27 AM
    It's just a tablet. No need to defend it.
    Otterbox thinks differently

#justsaying
    FF22 and diegonei like this.
    07-15-12 08:27 AM
    People defend it to justify their(bad) choice!

When i bought mine i knew the limitations(i read posts, i watched videos,etc), so i knew that a PB is somewhat limited compared with an Ipad or with a Galaxy Tab,etc.

But i bought it anyway due not just to its lower price, but because its price/quality ratio was higher, comparing to the offers.

I knew also that there were less apps, and i was ready to live with that. But then, "i" discovered "sideloading"...

Happy with it, because i was an informed buyer.

Pedro

kozmo68, Deu2e and Hamp like this.
    07-15-12 08:31 AM
    An interesting and valid post although subjective. The international company I work for has long been exclusively BB, but had problems trying to bring the PB online; RIM has told them that BB10 will require a complete overhaul of their email system. So, they are going over to iOS, and allowing BYOD access.
    So, looks like officially I will be forced to the dark side, but will still personally stick with RIM as much as possible.
    07-15-12 08:37 AM
    People defend it to justify their(bad) choice!

When i bought mine i knew the limitations(i read posts, i watched videos,etc), so i knew that a PB is somewhat limited compared with an Ipad or with a Galaxy Tab,etc.

But i bought it anyway due not just to its lower price, but because its price/quality ratio was higher, comparing to the offers.

I knew also that there were less apps, and i was ready to live with that. But then, "i" discovered "sideloading"...

Happy with it, because i was an informed buyer.

Pedro

The first line of this post is why good people have left here for putting up with this presumptuous dross. It seems some people know others more than others know themselves.

*shiny
    07-15-12 08:42 AM
    Who/why would you have to defend yourself/tablet? Do you experience regular attacks?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    07-15-12 09:09 AM
    Its sad but true, not presumptuous.

07-15-12 09:11 AM
116 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD