Well, I sent in my playbook yesterday. RMA with RIM so it went FedEx. This will be the first day of full withdraws. It's going to be tough. I guess I'll go build a puzzle or learn to knit or maybe take up indoor lawn bowling.

Any suggestions other than suicide? My son needs his dad so unfortunately I can't.
    bitek and CDM76 like this.
    01-10-12 12:44 PM
    My condolences... what did you need to send it back for??

In the mean time, you can check out all the goodies (which I know you have been) on the Blog page and anticipate getting your PB back in time to do all the upgrades! Hopefully you made a good backup, and with any luck you might get your PB back shipped with 2.0!
    01-10-12 12:48 PM
    It's going to be tough.

it is going to be really tough if they roll out OS 2 while your Playbook is away
    collapsed likes this.
    01-10-12 12:52 PM
    it is going to be really tough if they roll out OS 2 while your Playbook is away
    That's just mean of you to put that thought in his head, lol.
    01-10-12 12:53 PM
    dropped mines on thursday cracked screen than screen ended up being none fuctional. So I contacted RIM sent it to them fedex overnight(lastnight). Im just wondering how long it will take to come back to me.
    01-10-12 12:54 PM
    Well, I sent in my playbook yesterday. RMA with RIM so it went FedEx. This will be the first day of full withdraws. It's going to be tough. I guess I'll go build a puzzle or learn to knit or maybe take up indoor lawn bowling.

Any suggestions other than suicide? My son needs his dad so unfortunately I can't.
    I just got off with tech support.
    There were two RMA options.

1.) They send you one in two-days, then you send your old one back within 10-days of getting the new one (Also puts a hold of $499/$599/$699 on your credit card until the old one is received).

2.) You send them your old one and they try to fix it...if they deem that it can't be fixed then they send you one.
    01-10-12 12:54 PM
    When my BF gets down in the dumps I tell him to man up and come get some of this good coochie. It works everytime. So I suggest you not think about your PB and go get some . Why did you have to send it back?
    01-10-12 12:58 PM
    Had to send it in, it was heating up at the CPU and bulging the back out at the logo. Should get it back in 5-7 days but yea, it sucks.

I'm watching all the demos and I'm thinking it a good thing theres not a demo/beta available to install or I would end up purchasing another playbook. If I could get that OS now, I would have to.

They gave me the option of dinging my CC for the cost of one and sending it to me, then I send mine to them, but all in it was going to be 647.00. I was like no, I paid 199.00 and you want to ding me 647.00. No. So I wait. Bummer it is indeed.
    01-10-12 01:06 PM
    It doesnt take that long. They'll hv it by tomorrow morning so around 11am the next day you cn go under playbook support on the Rim site and put in your tablet serial # and check the status. You cn even get the Fedex tracking # from there when they send it back....usually you'll hv it back Thursday or Fri
    01-10-12 01:09 PM
    Had to send it in, it was heating up at the CPU and bulging the back out at the logo. Should get it back in 5-7 days but yea, it sucks.

I'm watching all the demos and I'm thinking it a good thing theres not a demo/beta available to install or I would end up purchasing another playbook. If I could get that OS now, I would have to.

They gave me the option of dinging my CC for the cost of one and sending it to me, then I send mine to them, but all in it was going to be 647.00. I was like no, I paid 199.00 and you want to ding me 647.00. No. So I wait. Bummer it is indeed.
    $647 unless it's sent back.
    01-10-12 01:12 PM
    When my BF gets down in the dumps I tell him to man up and come get some of this good coochie. It works everytime. So I suggest you not think about your PB and go get some
    And what's he going to do for the other 23 hours and 58 minutes of the day?
    01-10-12 01:13 PM
    $647 unless it's sent back.
    Right, but they say and they stress it, that it is my responsibility until they get it. And if something was to happen, I no longer have a sale price. I figured patience was in order.
    01-10-12 02:09 PM
    Right, but they say and they stress it, that it is my responsibility until they get it. And if something was to happen, I no longer have a sale price. I figured patience was in order.
    Actually, if you send it through a registered courier you are safe. This is called advanced RMA, and I've done it may times in the past without issues, not with RIM per-say but with many other manufacturers.
    01-10-12 02:13 PM
    Probably the best choice--although a hard one. I ended up returning mine to Amazon -- but ended up waiting only a few days to get the new one I ordered from RIM. I bet you won't have to wait long--mine was in my hands a few days after I ordered it.

Maybe they'll just swap yours out with a new one and it will be just as quick.
    01-10-12 02:14 PM
    It sucks that yours was overheating, but isn't there something about most of "newer" playbooks having a bulge under the BB logo on the back? I know mine has had one since I opened it. It won't lay flat, but I've not noticed any other problems.
    01-10-12 02:37 PM

You are not that far away, so drop down. In exchange for using my pb, you can clean the basement!!!! Bring some of that local wine, if you would.
    01-10-12 02:41 PM

I had to do the RMA on my first playbook cause it wouldn't charge. When we all finally decided there was no way it was gonna work, I did the advance RMA, had my new Playbook the next day. I waited 8 days to send it back to be sure my new one was working well. Called Fedex in the morning, came in the afternoon, my old Playbook was in TN the next day.

The reason for the $449 hold (mine was a 16gb) as that is the stated value should fedex lose the playbook, so they have to "bill" you that much. They don't actually bill your CC, its a hold on that amount so you can't spend it should you not send back the old playbook. This way if you have a CC billing cycle while your playbook is in transit, you aren't billed any interest on the amount, as the CC company hasn't actually sent RIM any money.
    01-10-12 02:52 PM
    Do any local stores have one in stock? What's the return policy?
    01-10-12 02:59 PM
    I just received my new 64GB yesterday and it had a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen! I spent over an hour on the phone with them and they are sending me a FedEx box so I can send it back for potential repair. Thankfully, I have a 32GB to hold me over!
    01-10-12 03:04 PM
    I have the same bulge issue. RIM started the repair today. I'm hoping to get my playbook back by early next week.
    01-10-12 03:12 PM
    Holy crap. RIM started the repair on my playbook yesterday and this morning the repaired playbook arrived (Tennessee to Mississauga, Ontario). Unreal turnaround time.

They replaced the back casing and now it's perfectly flat. Also the power button is noticeably higher than before.

Now if only my flat back case can stay flat.

Good job RIM!
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-11-12 10:30 AM
    ^ how long was the total turn-around time from when you shipped it to RIM and got it back?
    I'm sure CanadianThomas would be interested to know.
    01-11-12 10:45 AM
    Jan 5th - Empty box leaves RIM
    Jan 6th AM - Empty box arrives in Ontario, Canada
    Jan 6th PM - Package shipped back to RIM
    Jan 7th - package arrives at FedEx depot in Tennessee but held until Monday
    Jan 9th AM - Package delivered to RIM and received in their system
    Jan 10th AM - Playbook repair commences
    Jan 10th PM - Playbook repair complete and item shipped back to me
    Jan 11th AM - Playbook received by me
    01-11-12 12:17 PM
    Actually, if you send it through a registered courier you are safe. This is called advanced RMA, and I've done it may times in the past without issues, not with RIM per-say but with many other manufacturers.
    Yes, i know. I'm tech support for a living and do this with Dell, HP, Apple and more all the time as well. BUT, never has a company charged my card and held the payment and over charged me so much. The charge of 6xx.xx went through. I got the email notification while on the phone with them and said STOP. No way. I paid 199.99 and was not putting 6xx.xx on the line for the same unit.

Just pissed me off as with others like Dell and so on I've been doing this so long they never charge or even ask me for a card anymore, the parts just come.With RIM they wanted the card, OK, but they used it and for 3X the amount I paid.

Just checking the tracking now.

EDIT:

It got to RIM this morning, I'll check the RIM site now.

RIM say they have it, hopefully done today. Hopefully.
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 01-11-12 at 12:39 PM.
    01-11-12 12:34 PM
    Feel for you. Hope it comes back soon. One gets really attached to these babies.
    01-11-12 12:47 PM
188 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD