Have you contacted your ISP about the issue? If you work through the process of elimination, it might be something on their end...either tracking usage from another account onto yours or something up with their system in general. I'd agree that you should consider changing the broadcast name of the router as well as the password. What kind of security encription does your router have? WEP or WPA? Reason I ask, is WEP is really easy to crack (minutes to get a password) and you don't have to be a "cracking genius" to do it. So, if you change the password on your router, if someone has gotten into your system before, it may not take very long to get into your wireless router again. If you are running with WEP, see if your router has WPA/WPA2 encription (much harder to get through) or upgrade the router to something newer.

You said you have your PC and the Playbook connected to the router. Is there anything else in the house which might be connected and be transferring data? If not and you continue to have a problem, then try and see if you can run some kind of network logging program which will track transfers over a day or two. Might be good to get time of day usage (to see if the transfers occur when you aren't home/are sleeping) and maybe to see if there's another device which connects during that time.

Honestly, with large transfers of that size, it's either your computer has something running which is transferring data or someone else is connecting to your router.
    baarn likes this.
    01-28-15 05:52 AM
    Yes, my router has WPA2 encryption and I had already changed the router name and password.
    I do agree and I thought a while back that it may be on the providers end. There are only a couple more things I can do. I haven't totally disconnected the router yet for the full day. I'll have to do that.
    anon(5597702) and tovento like this.
    01-28-15 02:09 PM
    One more thought: do you have any android / iOS devices connected to this network? Do they have any apps on them that are data mining and phoning home so to speak?

What sort of cell phone are you using?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 08:05 AM
    No, no android or anything like that. Just my playbook tablet is on wifi here. Currently just using a dumb phone which does not have that capacity.
    For all who have helped me I'll keep you updated. I am waiting first for the last 2 days of Bandwidth usage / upload to show up on the providers page - they seem to be behind a few days.
    02-01-15 02:20 PM
    Just an update guys:
    Ok, this has been a very strange experience. I dont truly know wtf was causing my unknown large uploads but as of now, for the last few days, I have had no crazy high uploads. What has changed since then? Well, I changed my wifi password etc (I was/am using Wpa2) however I still got up loads. I disconnected my desktop from the internet - still getting uploads. I disconnected my Playbook and was still getting uploads. Then i disconnected / reset my Modem as well as putting the filter for only my Desktop and PB mac address on my router. Somewhere after performing these, the crazy uploads stopped. I really dont think it was anyone stealing my wifi because i went through all the precautions of ensuring no one was able to steal - but i do feel something was wrong with the modem sending or my providers logging of the upload usage. The reason I say this is that 2 days after I reset my modem I got 2 days back to back EXACT SAME UPLOAD AND DOWNLOAD!!! EXACTLY THE SAME. i.e Feb 2 = 1.54G down .2 G up. Tues Feb 3 = 1.54G down & 0.2 G up. That is 2 strange of a coincidence. Anyway, what I will do one of these days just because the curiousity is take the filter off my router and see what happens.
    02-06-15 02:39 PM
    Try using Norton Posts Eraser, it's not invasive like Norton 365 but it will scrub your registry. It is free and only runs when you ask it to

Z10
    02-06-15 02:45 PM
    Just an update guys:
    Ok, this has been a very strange experience. I dont truly know wtf was causing my unknown large uploads but as of now, for the last few days, I have had no crazy high uploads. What has changed since then? Well, I changed my wifi password etc (I was/am using Wpa2) however I still got up loads. I disconnected my desktop from the internet - still getting uploads. I disconnected my Playbook and was still getting uploads. Then i disconnected / reset my Modem as well as putting the filter for only my Desktop and PB mac address on my router. Somewhere after performing these, the crazy uploads stopped. I really dont think it was anyone stealing my wifi because i went through all the precautions of ensuring no one was able to steal - but i do feel something was wrong with the modem sending or my providers logging of the upload usage. The reason I say this is that 2 days after I reset my modem I got 2 days back to back EXACT SAME UPLOAD AND DOWNLOAD!!! EXACTLY THE SAME. i.e Feb 2 = 1.54G down .2 G up. Tues Feb 3 = 1.54G down & 0.2 G up. That is 2 strange of a coincidence. Anyway, what I will do one of these days just because the curiousity is take the filter off my router and see what happens.
    Are you changing the password to log into your router/modem or leaving it at the default?
    02-07-15 09:47 AM
32 12