It looks like RIM and Shape are going to sort the pricing confusion out soon. I was wondering if anyone has already installed the app. I would appreciate if you could share your experience. My main question is:

Does IM+ run in the background (you can close it but it still is online, no need to refresh) and notify you of incoming messages?

To those who are saying it's unfortunate IM+ does not support video calls, it never has on any other platform.

I will definitely buy it though for $9.99 if it runs in the background and does everything it does in Android.

P.S. It's really surreal to observe how a PIM app release could stir so much hysteria. Can't imagine this happening on other OSs where there are at least tens of alternatives for pretty much any app. I hope RIM will bring more apps in so that release of a new app that should be standard is viewed as something normal.

Edit: I wish the App World also allowed for a trial period.
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-02-11 at 08:24 PM.
    10-31-11 12:15 PM
    This couldn't have been in the already existing IM+ threads?
    10-31-11 03:05 PM
    This couldn't have been in the already existing IM+ threads?
    It probably could have, but none of them are labelled "review" I am glad he made this thread and I am waiting for reviews. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    howarmat and hackerguy like this.
    10-31-11 03:46 PM
    I paid $20 for this and it sucks. The skype portion doesn't work, it doesn't seem to always load. After all this fanfare but RIM not being great to their developers, this is the app they come up with. I am disappointed.
    10-31-11 04:40 PM
    The reviews on app world aren't real good right now.

The ones who do review please state what OS you are on 1 or 2 and since someone all ready said the video doesn't work on other platforms let us know how the IM part works and which yahoo, aim etc.

Thanks
    10-31-11 04:58 PM
    OK, here is my review of IM+ on the Playbook. It will be based on the comparison of the Android version of IM+ Pro (also $9.99) that I have been using for quite some time and wouldn't hesitate recommending to anyone. So I am not going to trash IM+ as some reviewers in the App World just because it doesn't have video or voice calling. There is no video/voice calling in IM+ on any other platform.

So what are the major cons of the Playbook version compared to the Android version?

1) Glitchy. Here is a tip for those who were unable to make either of the services (Skype, Yahoo, GTalk, etc) work. You may want to delete the account that wouldn't connect and add it again. It may take a few trials to get it to work. In my case, I added my Skype account, but my Skype contacts wouldn't load although the status would show that Skype was connected. It looks like the PLaybook vesrion hasn't been updated since may whereas the Android version has received many updates in the meantime.

Also, after relaunching, IM+ wouldn't completely go online (i.e. no online contacts are displayed though you know that some of your friends are currently online). The Accounts will still show that all services are online.

It also gets stuck at "Processing..." a lot.

2) Lack of functionality. There is no way to manage contacts. You can't regroup them, you can't block them, you can't remove them. You can't even hide offline contacts. All these can be done in the Android version.

Shape, where is the Chats tab by the way?

3) No notifications and it does not run in the background. This is a huge flaw. IM+ will only run (e.g. receive messages) if it is currently open. As soon as you close the window, it goes offline. Again, there is no integration with the OS to give you any sort of notifications when IM+ is not open.

I really don't know if it's a problem with QNX for which an application has to be open to be active but the fact that IM+ does not run in the background renders it useless. What's the point of paying $10 when you can use an online service such as imo.im, meebo.com, trillian.im, etc?

IMO, no notifications and background operation means no reason for the PIM application.

Will I recommend IM+ to Playbook users? Not until it reaches the level of the Android version. I hope they will roll out updates that will fix the above issues (I hope Shape will read this and other reviews). But at its current state, it's useless. At least for me. Will wait for the native PIM or for Shape to fix the problems.

NB: I am using the beta OS 2.0 and really don't know if IM+ behaves any differently in 1.0X.
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-02-11 at 08:34 PM.
    easydoesit99 and sharpehenry like this.
    11-02-11 08:23 PM
    OK, here is my review of IM+ on the Playbook. It will be based on the comparison of the Android version of IM+ Pro (also $9.99) that I have been using for quite some time and wouldn't hesitate recommending to anyone. So I am not going to trash IM+ as some reviewers in the App World just because it doesn't have video or voice calling. There is no video/voice calling in IM+ on any other platform.

So what are the major cons of the Playbook version compared to the Android version?

1) Glitchy. Here is a tip for those who were unable to make either of the services (Skype, Yahoo, GTalk, etc) work. You may want to delete the account that wouldn't connect and add it again. It may take a few trials to get it to work. In my case, I add my Skype account, but my Skype contacts wouldn't load although the status would show that Skype was connected. It looks like the PLaybook vesrion hasn't been updated since may whereas the Android version has received many updates in the meantime.

Also, after relaunching, IM+ wouldn't completely go online (i.e. no online contacts are displayed though you know that some of your friends are currently online). The Accounts will still show that all services are online.

2) Lack of functionality. There is no way to manage contacts. You can't regroup them, you can't block them, you can't remove them. You can't even hide offline contacts. All these can be done in the Android version.

3) No notifications and it does not run in the background. This is a huge flaw. IM+ will only run (e.g. receive messages) if it is currently open. As soon as you close the window, it goes offline. Again, there is no integration with the OS to give you any sort of notifications when IM+ is not open.

I really don't know if it's a problem with QNX for which an application has to be open to be active but the fact that IM+ does not run in the background renders it useless. What's the point of paying $10 when you can use an online service such as imo.im, meebo.com, trillian.im, etc?

IMO, no notifications and background operation means no reason for the PIM application.

Will I recommend IM+ to Playbook users? Not until it reaches the level of the Android version. I hope they will roll out updates that will fix the above issues (I hope Shape will read this and other reviews). But at its current state, it's useless. At least for me. Will wait for the native PIM or for Shape to fix the problems.

NB: I am using the beta OS 2.0 and really don't know if IM+ behaves any differently in 1.0X.
    Thanks for the review and comparison. All though if it would just work still being open and in the background without timing out or needing to reload when going back to it I'd be happy. I could care less about notification if it's closed. When I close it I don't want to use it anymore.
    11-02-11 08:29 PM
    Thanks for the review and comparison. All though if it would just work still being open and in the background without timing out or needing to reload when going back to it I'd be happy. I could care less about notification if it's closed. When I close it I don't want to use it anymore.
    you are welcome.

that's my whole point. you can simply use an online IM service if you don't mind to have the IM window open. in that case, you will still have the ability to organize your contacts and won't have to struggle with the glitchiness. moreover, you'll save $10
    11-02-11 08:31 PM
    you are welcome.

that's my whole point. you can simply use an online IM service if you don't mind to have the IM window open. in that case, you will still have the ability to organize your contacts and won't have to struggle with the glitchiness. moreover, you'll save $10
    I've used all of them. They all time out or need to reload when I go back to the tab they are in.
    ferganer likes this.
    11-02-11 08:38 PM
    I've used all of them. They all time out or need to reload when I go back to the tab they are in.
    I appreciate the review too... just tune out the ones griping about it. They r irrelevant anyway.

Yahoo is my need... Since rim doesnt have one for the playbook yet (surprise)... and the web based version (webmessenger.yahoo.com or whatever) is being discontinued nov 11 or thereabouts. If IM+ will allow me to use yahoo IM, i will reluctantly pay for it.

...i wished the playbook had the free apps all the other tablets include as basic features (!?!)

11-02-11 08:55 PM
    I appreciate the review too... just tune out the ones griping about it. They r irrelevant anyway.

Yahoo is my need... Since rim doesnt have one for the playbook yet (surprise)... and the web based version (webmessenger.yahoo.com or whatever) is being discontinued nov 11 or thereabouts. If IM+ will allow me to use yahoo IM, i will reluctantly pay for it.

...i wished the playbook had the free apps all the other tablets include as basic features (!?!)

It seems at this point using imo.im or even im+ web interface will do the same the app does since the app also times out.
    11-02-11 09:00 PM
    I paid $20 for this and it sucks. The skype portion doesn't work, it doesn't seem to always load. After all this fanfare but RIM not being great to their developers, this is the app they come up with. I am disappointed.
    It seems pretty obvious now that app developers, even the major ones, don't give a damn about the PlayBook. Most ignore it and those that release something come up with teh most basic versions of their programs and even then some basic functions are broken. Like EverNote releasing an app for the PlayBook that couldn't save notes. Plus there's all the apps coming in at 2X or 3X the price of the same app on iOs or Android. It looks like we are reliving the exact same scenario as on BlackBerry phones.
    11-02-11 09:15 PM

1) Glitchy. Here is a tip for those who were unable to make either of the services (Skype, Yahoo, GTalk, etc) work. You may want to delete the account that wouldn't connect and add it again. It may take a few trials to get it to work. In my case, I added my Skype account, but my Skype contacts wouldn't load although the status would show that Skype was connected. It looks like the PLaybook vesrion hasn't been updated since may whereas the Android version has received many updates in the meantime.

Apps not being able to run in the background is a limitation of the QNX/PlayBook OS that RIM engineers have confirmed several times.

Right now it is impossible for any developer to create an application for PlayBook that will run in the background and from what I've heard it doesn't seem like this will change anytime soon.
    ferganer likes this.
    11-02-11 09:16 PM
    Seems that after such a long time of waiting, the only real messaging app that was made available for the Playbook is not only comparatively expensive, it is also flawed at this point.

Again, you may take this as a troll post, but it's really not. But my suggestion is to simply sell your Playbooks and move on to better, more dependable alternatives out there. iPad2 and Galaxy Tabs offer so much more. On my Galaxy tab, I have Google Talk, AIM, Skype, and Messenger With You (Windows Live Messenger) running- and they all came for free.

Just my two cents.
    11-02-11 09:20 PM
    Apps not being able to run in the background is a limitation of the QNX/PlayBook OS that RIM engineers have confirmed several times.

Right now it is impossible for any developer to create an application for PlayBook that will run in the background and from what I've heard it doesn't seem like this will change anytime soon.
    Thanks. Do you think that the native PIM (when and if released) will run in the background?
    11-02-11 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD