I use to have one for my 9700 made by Arkon until the car wash broke it. I see they now make one for the PlayBook but are out of stock until July.

Tablet Car Mount | Front Seat Car Mount for 7" Tablets

Does anyone know of any other company that makes a similar product?
    05-11-11 11:42 AM
    05-11-11 11:46 AM
    Have a look at Ram Mounts, I know they make one for the PB, it's very similar to the Ipad Mount. I was about to order one, and discovered my PB will fit in my Ipad mount when you have your PB in an Otterbox case
    05-11-11 12:47 PM
    I use to have one for my 9700 made by Arkon until the car wash broke it. I see they now make one for the PlayBook but are out of stock until July.

Tablet Car Mount | Front Seat Car Mount for 7" Tablets

Does anyone know of any other company that makes a similar product?
    Mobile City apparently has it in stock and it's on sale for $20:

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...roductid=27896
    05-11-11 04:15 PM
    Does anyone actually have one of the Akron mounts and are you currently using it with the Playbook? I really like the concept, especially the ease of installation. But I am concerned about that flexible boom and the weight of the Playbook on the end of it. If its not well-designed, I can see that sagging and resting the Playbook against the seat or console.
    05-13-11 07:58 AM
    I am very interested in this as well, anyone have any experience with this company or these type of mounts? I would be mounting in a Honda Element. Anyone with any other suggestions, I would welcome them. Thanks !!
    05-13-11 02:55 PM
    I went ahead and placed an order for this, I will report my results and thoughts here!!
    05-13-11 03:15 PM
    any updates or pics?
    06-06-11 12:31 AM
    RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

thats the manufacturer that i got mine from. thankfully theres a store that sells it locally. you can check the distributor list to see if there is one by you
    06-07-11 06:38 AM
    I purchased the RAM mount RAM-HOL-TAB5U and vehicle floor mount as described here. Although the website says the TAB5U fits the un-cased Playbook, it does not. It is about 1/4 inch too narrow. I called RAM and they quickly sent me parts to replace the binders that were sent with ones designed for the Nook, TAB2U, I believe. These are a bit large by about the same 1/4 inch, but do work well for me as the Playbook is held by spring tension in the mount and therefore does not move. I like the floor mount. It was relatively easy to install by simply removing and replacing the seat rail bolts on the left side of the passenger seat. The mount sits under the seat rail and is very stable. I do note that it limits forward travel of the passenger seat, but I did not find this to be a problem. In fact, I moved the seat to where the vertical bar from the floor rested against it for stability. I plan on removing the vertical portion of the mount when not in use which is a bit of a pain as that will require a 7/16 open end wrench and 3/16 Allen wrench. On my application, the passenger seat is not really usable with the mount in place. If anyone is really interested in this, I can try to post pictures.

Last edited by celler; 06-28-11 at 04:31 PM.
    togardergrosse and inocent3 like this.
    06-20-11 11:44 AM
    ^^^please post pictures. I was looking into RAM mount vs. padholdr.
    06-28-11 01:29 AM
    I bought the floor mount from Arkon and returned it.

1) The mounting plate was not designed for the PlayBook. The backplate was not wide enough and the clips covered the power button and if not careful would come off because you have to keep them at the outer edge. They did tell me they are working on a larger one that might be available by now.

2) I could not get it tight enough the stay steady. It kept moving on me.

To me it looked like they are trying to sell the floor mount for a cell phone as a tablet holder. It worked great with my 9700.
    06-28-11 04:12 AM
    If you want to take it to the next level a custom install looks insane. I would do this if I lived near Sound Man in California. Check out the nice work they did with the ipad2 first ever install. The guys are all insane.

inocent3 likes this.
    06-28-11 05:21 AM
    Ram mounts are used in a number of recreational activities, we use them in trucking for their durability and reliability, because very few others can cut the mustard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 08:51 AM
    I bought the floor mount from Arkon and returned it.
    I've been researching RAM mounts and they are used commercially by law enforcement, etc... I'm thinking maybe the Arkon one may not be built as well as Ram Mount?

If you want to take it to the next level a custom install looks insane. I would do this if I lived near Sound Man in California. Check out the nice work they did with the ipad2 first ever install. The guys are all insane.

I wouldnt mind doing something like that with the PB. I'm not sure if the PB has a dock that incorporates external outputs.

Ram mounts are used in a number of recreational activities, we use them in trucking for their durability and reliability, because very few others can cut the mustard.
    Do you happen to have one for your PB? if so post some pics up if you can please.
    06-28-11 01:31 PM
    ^^^please post pictures. I was looking into RAM mount vs. padholdr.
    I modified my original post above to add the pictures.
    TRlPPlN likes this.
    06-28-11 04:32 PM
    I've been researching RAM mounts and they are used commercially by law enforcement, etc... I'm thinking maybe the Arkon one may not be built as well as Ram Mount?
    There is a local RAM dealer by me. I'm going to check them out this weekend.
    06-28-11 06:10 PM
    I modified my original post above to add the pictures.
    saw the pics. it doesnt seem like it's too low at all compared to some floor mounts. thanks for posting the pic and im leaning towards on purchasing this one for my tacoma.
    06-28-11 09:53 PM
    saw the pics. it doesnt seem like it's too low at all compared to some floor mounts. thanks for posting the pic and im leaning towards on purchasing this one for my tacoma.
    If you look at the second picture, you can see that I have placed a sharp crook in the vertical rod to move the PB further to the front of the car and a bit lower. If you have the clearance, you can make it a bit higher by leaving the crook out.
    06-29-11 05:49 AM

I wouldnt mind doing something like that with the PB. I'm not sure if the PB has a dock that incorporates external outputs.

Do you happen to have one for your PB? if so post some pics up if you can please.
    Check out Proclip USA. I just ordered a mount for my dash. They make some pretty high quality mounts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 06:57 AM
    I don't know if I would trust the mounts that attach to the air conditioning vents in the car. That is not a part that is designed to bear weight and the PB is not exactly a light device. On the other hand, the floor mount option and even the windshield suction cup (RAM) seem to be very stable.
    07-01-11 11:35 AM
    Does anyone actually have one of the Akron mounts and are you currently using it with the Playbook? I really like the concept, especially the ease of installation. But I am concerned about that flexible boom and the weight of the Playbook on the end of it. If its not well-designed, I can see that sagging and resting the Playbook against the seat or console.
    yeah I have the Akron mount and I am not real happy with it. It's too narrow so it interferes with buttons on top and the flex boom doesn't hold secure enough for me as the device shakes a little.

Proclip told me they'd have one out by end of June but its been delayed a little.

PG
    07-01-11 12:27 PM
    so i decided to bite the bullet and purchased the dash version from RAM mount for my 09 tacoma. I originally wanted to get the one from padholdr but the the holder itself IMO was a bit too bulky for my taste. it was pretty easy to assemble. pics below...

was it worth 99.00 bucks? uummm most likely not but it was cheaper than padholdr.
    07-24-11 09:30 PM
    I use two Clingo Universal Vent Mounts for my playbook from futureshop for $24.99 Ca each.

Clingo Universal Vent Mount : Other Cellular Accessories - Future Shop

Clingo Universal Hands Free Mobile Mount : Other Cellular Accessories - Future Shop

Using the two vent mounts limits its mobility. I can change the angle up and down but can really change the left to right angle that much, but it is ok with me cause my vents are close on my dash to the steering wheel that i can see it fine. Now if you where to just use one mount it would have much more mobility but i don't know if id trust it to hold the weight of the playbook. I havent tried the playbook on two of the arm mounts i have.

The clingo mount use a sticky gel pad to hold the playbook to the mount. It leaves no marks on the playbook it self, or does no harm to it. I have an invisible shield on the back of my playbook and it doesnt even pull that off or mark it up.The neat thing with the Clingo gel pad is that if it gets dirtty or starts to lose stickiness you can take it wash it under warm water let it air dry, and its back like when you first got it. At first i thought it wouldnt work great but i originally purchased it for my torch but seeing how great it works i purchased three more (two Vent ones, and two Arm ones.) Definitely recommend them. As said earlier they leave no stickiness or anything on your phone or device. it is also not device specific m so you can use it for almost anything. which is handy if you change devices often.

The only disadvantage i have come across is that you need to take your time taking the device off the stickipad, you cant just rip it off you need to more of peel it off. Which takes a little more time than just popping it out of a mount.

My current setup is The torch is on arm clingo mount. Playbook on two Clingo vent mounts on the center dash. And my Sony MP3 Player on a Clingo arm mount.

I will post some pictures of me setup and of them tommorrow.
    Last edited by dave_2611; 07-25-11 at 12:11 AM.
    07-24-11 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD