Lesson RIM needs to learn. It's the apps... Stupid.
    I just want to the Apple Store with a fried and Out of the box the Playbook is every bit a match for either iPad.

PlayBook's ONLY flaw is the bat crazy belief by RIM, and you Crackberry addicts that developers should flock to you, instead of vice versa.

Do you realize that the PB has ALWAYS had a "retina" display, given it's form factor?

Spec for spec the PB is a match for the iPad2, and a competitor for the iPad HD as I've come to call it, do to almost identical DPI.

The problem, as the OP pointed out, is solely and only when you launch the respective APP stores.

It's easy to fix. Hire a few programmers and develop apps FOR the services that EVERYONE on earth tells you are essential for a tablet to succeed. You are not even Number 2. No one is going to flock to you like APPLE.

I've learned a lot from my 2 months with my PlayBook. 7" form factor rules.
    As soon as A 7" ICS device based on the Tergra 3 chipset is available, my PB is going on the auction block. Cause that's what it's going to take to replace what DOES work about my PB. What doesn't work could fixed IF there was APP for that.

There isn't, and there WON'T BE until RIM starts acting like A sane vendor.

I just hate to see a device with much potential crippled by ******** management.
    If you're going to be that draconianly closed minded when comes to putting in the work to make you're product a success, at least unlock the boot loader so the Community can fix your mistakes.
    shung likes this.
    04-03-12 08:59 AM
    The New iPad is a very nice device with an incredible screen resolution, I am sure that you will enjoy it, although I am sure that you will miss some things, overall you will be pleased.
    Maybe I missed something when I went to the Apple store, but the screen wasn't nearly as amazing as I was expecting. Maybe it's because I own and iPhone 4S (use a Bold 9930 though), own an iPad 2, and the screen is a little over hyped, but I was VERY underwhelmed. I would have been PISSED if I bought the new iPad and sold my iPad 2 for about a $200 loss. If I were deciding between a new iPad for $500 and an iPad 2 for $400, I'd choose the new iPad though, but if I could get a used iPad 2 for $300 or less I would take that in a second over the new iPad.
    04-03-12 10:16 AM
    Lesson RIM needs to learn. It's the apps... Stupid.
    I just want to the Apple Store with a fried and Out of the box the Playbook is every bit a match for either iPad.

PlayBook's ONLY flaw is the bat crazy belief by RIM, and you Crackberry addicts that developers should flock to you, instead of vice versa.

Do you realize that the PB has ALWAYS had a "retina" display, given it's form factor?

Spec for spec the PB is a match for the iPad2, and a competitor for the iPad HD as I've come to call it, do to almost identical DPI.

The problem, as the OP pointed out, is solely and only when you launch the respective APP stores.

It's easy to fix. Hire a few programmers and develop apps FOR the services that EVERYONE on earth tells you are essential for a tablet to succeed. You are not even Number 2. No one is going to flock to you like APPLE.

I've learned a lot from my 2 months with my PlayBook. 7" form factor rules.
    As soon as A 7" ICS device based on the Tergra 3 chipset is available, my PB is going on the auction block. Cause that's what it's going to take to replace what DOES work about my PB. What doesn't work could fixed IF there was APP for that.

There isn't, and there WON'T BE until RIM starts acting like A sane vendor.

I just hate to see a device with much potential crippled by ******** management.
    If you're going to be that draconianly closed minded when comes to putting in the work to make you're product a success, at least unlock the boot loader so the Community can fix your mistakes.
    Wow, my long lost twin brother? I agree whole-heartedly. The fanboys on here can't seem to comprehend that most people don't give a flock about bridge, bezel gestures, or flash supported browsing. Content is king, look at the Fire. And how do you get content on a tablet, APPS! Browsing to a website is NOT a good replacement for an app. Tablets are touch interfaces, which is enhanced through app use, not browser use.

I don't care if there are a million PB fart apps. One mans trash is another man's entertainment. And with a million fart apps, there might be a few gems that everyone loves. Can anyone one here honestly say that we have enough apps? We all know the PB can be better. But if you don't blitch or whine, RIM won't change a thing.
    Ratteler likes this.
    04-03-12 10:35 AM
    I just spent 3 days using/playing with the new iPad and this is what I now know. PB OS is much more "rewarding" for me in several ways. I can always go 'back' a page or know I've closed an app, the available swipes are intuitive, giving me more flexibility in my interaction. I love the PB form factor! And hate the iPad home button!
    However, on the iPad I also learned the joy of launching a Netflix movie, a more noticeably robust battery life, and some very useful apps like Paperdesk, etc.
    I will continue being in 'like' with my PB as a comfortable friend, but RIM-get with the user program for apps and battery life.
    04-03-12 10:41 AM
    im a blackberry phone 9810 and playbook owner, and i can say without bias that ipad is a way better product, the ipad does not crash half or quarter as much as the playbook does, and any playbook owner that disputes that is living in a dream land, the ipad has way better apps selection. Open playbook appstore right now and point out a featured app that makes sense. Most people once they start gloating over the playbook jump up about the ease of use, the besel swipes are nice yes, but its not a big deal, i dont see how bad the navigation of the android or ipad is that you cant get what u need done. The only reason blackberry is so big in my country right now is because of bbm and also because its the only phone our network providers sell that offers a data package but in a couple of months thats gonna change, and im sure alot of people are going to jump ship. I got this playbook as a gift and im grateful for it but it really does not live up to the need tools not toys slogan. Rim really failed in every regard with this product from apps to os where reading an email on this device is so slow, youtube crashes every so often. I notice that some playbook users will post and say oh my playbook has never crashed and it runs perfect, i really really find that hard to believe. Oh and also the battery life on the playbook is soo sad it can barely last through the day with moderate use, my coworker's ipad 2 barely uses any battery life and he runs photoshop touch and play games. im always shocked by it.
    Last edited by yanicmb; 04-03-12 at 11:03 AM.
    04-03-12 11:00 AM
    170 vs 264 is no where near almost identical DPI.
    04-03-12 12:33 PM
    Yet another useless (and subjective) why I like one thing over another thread. Congratulations (I guess) on making some decision but what does this have to do with a Playbook forum? Does this help anyone here use a Playbook?
    Useless? I call this a constructive critisism! I enjoy using my Playbook and I am not going to give up on it, but clearly poor document editing capabilities, lack of proper file management system and far from perfect stability when running multiple appliations are huge downsides of Playbook, which is marketed as a productivity tool rather than entertainment machine.

I think us - BB users, should be grateful to people who spend time to constructively point out to weaknesses of BB products, and RIM should listen too. The OP clearly indicated it was not his intention to upset anybody, so people - take a break, because YES... it does help to improve and use the Playbook.
    Last edited by domolsz; 04-03-12 at 02:09 PM.
    04-03-12 02:06 PM
    Funny seeing people compare a computer companies software to a Phone makers software. To many people forget apple has been making these OS's for a couple of decades, they will have the leg up. They learned from the 90's, that if they don't create their own eco system the developers won't program for them. RIM has it's flaws, don't get me wrong but they are working to change them. Unfortunately, not fast enough for the picky North American crowd. If all this fan driven hype about the bb10's turns out to be exactly what they hype is and the new playbook brings a hardware upgrade as well as more apps that people want then we will see a shift in the market place.

Now to get back to my playbook as I think another app might crash.... oh wait I don't live in that dream world. Only apps crashing for me are those andriod apps that were ported and a game call "Great little war"
    dendroica likes this.
    04-03-12 02:53 PM
    Funny seeing people compare a computer companies software to a Phone makers software. To many people forget apple has been making these OS's for a couple of decades, they will have the leg up. They learned from the 90's, that if they don't create their own eco system the developers won't program for them. RIM has it's flaws, don't get me wrong but they are working to change them. Unfortunately, not fast enough for the picky North American crowd. If all this fan driven hype about the bb10's turns out to be exactly what they hype is and the new playbook brings a hardware upgrade as well as more apps that people want then we will see a shift in the market place.

Now to get back to my playbook as I think another app might crash.... oh wait I don't live in that dream world. Only apps crashing for me are those andriod apps that were ported and a game call "Great little war"
    So are you saying to me that your native browser app does not crash at all , wow your very fortunate. and your calendar and email clients work perfectly i take it? speedy and snappy. I guess you lucked out with your playbook.
    04-03-12 03:03 PM
    Really? Another one of these threads? Soon CrackBerry will be like Google and no one will be able to find what they're looking for when they use "search".
    alnamvet68 and DAnklaud like this.
    04-03-12 03:16 PM
    So are you saying to me that your native browser app does not crash at all , wow your very fortunate. and your calendar and email clients work perfectly i take it? speedy and snappy. I guess you lucked out with your playbook.
    People don't lie on forums dude. C'mon.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 03:17 PM
    Really? Another one of these threads? Soon CrackBerry will be like Google and no one will be able to find what they're looking for when they use "search".
    Soon, how about now and it has been this way since at least since last fall in the PB forums and it did not start out this way last spring either. There is very little helpful advice here these days and much more of the "this sux, I'm leaving" and "mine is perfect, it must be you" type posts. Search function becomes less useful for PB forums every day. Luckily most of the other forums have not degenerated to the same level as the PB forums with so many new PB owners that just want to post in every thread with absolutely nothing of substance to add. Maybe if there was some way to more rigidly restrict all of these new threads and make more people post in a PB general discussion thread, but probably not gonna happen.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-03-12 03:30 PM
    dunno why you completely skipped over the smaller tabs.. Samsung 7+, and 8.9 (1280*800) are all way more like the PB than the hunk of an iPad.. and cheaper.

After mucking with my Samsung Galaxy Note (the truly pocket tab) my iPad is no longer viewed as a portable device and quite frankly, ios seems like an old stale os when you can get scalable widgets in android.
    04-03-12 03:49 PM

nope it doesn't and by snappy, what exactly do you mean? Is it faster then my 9800, yep. Is faster then my desktop, nope. i find the playbook is the right speed for a tablet without cooking my hands or balls. Thats right, more speed means more power and in the end more heat.

I have had a crash or two but i also have had it happen on my PC and Mac, does that mean they are crap or flawed as well? Why is it so hard for people to believe someone isn't having issues with their playbooks? Why not focus on the positives and the joys of the pb and stop the negativity that continues to follow this product so many say is a good product.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 05:39 PM
    Useless? I call this a constructive critisism! I enjoy using my Playbook and I am not going to give up on it, but clearly poor document editing capabilities, lack of proper file management system and far from perfect stability when running multiple appliations are huge downsides of Playbook, which is marketed as a productivity tool rather than entertainment machine.

I think us - BB users, should be grateful to people who spend time to constructively point out to weaknesses of BB products, and RIM should listen too. The OP clearly indicated it was not his intention to upset anybody, so people - take a break, because YES... it does help to improve and use the Playbook.
    It would help improve the PlayBook if he would direct his complaints to RIM and give his blackberry id or PlayBook PIN as verification that he is a PlayBook user. Posting here is next to useless. He isn't looking for help or options he is merely informing us of his imminent change of tablets. Is he interested in the reasons why I am staying with the PlayBook? Nah, didn't think so. Constructive criticism isn't the problem or unwelcome. There is plenty of it here. The thing that elicits the negative reactions is the apparent need of some to use this forum to tell the world that they are taking their business elsewhere. Anyone can post anything here. Smart businesses listen primarily to criticism from verifiable customers not posters on a public forum. Smart consumers know that if they want to impact a product they direct their issues directly to the vendor.
    04-03-12 05:40 PM
    Soon, how about now and it has been this way since at least since last fall in the PB forums and it did not start out this way last spring either. There is very little helpful advice here these days and much more of the "this sux, I'm leaving" and "mine is perfect, it must be you" type posts. Search function becomes less useful for PB forums every day. Luckily most of the other forums have not degenerated to the same level as the PB forums with so many new PB owners that just want to post in every thread with absolutely nothing of substance to add. Maybe if there was some way to more rigidly restrict all of these new threads and make more people post in a PB general discussion thread, but probably not gonna happen.
    It has been mentioned before but, the pb forum is much like the og storm forum.

They really need a rants and raves sub-forum like they added for the storm.
    mikeplus1, DAnklaud and Mystic205 like this.
    04-03-12 05:48 PM
    Won't happen so long as there isn't a forum policy that is addressing what a blind and deaf man can see and hear, sock puppets; they're so obvious, and I'm presuming that membership numbers is what counts and not the integrity and sincerity of the members. In only extreme cases does anyone get banned, unless you happen to be Jack and p1ss one person off.

Yes, but I will say no; again, it goes to the issue of sock puppets. It's so easy to check the IP addresses of all these sock puppets, and when banned, it should also be an IP ban as well. There's a reason no one wants to do that, and it really has nothing to do with what's good for the members.
    john_v and christenmartin like this.
    04-03-12 05:56 PM

Yeah, I was around in those days and while I personally did not own a Storm, some friends of mine did and a couple still do. I actually quit CB once very briefly back then because I thought it was headed in the wrong direction and it was. I rejoined sometime after I got my Tour 9630 and it started out like the Storm threads with all the trackball and battery door complaints, etc., but finally settled down, then most of us CB Tour users went to the Bold 9650 and things were pretty good in those threads, then came the PlayBook. A rants and raves sub-forum is not a bad idea the PB, but somehow I doubt that it will do much good. Maybe I should stick to the device, OS and app forums, staying out of the general romper room forums all together. Now, what was this thread about again??
    04-03-12 06:39 PM
    I have had a crash or two but i also have had it happen on my PC and Mac, does that mean they are crap or flawed as well? Why is it so hard for people to believe someone isn't having issues with their playbooks? Why not focus on the positives and the joys of the pb and stop the negativity that continues to follow this product so many say is a good product.
    The browser crashes hasn't bothered me all that much, however there's definitely something wrong with it and can't be compared with PC or Mac in current state. Just read through the thread on this forum. According to reports, RIM is using these reports and fixing these at the moment.
    finkle56 likes this.
    04-03-12 06:56 PM
    I agree. I just tried to do the same thing. I posted what I thought was an honest, fair, and open post on why I was moving on to another tablet and in less than an hour it was locked ??? No explanation, just locked. I guess some mod was having a bad day?
    Not speaking for the Mods but perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you could have posted your "honest, fair and open post" here instead of starting a new thread. Oh, and good luck by the way.
    04-03-12 08:01 PM
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way

Won't happen so long as there isn't a forum policy that is addressing what a blind and deaf man can see and hear, sock puppets; they're so obvious, and I'm presuming that membership numbers is what counts and not the integrity and sincerity of the members. In only extreme cases does anyone get banned, unless you happen to be Jack and p1ss one person off.

Yes, but I will say no; again, it goes to the issue of sock puppets. It's so easy to check the IP addresses of all these sock puppets, and when banned, it should also be an IP ban as well. There's a reason no one wants to do that, and it really has nothing to do with what's good for the members.
    alnamvet68 and christenmartin like this.
    04-04-12 08:09 AM
    This week I saw a beta version of Windows 8 running on Acer tablet, with snap in keyboard, boy this thing rocks. It will give RIM, Apple and Android tablets run for their money for sure
    04-04-12 10:34 AM
    I finally gave up on my Playbook.

Tablet use, the followings are equally important:
    1. Use it instead of bringing hard copies of my lecture notes to class
    2. PDF annotation - grade papers, read academic journals (all are in PDFs) and note taking
    3. Basic editing - MS Office files
    4. Access to cloud based storage services such as Dropbox and Sugarsync
    5. Access to my e-textbooks via Smart Course
    I don't see anything wrong with what the OP posted particularly in light of the points mentioned above.

The Playbook has an unuseable and poor pdf implementation that makes reading and navigating large files/documents frustrating at best. For example, trying to read the DSM-IV-TR, a 500+ plus book, is next to impossible. This is not the type of book that you read page to page; you need to flip through specific sections to find specific psychiatric diagnosis. Does the pdf viewer have a find command? Of course not. Can you bookmark anything? Of course not.

Trying to use pdf copies of textbooks in which there is substantial colour, graphs, and figures, the viewer grinds to a screaching halt. In short, for alot of the academic material that I need for my work, the Playbook is simply not able to get the job done.

CourseSmart, where most of me e-textbooks are, is also something that is a royal pain in the behind, to use. While the Playbook can access their mobile site - CourseSmart has indicated that they will not develop an app for the Playbook btw - it is by no means efficient or easy to use. An app would have been better.

For the e-textbooks alone, given that I teach and have a private practice, I have made the decision to get an Ipad3. Which, for those of you who know me, is quite shocking given that I detest Apple. My colleagues at work kept on asking if I was feeling alright or if I needed a stress day when I told them I would be getting one.

I will still use my Playbook for my personal tablet, but when it comes to accessing e-textbooks and reference material that I need for work and my own private practice, I find the Playbook simply too limiting and frustrating in that regard.
    OttawaGabe and anon3396357 like this.
    04-04-12 12:25 PM
    It would help improve the PlayBook if he would direct his complaints to RIM and give his blackberry id or PlayBook PIN as verification that he is a PlayBook user. Posting here is next to useless. He isn't looking for help or options he is merely informing us of his imminent change of tablets. Is he interested in the reasons why I am staying with the PlayBook? Nah, didn't think so. Constructive criticism isn't the problem or unwelcome. There is plenty of it here. The thing that elicits the negative reactions is the apparent need of some to use this forum to tell the world that they are taking their business elsewhere. Anyone can post anything here. Smart businesses listen primarily to criticism from verifiable customers not posters on a public forum. Smart consumers know that if they want to impact a product they direct their issues directly to the vendor.
    Recent atricle on the blog page: http://crackberry.com/here%E2%80%99s...rry-10-succeed

See?... this is how the constructive feedback from the forums can be filtered and brought to RIM's attention. So unless you got an invite from RIM to one-on-one customer satisfaction survey, I suggest we use OP's constructive feedback to add to that list.
    04-04-12 01:31 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD