I don't think people research, they just see it and want it.
    07-20-12 07:41 PM
    Hate to bring it up again but how does it compare to the Mac platform? Have you used any mac platforms before?
    07-25-12 07:13 PM
    I have the Nexus 7, and an iPad. They are different. I think the iPad is probably a little easier to use, but that's mostly because I've had it for ages and it's like second nature.

The Nexus is lovely to hold, just the right size and weight and has UNGODLY amounts of apps and things to use from Google Play. Syncing over Google email accounts, calendars and apps is childishly simple.

I have all my usual suspect apps over from the iPad too. The Nexus' screen is gorgeous, and the sound is great. Battery life is ridiculously long and the soft touch anti-slip back is genius.

I don't appear to have any of the defect's being reported around the traps. Touch wood.

So, do I like it? Yep. Have I used my iPad since it arrived? Nope. I like it that much.
    randall2580 and dan4877 like this.
    07-25-12 08:21 PM
    I'm running Jelly Bean on a rooted Kindle Fire along with my Playbook. I love the Playbook UI, but the android tablet has been a fun change, and very snappy - even on the mediocre kindle hardware.

I miss the multi-tasking and app switching on the Playbook, but I'll admit I've gotten very fond of widgets.
    07-25-12 09:10 PM
    Does the fact there are so many issues regarding tne Nexus 7 screen and poor build quality put you off at all?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-27-12 07:25 AM
    Does really not do landscape in the browser? I've only seen pics in portrait.
    07-27-12 08:11 AM
    I consume so much flash based content on my PB. I really have a hard time understanding why the industry says its moving away from it (and silverlight) yet I use it every single day! I couldn't imagine having only one tab and one that didn't support flash. If the CP version of Windows 8 in any indication, IE 10 Metro on this latest build does indeed support flash, so the surface and other RT devices may indeed support Flash. A smart move by MS IMHO if it ends up in the final build.
    07-27-12 09:49 AM
    Does really not do landscape in the browser? I've only seen pics in portrait.
    It does landscape. Rotation lock is on by default; you have to turn it off. This tablet feels better in portrait mode though, for me anyway.
    07-27-12 09:54 AM
    It does landscape. Rotation lock is on by default; you have to turn it off. This tablet feels better in portrait mode though, for me anyway.
    Yeah, I am tending to do most things in portrait (except for gaming) occasionally I will use landscape but only for a few specific things.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-27-12 10:10 AM
    Thanks no landscape for browsing would be a deal killer for me. I want the larger screen so type is larger. Portrait kinda defeats the purpose.
    07-27-12 11:04 AM
    I've heard people saying the screen has issues. Raising up or cracking?
    07-27-12 03:48 PM
    I received mine a week ago - no screen issues, in fact no issues at all though I have read about them. Google gives you the option to connect to your account prior to shipment (a nice feature RIM should note) and it's cool on arrival my tab has my Google Music already configured for the cloud - I can listen to my music while I set the tab up - NICE!

For those who would like a comparison:

As a baseball fan MLB at Bat 12 is worth picking up this tablet alone for. Check the score, see that there are runners on base might like to see the pitcher get out of that jam - touch the watch button - there is the game - tremendous! No work arounds, no side loading needed for the apps I enjoy. Skype works well. Don't use Netflix so can't speak to that. Not a gamer so I can't speak to that as well. LogMeIn App works well.

My two complaints - at this time there is no way to connect the tab to a big screen that I know of - because this is not a Samsung there is no AllShare, and the usb does not support MHL, and as others have said - I prefer the front facing speakers - even though the N7's speaker is plenty loud - front facing works better.

There is a work around for the lack of flash - though I don't care for work arounds in general so I would list this as a negative if I come upon a flash only site I could not use, so far that hasn't happened.
    07-27-12 05:50 PM
    There is a way to output to a big screen,I saw it over at xda developers - some sort of dongle....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-27-12 06:05 PM
    Does the fact there are so many issues regarding tne Nexus 7 screen and poor build quality put you off at all?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Not at all, considering Google will replace them (in advance via courier) no questions asked. For the sales figures (I'd be guessing but from all accounts there were a LOT sold) I'd say the amount of reported issues were actually pretty low for a first run product.
    07-27-12 07:04 PM
    When I saw the subject said "Galaxy.." I thought samsung also made Nexus 7 :-)

Google Nexus 7 was made by Asus. I was tempting to get the Asus transformer TF300 because my little boy broke the screen(glass) on one of my PL. Yeah, I have 2 playbooks. They are great. Anyway, after 30 minutes of comparision between the transformer and the nexus 7, sorry transformer. The nexus 7 was faster and feel so good in my hand. Jelly Bean is awsome! Tons of free apps. The native gmail is great too. I love the gesture swipe to bring back or close the apps in the back ground. It is much lighter than the Playbook. However, I feel the hardware and the screen on the PB is better.
    I have to agree with the OP about the lack of storage and camera.
    But hey, 250 bucks for this piece of toy worth every penny :-)
    07-27-12 08:28 PM
    I bought the Nexus 7 and on a price vs. performance/usability/ value this thing cannot be beat. I've tried Android at many stages and Jelly Bean on this thing is super smooth. Easily the nicest Android experience I've had so far. Very little bloatware. And my Nexus seems glitch free so far. In fact I think my Playbook bleeds light more than my Nexus.

But a comparison with my beloved Playbook is not really fair. The build on the Playbook seems better and more solid but the Playbook was originally designed as a $499 piece of kit so it should be better. The Nexus has a nicer screen with better resolution but that's to be expected on a brand new piece of kit compared to the "last year" tech in the Playbook.

I love the Playbooks swipes and gestures. Multitasking and such. But I love the software library on Android.

Both have no expandable memory which I really dislike. But the lack of a rear camera on the Nexus 7 is a pain.

The purchase of the Nexus 7 coupled with my 64GB Playbook and my Bold 9900 and OS7.1 hot spot feature is guaranteeing I won't be lining up for a $550 4G Playbook.

Overall I am not ready to give up on my Playbook but I can see me reaching for this Nexus more, at least until BB10.
    07-27-12 08:47 PM
    I sold my 16GB Nexus 7 today on eBay. I could not get past how cheaply built it felt. The charger was a cheap joke that stayed boiling hot and smelled as if it was about to burst into flames...and the USB to micro USB cord was short and cheap. The build quality of the tablet felt like a childs toy. Yes, it was light...but the by-product of being cheaply built. The rubber steering wheel cover like rear with its holes was grippy, but collected everything it came into contact with in its holes. The screen was far less bright than the Playbook or my 10.1" Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 (which at $500 is a steal...it's the best tablet currently made at the moment in my opinion). The Wi-Fi antenna was only so-so. Back to the screen, it produced no where near the picture quality of other 1280x800 screens. The Chrome browser sucks, lack of flash not even being the major reason...I just hate Chrome. I have Ice Cream Sandwich on my Asus TF700, so Jelly Bean was nothing new or special. The sound quality sucked so bad that I always had to use my Jawbone Jambox just to hear it. The quad core processor on my TF700 made that of the Nexus 7's nothing special...it actually made it feel slow. The Home Screen always in portrait mode drove me crazy. The lack of an HDMI port also drove me crazy...I even missed not having a rear camera for apps that require scanning. In sum, I suspect the Nexus 7 will not last owners more than a year or so. I will purchase another 7" Android Tablet when all the Nexus 7 competition begins to roll out. Until then, the Playbook will be my only 7" tablet. Considering all that the Playbook has going for it at its current price, to anyone considering between the Nexus 7 and a Playbook...go for the Playbook. Also, for twice the price of the cheaply built Nexus 7, I highly recommend you look into the only full-sized tablet that is truly better than the Ipad 3...the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700.
    Last edited by nextcity; 07-27-12 at 10:17 PM.
    07-27-12 10:06 PM
    I sold my 16GB Nexus 7 today on eBay. I could not get past how cheaply built it felt. The charger was a cheap joke that stayed boiling hot and smelled as if it was about to burst into flames...and the USB to micro USB cord was short and cheap. The build quality of the tablet felt like a childs toy. Yes, it was light...but the by-product of being cheaply built. The rubber steering wheel cover like rear with its holes was grippy, but collected everything it came into contact with in its holes. The screen was far less bright than the Playbook or my 10.1" Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 (which at $500 is a steal...it's the best tablet currently made at the moment in my opinion). The Wi-Fi antenna was only so-so. Back to the screen, it produced no where near the picture quality of other 1280x800 screens. The Chrome browser sucks, lack of flash not even being the major reason...I just hate Chrome. I have Ice Cream Sandwich on my Asus TF700, so Jelly Bean was nothing new or special. The sound quality sucked so bad that I always had to use my Jawbone Jambox just to hear it. The quad core processor on my TF700 made that of the Nexus 7's nothing special...it actually made it feel slow. The Home Screen always in portrait mode drove me crazy. The lack of an HDMI port also drove me crazy...I even missed not having a rear camera for apps that require scanning. In sum, I suspect the Nexus 7 will not last owners more than a year or so. I will purchase another 7" Android Tablet when all the Nexus 7 competition begins to roll out. Until then, the Playbook will be my only 7" tablet. Considering all that the Playbook has going for it at its current price, to anyone considering between the Nexus 7 and a Playbook...go for the Playbook. Also, for twice the price of the cheaply built Nexus 7, I highly recommend you look into the only full-sized tablet that is truly better than the Ipad 3...the Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700.

Most of that would be a deal breaker for me.
    07-28-12 05:33 AM
    I don't think that the current PlayBook should be compared with the new Google Nexus 7... YES, they are both on the same screen category, but their released dates were more than 12 months apart...

The PlayBook 4G should be the one to compete with Nexus 7...
    07-28-12 06:31 AM
    I don't think that the current PlayBook should be compared with the new Google Nexus 7... YES, they are both on the same screen category, but their released dates were more than 12 months apart...

The PlayBook 4G should be the one to compete with Nexus 7...
    the 4G playbook isnt changing anything that matters IMO. The software is still the software. Its still hindered by 1 GB of RAM. OS10 would be better to compare with.
    trinipoco likes this.
    07-28-12 06:53 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD