Not because I don't like the PB, in fact I LOVE it.

But I need to access a proprietary software/app that my company only makes for iOS and Android.

I'm excited about almost everything with the Nexus 7, especially how smooth and minimalistic Jelly Bean is. There's only 2, maybe 3 things I'm not looking forward to:

1. Low storage space 8gb or 16gb, really? I was maxing out my 16gb PB pretty easily. Looks like the cloud is where I shall go...

2. Speakers. Once you've experienced stereo front facing speakers on the PB, it's hard not to expect it as standard.

3. No rear facing camera. Not a biggie, but definitely will make pic taking a challenge.

Okay, maybe a 4th with the fact that I LOVE gestures!

Looks like I'll end up carrying around two devices. I have been a big hater on Android because of the lag and bog down the devices get after a couple days of use, but Jelly Bean is looking mighty tempting, and for $250 for the Nexus 7, why not?

The PB will be my main device, but the Nexus 7 might steal me away since it does offer some choice apps not available on OS2. Unless of course BB10 updates have anything to do about that...
    Last edited by jranciano; 07-10-12 at 03:25 PM.
    07-10-12 01:35 PM
    You'll love the Nexus 7 I think. JB is very, very nice.

I'd be interested in hearing your comparison to the PB using both side by side.
    07-10-12 01:38 PM
    ^ Not an iOS fan so iPad anything is out of the question. Less to do about the actual device itself and moreso about the ecosystem.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. It will be interesting not having the Bridge feature, but I could always turn my phone into a hotspot when I'm on the go with my Nexus 7. I'll have to fork up the $ for it though If I had an Android phone I could work around it and get free tethering....
    CairnsRock likes this.
    07-10-12 02:16 PM
    I would get one too if I didn't already own a $149 32Gb Touchpad with CM9 loaded on it...

I have to say, since getting a ICS phone, that Android has improved significantly over the Froyo and Honeycomb crap that I previously used.
    07-10-12 02:17 PM
    I'm this close on pulling the trigger on the Nexus 7 myself.
    The funny thing is, I don't see myself letting go of my miniscule (16GB) PlayBook.

I love the 7" form factor. I got my wife an iPad and I just feel more comfortable with 7" in my hands (out of context theater presents...).

There are quite a few applications I want on either system. Not to beat the dead horse, of course.

I'm mostly concerned about battery life; I like how QNX will give me 2 full days of use, sometimes 3 if I lay off it. I got a chance to play with a Galaxy Note with ICS and it was scary how quickly the batter drained.

There's quite a few articles that comment how the Nexus 7 is best in the US because of all the licensing deals Google has with in its stores. People outside the US will need to find other sources for content of find a way to by-pass regional restrictions.

And speaking of regional restrictions; one thing I look forward to on the Nexus 7 is using a VPN to emulate my presence on US soil. I tried configuring my account on the PlayBook and I haven't managed to get it working yet.
    07-10-12 02:20 PM
    Not because I don't like the PB, in fact I LOVE it.

But I need to access a proprietary software/app that my company only makes for iOS and Android.
    Have you suggested that they take the three minutes required to repackage it for the PlayBook? Then you can side load it on there and save yourself the cost of the Nexus.
    BLu likes this.
    07-10-12 02:40 PM
    I'm this close on pulling the trigger on the Nexus 7 myself.
    The funny thing is, I don't see myself letting go of my miniscule (16GB) PlayBook.

I love the 7" form factor. I got my wife an iPad and I just feel more comfortable with 7" in my hands (out of context theater presents...)..
    I can never figure it out how Steve Jobs missed the merit of the 7" form factor. 10" was and still is in the netbook category. It is very likely Google has that in mind as well.
    I have a slower Viewpad 7" and I can hold and use it either as a phone or as a handset for skype.

Daniel
    07-10-12 03:03 PM
    Much as I love my Playbook, I can't blame you for looking at the Nexus 7. For that price and that hardware, I'm tempted myself.

Keep us posted!
    07-10-12 03:03 PM
    Is there really such a thing as a Galaxy Nexus 7?
    07-10-12 03:04 PM
    Have you suggested that they take the three minutes required to repackage it for the PlayBook? Then you can side load it on there and save yourself the cost of the Nexus.
    Yes, I have.

But even then, I would still want the Nexus 7 for the better display, and for Netflix and a couple other apps. Again, here's to hoping BB10 OS brings with it these apps...

Is there really such a thing as a Galaxy Nexus 7?

Yes. Well, maybe the "Galaxy" part isn't official since it's being sold just as "Nexus 7". I may have just called it that by habit since the phone retains the Galaxy name...
    07-10-12 03:23 PM
    I ordered one myself, it doesn't mean it will replace my PB. From what I've seen, there's a couple of gestures that you can use when bringing the notifications bar down and clearing them. I will post my first impressions asap.
    07-10-12 04:04 PM
    I have a rooted Nook Color and sometimes use it for just a single app: WiFi Analyzer is really needed on the Playbook.
    FreeJACLive likes this.
    07-10-12 11:29 PM
    I ordered one myself, it doesn't mean it will replace my PB. From what I've seen, there's a couple of gestures that you can use when bringing the notifications bar down and clearing them. I will post my first impressions asap.
    you can swipe to dismiss them and such.
    wicher likes this.
    07-10-12 11:35 PM
    I pre-ordered one, but I still love my playbook and its my #1 tablet. Just need to feed my gadget lust lol
    ranchlizard likes this.
    07-11-12 12:09 AM
    Please do post a nice comparison of the two. Would love to read about it.

I recently bought the playbook (Before the Nexus 7 came out) and at that time, I felt that the playbook was a better buy than any of the android tabs in the range and I've been really happy about the multi-tasking and the gestures (As compared to my Android Phone).

I've used my friend's Android 2.3 tablet and I can say the playbook is much nicer to use but it would be nice to see what Android 4.1 brings to the tablet (Especially in terms of usability as an OS and in terms of how well you can multi-task).
    07-11-12 12:41 AM
    I was going to buy a Nexus 7 but without more storage and a microUSB slot I changed my mind. My Playbook was the first tablet I owned without expandable storage (not counting the "cloud") and it has been one of the biggest problems I have had with it. I will not purchase another tablet without some type of memory card slot. I am sure some of the other tablet manufacturers will come out with a 7" Jellybean tablet with the features the Nexus 7" is missing. As long as it doesn't go over $350 I will pick one of those up instead.
    07-11-12 06:15 AM
    I pre-ordered one, but I still love my playbook and its my #1 tablet. Just need to feed my gadget lust lol
    Me too. I ordered mine the same day RIM announced their latest BB10 delay cause I was pissed about it. I'm tired of not being able to Skype with my kids when I'm at work.
    07-11-12 10:37 AM
    No way I'm spending any money now to pick up a second tab to supplement/supplant the PB. Windows 8 tabs -- Surface, and the Samsung Windows 8 RT tab just announced are coming out in 3 months. The only question is Pro or RT. I wouldn't waste my time or money on an Android tab at this point.
    FreeJACLive likes this.
    07-11-12 11:30 AM
    Me too. I ordered mine the same day RIM announced their latest BB10 delay cause I was pissed about it. I'm tired of not being able to Skype with my kids when I'm at work.
    Oh, but skype is unnecessary and after all, who needs skype? I don't use it so its not important.
    /sarcasm

You have highlighted many reasons the playbook is in thr tank on sales and people are jumping to devices with features they want. RIM, after years of the same, continues to simply say "keep waiting, you may get it one day."
    07-11-12 01:49 PM
    You have highlighted many reasons the playbook is in thr tank on sales and people are jumping to devices with features they want. RIM, after years of the same, continues to simply say "keep waiting, you may get it one day."
    Or maybe not. RIM Is Bleeding Developers - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD
    07-13-12 07:57 AM
    Response from Saunders http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/07/bleeding-developers-far-from-it/
    07-13-12 12:11 PM
    You may want to re-think buying a nexus 7.
    Lots and lots of screen issues.
    Check out the videos some of them are very funny.

Nexus 7 - Screen touching itself
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqm773-Wj64[/YT]

Nexus 7 problems, no adobe, please help!
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRUCwacmp_E[/YT]

Nexus 7 Touch screen problem defect
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVkvCXDKU2M[/YT]

Nexus 7 touchscreen issue
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOTU75DBUA[/YT]

New Nexus 7 screen problem?
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SaBCVXmIBI[/YT]

Nexus 7 back light problem
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr1sq1R0QCY[/YT]

Google Nexus 7 tablet touchscreen issue
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZlQ8JwQYY[/YT]
    07-20-12 06:18 PM
    I'm a BB user all the way,

But isnt it expected for the first "batch" to have some glitches?

They too will try to fix the tabs probs like RIM solved the sloppy buttons and brought a new OS.

But a big fail for me would be the lack of a back cam - Photos apps off :s

But np, i have a BBPB

Sent from a beautiful but old BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    07-20-12 06:26 PM
    Yep. Never get hardware first run. Ever.

Shoddy work is never okay, but I have learned to never allow myself be a paying beta tester if I can help it.
    07-20-12 06:33 PM
    You may want to re-think buying a nexus 7.
    Lots and lots of screen issues.
    Check out the videos some of them are very funny.

Nexus 7 - Screen touching itself

Nexus 7 problems, no adobe, please help!

Nexus 7 Touch screen problem defect

Nexus 7 touchscreen issue

New Nexus 7 screen problem?

Nexus 7 back light problem

Google Nexus 7 tablet touchscreen issue
    OK, some of those were funny. Especially the guy complaining about Adobe. Wasn't that well known right before launch?
    07-20-12 07:34 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD