06-03-13 04:12 PM
63 123
tools
    I'm starting to lose faith here. I need an intervention. I'm really starting to lose faith in the PlayBook and am flirting with getting an iPad. My wife has an ipad mini and we have a lot of apple products in the house. She can mirror her iPad wirelessly on the TV, she has every app possible for work that I would need (can edit excel files, create them, make power points (keynote), as well as a better browser (her mini smokes my 2 year old PlayBook), better accessories (many keyboard options if I wanted to get one). I realize I have better multitasking but for what I'd use a tablet for (work and entertainment) I really don't know why I would keep my PB with no update to 10.1 or at least it seems that way. A big feature for me used to be bridge but I have the Z10 now and it's totally crippled to where its pretty much useless. Can anyone please help me and tell me why, if there is a reason I should stay with the PlayBook besides brand loyalty to Blackberry?
    hreiner1 and yueytan like this.
    05-26-13 10:12 PM
    To be honest, I think even Blackberry is unlikely to support the PlayBook at the moment..10.1 for the PlayBook is up in the air. The apps aren't as comprehensive as the iPad Mini's...and the best feature, the browser, isn't enough to carry the device anymore except among the most ardent of Blackberry fans...

Get the iPad mini for sure.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:17 PM
    I personally believe that there is no reason for us to be blindly loyal to certain product... if it is no longer satisfy our requirements, we must move on... life is short, my friend... and besides, we are the "customers"... we are the one paying or buying their products... we don't own these companies... we don't even need to defend or justify their weaknesses and flaws... in fact, we have rights to complain and express our disatisfaction, if whatever their advertised (or promised to deliver) did not happen...

Posted via Z10
    05-26-13 10:21 PM
    Well if you need the ipad grab it and keep the PB till it hopefully gets Bb10 on it.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    Kendall Oei likes this.
    05-26-13 10:26 PM
    Can anyone please help me and tell me why, if there is a reason I should stay with the PlayBook besides brand loyalty to Blackberry?
    $$$ Money is the only reason.
    Did you buy the Playbook because you thought it was a better choice that the competition or because of the price?

I bought it because, at the time, it was the best at that price point ($100.00-$200.00).
    The only other choices were Android 2.x devices that were garbage and the HP Whatchamacallit.
    Since that time the iPad Mini a couple of 7" Android devices have come to market.
    I don't regret getting the Playbook but if I were going to buy one today I would probably get the Nexus 7. I don't have anything against the iPad, just don't want to spend the money. I don't see $100.00+ in extra value over the Nexus.
    05-26-13 11:09 PM
    Just buy the apple product and get on with your life, why do you need people that you don't even know to make a decision for you!

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    Bbnivende, KittyBomb and testement like this.
    05-26-13 11:16 PM
    Just buy the apple product and get on with your life, why do you need people that you don't even know to make a decision for you!

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    I don't need them to make a decision for me. Last time I checked this forum was to ask questions and get opinions from people.
    KDB84 and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    05-26-13 11:25 PM
    Why would you want an IPad mini when you can get a Windows 8 tablet, with a bigger screen, an SD card slot, and a real USB port, for the same or less money.
    BerryClever and KDB84 like this.
    05-26-13 11:42 PM
    Why would you want an IPad mini when you can get a Windows 8 tablet, with a bigger screen, an SD card slot, and a real USB port, for the same or less money.
    I was seriously looking at the HP Envy convertible. Then I found out that when the keyboard is detached from the tablet (screen), the keyboard does not function. I would have expected the keyboard to work as a bluetooth peripheral to the tablet portion. But then again, unlike the pb, the hdmi port is on the keyboard, so placing the hdmi portion near the tv would mean the keyboard would be OVER THERE!!!! So remote control would not exactly work. I guess one could add even more peripherals like a bt mouse and keyboard!

I don't know how the MS Surface works but it is much more pricy.
    05-27-13 12:08 AM
    To be honest, I think even Blackberry is unlikely to support the PlayBook at the moment..10.1 for the PlayBook is up in the air. The apps aren't as comprehensive as the iPad Mini's...and the best feature, the browser, isn't enough to carry the device anymore except among the most ardent of Blackberry fans...

Get the iPad mini for sure.

Posted via CB10
    Where do you get the notion that the PlayBook update is "up in the air"? They haven't given a release date, but it's been committed to and that hasn't been changed.
    KDB84 likes this.
    05-27-13 12:09 AM
    Where do you get the notion that the PlayBook update is "up in the air"? They haven't given a release date, but it's been committed to and that hasn't been changed.
    It hasn't been given a release date...you just answered yourself...

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 12:29 AM
    I have been reading quite a few leaks and sources are saying that it is coming for the PlayBook. Patience!

Posted via SEGA master system
    05-27-13 12:33 AM
    At this point, I don't trust anything unless it's been released or announced officially...

That said, I think my recommendation for the OP to consider the iPad mini isn't far off the wall...

I love the PlayBook myself and would certainly want the update soon, but let's get real here...

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 12:37 AM
    I'm starting to lose faith here. I need an intervention. I'm really starting to lose faith in the PlayBook and am flirting with getting an iPad. My wife has an ipad mini and we have a lot of apple products in the house. She can mirror her iPad wirelessly on the TV, she has every app possible for work that I would need (can edit excel files, create them, make power points (keynote), as well as a better browser (her mini smokes my 2 year old PlayBook), better accessories (many keyboard options if I wanted to get one). I realize I have better multitasking but for what I'd use a tablet for (work and entertainment) I really don't know why I would keep my PB with no update to 10.1 or at least it seems that way. A big feature for me used to be bridge but I have the Z10 now and it's totally crippled to where its pretty much useless. Can anyone please help me and tell me why, if there is a reason I should stay with the PlayBook besides brand loyalty to Blackberry?
    Here is why. Your playbook has no resale value. Unless you really needed the $100 or less. Keep it in the drawer. If there's an upgrade, great! Otherwise, move on and get an iPad for yourself.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-27-13 12:46 AM
    i have one word well maybe 2.... itunes .... hate hate hate it.. enough said
    KDB84 likes this.
    05-27-13 01:01 AM
    I am completely in the same boat you are in. I bought the PlayBook mainly because of the price and because of bb10 possibly dropping on the PlayBook. But the last 6 months have shown me that it is pretty much a downhill spiral from here on out for the PlayBook. I have a z10 that has all but replaced my PlayBook and the iPad mini is looking like the clear champ here. BB has such a long way to go if they want to be taken seriously in the tablet market. I say, sell your PB on ebay and get what you can for it, and get yourself an iPad mini.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-27-13 01:09 AM
    I have both and wrote a thread on why I perfer the PB so ill just address ur points. I don't like editing documents on tablets but there is smart office lite for the PB and it looks pretty good. I hate the ipad browser for many reasons including flash, news sites make me subscribe, forms don't auto fill and of course moving from the browser to an app is cumbersome. I have a keyboard case for my PB works fine, i have also a logi tech thin keyboard for my ipad and it turns into a sweet magentic case but now its wont type... 100 bucks down the drain not apples fault though.
    05-27-13 01:53 AM
    Wait a few months and get your choice of the latest and greatest including the retina ipad mini. In the meantime keep telling your wife how much better her tablet is than yours. Can't hurt.
    05-27-13 02:08 AM
    If BB10 is not coming to PB, (and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't), consider it dead.
    yueytan likes this.
    05-27-13 02:12 AM
    I have both the ipad2 and the PB. For some things, like apps in my own country (Netherlands), the iPad is better. But docs2go, standard out of the box on PB, has been better at handling ppt than two costly suites on the iPad. Also, the true multitasking is something that sets the PB apart. Every time I have a video playing on YouTube and want to look at something else on the iPad, and playback stops, I look at that Apple thingy like it is playing a prank or something. Just keeps surprising me, never really seems to sink in that this premium device just can not do that. And ever since I have the Z10, I keep swiping the bezels of the iPad, and the keyboard to delete. Sometimes I let out a sigh when I press the home button. That's how compelling qnx/BB10 has been (but dammit, get me bb10 on the PB!)
    Add to that the finicky hdmi connector kit costing something like 40 bucks whereas my PB has that built in, and the workarounds needed to a oid using that abomination called iTunes.
    So, the iPad is supported way better than the PB, its battery life is somewhat better, but the UI hinders me, and too many basic things require 3rd party apps or peripherals. So, if I had to let one of them go, it would be the iPad. Btw, I paid more or less the same amount for them, in the 600-700$ range.
    Those are just my reasons, they might not work for you.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 Vodafone NL
    akinsola likes this.
    05-27-13 02:23 AM
    I'm having similar thoughts. It is pretty painful surfing the net on my PB, so much so that I actively avoid it now, whereas in the past it was the go to device.

One thing that has always annoyed me is that the when you're searching in Google, you are unable to select the suggestions provided as you enter your query. And deleting a word once typed is a real chore.

Not in a hurry to replace it, but PB 2.1 is a poor experience.
    05-27-13 03:01 AM
    No, just sell your PB. Sounds like the iPad is more suited to your needs

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    05-27-13 03:39 AM
    My playbook is sitting in its original box collecting dust. -.-.
    05-27-13 03:44 AM
    Here's a great reason to use a playbook over an ipad. The Web. You can actually surf on it on the Playbook. On the iPad you kind of pretend to surf on it... because there is so much of the web you can't actually see. You know.. little sites like...YouTube. Oh you have a youtube app? That's cute. You know all content is accessible on your little app right? No? Well now you do. Oh... and that wifi thing. Yeah the wifi on iPads sucks. Ya know why? The morons at apple actually routed the power to the wifi antenna through the display. So if you turn down the brightness... guess what? Right. You lose wifi signal.

I live in a house were there are 4 ipads. They are cute little toys used by the kids. Nothing more.
    FrycHiKn and CerveloJohn like this.
    05-27-13 04:16 AM
    I hope you're not kidding. Maybe you've never used a PB browser?

The PlayBook browser crashes and checkerboards so much, it's not funny... Safari on iOS may not have Flash but it's a lot more stable and it has proper bookmark management. I would gladly take a proper Youtube app that handles MP4 streams instead of using the PB browser.

Don't get called out for being a stupid fanboy
    litig8or98 and JeepBB like this.
    05-27-13 05:47 AM
63 123