One thing is certain, (whether people over here admit to it or not) ---- PLAYBOOK isn't going to get a fully fledged BB10 OS upgrade. Maybe, it will get a few features. Mark my words.....
    Umm.. Where do you get your information?!?!?!?!! PB will get the full blown BB10 OS! Go away troll!
    12-03-12 12:11 PM
    Considering there are developers with BB10 OS on the PB already, and I have seen BB10 with my own eyes on a PB, I can say 100% that it will be coming and it will be the full OS!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-03-12 12:14 PM
    But do we really want BB10 on our PlayBooks? Isn't BB10 optimized for phone-sized screens, not to mention for devices which are primarily used for messaging?

I dunno, but it almost seems a downgrade compared to OS2, at least as far as the interface goes. I use my PlayBook differently than I use my phone. My phone is all about messaging, though I run an app or two now and then as well.

But the PlayBook is more about apps. BB10 with it's Hub makes perfect sense for a messaging device like a phone, but I'm not so sure it's the best fit for a tablet that's used more for switching between apps. For for doing that, the PlayBook's OS2 works really well, IMHO, though I'll admit it needs some additional work to be perfect (editable and sorting bookmarks, a browser that handles javascript better, browser controls at the bottom where I can reach them easier, ability to rename home screen icons, ability to reorder home screens, more notification options like our phone's Profiles).
    12-03-12 12:52 PM
    I've been told on good authority to expect it in the summer.
    Would that be the summer before or after the Mayan calendar ends? Hmm...I just answered my own question. LOL

Actually, I have it on good authority from the as yet unborn, ill-conceived third daughter of the seventh niece of the second CEO removed from Thorsten Heins that BlackBerry OS 10 will definitely possibly be released for the current generation BlackBerry PlayBook in time for the uniting of the global tectonic plates sometime before the decimation of humanity at the hands of the nineteenth generational descendant of the world's most famous gorilla,Titus, on the maternal-side of the family tree.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-03-12 12:55 PM
    But do we really want BB10 on our PlayBooks? Isn't BB10 optimized for phone-sized screens, not to mention for devices which are primarily used for messaging?

I dunno, but it almost seems a downgrade compared to OS2, at least as far as the interface goes. I use my PlayBook differently than I use my phone. My phone is all about messaging, though I run an app or two now and then as well.

But the PlayBook is more about apps. BB10 with it's Hub makes perfect sense for a messaging device like a phone, but I'm not so sure it's the best fit for a tablet that's used more for switching between apps. For for doing that, the PlayBook's OS2 works really well, IMHO, though I'll admit it needs some additional work to be perfect (editable and sorting bookmarks, a browser that handles javascript better, browser controls at the bottom where I can reach them easier, ability to rename home screen icons, ability to reorder home screens, more notification options like our phone's Profiles).
    By that same logic, the iPad should be a horrific experience because it uses the same iOS that the iPhone uses.

Believe me, we want BB10 on the Playbook. It's considerably more efficient than the current PBOS, and part of the reason it will be delayed a bit after the phone intro is because there will be extra work to optimize the experience for tablet users.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    12-03-12 01:01 PM
    Waiting for the BB10 to come on to the PB...
    12-03-12 01:26 PM
    By that same logic, the iPad should be a horrific experience because it uses the same iOS that the iPhone uses.
    Horrific no, but I'd suggest that iOS is more suited for the iPad and iPod than iPhone, since they're basically apps devices. On the iPhone, messaging is just another app(s), as there's no real focus on it as is with BB10's Hub... so it looks a little "clunky" to flip around to see your emails. I do like the pulldown Notification Shade though... wish we had that

And I think I read that the gestures used in BB10 were kinda designed around using your thumb to control a phone one-handed, which isn't how I use my PlayBook.

I mean I guess BB10 can work on the PB, but I hope they change some of the interface and gestures around to take advantage of the larger screen and different ways we need to control things because of the larger screen.
    12-03-12 01:38 PM
    But do we really want BB10 on our PlayBooks? Isn't BB10 optimized for phone-sized screens
    BlackBerry 10's ancestor is BlackBerry Tablet OS, which is designed for tablets. I imagine RIM is likely designing BlackBerry 10 so it can be scaled and adapted for both. The tablet was the first device to utilize these pieces.
    12-03-12 01:45 PM
    RIM could push the BB10 for Playbook on the launch day of BB10. A perfect marketing strategy
    12-03-12 02:09 PM
    Omg these threads are getting ridiculous. PlayBook IS getting  10. If someone tells you any different they are not only lying to you but to themselves as well. Its been said TOO MANY times from people who actually are in the know because they work for RIM.

Why is it so hard to believe? "The hardware is too old" false the dev alpha has the same chip inside as the PlayBook. Dev alpha B has the same chip as the PlayBook 4G.

Releasing  10 to PlayBook gives RIM 2 million people to market the OS. it also shows that RIM can keep a promise. Its good buisness all the way around.
    1:Numerous people from rim have stated  10 is coming to PlayBook 2: HTML5test.com shows that internal builds of BlackBerry10 for PlayBook tablet have been around for some time now.
    3: The bug reporter app in 2.1 beta that slipped out shows that BBM and a Navigation app are being worked on internally for PlayBook...this was months ago.

Why are these threads popping up when everything points to the PlayBook getting  10? Someone thought Thor wasn't blunt enough in an interview and now "PlayBook won't get  10" or "PlayBook might get  10 but only if the phones do well" or how about "PlayBook will get  10 but it will be a very stripped down version" gimme a break, its coming to PlayBook,its gonna be a great update to the current OS and that's the way its gonna play out...OK?
    /end rant/

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-03-12 02:16 PM
    Omg these threads are getting ridiculous. PlayBook IS getting  10. If someone tells you any different they are not only lying to you but to themselves as well. Its been said TOO MANY times from people who actually are in the know because they work for RIM.

Why is it so hard to believe? "The hardware is too old" false the dev alpha has the same chip inside as the PlayBook. Dev alpha B has the same chip as the PlayBook 4G.

Releasing  10 to PlayBook gives RIM 2 million people to market the OS. it also shows that RIM can keep a promise. Its good buisness all the way around.
    1:Numerous people from rim have stated  10 is coming to PlayBook 2: HTML5test.com shows that internal builds of BlackBerry10 for PlayBook tablet have been around for some time now.
    3: The bug reporter app in 2.1 beta that slipped out shows that BBM and a Navigation app are being worked on internally for PlayBook...this was months ago.

Why are these threads popping up when everything points to the PlayBook getting  10? Someone thought Thor wasn't blunt enough in an interview and now "PlayBook won't get  10" or "PlayBook might get  10 but only if the phones do well" or how about "PlayBook will get  10 but it will be a very stripped down version" gimme a break, its coming to PlayBook,its gonna be a great update to the current OS and that's the way its gonna play out...OK?
    /end rant/

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    Don't feed adadadad the troll food... he's become a huge RIM/PlayBook troll. Go through his post history and NOT 1 of his/her posts are positive about RIM. I don't know why people like him even come on here. A few people have proven to him that he doesn't know what he is talking about, he's just trolling along. I'm surprised he hasn't been hit yet or read this http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...forums-655452/ and why he is still here is just beyond me. He's not personally insulting anyone, but trolling also has to do with giving people misplaced facts and personal hatred towards a company and not having anything constructive to say.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    12-03-12 02:40 PM
    Truthfully, we do not know if BlackBerry OS 10 will be released for the BlackBerry PlayBook. Heins couched his words saying within months of the release for the smartphones. I dare not read anything definitive into his words because their track record to date has been spotty with over-promising and under-delivering. We should have received BlackBerry OS 10 for the tablet in September as a precursor to its release on the next-generation smartphones. That would have allowed plenty of time to put the OS and UI through their paces during a quiet 4-month shakedown cruise.
    ]Launch BlackBerry10 on Playbook as soon as possible and you have 2 million marketers working to sell BlackBerry10[/B]. They will get it on Playbook as soon as they can because it's good for the company. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tablet version of BB10 on another OEM's hardware either. The code is already there. It's not like they have to build a new OS. The fact is that they said it was coming so it will come. We will first get a few more PlayBook os updates, one of which will include BlackBerry world store. This will likely come sometime in December. Who knows BBM and Navigator could show up before BlackBerry10 does too but that part is just speculation
    2 million persons starved for a OS update and decent apps would be the best promoters IMO.

Seems to me they should have released the OS to the PlayBook first, having 2 million beta testers and persons actively promoting your product would be a good thing and it would allow them to "fine-tune" the OS. To protect themselves from it impacting phone sales if it's a flop they could name it 5.0. 8.0 , 9.9 or something. As most people don't even know RIM was the company behind the 1st gen PlayBooks (1Ghz dual cpu)... Most people in the "Real World" if it did fail or needed additional work would ever hear about it.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 12-03-12 at 03:36 PM.
    12-03-12 02:55 PM
    PlayBook IS getting  10. If someone tells you any different they are not only lying to you but to themselves as well. Its been said TOO MANY times from people who actually are in the know because they work for RIM.
    Is  10 really its new name? Has RIM hired Prince as a consultant?
    12-03-12 03:28 PM
    Seems to me they should have released the OS to the PlayBook first, having 2 million beta testers
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't. They've also been criticized for the PlayBook being a distraction. And heavily too.

I think they are absolutely testing key features and part of BlackBerry 10 on PlayBook. The radio stack on PlayBook LTE as part of 2.1 comes to mind ...
    12-03-12 03:52 PM
    Would that be the summer before or after the Mayan calendar ends? Hmm...I just answered my own question. LOL

Actually, I have it on good authority from the as yet unborn, ill-conceived third daughter of the seventh niece of the second CEO removed from Thorsten Heins that BlackBerry OS 10 will definitely possibly be released for the current generation BlackBerry PlayBook in time for the uniting of the global tectonic plates sometime before the decimation of humanity at the hands of the nineteenth generational descendant of the world's most famous gorilla,Titus, on the maternal-side of the family tree.
    And with link references, too. So an impeccable fact laden rumor like all of the others!
    12-03-12 04:30 PM
    Is  10 really its new name? Has RIM hired Prince as a consultant?
    ROTFLMAO!!! Thanks for the laugh. I needed one after reading thru this thread (time that I'll sadly never be able to get back). Some people seem to spend far too much time worrying about what they'll get next instead of appreciating what they have now. I'm at a point in my life where every day is a precious gift and I take nothing for granted. I bought my Playbook for what it does, not for what I think/hope it might do some day. I browse the web, answer email, read books, play games with my grandkids, listen to music and watch movies with it very well. I hope you all get what you're wishing for and if the Playbook doesn't do it for you, find something that does. As for me, I'm good and living in the moment. And I say this with all respect and love.
    12-03-12 04:42 PM

<snip>

/end rant/

The Associated Press
    Published Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012 1:56PM EST
    TORONTO -- Research In Motion rose Thursday after Goldman Sachs upgraded the phone maker's shares, saying there's a "30 per cent chance" RIM's much-delayed BlackBerry 10 smartphones will be a success.

30% chance of success. AKA 70% chance of failure. If BB10 on phones fails, RIM in its present form is finished.

Pretend you are dropped into the position of someone trying to save an embattled company that employs thousands. One small portion of your business has lost the equivalent of more than half of your remaining cash reserves in the last 19 months. The competition in this segment of the market has become even more fierce. Amazon, for example, seems content to sell polished products at a loss with the intention of making it up through sales facilitated through the use of these products. Google is doing something similar, except their profits come largely through the sales of targeted advertising facilitated by these devices. I won't go into the 800 lb gorilla that presently dominates this segment. The only way to compete is to price your product in such a way as to incur further heavy losses.

What is the logical thing to do? Do you double down on a product category that has been a financial disaster for you and accept still more losses for the forseeable future or do you focus resources on areas most likely to help your company survive?

I'm not saying it is impossible that RIM will release BB10 for old PlayBooks some time after BB10 is released on phones. I recently said, "Perhaps a goodwill BB10 release for old Playbooks next summer if things are going well and it can be done cheaply. Don't count on it though.�

You say, �PlayBook IS getting BB10. If someone tells you any different they are not only lying to you but to themselves as well.�

I am much less sure.

I want RIM to succeed, if only to keep my taxes as a Canadian down. We don't need another Nortel scenario. Hopefully the new CEO will not indulge PlayBook owners such as myself with BB10 if it puts his company at greater risk of outright failure.

No RIM, no PlayBook anything, software or hardware.
    12-03-12 05:00 PM

No RIM, no PlayBook anything, software or hardware.
    In this case, you're engaging in speculation, but the truth is that even if BB10 is not a spectacular success it will be at least a few months before we know that for sure. More than enough time for RIM to get the BB10 update out to PlayBook owners.
    12-03-12 05:16 PM
    In this case, you're engaging in speculation, but the truth is that even if BB10 is not a spectacular success it will be at least a few months before we know that for sure. More than enough time for RIM to get the BB10 update out to PlayBook owners.
    If the new phones are a failure or less than spectacular (we shall see), then Rim's will may just not be there. I think it will be pretty clear early on how well the market is accepting the new phones and OS. Getting these phones launched has to be burning through gobs of money. They need to be able to replenish those reserves. I think that is where some of us are concerned.
    12-03-12 06:14 PM
    And with link references, too. So an impeccable fact laden rumor like all of the others!
    Without links to sources the posting would have been mere speculation and hearsay.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-03-12 07:11 PM
    His a$$...lol
    12-03-12 07:43 PM

Give me BB10 on PB and let me worry about those questions
    12-03-12 08:06 PM
    Without links to sources the posting would have been mere speculation and hearsay.
    Without links to sources denying BB10 on PB, all rumors about BB10 not coming to PB are mere speculation and hearsay :P
    12-03-12 08:08 PM
    Don't feed adadadad the troll food... he's become a huge RIM/PlayBook troll. Go through his post history and NOT 1 of his/her posts are positive about RIM. I don't know why people like him even come on here. A few people have proven to him that he doesn't know what he is talking about, he's just trolling along. I'm surprised he hasn't been hit yet or read this http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...forums-655452/ and why he is still here is just beyond me. He's not personally insulting anyone, but trolling also has to do with giving people misplaced facts and personal hatred towards a company and not having anything constructive to say.
    Well, i can't go away because i'm not a troll. And if one goes through your posts over the past few days, one thing is evident -- you are always jumping at me, even if i didn't insult you or anyone else. (isn't it called 'personal attacks' ?) And are you kidding or what? I give people misplaced facts? Then, i request to go through my posts once again. I'm here to know the ins and outs of my device. I don't think, i ever tried to spread hatred against RIM. I have always admired RIM's Playbook and bold 9930 for what they can do (that i own). Yeah, i did say, i was not satisfied with a few features like, i wasn't happy with PB's GPS. And i also miss a few apps and want them in BB10 OS. But i just said, 'i would love to have' and neve attacked RIM for this. Is it because of what you perceive me as a troll ? I'm not sure, what you're basing your opinion on.
    12-03-12 09:28 PM
    And I think I read that the gestures used in BB10 were kinda designed around using your thumb to control a phone one-handed, which isn't how I use my PlayBook.

I mean I guess BB10 can work on the PB, but I hope they change some of the interface and gestures around to take advantage of the larger screen and different ways we need to control things because of the larger screen.
    Have no fear, because the only reason BB10 will not be on the PlayBook about the same time it will be launched on the new phones is because they plan to modify the user interface to better suit the tablet form factor. The gestures will probably not be identical (for reasons including the one you noted), and the visuals will definitely be different.

Simple example: the phone has a portrait orientation by default (taller than it is wide) so there's an "action bar" along the bottom where it's easiest to reach with your thumb when holding the phone one-handed, whereas on the tablet (landscape by default) the usual approach is to hold the device in both hands and so the equivalent menu will probably be along one side or the other. Buttons and text and all those things will be changed, and many other things.

And yes, we absolutely want BB10 on our PlayBooks. If nothing else, because the PlayBook OS would probably never get another major update if it were left on the Tablet OS. With a change to BB10, we can definitely count on some major improvements. Nobody would argue against that...
    12-03-12 10:17 PM
76 1234