I need a new tablet, I've ruined the charging port on my current PB by dropping it 100 times while plugged in. I am looking at getting a 32gb PB, but if they're not going to upgrade them to the BB10 OS I will wait. Can anyone advise me on the PB and potential upgrading to BB10 OS.
    12-02-12 02:30 AM
    I need a new tablet, I've ruined the charging port on my current PB by dropping it 100 times while plugged in. I am looking at getting a 32gb PB, but if they're not going to upgrade them to the BB10 OS I will wait. Can anyone advise me on the PB and potential upgrading to BB10 OS.
    Yes, it will be updated to bb10. Thor has confirmed this. No word on timing, just, soon after the phones kick off.
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    12-02-12 02:45 AM
    hope it will be soon
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    12-02-12 03:17 AM
    Might I also advise you of the wisdom of investing in either a dock/cradle or a rapid charger? Seriously some of the best accessory money I've spent and lots of clearance pricing to be found. Local stores and online. Office Depot for one in US.
    kbz1960, FF22, axllebeer and 2 others like this.
    12-02-12 03:33 AM
    hope it will be soon
    april at the soonest i would guess
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    12-02-12 04:28 AM
    Thank you very much for the info!
    12-02-12 04:36 AM
    Thank you very much for the info!
    One thing is certain, (whether people over here admit to it or not) ---- PLAYBOOK isn't going to get a fully fledged BB10 OS upgrade. Maybe, it will get a few features. Mark my words.....
    Qmax likes this.
    12-02-12 04:53 AM
    RE: I'm confused, will my PB be upgraded to BB10 OS or not?

Only RIM can tell... and do...
    12-02-12 06:09 AM
    Truthfully, we do not know if BlackBerry OS 10 will be released for the BlackBerry PlayBook. Heins couched his words saying within months of the release for the smartphones. I dare not read anything definitive into his words because their track record to date has been spotty with over-promising and under-delivering. We should have received BlackBerry OS 10 for the tablet in September as a precursor to its release on the next-generation smartphones. That would have allowed plenty of time to put the OS and UI through their paces during a quiet 4-month shakedown cruise.
    12-02-12 07:41 AM
    Truthfully, we do not know if BlackBerry OS 10 will be released for the BlackBerry PlayBook. Heins couched his words saying within months of the release for the smartphones. I dare not read anything definitive into his words because their track record to date has been spotty with over-promising and under-delivering. We should have received BlackBerry OS 10 for the tablet in September as a precursor to its release on the next-generation smartphones. That would have allowed plenty of time to put the OS and UI through their paces during a quiet 4-month shakedown cruise.
    And stolen all of their thunder. They know the volume is going to be in handset sales. Maybe the BB10 OS will also kickstart the PlayBook too.
    robkd likes this.
    12-02-12 07:50 AM
    One thing is certain, (whether people over here admit to it or not) ---- PLAYBOOK isn't going to get a fully fledged BB10 OS upgrade. Maybe, it will get a few features. Mark my words.....
    Is this your opinion or do you have any links to back it up?
    12-02-12 07:52 AM
    Is this your opinion or do you have any links to back it up?
    Yeah, because he knows better than RIM's CEO and top QNX evangelists....
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-02-12 07:55 AM
    There won't be anything to test bb10 will simply be ported over with a few tweaks to the code. It's no like they have to write and entire new batch of code to make it work on the playbook.

Why would you release it early for the tablet and take away any secrets it may have?
    12-02-12 11:16 AM
    Color me still somewhat of a cynic. Here's what I posted i the Thor is cagey thread:

"My feeling - BB10 for the pb will come or will not come. Don't count on it.

As others have hinted or stated, if the bb10 phones are not very successful, we may never see bb10 for the pb. Rim may just never get there.

Now, I do wonder what would be considered a successful bb10 phone launch and sell-through. I would guess that there will be initial pent up demand for the New and Glamorous. But will that be 500,000 sales to their 70-80 Million subscribers or 4 million or 10 million sales. I don't see it matching iphone sales - those folks are fanatics. So, crossing fingers, I hope they are successful. But, I for one, have no update (if Verizon even offers them) until March 2014. Also, unless they improve cursor placement (edit, copy, select) over the current pb method, I will not be very interested. I can easily place the cursor where I want it with my 9930 and easily fix a typo. No such luck (might be me) with the pb's editing blue arrows!

My take - solely my take. "
    12-02-12 12:47 PM
    There truly isn't good reason or argument for BB10 NOT being on the PB. It's a relatively easy upgrade since the PB OS already has many of BB10's components. BB10 is just a major PB OS update. Take a look at the following, it may help convince you:

How to Run #BB10 on your BlackBerry #PlayBook ← Open Source BlackBerry – OSBB
    12-02-12 03:33 PM
    At some point after the release of the new BB10 phones.
    12-02-12 03:35 PM
    Originally I think that bb10 was going to come to the playbook, but then Thor did an interview where he didnt explicitly say bb10 was going to be on pb so...maybe
    12-02-12 03:36 PM
    I've been told on good authority to expect it in the summer.
    12-02-12 05:55 PM
    Bottom line? Buy devices based on what they do NOW. Upgrades are fine, but assume that your device will be as-is software-wise for the duration of ownership. You'll be much happier.

Only one major platform that I'm aware of allows the user to tinker and update hardware-capable devices him/herself.
    Drew808, timberdc and KermEd like this.
    12-02-12 06:16 PM
    Sometime in the future... When? No one knows...
    12-02-12 07:37 PM
    Launch BlackBerry10 on Playbook as soon as possible and you have 2 million marketers working to sell BlackBerry10. They will get it on Playbook as soon as they can because it's good for the company. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tablet version of BB10 on another OEM's hardware either. The code is already there. It's not like they have to build a new OS. The fact is that they said it was coming so it will come. We will first get a few more PlayBook os updates, one of which will include BlackBerry world store. This will likely come sometime in December. Who knows BBM and Navigator could show up before BlackBerry10 does too but that part is just speculation
    12-02-12 11:27 PM
    Yeah, because he knows better than RIM's CEO and top QNX evangelists....
    You can be sarcastic. And i don't complain.
    12-02-12 11:45 PM
    Bottom line? Buy devices based on what they do NOW. Upgrades are fine, but assume that your device will be as-is software-wise for the duration of ownership. You'll be much happier.

Only one major platform that I'm aware of allows the user to tinker and update hardware-capable devices him/herself.
    Completely agree..!
    lboogie_1971_ likes this.
    12-02-12 11:46 PM
    Yes. Probably. Eventually.

I doubt even RIM's CEO knows with 100% certainty.
    12-03-12 11:42 AM
    Your source for this is ...?
    12-03-12 11:49 AM
76 123 ...