I've had a playbook for 6months now.... I don't have a blackberry phone....don't need one... i have a cell phone....JUST a cell phone...

I get tired of the, which is better ipad or playbook. I went to an apple store to mess around with the ipad. MEH! (my daughter says that all the time, never knew what it meant, but i think its says what i thought of the ipad)

So heres my problem or question or whatever. Can some one tell me What Ipad can do that the playbook can't? I don't want to hear "well the ipad has a 10" screen or it comes in two colours". All I want to know is what can it do that playbook can't and what I suspect I will hear is that playbook can do everything that an ipad can do.

But an ipad can't do everything a playbook can do.

I don't know enough about the ipad to unequivocally make that statement but i think it may be true.
    Another Playbook vs iPad thread. Brilliant. Yes you are confused. Meh
    06-02-12 09:56 AM
    wow
    what a "let's cut the hair in 4 in its length" post ...
    06-02-12 11:36 AM
    This is ridiculous.
    06-02-12 11:53 AM
    I've had a playbook for 6months now.... I don't have a blackberry phone....don't need one... i have a cell phone....JUST a cell phone...

I get tired of the, which is better ipad or playbook. I went to an apple store to mess around with the ipad. MEH! (my daughter says that all the time, never knew what it meant, but i think its says what i thought of the ipad)

So heres my problem or question or whatever. Can some one tell me What Ipad can do that the playbook can't? I don't want to hear "well the ipad has a 10" screen or it comes in two colours". All I want to know is what can it do that playbook can't and what I suspect I will hear is that playbook can do everything that an ipad can do.

But an ipad can't do everything a playbook can do.

I don't know enough about the ipad to unequivocally make that statement but i think it may be true.
    I had an iPad. I liked it for about a week and then the novelty of it wore off. I set it aside and didn't ever bother with it. I found it to be terminally boring. It was certainly built well and seemed to be very reliable...not really bug-free, though.

I traded my iPad for enough money at Gamestop to buy a 32GB ASUS TF301 Transformer Android tablet. Now this is an interesting tablet...not boring at all. So, in my view of it all, what the iPad can do is get you more money as a trade-in than the Playbook. And, unlike the iPad I had, I'm loving my ASUS Android tablet. It allows what the iPad couldn't, and likely never would: a GUI allowing the use of a mouse. And Gamestop has a very cool looking dual-analog game controller (looks like an XBOX 360 controller) that works with the Android tablets they sell. This is what I wish RIM would do with the Playbook, make a game controller.

Apple is severely lacking in development of their products...they aren't evolving like Android is. And because of this Android will overtake and displace the iPad and eventually the iPhone. iOS is essentially the exact same thing it was when first launched. They won't survive by keeping it that way. Every year that goes by, iOS becomes older and more boring while Android and the others, including BB10, evolve and become fresh all the time.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 06-02-12 at 12:54 PM.
    06-02-12 12:52 PM
    The iPad is better in every way except flash and arguably size and UI. The worst thing about the PB is that even the browser sucks in terms of stability and performance.
    06-02-12 01:05 PM
    Another Playbook vs iPad thread. Brilliant. Yes you are confused. Meh

Not as confused as you obviously.

If you had have actually read what i asked, then you would have realized that i wanted one side. Not Playbook vs Ipad.

Nothing i've read in this thread has made me think... "Oh crap I bought the wrong tablet, I should have bought an Ipad" I was tired of the Playbook Vs Ipad debate.

Now that i think of it, it was crazy for me to even ask the question.................
    06-02-12 01:35 PM
    No side will ever win, not even on a BlackBerry enthusiasts forum. If this same question were posted on an Android or apple forum.. Surely their respective brands would win. (realistically there is no 'best' tablet, but if there were one, there could be only one....) So somebody's gotta be wrong.

Maybe it says something about this Site, or blackberry users.. Maybe we're not as blind as our counterparts, or there's just too many counterparts on these forums compared to... The forums of our counterparts.....
    06-02-12 01:41 PM
    6 pages, 83 posts, and this thread, for whatever unimaginable reason, still has legs...wtf!
    06-02-12 03:20 PM
    No side will ever win, not even on a BlackBerry enthusiasts forum. If this same question were posted on an Android or apple forum.. Surely their respective brands would win. (realistically there is no 'best' tablet, but if there were one, there could be only one....) So somebody's gotta be wrong.

Maybe it says something about this Site, or blackberry users.. Maybe we're not as blind as our counterparts, or there's just too many counterparts on these forums compared to... The forums of our counterparts.....
    Well, I'm not really sure that you've realised the point that you've just made (or heavily implied). Which is that whilst android or ipad afficionados will defend and champion their tablet, PB users will not to the same degree. The inference can only be that the PB is inferior.
    06-02-12 03:43 PM
    Try sharing stuff on a Playbook, Try emailing a picture or better try emailing 2 pictures using playbook,
    I send 2+ pics with my playbook all the time. What do you mean by your comment?
    06-02-12 04:22 PM
    Try sharing stuff on a Playbook,

Try emailing a picture or better try emailing 2 pictures using playbook,

Ok, emailed a 2M pic not problems, even did 2, still no issues

try searching for a file or picture using the playbook,

Ok??? What is the issue with searching for files?? I have no issues ever finding files

try accessing file on your pc from a playbook,

I use splashtop, and citrix - again not an issue

there is so much the playbook cant do that you can do on an iPad or Android tablet.

Seriously the playbook is very limited compared to anything out there, i like my playbook a lot but there is no way it even comes close to the advancements that Android and IOS has.

At the moment i would say the playbook is a toy and a very beta one at that.

Call me negative or a Troll i dont care.......
    Wont call you anything - but come on -
    06-02-12 08:30 PM
    Way more apps & supports Skype & other video chat clients.
    That's pretty much it.

I wouldn't get one due to it not having flash.
    I HATE that Apple devices don't have flash. That's the only thing I dislike
    about my iPhone
    06-02-12 08:50 PM
    Well, I'm not really sure that you've realised the point that you've just made (or heavily implied). Which is that whilst android or ipad afficionados will defend and champion their tablet, PB users will not to the same degree. The inference can only be that the PB is inferior.
    Well no you see because if there can only be "one best tablet of them all", and each respective fan claims its theirs, then one of these fans must be wrong... (in reality there is no best tablet): and maybe thats where we (the community) have our head on straight, and are not blinded, see the good and the bad, and recognize things for what they are. "Fans" must be blind to think their own device is the best when there can only be one.

I'm not stating anything as fact here, or saying that this is how it is realistically, or that this community is exactly like I described. I'm just offering a point of view for the sake of conversation.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    06-02-12 09:14 PM
    If you want the ipad side go to an apple forum. I have a new ipad and the playbook. If apple made a 7 inch tablet I would not have the playbook. I use netflix a lot. I like being able to switch from the tvto the ipad in the middle of a movie. I like Skype and accessing my 3 windows media center computers from the ipad. Most of all I love talking to the browser to search vs typing and having a real bookmark manager on the ipad. The ipad screen blows away the playbook with resolution and more importantly tactile feel. I constantly have to press the playbook multiple times versus the ipads.

I prefer the playbook interface and size but it's lack of apps and poor browser hurt it. I use the playbook more in spite of its inferiority mainly for its size.
    06-02-12 09:54 PM
    Google would have been better at comparing than Crackberry. Its clearly going to be bias since this is a blackberry loving website. If you ask at iMore most people would tell you more about the iPad. If you ask here it'll mostly be why the playbook is better.
    06-02-12 10:42 PM
    Try sharing stuff on a Playbook, Try emailing a picture or better try emailing 2 pictures using playbook, try searching for a file or picture using the playbook, try accessing file on your pc from a playbook, there is so much the playbook cant do that you can do on an iPad or Android tablet.

Seriously the playbook is very limited compared to anything out there, i like my playbook a lot but there is no way it even comes close to the advancements that Android and IOS has.

At the moment i would say the playbook is a toy and a very beta one at that.

Call me negative or a Troll i dont care.......

are you joking?

you can do all of this VERY EASILY... calling the PB a toy is an absolute joke, especially when comparing it to the ipad which IS actually a toy in the vast majority of uses.

I can access ANYTHING that is on my playbook using FREE apps, or the web browser. I can access ANYTHING through my computer by using the playbook as a wifi drive. How is that NOT easy?

you CANNOT access files/folders on the ipad without apps... so how is the same thing a NEGATIVE for the PB? (even though you CAN do it without third party apps)
    06-03-12 12:29 AM
    are you joking?

you can do all of this VERY EASILY... calling the PB a toy is an absolute joke, especially when comparing it to the ipad which IS actually a toy in the vast majority of uses.

I can access ANYTHING that is on my playbook using FREE apps, or the web browser. I can access ANYTHING through my computer by using the playbook as a wifi drive. How is that NOT easy?

you CANNOT access files/folders on the ipad without apps... so how is the same thing a NEGATIVE for the PB? (even though you CAN do it without third party apps)

Now imagine you have thousands of pictures organized in folders, by dates, tags, location, etc. Now try attaching two pictures to an email that may have the same tag but are not necessarily close to each other in the file manager list.

This can indeed be EASILY done in Android or iOS (see post # 19). Try doing the same on the Playbook and you'll probably be sending your email some other day.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-03-12 at 12:53 AM.
    06-03-12 12:48 AM
    www.gmail.com

use that. ive done it dozens of times.

also, its not an app...

next point?
    06-03-12 12:55 AM
    www.gmail.com

use that. ive done it dozens of times.

also, its not an app...

next point?
    offline pics/files on google
    06-03-12 12:57 AM
    what?

im suggesting that you use the desktop version of gmail to email pictures like you would on your computer.

i dont know what you are saying

EDIT: the desktop OPTION through the PB browser
    Last edited by FSeverino; 06-03-12 at 01:02 AM.
    06-03-12 12:59 AM
    what?

im suggesting that you use the desktop version of gmail to email pictures like you would on your computer.

i dont know what you are saying
    you definitely don't. organized by tags, location, etc. not just folders.
    06-03-12 01:01 AM
    you definitely don't. organized by tags, location, etc. not just folders.
    why would you need to organize pictures in dozens of categories?

Take pictures, put them in a folder based on the date/location... DONE

can you not remember what pictures you take?

im sorry, im not trying to be mean or make the playbook anything it isnt... but there is NO NEED to do some of the things that you are DEMANDING. you WANT to do that, i understand... but saying that the playbook isnt a good tablet because it isnt a picture organizer is a pretty lame excuse, especially when your original argument was that you couldnt send two pictures in the same email and now you have switched focus.

Im just trying to understand where you are coming from... i thought the issue was not being able to send multiple attachements or something, which i have never had a problem with. If the issue is not being able to put 10 categories on every picture then i think that is a weaker argument then the first.

I have over 5 000 pictures on my computer and they are all just in folders. I have folders inside of folders to further the organization. I dont understand the reason for having all these categories that you want, can you explain that?
    06-03-12 01:11 AM
    why would you need to organize pictures in dozens of categories?

Take pictures, put them in a folder based on the date/location... DONE

can you not remember what pictures you take?

im sorry, im not trying to be mean or make the playbook anything it isnt... but there is NO NEED to do some of the things that you are DEMANDING. you WANT to do that, i understand... but saying that the playbook isnt a good tablet because it isnt a picture organizer is a pretty lame excuse, especially when your original argument was that you couldnt send two pictures in the same email and now you have switched focus.

Im just trying to understand where you are coming from... i thought the issue was not being able to send multiple attachements or something, which i have never had a problem with. If the issue is not being able to put 10 categories on every picture then i think that is a weaker argument then the first.

I have over 5 000 pictures on my computer and they are all just in folders. I have folders inside of folders to further the organization. I dont understand the reason for having all these categories that you want, can you explain that?
    First, it wasn't my argument. Yes, it indeed is possible to attach multiple files to an email, and the person who made this comment wasn't entirely right.

Second, I pointed out that it may not be VERY EASY to attach two photos as you claimed.

Third, will organizing all your photos into location and date folders also be VERY EASY

Also note, when you attach files on the playbook, there is no way to sort your files with prespecified criteria. So you will have to go to Google and attach files from folders that you have to organize beforehand and probably jump from a folder to a folder to attach more than one file. VERY EASY.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-03-12 at 01:24 AM.
    06-03-12 01:15 AM
    First, it wasn't my argument.

Second, I pointed out that it may not be VERY EASY to attach two photos as you claimed.

Third, will organizing all your photos into location and date folders also be VERY EASY?
    ok, maybe this is being lost through not being able to tell your tone...

(i understand it wasnt your argument, but you did change the direction and that is what i meant)

it IS VERY EASY to attach two photos... it is JUST as easy a on your desktop

as for organizing the photos by location and date, it IS VERY EASY. you can do it on your computer before you put the picture on your playbook/ipad or if you are taking the pictures on the pb/ipad, something that i do, is make a folder at the end of the day and just select all the pictures from that day and put it in there. If there are further organizations needed then you use subfolfers. For example, if its a day at the cottage I can create a folder for the day... inside it will be all the photos and then a subfolder with 'beach' pictures. DONE. that is VERY EASY...
    06-03-12 01:24 AM
    ok, maybe this is being lost through not being able to tell your tone...

(i understand it wasnt your argument, but you did change the direction and that is what i meant)

it IS VERY EASY to attach two photos... it is JUST as easy a on your desktop

as for organizing the photos by location and date, it IS VERY EASY. you can do it on your computer before you put the picture on your playbook/ipad or if you are taking the pictures on the pb/ipad, something that i do, is make a folder at the end of the day and just select all the pictures from that day and put it in there. If there are further organizations needed then you use subfolfers. For example, if its a day at the cottage I can create a folder for the day... inside it will be all the photos and then a subfolder with 'beach' pictures. DONE. that is VERY EASY...
    I don't have that ease of navigating the filesystem on the Playbook as I do on a PC (no mouse, small screen).

How exactly do you organize locations and dates into folders? What if you visit the same location on different dates/months. Or you visit two locations on the same day?

You see where I am coming from?

Unfortunately, the sorting feature in the Playbook File Manager is non-existent. The gist of what I am trying to say is that it is much easier to send pictures from within a gallery app (pictures sorted as you saw fit) than doing all that mambo jambo with folder creation and using Gmail instead of your native email app.

Also note that it's not just emailing pics, but sharing them as well (see post #19 for an example).
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-03-12 at 01:39 AM.
    06-03-12 01:30 AM
126 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD