I've had a playbook for 6months now.... I don't have a blackberry phone....don't need one... i have a cell phone....JUST a cell phone...

I get tired of the, which is better ipad or playbook. I went to an apple store to mess around with the ipad. MEH! (my daughter says that all the time, never knew what it meant, but i think its says what i thought of the ipad)

So heres my problem or question or whatever. Can some one tell me What Ipad can do that the playbook can't? I don't want to hear "well the ipad has a 10" screen or it comes in two colours". All I want to know is what can it do that playbook can't and what I suspect I will hear is that playbook can do everything that an ipad can do.

But an ipad can't do everything a playbook can do.

I don't know enough about the ipad to unequivocally make that statement but i think it may be true.
    06-01-12 09:34 AM
    The PlayBook is missing Skype and Netflix. Not a concern for me, but seems to be important to others.
    06-01-12 09:38 AM
    It can empty your wallet faster.
    06-01-12 09:42 AM
    It can empty your wallet faster.
    Indeed, the iPad drains one's wallet faster right out of the box.

EDIT: The virtual keyboard on the PlayBook is a lot more useful. For example, the password layout takes care of almost all the symbols that I need in my passwords. On the iPad, you have to alternate and shift like crazy between letters and symbols. In addition, the shift key on the iPad doesn't change the case of the letters: they all show as upper case. Whereas on the PlayBook, you can see on the keys themselves whether or not you're typing upper or lower case.

It's much easier to walk around with the PlayBook than an iPad.

Presentation mode on the PlayBook is one of the killer features that no iFan wants to admit.

WiFi file sharing on the PlayBook is just great.

As mentioned a million times on CB, no Skype and no Netflix on the PlayBook is a deal breaker for some. But I need neither.

iAnnotate on iPad is unmatched, if you're into annotating PDF.

AirPlay on iPad is also unmatched by anything on the PlayBook, if you need that.

But for everything else, PlayBook is not lacking in anyway. Besides, the true multitasking capability really smokes the iPad "multitasking". For example, if you have an ssh connection open on the iPad, if you press the home button, poof! connection lost. Where as on the PlayBook, you can swipe between applications to your heart's content and the connection is still there. For me, lack of multitasking on the iPad is the deal breaker. I only use an iPad for testing at work.
    Last edited by polytope; 06-01-12 at 09:53 AM.
    06-01-12 09:43 AM
    It has lots and lots of apps and it has adoption momentum.
    06-01-12 09:46 AM
    Try sharing stuff on a Playbook, Try emailing a picture or better try emailing 2 pictures using playbook, try searching for a file or picture using the playbook, try accessing file on your pc from a playbook, there is so much the playbook cant do that you can do on an iPad or Android tablet.

Seriously the playbook is very limited compared to anything out there, i like my playbook a lot but there is no way it even comes close to the advancements that Android and IOS has.

At the moment i would say the playbook is a toy and a very beta one at that.

Call me negative or a Troll i dont care.......
    brianatbb likes this.
    06-01-12 09:46 AM
    Just the apps really. It has tons more apps. If you're satisfied with the apps you got on your PB though, then you're not missing out on anything. Not that the PB has a terrible selection of apps or anything, it definitely has many that will help you utilize your tablet better, its just apple has more apps on their ecosystem, some that can't be found on the PB yet.

Check out their app store to see if there's anything you'd like that isn't available for the Playbook: Apple (Canada)

The PB also beats the ipad in several other areas like web browsing, and flash support, among many other things. The ipad has some advantages too, of course.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-01-12 09:49 AM
    Try sharing stuff on a Playbook, Try emailing a picture or better try emailing 2 pictures using playbook, try searching for a file or picture using the playbook, try accessing file on your pc from a playbook, there is so much the playbook cant do that you can do on an iPad or Android tablet.

Seriously the playbook is very limited compared to anything out there, i like my playbook a lot but there is no way it even comes close to the advancements that Android and IOS has.

Lol its weird because I have done all of that in the past (some things daily). Why can I do this and you still can't figure it out? I know Ios is for people that aren't tech inclined (for the most part), but put some effort into it... The PB is much more versatile if you just know how to use it.
    06-01-12 09:51 AM
    Ipad can't run flash websites, Ipad can't fit in your pocket, two off the top of my head. Funny I have my Playbook and an Ipad in my house. I don't even bother to look at it.

Ok, it can't connect to your HDTV through the HDMI port, can't multitask like the Playbook, can't connect to your phone without a tethering data plan.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 06-01-12 at 10:02 AM.
    06-01-12 09:55 AM
    There is an ipad and and ipad 2 in my house. Neither ever gets used. My reformed Applephile wife throws rocks at them. Neither consistent can keep wifi signal... and thus they are basically useless bricks. She surfs on her little iphone 4 instead of the ipads because they are so infuriating.

When the ipad 3 came out the applephile wife stated clearly that she had no desire to waste the money on it.
    06-01-12 10:00 AM
    An ipad 1GB 1 month data plan is over �10 per month here.

I bridge my PB with my Bold (when not near wifi) and use the rest of the data I wouldn't usually use with my Bold over the month.

�120 per year saving cha ching !
    06-01-12 10:02 AM
    and what is this crap about not being able to email pictures or share files from a playbook? emailing photos from the playbook is simple as it can be. for crying out loud there is a button for it.

Son the fact that you don't know how to make a product do X... does not mean the product isn't capable... and it doesn't even mean X isn't easy to do on the product.
    06-01-12 10:06 AM
    An ipad 1GB 1 month data plan is over �10 per month here.

I bridge my PB with my Bold (when not near wifi) and use the rest of the data I wouldn't usually use with my Bold over the month.

�120 per year saving cha ching !
    Yes, the most salient feature of the PlayBook, that one feature that nobody has or will ever get, the one feature the also rans wished they had, that the naysayers conspicuously, and with malevolence, leave out of their bitter diatribes when talking smack about the PlayBook....B R I D G E!!!

Going through life without ever hearing the sweet sound of the opening and closing of a cash register flush with moola is no way to live.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 06-01-12 at 03:24 PM.
    06-01-12 10:07 AM
    Oh, and before I forget, that is one cool fictional tale, bro'.

Since you don't care, yes, you are the negative one.
    I wish I knew what the H-E-double hockey sticks he's talking about.
    I just used my PB to send an email that had 4 jpgs, a doc and a mp3 file. It all sent easy and was received.
    Even the limited PB file manager has a file search feature that will easily locate files by name for you. If that's not good enough then use Files & Folders.
    There are plenty of apps for accessing files on a PC from PB. Perhaps that's cheating - do iPads and Android Tabs not use apps?
    Last edited by pmccartney; 06-01-12 at 10:17 AM.
    bungaboy and antonnin like this.
    06-01-12 10:14 AM
    I've had a playbook for 6months now.... I don't have a blackberry phone....don't need one... i have a cell phone....JUST a cell phone...

I get tired of the, which is better ipad or playbook. I went to an apple store to mess around with the ipad. MEH! (my daughter says that all the time, never knew what it meant, but i think its says what i thought of the ipad)

So heres my problem or question or whatever. Can some one tell me What Ipad can do that the playbook can't? I don't want to hear "well the ipad has a 10" screen or it comes in two colours". All I want to know is what can it do that playbook can't and what I suspect I will hear is that playbook can do everything that an ipad can do.

I don't know enough about the ipad to unequivocally make that statement but i think it may be true.

I don't own an iPad, but from what I know, as with any platform/device, the iPad will have something that is better or exclusive than on a different platform/device. For example:
    - Background services/notifications (a basic feature that all modern platforms have, but only PBOS lacks)
    - Tons of apps (including specialized productivity apps) that the PB can only dream of. For example, a functional Adobe Reader, Photoshop, Skype, etc.
    - 4G/3G in case you can spare money on fast connectivity.
    - Exclusive features such as iCloud, iMeesage (Apple version of BBM), AirPlay.
    - Much better back camera, much more powerful CPU/GPU, and, of course, the beautiful display with the resolution 5 times the PB's.

These are just a few things. I can give you many more things that Android can do that the PB can't as I am more familiar with Android.

But the point is, there will always be something that other devices can do, your device can't. You just need to find the one that meets your particular needs.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-01-12 at 10:58 AM.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    06-01-12 10:56 AM

Back in October last year, RIM sent out a survey asking users which features they would like to see in a Playbook. Here's a sampling from that survey of things that the iPad can already do.

Netflix application, or Browser support for Netflix streaming
    Cross-platform Video Chat (i.e. Skype or custom app for other platforms)
    Browser bookmark management (folders and sorting)
    On-page text search in Browser
    Universal search (search web, your apps, your messages, & settings, all from one place)
    Print FROM the PlayBook to a printer
    Cloud storage provided by RIM (in iPad's case, iCloud)
    Additional language support for the UI
    Native Twitter integration
    BlackBerry Protect for locking and locating your PlayBook remotely
    An application to purchase or rent movies and TV shows
    3G / 4G connectivity

You could add a lot more to this list, but for now this is listing what RIM itself is considering as roadmap features.
    06-01-12 11:33 AM
    I don't own an iPad, but from what I know, as with any platform/device, the iPad will have something that is better or exclusive than on a different platform/device. For example:
    - Background services/notifications (a basic feature that all modern platforms have, but only PBOS lacks)
    - Tons of apps (including specialized productivity apps) that the PB can only dream of. For example, a functional Adobe Reader, Photoshop, Skype, etc.
    - 4G/3G in case you can spare money on fast connectivity.
    - Exclusive features such as iCloud, iMeesage (Apple version of BBM), AirPlay.
    - Much better back camera, much more powerful CPU/GPU, and, of course, the beautiful display with the resolution 5 times the PB's.

These are just a few things. I can give you many more things that Android can do that the PB can't as I am more familiar with Android.

But the point is, there will always be something that other devices can do, your device can't. You just need to find the one that meets your particular needs.
    On the business application front, Microsoft Office is coming to iOS and Android later this year. http://mashable.com/2012/05/23/office-ios-android/
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-01-12 11:36 AM
    On the business application front, Microsoft Office is coming to iOS and Android later this year. http://mashable.com/2012/05/23/office-ios-android/
    Wow, great to know that. Windows 8 will have Office as well (free).

By the way, expect something like "I don't want no stinkin' MS Office fart/toy app" thrown around on this forum

But seriously, I really hope that BB10 gets the momentum it needs to become a player in the market so that we can enjoy at least half the love from developers that other platforms do.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-01-12 at 01:24 PM.
    06-01-12 11:41 AM
    and what is this crap about not being able to email pictures or share files from a playbook? emailing photos from the playbook is simple as it can be. for crying out loud there is a button for it.

Son the fact that you don't know how to make a product do X... does not mean the product isn't capable... and it doesn't even mean X isn't easy to do on the product.
    I believe you are missing the point. I think Backdaws meant emailing/sharing (bluetooth, FB, Twitter, Picasa, etc) pictures from within the Gallery app. Which the Playbook canNOT do.

E.g.:

PS. And no, there is no universal search on the PB (not to mention voice search) regardless of what some here claimed.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-01-12 at 12:22 PM.
    06-01-12 11:52 AM

This is just SO flawed! It's very easy to send multiple pictures, go to the email app and use the attach icon, select multiple pictures, VERY easy. I couldn't get it done on my itouch had to upload the pictures to my PC and then mail them. I wouldn't call you a troll, I would just call you mistaken!
    06-01-12 12:34 PM
    Oh dear it seems some Blackberry Playbook users are in denial.

Like i said before i like my playbook but if you think for one minute its anywhere near as good as an Android tablet or iPad you are sadly mistaken.

i can tell you now for free now listen closely and remember where you heard it-

Once Google releases this Quadcore ICS tablet with all the bells and whistles for around �180 (my playbook cost �170) then its game over for the Playbook.

i dont want you to agree with me i just want you to stop bragging about features that are just sub par. i mean ffs there is a whole thread on how great the email client is now because you can type email in vertical, that has got to be the most cringe inducing brag ever.

And Thanks Kenny yes you did understand my point
    Your ICS Tablet so we can say farewell and goodluck.

C
    06-01-12 12:39 PM
    This is just SO flawed! It's very easy to send multiple pictures, go to the email app and use the attach icon, select multiple pictures, VERY easy. I couldn't get it done on my itouch had to upload the pictures to my PC and then mail them. I wouldn't call you a troll, I would just call you mistaken!
    or i could also print off the pictures yeah, put them in an envelope marked do not bend, slap on a couple of stamps and hey presto i could get them delivered in a couple of days, even next day if i spend a bit of cash.

ive been so silly havent i.

this my friend is the 21st Century and not 1990's im not messing about with email to share pics or chat with someone........you people are very frustrating.
    06-01-12 12:39 PM
    Ok enough with the insults and trolling!!!!! Consider yourselves warned!
    Harryl6134 and Hamp like this.
    06-01-12 12:41 PM
    Ok enough with the insults and trolling!!!!! Consider yourselves warned!
    They never listen until we go back to traditional methods of moderation. A few high profile bannings on a Friday always generates a quiet weekend. Looks like the first head has already rolled... and there's plenty more space in the Trollhouse
    Harryl6134, Hamp and homer1475 like this.
    06-01-12 02:01 PM
    Can't access files from a desktop (PC ?) ... wow, this one is unique

Method 1 : Wifi via IP (can be mounted and stored as a drive permanently)
    Method 2 (PC) : USB Network Share (device manager do it by itself : no params, no nothing)
    Method 3 : Desktop Manager; latest version even give a simple drag and drop interface.
    Oh, and of course you can secure (or not, if you're from the "enough" band) all of these.

Euh ... les bras m'en tombent. (it's in French but not rude, mods ! )
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-01-12 at 02:23 PM.
    06-01-12 02:11 PM
126 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD