View Poll Results: So am I crazy to buy a Playbook at this stage?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely!

47 42.34%
  • No, it's still very useful.

64 57.66%
    No you're not if you know what you need it for. And sounds like you do.

Post via CB Z10
    08-19-13 03:31 PM
    [QUOTE=bambinoitaliano;9035644]
    You mad?
    Thank you for asking, yes I am as it happens!
    08-19-13 03:40 PM
    [QUOTE=sad_old_man;9036110]

Thank you for asking, yes I am as it happens!
    Care to elaborate your madness?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-19-13 04:05 PM
    Looks like I am attempting to close the barn door after the horse has fled, but anyway...

Former PlayBook owner who has had the 2013 Nexus 7 for about 2 weeks.

You mention watching videos. The Nexus 7 lets you watch true HD video (1920x1080) on the 1920x1200 display. The display is absolutely fantastic. I have taken to watching 1080p Netflix on it while lying on the couch across from a largish 1080p television with a retina iPad sitting on the coffee table.

It is also extremely responsive and has excellent build quality. The fact that this thing goes for $230 in Canada is an incredible deal.

The downsides in your case are that it would be $70 more than the PlayBook you are looking at and would have less storage. Neither of these reasons should be, in my opinion, enough to saddle yourself with a PlayBook.

Here are a few reviews. The 2013 model has been out for about a month now. Common criticisms are the relatively few tablet optimised apps (although still orders of magnitude better than the playbook) compared to the iPad and the largish top and bottom bezels. Every one praises the display and the performance.

" Cheaper than most, better than all: the 2013 Nexus 7 reviewed"
    Cheaper than most, better than all: the 2013 Nexus 7 reviewed | Ars Technica

Google Nexus 7 review (2013) | The Verge
    (9.0, which they don't give easily)

Still the Best Android Tablet | Product Reviews | Wired.com
    (9/10 = "nearly flawless. Buy it now".)

The difference between the PlayBook and the 2013 Nexus 7 is darkest midnight to brightest day. I am no Android fanboy. This is the first and only Android product I have ever bought. The new Nexus 7 is just a damn good tablet. I am thinking perhaps better, all things considered, than my retina iPad (which, by the way, I really like) and so far superior to the PlayBook that it is not even funny.

How long is your return window?
    JasW and brianatbb like this.
    08-19-13 07:00 PM
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. Although I have yet to receive my Playbook (my sister will mail it to me from the US once I'm back in my hometown), from all the replies here I've come to the conclusion that for now I should be fine with the Playbook; it fulfills my current needs. When I need more than that, and if I can afford it at that time, I will consider the Nexus 7.

I am looking forward to playing with the PB! I will post my feedback once I've spent some time on it.

According to some posters the sound on the PB is great... I can't wait to play music on it! I like the sound on my Q10, but it only has one speaker, so with 2 speakers placed opposite from each other I can imagine a better sound quality. Can't wait...

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-20-13 01:21 PM
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. Although I have yet to receive my Playbook (my sister will mail it to me from the US once I'm back in my hometown), from all the replies here I've come to the conclusion that for now I should be fine with the Playbook; it fulfills my current needs. When I need more than that, and if I can afford it at that time, I will consider the Nexus 7.

I am looking forward to playing with the PB! I will post my feedback once I've spent some time on it.

According to some posters the sound on the PB is great... I can't wait to play music on it! I like the sound on my Q10, but it only has one speaker, so with 2 speakers placed opposite from each other I can imagine a better sound quality. Can't wait...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, the PlayBook's speakers are alright, but the Nexus 7 went stereo this year and sound similar.

"All that (a bunch of superlatives about the display), plus a new set of speakers that are both louder than the last model and output genuine stereo sound, makes the Nexus 7 easily the best small tablet ever when it comes to watching movies."

"Another boon for video-watching, though: Stereo speakers, located at either end of the device. They�re powerful enough to fill a large room with sound, and while the clarity leaves something to be desired (they�re tablet speakers, so that�s expected), these are perfectly fine for an evening in bed watching Thor or for playing some tunes on Rdio."

" The speakers will do a fine job by themselves if you're watching a video without headphones or listening to some music in the kitchen. The iPad mini's speakers boast a similar volume level, but the sound is a bit tinnier and the Nexus boasts a bit more bass."

It is not too late to save yourself:
    https://play.google.com/store/device...ign%3Dbloglink
    08-20-13 07:14 PM
    Mine died after 2 1/2 years of daily use and I'm saving $ to buy a replacement if that tells you anything.
    08-20-13 11:05 PM
    If you don't value your privacy and aren't concerned about malware infestations then go right ahead and adopt an Android tablet.

I'll stick with my robust and secure PlayBook instead, even if is "outdated".
    08-21-13 12:36 AM
    I bought the PlayBook 32gb 4 months ago and I still love it. My advice? Go ahead with the purchase!!

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 08:15 AM
    I just bought my second one on Amazon for $154.75, with free shipping. No contract. I will use my Torch to bridge and tether it.
    It looks like you don't have a blackberry phone from your profile so it doesn't look as if it would make sense for you to have a PlayBook anyway. If you actually had a BlackBerry device, you could go either way and show the great passions of ufettered love or of boundless bile
    I own both a Bold 9930 (which is not on an active line) and a 16GB Playbook (bought in early February 2012). IMO, the Playbook is a solid device, but it doesn't have much of a future at this point in time.
    08-21-13 10:42 AM
    Question: I'm not sure if I'm wording it correctly, but what is lacking in the BB10 bridge that was there in the previous OS? I see people complaining about bridge on BB10, but it's not clear for what reason. Since I'm still waiting for my PB, I haven't had a chance to experiment with bridge on my Q10. I still have my old Bold 9780, but it's not working. The screen on that one is dead (after 2 years of use).

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 02:10 PM
    Since I love a physical keyboard, would you guys recommend this? IMAGE� Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Leather Case Cover with Stand for Blackberry Playbook 7"
    Though I have the original keyboard from BlackBerry, I rarely use it. I would read through all of those reviews and make an educated guess.
    08-21-13 06:31 PM
    Not sure if thinking about buying an electronic item makes you "crazy"

Unless you need to post about it

Anxious or attention seeking isn't in the same mental health issues league
    08-21-13 06:47 PM
    If you don't value your privacy and aren't concerned about malware infestations then go right ahead and adopt an Android tablet.

I'll stick with my robust and secure PlayBook instead, even if is "outdated".
    Privacy is largely a choice on any platform. I keep GPS/wifi locafion services off by default, don't use gmail, actually read app permission requests and don't download them if I don't like what they want to access etc. I still use the Chrome browser and Google search for web access and search but could easily avoid both if I wanted to. Duckduckgo is actually a pretty good search engine.

Re security:
    The problem with "outdated" is that security updates are delayed or not offered at all. The next browser vulnerability (assuming that your outdated browser is no already remotely exploitable) can leave your system wide open for hostile remote file access, installation of keyloggers to collect your credit card numbers etc. These vulnerabilities are found on a distressingly regular basis. Flash is also a notorious remote attack vector, by the way. If you haven't already disabled it, do it now. Even when RIM was actively patching this device, there was at least one multi week period I was are of where a remote Flash exploit was known and unpatched on the PlayBook.

Android 4.3 is actually getting pretty good re security:
    " Security gets improvements as well, Android 4.3 moves to SELinux MAC (mandatory access control) in the linux kernel. A number of other security features are changed, including fixes for vulnerabilities disclosed to partners, better application key protection, removal of setuid programs from /system, and the ability to restrict access to certain capabilities per-application. Lastly there�s a new user profiles feature that allows for finer grained control over app usage and content."

On top of that it is of course wise to stick with the default settings which only allows Google Play store apps to be installed. They scan applications for malware prior to public access. I take the extra precaution of limiting what I download to well known apps. The selection is so vast that this is not a problem.

You don't sideload do you? If so, forget about security. In addition to the obvious problem of grabbing dubious pirated conversions which could of course be modified with malware prior to packaging, even your own conversions will not receive OTA security patches. I have heard of people who install sideloaded *banking* apps found on some no name site! They blithely type in their bank account numbers, passwords, credit cards. "Hey sugar, how come all our accounts are empty and our credit cards are maxed?"
    brianatbb likes this.
    08-22-13 12:20 AM
    Security is but a fleeting moment, like armor of yesteryear.
    08-22-13 11:54 AM
    I like this thread and a little late to the comments but at this point assume you got your stuff. Interested because I am thinking about getting another PB. I have a 16G but with the blowout prices on the 64G and since I know already how good they are thinking about getting another for posterity and historical value (joke kinda). I had filled up my 16G but then realized I could just delete stuff I'm not using and add it back if I needed to through app world. The thing is, who knows how long you can do that kind of thing with an unsupported device. Plus, I never got into sideloading but would like to start. Anyway, belated yes you are crazy but then so am I.
    08-23-13 08:10 AM
    A bit late to this as I am also late to the playbook but for the prices they are being resold for I'd be daft not to. following ebay in the uk and although there are 10 pages plus of second hand units they are selling and for a reasonable price at that so the blackberry loving uk public seem to either still be interested or are very delusioned. I wanted something to fit in with what I do allready and it suffices quite nicely. if the wife's one is neglected due to lack of being able to successfully sideload candy crush then I'll happily adopt it.

I've had more luck and had less hassle buying off gumtree if anyone wants a playbook quick and cheap
    11-11-13 03:46 AM
    You're not crazy. I bought one when they price dropped for the same reason, it is still a very cool tablet in a lot of ways, it's feeling a little aged now to me personally now because of the hardware, but that might be to do with me never doing a fresh restore on the unit itself.

I will probably be using my tablet more again, now that I have a Q10. I used to bridge it with my Curve 9300 and it worked fairly good, just the curve wasn't really up to multiple tasks.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 09:05 AM
    I have 8 of dem nows iz I crazy or wot?
    BigBadWulf and axllebeer like this.
    11-11-13 09:33 AM
    Do we really need to answer that?
    axllebeer likes this.
    11-11-13 09:44 AM
    Do we really need to answer that?
    Oopss I iz gone boss!
    11-11-13 09:54 AM
    Crazy is only one of many words. At least it's a start. This thread will be a one word game that will last till the end of time.
    sad_old_man and BigBadWulf like this.
    11-11-13 11:21 AM
    Crazy is only one of many words. At least it's a start. This thread will be a one word game that will last till the end of time.
    Shuddup kats youz just tryin to gets me in trubbles you iz.

Sorry Mr Wolf thingy it waznt mees it was imz the Kat that did it!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-11-13 12:01 PM
    Shuddup kats youz just tryin to gets me in trubbles you iz.

Sorry Mr Wolf thingy it waznt mees it was imz the Kat that did it!
    That's one word. Blaming.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-11-13 12:18 PM
    That's one word. Blaming.
    Sorry Mr OP for the behaviours of the kats but he duznt now any bettered.
    11-11-13 12:39 PM
144 ... 3456