View Poll Results: So am I crazy to buy a Playbook at this stage?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely!

47 42.34%
  • No, it's still very useful.

64 57.66%
    compared to the 7 inch samsung galaxy tab 2 you can beat.. by a mile. the functionality on the android beats the playbooks by about 100000 fold... lets be honest now, for the price of a playbook (or just abit more) you can get a real tablet. with al the essentiall apps as well
    I just want steak and potatoes not all you can eat buffet.
    08-15-13 04:34 PM
    I just want steak and potatoes not all you can eat buffet.
    Steak and potatos sounds kinda defensive anyway

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 05:27 PM
    Depending on the kind of casing you get for the playbook. A dock will require your playbook naked to be charged. A rapid charger just click on much easier. Given how cheap they are now. Both were retail at $80 each not so long ago.
    Me and my wife use this "Clip Case" from Brookstone and LOVE it. I bought them specifically for using the charging stand without removing the case. It's only $14.99. Check it out...

Sorry. I tried to post the link to it but I can't get it to work. Just Google "Clip Case" at Brookstone and you'll find it.

Hoot
    08-15-13 06:37 PM
    Compass uses gps and you need to have been moving. (yes crazy but true).
    Somewhat off topic, but merits a reply. My PlayBook does not need te GPS for the magnetic compass to function. It does need to be out of its case though, then it points to magnetic north instantly. Now if I was using an app that points to true north (like a gyro compass), then I would need the GPS signal and then move around so the app can calculate a true north and then use the magnetometer for correction when the PlayBook changes orientation. I suppose the navigation apps might do this but my compass app does not.

I still think the OP made a wise purchase based on her stated requirements. I did forget to mention that she should get the (free) Origami browser to avoid frustrations with the stock browser.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 08-18-13 at 10:36 PM.
    08-15-13 08:41 PM
    You have Thor's blessing.
    Keep moving. And buying.
    08-16-13 10:53 AM
    Hi, I have just bought a 64gb PB and dont regret it one bit. All depends what you want it for (apps then forget it), as a media player, browser, email and if you bridge with BB phone also get bbm. So I would sayyes go for it. Have look on ebay.co.uk as they are a lot cheaper than in the US, got mine for �67 (approx $104) not sure what p&p would be. Good luck.
    08-17-13 05:45 AM
    I voted for the "yes, crazy" option, but the answer depends on the price. If you can buy it new off-contract for $100 or less, then it is a worthwhile purchase, otherwise it costs too much.
    08-17-13 06:45 AM
    I voted for the "yes, crazy" option, but the answer depends on the price. If you can buy it new off-contract for $100 or less, then it is a worthwhile purchase, otherwise it costs too much.
    I just bought my second one on Amazon for $154.75, with free shipping. No contract. I will use my Torch to bridge and tether it.
    It looks like you don't have a blackberry phone from your profile so it doesn't look as if it would make sense for you to have a PlayBook anyway. If you actually had a BlackBerry device, you could go either way and show the great passions of ufettered love or of boundless bile
    08-17-13 11:40 PM
    Hi, I have just bought a 64gb PB and dont regret it one bit. All depends what you want it for (apps then forget it), as a media player, browser, email and if you bridge with BB phone also get bbm. So I would sayyes go for it. Have look on ebay.co.uk as they are a lot cheaper than in the US, got mine for �67 (approx $104) not sure what p&p would be. Good luck.
    Good luck if it goes wrong. Blackberry warranty is useless in UK and repair shops non existent.
    08-18-13 02:01 AM
    thanks for putting a downer on it...
    08-18-13 02:33 AM
    A product whose future upgrade life has ended is not a good investment.
    None of these electronic toys are an investment. They all have a shorter lifespan than a $20 toaster.
    Get what works for you today not what you think you'll want in the future.
    Last edited by Angus_CB; 08-18-13 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
    08-18-13 06:18 AM
    like you say these things have a short shelf life, allways a newer modle.
    08-18-13 06:20 AM
    And all kidding aside, I will never buy another Blackberry on the principle they knowingly misled the public. Buyers, and investors, beware.
    Some took this post way too seriously.
    There are two points to ponder here. Would you not buy a Playbook because;
    1. There are better sub $200 tablets
    2. BlackBerry lied to existing and potential customers.

For me, the Playbook is still a quality tablet that is great for surfing the web and watching videos. I have two and don't regret buying them. It wasn't until the last year or so that there was any reasonable 7" alternative tablet. Even now the only other 7" tablet I would buy, based on hardware, is the new generation Nexus 7.

That being said, I don't blame any BlackBerry owner for feeling lied to and telling BlackBerry how they feel by not buying another BlackBerry product.
    08-18-13 07:19 AM
    None of these electronic toys are an investment. They all have a shorter lifespan than a $20 toaster.
    Get what works for you today not what you think you'll want in the future.
    Mostly true for a product starting its life.
    But a product whose update life has already ended is NOT a good investment.
    There is no way you can talk your way out of that.
    08-18-13 08:53 AM
    Mostly true for a product starting its life.
    But a product whose update life has already ended is NOT a good investment.
    There is no way you can talk your way out of that.
    Like I said above, none of these devices are an investment let alone a good investment.
    There are two ways of looking at this and it depends on what you intend to use the tablet for.
    If all you want is a way to get on the Internet, listen to music and watch videos then nothing at $160.00 beats the 64GB Playbook today.
    It does these things very well albeit using 3rd party software. An OS update isn't going to add much to these activities.
    If your main concern is, can the OS be updated, then an Android tablet is your best bet. Expect to pay about $100.00 more, and still not have 64GB of storage, for a 16GB device with a 32GB SD card.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    08-18-13 09:33 AM
    I found both the dock and the cord in a package for $20.54!
    Sweet Deal!!!

Posted via my bad azzzz "Z"
    08-18-13 10:56 AM
    i cant find a reason y would ppl get this over a nexus 7, and im talking about the old one since its goin for around 130, which is the similar price as PB
    08-19-13 11:31 AM
    i cant find a reason y would ppl get this over a nexus 7, and im talking about the old one since its goin for around 130, which is the similar price as PB
    Have both. The PB has HDMI, rear camera and better speakers for a couple of things. The 2012 N7 has perhaps a little better screen, OTG enabled using Nexus Media Importer, can be rooted, has easy access to Google Play Store (Google is watching you) and OS upgrades. It is also a couple of ounces lighter but don't bounce it too hard because something may come loose. Battery life is about the same on both. The PB has the convenience of the available Pogo pin chargers while the Pogo pin charger dock for the N7 has seen limited use and has apparently been discontinued. Android 4.3 is not your grandfather's Android but it is hard for some of us to get used to another system after using the card and swipe system on the PB.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-19-13 01:04 PM
    [QUOTE=bambinoitaliano;9002527]

Off topic but my cat thinks you cat is very cute! Maybe . . . . .
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-19-13 01:11 PM
    [QUOTE=greggebhardt;9035434]

Off topic but my cat thinks you cat is very cute! Maybe . . . . .
    Awww..schucks.....darn.........
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-19-13 01:34 PM
    [QUOTE=bambinoitaliano;9035541]
    Awww..schucks.....darn.........
    Two timing little further bag!
    08-19-13 01:44 PM
    [QUOTE=sad_old_man;9035579]

Two timing little further bag!
    You mad?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-19-13 01:58 PM
    Can I sell you my Enron stock?
    08-19-13 02:31 PM
    Me and my wife use this "Clip Case" from Brookstone and LOVE it. I bought them specifically for using the charging stand without removing the case. It's only $14.99. Check it out...

Sorry. I tried to post the link to it but I can't get it to work. Just Google "Clip Case" at Brookstone and you'll find it.

Hoot
    Can I Google Brookstone too?
    08-19-13 02:53 PM
    Can I sell you my Enron stock?
    In exchange for my Nortel shares for sure!!
    08-19-13 02:54 PM
144 ... 23456