View Poll Results: So am I crazy to buy a Playbook at this stage?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely!

47 42.34%
  • No, it's still very useful.

64 57.66%
    Cheap, but very good built device. Good for books, internet, music and some videos. Not so good gps navigation (lack of apps).
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-14-13 07:19 AM
    Yes your are!
    08-14-13 07:40 AM
    So let's see what we have so far: 40 people are crazy, 21 are sane.

If I suggested to someone that they buy a PlayBook, I would feel complicit in a fraudulent scheme.
    08-14-13 07:49 AM
    The PlayBook is still a functional tablet that performs better than a lot of Android tablets i've used.
    Doubtful, unless you're talking about the line of cheap Chinese Coby tablets you can buy at Walgreens for $79 ro so.

The OP would undoubtedly be vastly better served by picking up the next gen Nexus 7 for $239. Anybody who suggests that the PlayBook is somehow better, even if it can be had a bit more cheaply, is certifiable.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-14-13 07:54 AM
    I had thought about a stylus for tapping small links or tick/check boxes but decided against it as I would have this loose item that would get lost easily and a quick pinch zoom makes those small items big enough for my fat fingers.

I got the PlayBook's BlueTooth keyboard fairly early on and really appreciate it since I get to see the whole screen. The only tradeoff is that with the keyboard, I don't get the type ahead word suggestions I can select or the spelling suggestions. Also with the BlueTooth keyboard, I can hook up the PB to the TV via HDMI, leave it there, and control watching videos, slide shows, streamed shows / movies / clips using the keyboard and mouse pad from my chair.

Overall, the OP has made a great choice based on her stated needs.

If using a compass app and you notice north pointing in some other direction than north, it may be a problem with the case. I have to take my PB out of its case to get the compass to point in the right direction.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-14-13 08:07 AM
    You are not crazy... you are just misinformed... PlayBook is dead... not functionality dead but improvement dead... it is like a boat floating in the sea without any support or lifesaver or whatsoever... and the only direction it has, is thru the bottom of the sea... BlackBerry already punch a hole on it... and nobody can save it...

If that is OK with you... then go and buy one... like the boat I was saying, you can still sail and enjoy it while it is still floating...

Posted via Z10
    jarviser and SavvyBB like this.
    08-14-13 08:58 AM
    I just bought a second user PB 64Gb (UK) for �50 Gbp, I've used Ipads, nexus 7 and Kindle HD before, the BBPB compares quite well with those, Ipad and Nexus are a different machine but are also a lot more expensive to buy, crack a screen on a nexus and you may as well just throw it in the bin !! The PB is a really nice bit of kit, very functinal and lots of .bar apps avaialble, why build more functionality into it if your happy with what you have ? It does everything the other do upto now, the only down side for me is the fiddly usb charge port, I can see how easily they can become damaged, I have ordered a magnetic fast charger to prevent damage, the wifi exchanges files so quick and easy with my net worked PC, or straight from a down load off the net, the recently developed side loading app manager browser, makes installation a breeze... have you done the righ thing..... Yes you have
    SavvyBB and KittyBomb like this.
    08-14-13 10:20 AM
    Wow, one playbook purchase can sure rile up the natives.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I own several and use them everyday.
    08-14-13 11:15 AM
    I had thought about a stylus for tapping small links or tick/check boxes but decided against it as I would have this loose item that would get lost easily and a quick pinch zoom makes those small items big enough for my fat fingers.

I got the PlayBook's BlueTooth keyboard fairly early on and really appreciate it since I get to see the whole screen. The only tradeoff is that with the keyboard, I don't get the type ahead word suggestions I can select or the spelling suggestions. Also with the BlueTooth keyboard, I can hook up the PB to the TV via HDMI, leave it there, and control watching videos, slide shows, streamed shows / movies / clips using the keyboard and mouse pad from my chair.

Overall, the OP has made a great choice based on her stated needs.

If using a compass app and you notice north pointing in some other direction than north, it may be a problem with the case. I have to take my PB out of its case to get the compass to point in the right direction.
    Compass uses gps and you need to have been moving. (yes crazy but true)

I just wait for the disappointment.
    Like Photo frame yes good idea, oops 5 minutes maximum. Need photo frame pro. Oops doesn't work if you have more than 7000 images.
    Skype - wot no skype?
    Yes get a rapid charger or your usb made of cheese will disintegrate.
    Here in UK BBC iplayer just downgraded us to Android without flash - need Origami now to stream iplayer.

Sooo sorry I didn't get here in time to add my advice to go new nexus 7 for the same money, but too late. I use mine every day too but feel a fool for getting one.
    08-14-13 11:33 AM
    I love my playbook and am thinking of getting a. Second one.
    And I charge it with the stand and love it.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-14-13 11:36 AM
    I use mine to connect it to my tv to stream shows and sports via the hdmi cable. Have had it for 3 years and its doing something that my iPad and Galaxy tab cant do due to the lack of flash capabilities.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-14-13 11:38 AM

I'm sure that they make dandy coasters! Just kidding - multiple and used everyday. Although, I will admit one was hooked to the TV last night and I was checking out actors and shows on the other!
    08-14-13 11:39 AM
    I wouldn't. Issues are still present and the thing is no longer supported

Your money would be better spent elsewhere

Ps I have owned one since it launched.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 11:41 AM
    It works OK for somethings. If surfing is one of your main uses it will drive you a wall sometimes or it does me anyway.
    08-14-13 11:51 AM
    I have 2 of them! Great for alarm clocks. one in my ensuite and one in another bathroom...
    Are they fast....hmmm, mediocre.....
    But asking a die hard blackberry site, well you know the answer you'd get. Did you think someone would actually tell you buy an iPad?
    Guess depends on what is going to suit your needs. If PB does that, then you have a great option.
    08-14-13 12:09 PM

Let's distract them! There's no Miracast on Z10!!! Now go fetch!!!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-14-13 08:35 PM
    ^^"Due to internal hardware limitations"... sounds familiar, isn't it?... it is not a distraction or diversion... it is a reminder...

Posted via Z10
    08-15-13 12:31 AM
    Playbook with OS 10 would be great choice, but unfortunately we stuck at OS2.1.
    Yes you are
    08-15-13 12:35 AM
    I still use mine daily and last week then local staples had playbook accessories on sale, I got tons of accessories for under $10.

Great tablet, works well and for the price you can't beat it.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 01:14 AM
    I have 2 of them! Great for alarm clocks. one in my ensuite and one in another bathroom...
    Are they fast....hmmm, mediocre.....
    But asking a die hard blackberry site, well you know the answer you'd get. Did you think someone would actually tell you buy an iPad?
    Guess depends on what is going to suit your needs. If PB does that, then you have a great option.
    Not iPad's, Nexus 7's! Ask about an iPad on iMore 100%. Ask about a major Android device on Android Central 100%. Ask about a Playbook on Crackberry...65%. This would have to be the least biased fan site in the world. Even WebOS nation will still give you a 100% response on the HP Touchpad.

Update...now it's 59% and dropping.
    Last edited by Chaplain_Clancy; 08-15-13 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Updated information
    08-15-13 01:17 AM
    For what you say you'll use it for it will suffice, and if BB ever get bridge working for your Q10 then it will become very usefull. But considering its current limitations and lack of support I'd put its value at about $80.
    08-15-13 01:59 AM
    You can have mine. Since its not getting BB10 its basically a brick. Can't psrtner up with my Q10 so I'm waiting for the Z30 Aristo. Games, videos, , reading better on large screen. Also have to see what is happening re BB possibly going private will mean.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using CB Forums mobile app
    08-15-13 02:17 AM
    Hi Savvy,

I definitely say go for it. I got my 64GB on a Groupon deal for $200 during black Friday last year. I got it as a laptop alternative for school. I just needed email, browsing and word processing and works good for that.

But having music and videos and games too makes it even sweeter. Anything else I need to do I'd just go to my desktop.

No need for the LTE version. I have 3 connection options. 1. I can pull Internet through my Q10's bluetooth (no extra charges) 2. Tethering through my carrier(T-Mobile) 3. Set my Phone as a wi-fi hot spot

I can view and share files that are on my Q10 on my playbook through the Bluetooth

Use my phone screen and keyboard to control the PB through BB Bridge if I didn't already have a BT keyboard

I can sideload some android apps onto my PB. My favorite thing is to play Super Nintendo games when I'm really bored lol

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 12:23 PM
    PlayBook is useful for something things...

Browsing on a regular basis is not one of those.
    Working with documents on the small screen and with the PlayBook's keyboard in not one of those.

The PlayBook is not a Laptop replacement, and it doesn't come close to the capabilities of newer more robust devices and the ecosystems that support them. That said, in it's limited way and for the price it is a good bargain.
    08-15-13 01:21 PM
    Your NOT crazy! Hell yes, buy a PlayBook. My wife got one 2-months ago and absolutely LOVES it. She's on it all the time now. Compared to other tablets you can't beat the price either.

Both of our PB's are 64GB Wi-Fi only. They work for our needs, but everyone is different. If you're around Wi-Fi most of the time like we are, then you don't really need to pay more.
    compared to the 7 inch samsung galaxy tab 2 you can beat.. by a mile. the functionality on the android beats the playbooks by about 100000 fold... lets be honest now, for the price of a playbook (or just abit more) you can get a real tablet. with al the essentiall apps as well
    08-15-13 01:45 PM
144 12345 ...