View Poll Results: So am I crazy to buy a Playbook at this stage?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely!

47 42.34%
  • No, it's still very useful.

64 57.66%
    I have the stand... and don't like it. It's sitting in the corner collecting dust.

At least with the cord, you can continue to use it while it charges and not worry about bending, twisting or pulling on the cord.
    Good point... but with the stand I could also use it as a digital photo frame, as geant39 suggested. Hmm, maybe I'll get both, lol! No, I have to watch my budget. At some point I may still get the cord. Right now I'm contemplating whether to add the physical keyboard or not. I just posted a link to it, but my post awaits approval.
    08-13-13 03:37 PM
    yes, that's crazy.
    08-13-13 03:42 PM
    What am I doing that needs approval first? I tried posting my question about the physical keyboard without adding a link, but it still needs approval... I need to know now whether I should add it to my purchase or not... How is the virtual keyboard on the Playbook? I'm more comfortable with a physical keyboard, but I'll give the virtual keyboard a try if the feedback is positive.
    08-13-13 03:47 PM
    I have the stand... and don't like it. It's sitting in the corner collecting dust.

At least with the cord, you can continue to use it while it charges and not worry about bending, twisting or pulling on the cord.
    I found both the dock and the cord in a package for $20.54!
    Cynycl likes this.
    08-13-13 03:53 PM
    re: the subject

Two separate issues!
    08-13-13 04:14 PM
    yes, listen to your husband lol
    That, too, is a separate issue - Always!
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 04:16 PM
    The wife and I have 3 wifi, 64 gig. Playbooks and use them everyday! We each have a charging stand at work and at home. You won't regret getting the stand. The only time I use the charging cord is when I travel.

You're NOT crazy! At least not in a bad way. We're "bridged" to our BB phones all day until we get home, and then it's wifi, of course.....

Have fun!
    Hoot
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 04:23 PM
    It sounds as if you are going Dock and CORD. That may be a good move. I prefer the cord as cases, if you get one, can interfere with the dock. Also, with the cord, you can use the hdmi cord to a tv whereas the dock blocks other ports.

Enjoy your pb when it arrives.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 04:24 PM
    It's done!! The order has been placed! I decided not to get the keyboard with case after reading the reviews. I suppose I should be fine with the virtual keyboard. I'll get used to it eventually, I guess. So for under $200 I got the 64GB Playbook, the rapid charger stand and cord, the leather envelope case (beautiful!), the HDMI cable and the 3-pack screenguard shield. Not bad, eh?? Now, the icing on the cake would be if hubby gets jealous once he sees how functional it is, lol!!
    FF22 and AugustArborists like this.
    08-13-13 04:38 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! I don't know what you (probably already by now) paid for your PB, but it is probably really reasonable for what you are getting. The fact that it will not get further support does not take anything away from what it is today. I have two, and still use them most days. As to the keyboard ... I have the BlackBerry Mini Keyboard, so can't speak to the one you are looking at. I will say that I thought the keyboard was great until I got my Z10, and there is nothing that can compare to it. Pairing thru BlueTooth with your Q10 is the most economical. It is fast, easy and saves you having to buy a data plan for your PB. Be sure to check out the many reviews on CrackBerry. And be prepared to love it and use it in all kinds of ways you didn't originally anticipate. It is a handy-dandy, multi-tasking little workhorse. If you haven't used it already on your Q10, be sure to use Print to Go on both. It has saved my bacon when I was in a big hurry numerous times. Most of all, enjoy your new toy. Hope it doesn't take too long to be delivered. Very soon you will wonder how you lived without it.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 04:44 PM
    I want a PlayBook so bad

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 04:51 PM
    Got a 16+32 and carry the 32 every day to work to surf the web. Neat to show it off especially since no one knows what it is nor its strengths. Picks up u-tube/videos blocked by the employers wifi or lesser tabs with no flash. Got a thin case to keep it slim and light. Q10 makes carrying it to work a bit redundant but the bigger screen is easier on the eyes. Its a shame the public did not appreciate this great little misunderstood 7" tablet. I love using the camera, video cam, print-to-go / docs-to-go and the "PRE-BB10" Hub for emails. Hope they continue to support the PB. Not sure what other 2-year old+ tablet can keep me satisfied.
    MarlenaRosie and SavvyBB like this.
    08-13-13 05:00 PM
    I got mine in December and just LOVE it. My 10" Lenovo Ideapad tablet. android with a million apps, has just been collecting dust since.

There is hardly anything I can't do on the Playbook that I used to do on my desktop computer. I just finished watching live on my Playbook, today's episode of New Tricks on BBC1 tv via tvpc.com Perfect, beautiful reception from the UK to Toronto.

The best $130 I ever spent buying my 32gb used on eBay.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 05:17 PM
    It's done!! The order has been placed! I decided not to get the keyboard with case after reading the reviews. I suppose I should be fine with the virtual keyboard. I'll get used to it eventually, I guess. So for under $200 I got the 64GB Playbook, the rapid charger stand and cord, the leather envelope case (beautiful!), the HDMI cable and the 3-pack screenguard shield. Not bad, eh?? Now, the icing on the cake would be if hubby gets jealous once he sees how functional it is, lol!!
    Congrats! Let us know how you like it.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 05:26 PM
    I have had my PlayBook for a few months now and love it. My wife and I use it for couch browsing and movies from Utube.
    I searched for an economical cover and bluetooth keyboard and found both at tmart.com. The cover is a very high quality leather one surpassing covers i have seen for $50. The keyboard will be recognized with different stickers for $80 and up. I especially like the trackpad and "gaming" keys. I dont game but they are useful for navigation. They also have free shipping!

7 Litchi Stria Tablet PC Leather Case Protective Jacket for Blackberry Playbook Black - Tmart.com
    $8

http://www.tmart.com/Handheld-Rii-Mi...e_p144072.html
    $32
    Last edited by dazzleaj; 08-13-13 at 06:17 PM.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 05:56 PM
    @Techno-Emigre, I paid $157 for the 64GB Playbook, brandnew at Amazon (US). I'm having it shipped to my sister in the US, since they don't ship it to Canada, but my dear sister doesn't mind shipping it to me once she receives everything, so that saves me shipping cost. In fact, thanks to my dear sister's Amazon giftcards over the years, I only had to pay $40 extra. Sweet!
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    08-13-13 08:10 PM
    ...As to the keyboard ... I have the BlackBerry Mini Keyboard, so can't speak to the one you are looking at. I will say that I thought the keyboard was great until I got my Z10, and there is nothing that can compare to it...
    I searched for this keyboard, but I can only find one for sale on Amazon... for $300!! On Ebay there is also only one, but also priced at $99!! It's fine, I'll keep looking for a cheaper deal, but in the meantime I'll try to get used to the virtual keyboard.

Oh, I also noticed in some reviews on Amazon on the accessories that people buy the stylus. How often do people use this, and is it recommended to get one?

Oops, never mind on the mini keyboard, the $300 included the Playbook. I see better prices on ebay (under $50). But that's for another day...
    Last edited by SavvyBB; 08-13-13 at 08:31 PM.
    08-13-13 08:17 PM
    One place the Playbook performs well is in direct daylight. It needs one small mod to use it in this setting however. Here's a step by step of how you do the mod;

1. Remove the back cover with a pair of vice grips or some pliers.
    2. Carefully remove the inner components as you don't want to make direct contact with the battery, it may be quite hot.
    3. With the inner workings removed pour hot lead into the frame.
    Let cool.
    4. Carefully replace cover with crazy glue.
    5. Repeat steps 1-4 with another 10-12 other Playbooks (preferably the 16 GB).
    6. Glue these units together with crazy glue or duct tape.
    7. Cement a brass eyelet to the resulting cube.
    8. Tie a 50-100' rope to the eyelet.
    9. Connect the other end of the rope to your boat or canoe.
    10. Throw the unit over the side of the boat or canoe to keep it from drifting.

As I said, a very useful unit.

I know, a little unkind. I get that way when I am lied to.

Of course you could always pick one up and hope the new owners of Blackberry (Bre-X perhaps) will maintain the OS for you for years to come.

Yes, I own a Playbook. Yes I am Canadian. No, I do not own an Apple product and my next company phone I have now decided will be a Galaxy Note II so I can get rid of my PB because I luckily didn't jump on the Z10 bandwagon.
    And all kidding aside, I will never buy another Blackberry on the principle they knowingly misled the public. Buyers, and investors, beware.
    Last edited by Andrew Neilson; 08-13-13 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Update
    08-13-13 09:04 PM
    Pay no never mind to the angry little man behind the curtain SavyBB. We'll see to it he gets some sort of therapy. You are going to love your PB. Sounds like you have a great sis.

Posted via CB10 with *Z* BEST!
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 09:49 PM
    One place the Playbook performs well is in direct daylight. It needs one small mod to use it in this setting however. Here's a step by step of how you do the mod;

2. Carefully remove the inner components as you don't want to make direct contact with the battery, it may be quite hot.
    Let cool.

Of course you could always pick one up and hope the new owners of Blackberry (Bre-X perhaps) will maintain the OS for you for years to come.

Yes, I own a Playbook. Yes I am Canadian. No, I do not own an Apple product and my next company phone I have now decided will be a Galaxy Note II so I can get rid of my PB because I luckily didn't jump on the Z10 bandwagon.
    And all kidding aside, I will never buy another Blackberry on the principle they knowingly misled the public. Buyers, and investors, beware.
    You are a bit late to the party. It's on numerous other threads. Food is gone, alcohol is empty, the music's stop. Now go on home.
    Cynycl likes this.
    08-13-13 10:04 PM
    The PlayBook is still a functional tablet that performs better than a lot of Android tablets i've used.

Don't expect any more support for it beyond the bare minimum.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 10:57 PM
    Back to another question posed: I don't think a stylus is all that useful with the pb. There have been a few that perform better than others but most folks only use them to tap smaller links. Writing or drawing with them is not very refined although there are some apps that may be better than others.
    bambinoitaliano and SavvyBB like this.
    08-13-13 11:28 PM

Let cool.

I'd delete your silly post, but that would leave you with zero. I'll give you a warning instead. My heart will grow cold if you continue, you'll never exceed 1, and your membership will sink faster than your creation.

Let's get back on topic campers.
    08-13-13 11:38 PM
    You may be crazy. But rest assured, buying a Playbook will have no outcome on your mental state.

Posted via a ZeDex or PlayaBook
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 11:41 PM
    I guess I'll go with the stand, as they both have the same functionality, right?
    Depending on the kind of casing you get for the playbook. A dock will require your playbook naked to be charged. A rapid charger just click on much easier. Given how cheap they are now. Both were retail at $80 each not so long ago.
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-14-13 07:06 AM
144 1234 ...