View Poll Results: So am I crazy to buy a Playbook at this stage?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely!

47 42.34%
  • No, it's still very useful.

64 57.66%
    Hi fellow CrackBerries! Not sure if this is a proper name for the members here, but if it's not, please forgive me, as this is my very first post on the CrackBerry forums.

I just need some advice. I have wanted the BB Playbook ever since it came out, but it was not affordable for me at the time. Now that the price came down quite a bit, I am on the verge of finally getting one. But with all that's been going on around BlackBerry lately, even knowing that there won't be any future updates, no BB10 and all that, am I crazy to still want one?

Please tell me what you would do, if you were in my shoes: would you still find it a useful device? Do you still prefer it over other tablets? And would you go for the 4G lte 32GB at $100 plus dataplan (at Rogers), or just get the 64GB for $157 at Amazon and use your own BB smartphone to use the Internet? I have a Q10, recently bought it after the screen on my very first smartphone device, a BB Bold 9780, completely went blank after 2 years of vigorous use. I still miss certain things from my old phone, and even though I love the Q10, I'm having certain issues with it, but that's for a different thread. Right now I would appreciate your thoughts on what I'm about to do... And I intend to do it today, so help me out, let me know if you think I'm crazy.

My husband thinks I am, but the reason I still want it, is because my laptop broke and the screen on my Q10 is too small for watching video's, but other than that, I would use it to browse the Internet, listen to music, emails, docs, calendar, to-do list... Basically everything I used to do on my previous laptop, and what I can do with the Q10, except, I still want that bigger screen for watching video's (I got the Q10 instead of the Z10, because I can't live without the physical keyboard). I know there is the option of hooking up my Q10 to the TV screen, but I want a portable bigger screen. I don't care for thousands of apps. So considering my (basic) needs, is it still worth it to get the Playbook?

Thanks for the feedback (I'm hoping to get).
    08-13-13 01:45 PM
    yes, listen to your husband lol
    RS_Ford likes this.
    08-13-13 01:48 PM
    No, follow your hart. I'm happy with my 32 gb Playbook. No 3 or 4g needed, Internet everywhere I go
    08-13-13 01:55 PM
    Your NOT crazy! Hell yes, buy a PlayBook. My wife got one 2-months ago and absolutely LOVES it. She's on it all the time now. Compared to other tablets you can't beat the price either.

Both of our PB's are 64GB Wi-Fi only. They work for our needs, but everyone is different. If you're around Wi-Fi most of the time like we are, then you don't really need to pay more.
    08-13-13 01:55 PM
    Hi fellow CrackBerries! Not sure if this is a proper name for the members here, but if it's not, please forgive me, as this is my very first post on the CrackBerry forums.

I just need some advice. I have wanted the BB Playbook ever since it came out, but it was not affordable for me at the time. Now that the price came down quite a bit, I am on the verge of finally getting one. But with all that's been going on around BlackBerry lately, even knowing that there won't be any future updates, no BB10 and all that, am I crazy to still want one?

Please tell me what you would do, if you were in my shoes: would you still find it a useful device? Do you still prefer it over other tablets? And would you go for the 4G lte 32GB at $100 plus dataplan (at Rogers), or just get the 64GB for $157 at Amazon and use your own BB smartphone to use the Internet? I have a Q10, recently bought it after the screen on my very first smartphone device, a BB Bold 9780, completely went blank after 2 years of vigorous use. I still miss certain things from my old phone, and even though I love the Q10, I'm having certain issues with it, but that's for a different thread. Right now I would appreciate your thoughts on what I'm about to do... And I intend to do it today, so help me out, let me know if you think I'm crazy.

My husband thinks I am, but the reason I still want it, is because my laptop broke and the screen on my Q10 is too small for watching video's, but other than that, I would use it to browse the Internet, listen to music, emails, docs, calendar, to-do list... Basically everything I used to do on my previous laptop, and what I can do with the Q10, except, I still want that bigger screen for watching video's (I got the Q10 instead of the Z10, because I can't live without the physical keyboard). I know there is the option of hooking up my Q10 to the TV screen, but I want a portable bigger screen. I don't care for thousands of apps. So considering my (basic) needs, is it still worth it to get the Playbook?

Thanks for the feedback (I'm hoping to get).
    First off welcome to the forum. If you actually read through all the threads here. What does a bunch of silly men know about what they need let alone what you need. First and for most if you going ot get a playbook get the 64G. Just because you mention movies and music. And playbook do play nice quality movies ( Kalem Soft video player is a must app). If you like to read, it's also a very decent ebook reader. (another app E-Reader you need). With HDMI outlet you can hook it up to your big screen TV. The playbook also has decent front and back cameras (if you get Advance Camera app it will further improve the usage of the camera). I know, I know all these apps suggestion is going to add up. The way I see it. It's a discontinue product that still stand on it's own. If you going to invest in it, you might as well arm your playbook with good apps to make it last. May I suggest one last accessories, a rapid charger or a dock charger will enhance the ease of use for the playbook.
    I got two of my own and not ready to give them up until they die. If you are still not sure, do you know anyone who lives around you that has one? Just get a hold of one and start swiping and see how you feel. Hurry up! I don't think there's many out there in the wild.

PS as other suggested. Stick with the wi fi Playbook. You still can teeter your playbook to Q10 to surf the web.
    SavvyBB, Enyigma and Puddin13 like this.
    08-13-13 02:07 PM
    You really cant beat the power for the price. I'd probably grab the wifi one because you usually wont be using it anywhere that doesnt have internet, and for the odd time that you do, it's not difficult to bridge it accross your cell and enjoy it anyway.
    SavvyBB and Puddin13 like this.
    08-13-13 02:08 PM
    I would use it to browse the Internet, listen to music, emails, docs, calendar, to-do list...
    That's what I use mine for, and it's pretty good at those things. The only slight problem is that javascripts sites are kinda slow to load in the default browser. You can turn javascript off, and it becomes pretty quick... but of course you then risk losing certain functions from the site. Not a big deal, doesn't bother me much, but just keep it in mind.

Otherwise, it's still a decent little tablet for doing the things you've mentioned.
    08-13-13 02:09 PM
    Your not crazy yet. Get a Nexus 7.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 02:11 PM
    Wow, thanks everyone! I just thought of adding a poll, but I refreshed first to see if there were any replies yet, and I'm surprised to see all the replies in such a short amount of time! Only one person sides with my husband, the rest stands behind my decision.Great, now I'm heading over to Amazon! I'm so excited!! (And just for fun, I'll still add the poll.)

Thanks again, you guys!
    08-13-13 02:16 PM
    Your not crazy yet. Get a Nexus 7.

Posted via CB10
    Oops... so one more person who thinks I shouldn't... But I think I already have the answer I was looking for... I'm going for it!
    08-13-13 02:18 PM
    I say, go for it..I have 2...one for me..one for my 3 year old who was hogging mine.

it syncs with my Yahoo, MSN and Google accounts..Calendars sync,too
    You can't beat the price..i have had zero issues.( almost 2 years old)
    Mine is non-4g .
    It connects to Internet Sharing on my Samsung 4G.
    Plus, as mentioned on Crackberry, the Origami Browser is available for the Playbook...It is a breath of fresh air.
    08-13-13 02:21 PM
    Oops... so one more person who thinks I shouldn't... But I think I already have the answer I was looking for... I'm going for it!
    That's your husband maybe
    08-13-13 02:23 PM
    I definitely recommend the rapid charger. Not just for the speed, but it uses a nifty magnet that once you get the end of the cable near, it just snaps together and starts charging. No fumbling to find the tiny little charging port.

Only $16. on Amazon...

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Computers & Accessories
    08-13-13 02:25 PM
    Him using mine as a digital photo frame since i got my Z10
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-13-13 02:29 PM
    I have several of them. My kids also have them and love them. They work fine and are pretty durable. The Size is a great fit. I've hiked across Scotland with it and took some great pictures.
    08-13-13 02:30 PM
    You're definitively NOT crazy (in this respect, you might be in others ). You want one, get one! That's not acting crazy, that's basic wish-fulfillment!
    08-13-13 02:33 PM
    I definitely recommend the rapid charger. Not just for the speed, but it uses a nifty magnet that once you get the end of the cable near, it just snaps together and starts charging. No fumbling to find the tiny little charging port.
    Yup, or the Charging Stand. Really handy if you want to use your PlayBook as a bedside clock
    08-13-13 02:34 PM
    My answer is yes but I feel you have to spend time on it to make it useful. I'm a big proponent of relying on sideloaded apps, which require some effort to locate and install, as they constitute the bulk of the apps I use on the PB, while I really enjoy the function of "sending" emails, files and music over to the PB through Bridge to view on a bigger screen.
    08-13-13 02:53 PM
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the tips on the must have apps and accessories! I'm still on Amazon, trying to decide what else to add to the cart (within my budget), but the Playbook is already in my cart, so I'll go ahead and add the rapid charger as well.

Btw, @ geant39, not a bad idea to use it as a digital photo frame (when not in use). @ Bambinoitaliano, I'm sure BBnygel is not my husband, because he doesn't spend time on the CrackBerry forums. My husband has a BB Torch, but he's also due for a new phone, and he's eyeing a Samsung phone, either the Galaxy S4 or the new Note whatever. I've told him about the upcoming A10/Z30 and the rumoured Z15, but I actually don't want him to get a BB phone again if he's constantly complaining about BlackBerry... That's why I know he wouldn't "waste" time on the CrackBerry forums, because he doesn't care about BlackBerry. But I know I will be spending lots of time here! I have been reading off and on here, but now that I've started posting as well, I know I will be here a lot more. There is so much information to find here, it's just awesome!

I will soon post about my experience with my new Q10 and some of the issues I'm having. I'm sure with the help of the members here, I'll find a solution to each of my problems.
    08-13-13 03:09 PM
    I have 2 and they are very useful, for everything you are looking for, the best part is you don’t need a 4G because you just bridge it to you phone!!
    08-13-13 03:16 PM
    Yup, or the Charging Stand. Really handy if you want to use your PlayBook as a bedside clock
    Wait, which one is better, the stand or the cord??
    Johberry likes this.
    08-13-13 03:18 PM
    I guess I'll go with the stand, as they both have the same functionality, right?
    robhenry24 likes this.
    08-13-13 03:23 PM
    A product whose future upgrade life has ended is not a good investment.
    08-13-13 03:26 PM
    I have the stand... and don't like it. It's sitting in the corner collecting dust.

At least with the cord, you can continue to use it while it charges and not worry about bending, twisting or pulling on the cord.
    FF22, SavvyBB and Enyigma like this.
    08-13-13 03:28 PM
    Since I love a physical keyboard, would you guys recommend this? IMAGE� Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Leather Case Cover with Stand for Blackberry Playbook 7"
    08-13-13 03:30 PM
144 123 ...