Okay, got a PB on Thursday, and I gave it to a friend to load some apps since I don't have a Credit Card. He sideloaded Galaxy on Fire 2 and gave it to me. Now, he's using iOS where its free, so he says he had no idea, but I checked BBWorld and it is a paid app. I immediately deleted it. Now, I spoke to my brother, and he's agreed to buy me some apps and games using his Card.
    I'm going to buy GoF, here is my question, will there be problems buying or installing it considering it was sideloaded before?
    Before you reply, know this: I don't practise nor preach piracy and I deleted the app the moment I saw it was a paid app. I have also given him a sound helling. Please don't tell me piracy is wrong, I know it and I will not stand it on my PB, and I am a law student, and I appreciate Intellectual Property of people.
    Please just tell me will the app work when I buy it, because I loved the game, and if anyone could suggest good 3D games, free or paid is not an issue.
    I don't wish to be flamed, just helped. Thank you.
    rossjackson01 and Utkarsh like this.
    03-09-13 02:11 AM
    Okay, got a PB on Thursday, and I gave it to a friend to load some apps since I don't have a Credit Card. He sideloaded Galaxy on Fire 2 and gave it to me. Now, he's using iOS where its free, so he says he had no idea, but I checked BBWorld and it is a paid app. I immediately deleted it. Now, I spoke to my brother, and he's agreed to buy me some apps and games using his Card.
    I'm going to buy GoF, here is my question, will there be problems buying or installing it considering it was sideloaded before?
    Before you reply, know this: I don't practise nor preach piracy and I deleted the app the moment I saw it was a paid app. I have also given him a sound helling. Please don't tell me piracy is wrong, I know it and I will not stand it on my PB, and I am a law student, and I appreciate Intellectual Property of people.
    Please just tell me will the app work when I buy it, because I loved the game, and if anyone could suggest good 3D games, free or paid is not an issue.
    I don't wish to be flamed, just helped. Thank you.
    look in your bb world account if it shows up under purchases, if not it should work. Do a wipe prior to installing it just to be sure.
    03-09-13 02:47 AM
    it never was there, I asked him how ro remove it, he told me to install DDPP and then do it, so I uninstalled it from there.
    03-09-13 03:33 AM
    Usually those apps and games sideloaded are not shown in your "My World"... which also means that you can download or purchase them (if they are not free) direct from BlackBerry World...

I admire your principles with regards to piracy issues... I hope it will not change when you enter the real life where you are dealing with different people in different scenarios... earth need people like you to become a better place to live on...

Posted via Z10
    03-09-13 03:41 AM
    It would not matter if it was not deleted. The paid for version when loaded should over write the other version.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-09-13 06:54 AM
    Yes it will work np's and there is no way for the developer to know it was sideloaded before.
    03-09-13 10:50 AM
    Yaaayyyyy!!!! Someone who "gets it". I do lament people who seem to think that just because there's a way to get music|applications|tickets|DVDs|etc without paying for them is acceptable because the owner didn't protect his property, and wonder how they'd feel if the circumstances were reversed such that something of theirs was appropriated by another without just compensation....to say nothing about the impact to the IP owner when the market, demand and revenue derived from their efforts makes the effort pointless...and there goes another application.

For example, I'm a big fan of Today's Alarm Clock. The developer offered it first as a freebie, with a small notice that a donation (of a measily $0.99, if memory serves) would support ongoing improvement of the application. (For those of you who haven't tried Today's Alarm Clock, it's basically a full-featured clock/radio, with sleep, alarm and streaming, all built in, as well as traffic status, sports, news and stocks overviews. Once I downloaded it, I got a charge cradle for my PlayBook, which now gets a nightly charge while displaying time and date, weather conditions...and wakes me up to CBC Radio at the appointed time. This replaced my 40-year-old GE "Great Awakening", the first clock/radio to be controlled by a CPU, which sounded great but could only get local radio...and the FM radio was still monaural).

Anyway, shortly after I bought it, an upgrade for the free version came out that was <gasp!> advertiser-supported. I complained to the author, who explained that with the previous release he had only received a meager handful of paid upgrades, and needed the income to justify the effort. That was last year. And there hasn't been an upgrade since.

Anyway, it should be noted to those that get things for "free" are getting what they paid for. And sometimes less. I also say that if something isn't worth having for the price offered, then it's not worth having, period. And finally...just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

Good on you, lawyer to be...be careful, though...you might give the profession a good name!
    yetis_torch and cjcampbell like this.
    03-09-13 11:39 AM
    As a newbie to PB (well, several months now) I frequently read about people "sideloading Android apps. Is sideloading illegal? Are there free apps that can be sideloaded? I have not tried it yet.
    03-09-13 02:23 PM
    Side loading is not illegal and yes there are 100's of apps all over the web that you can sideload. A good place to start would be Good Ereader dot com.
    As a newbie to PB (well, several months now) I frequently read about people "sideloading Android apps. Is sideloading illegal? Are there free apps that can be sideloaded? I have not tried it yet.
    03-09-13 02:54 PM
    That was the big controversy over the android player and BB was going to disable it. Only free apps should be side loaded. It does appear to be free in the Play store. Must be a native app in World. Developers tend to charge for BB apps. Don't think anything was illegal. Paid native app will work better anyways.
    03-09-13 03:36 PM
    I'll happily pay for any app that I want provided it has been made available to purchase on my device.. THAT SAID.. I have no quams pirating android apps that have not been made available for me to purchase.. the dev isn't loosing anything, because I couldn't have bought it.. i'm just getting the benefit of using it. If the dev ever ports it, i'll happily pay even if I already have it sideloaded.
    03-09-13 04:35 PM
    True, thanks for understanding guys, already bought a few games along with an ebook reader software. Feeling happy that there are no cracked apps on my PlayBook!
    03-09-13 10:38 PM
    I seriously cannot believe I'm reading this. The Playbook has android app playing functionality. If an android app is free to use on android devices then it is free to use on the Playbook. Period/End of. Because Blackberry chooses to ask us to pay for apps which are free on other platforms doesn't mean we're obliged to do so. Its one of the reasons why we can and do sideload android apps. Its not illegal so please stop making it sound like we (the sideloading community) are doing anything wrong.
    03-10-13 04:22 PM
    I had the issue because my friend sideloaded GoF 2 HD, which is for Rs. 500(roughly 10$).
    For Android apps, I really have no idea, but seeing as there's no way to pay, I suppose it might be okay.
    Forgive my little knowledge and correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    03-10-13 04:39 PM