06-04-13 09:50 AM
184 ... 34567 ...
    Except bb10 has a rewritten keyboard, browser and touch controls from the PB. These are significant differences.
    I agree, I never said we had bb10 apps only core bb10
    05-26-13 10:58 AM
    For sure, had it not long after it came out!
    05-26-13 11:04 AM
    YES, For what I use it for I would buy it again. It has been a great tool, and a great entertainment device.
    BB10 would be icing on the cake and great compatibility with what BB is doing.
    Because there has been no definitive NO to BB10 on the playbook as yet I am still optimistic however will continue to use this fun-handy bridged tablet…
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-26-13 11:11 AM
    I probably would have bought it, but only because I've been such a loyal BlackBerry user for so many years, and I got it as a gift. However, in the (almost) year since I got mine, I haven't/don't even used the messages app - it automatically signs me onto Facebook chat (as "online") and is far less than ideal, especially in comparison to what I'm used to with BlackBerry smartphone devices.

Now that I've upgraded to BB10, I am no longer able to use the Bridge function, which made me SOOOO disappointed. This was what nearly pushed me over the edge - I feel like I'm making too many personal sacrifices to continue to support this brand that I once loved so much. It's such a [confusing] shame that BlackBerry hasn't been able to keep up with these things - THIS is their time to shine and I honestly feel like they're dropping the ball. I watched the live stream when BlackBerry 10 was released in Canada, and if I recall correctly, it was promised that BB10 would be released with Skype, as well as a host of other popular apps - where are they?? I know, I know - BlackBerry isn't the "apps" device; but I do expect, or at least hope, to be able to use "top ten" or most popular messaging, organizational, and social/media apps... I hope they can pull it together before their time is passed. If their most loyal consumers are feeling as though they can't trust the company and can't expect their needs to be met in a reasonable time frame (we waited so long for BB10!), eventually, they're going to make the difficult decision to move on. Sometimes I wonder why I've stayed...and that makes me really sad!! My mom just got her first smartphone and I got her an iPhone (I despise Apple!); my ex, who is still on my phone plan, made the switch to iPhone and iPad and hasn't mentioned one thing in the past year about missing BlackBerry. He just raves about his iPad and how cool it is. It's more than frustrating...and I continue to see daily app reviews from angry, disappointed, and no longer patient users. BlackBerry has a recent history of massive layoffs, and it's been reported that they have pretty substantial financial/cash assets, so what's going on?!?!?!

I think I can sum up my opinion to ALL of this by saying, I just wish I had known, and I still wish I knew what was coming down the line...so I could make an informed decision based on transparency. IS the PlayBook expecting BB10 in the near future? Is BB10 expecting to contract for these most-desired apps? When we sign a contract and hand over money for a new BlackBerry device, what are we getting, and what are we not getting - and why does this have to be so ambiguous?

I hope BlackBerry succeeds and makes us proud. We've loved them long and hard, and would love nothing more than to celebrate their revival!!
    evanmichael likes this.
    05-26-13 11:58 AM
    yep, I bought mine as soon as the first round of price drops came by. love it
    05-26-13 12:47 PM
    My wife and I bought PlayBook for each other because they work in conjunction with our 9780's. We both use our devices for work and entertainment; for us the PlayBook works admirably. It's my third screen at the office, my silly gaming tablet at home, my e-reader, alarm clock, radio, video-on-the-go device, and my bank teller. It helps me book tickets, set appointments, read emails, text, BBM, edit documents and spreadsheets, and just improves my overall productivity. It is my every day device. As I don't have any current plans to move up to BB10 phones at the moment, I'd go out and buy another one if this one craps out.

The 9780 bridged to my PlayBook is how I interact with the world. It's an easy to use system that allows me to get things done; it more than fills my needs. So to answer the OP's question, yes. I would have bought the PlayBook regardless.
    05-26-13 12:53 PM
    I didn't know BB10 was even coming when I got my Playbook. It was on sale for $120 dollars for a 32g version....no brainer!
    05-26-13 01:52 PM
    Absolutely! Love my Playbook.
    05-26-13 02:59 PM
    Yup because there were other promises made before BlackBerry10 was announced that I would have liked, like a real browser with bookmark management..etc.
    05-26-13 03:51 PM
    The PlayBook is the single biggest tech disappointment I have ever purchased. I have hoped each time that the next update was the one that would give the necessary to bring it up to speed only to be continually disappointed. BB10 is in my opinion the last best hope for PlayBook and I found the fact that my GNote would get BBM before my PlayBook did the last straw. When BBM is available for Android, I will sell my Z10 and PB as a package.
    05-26-13 04:17 PM
    I never bought a PlayBook. RIM handed those things out for free like they were pieces of candy on Halloween night. I still have two laying around my house some where, and I gave one to a friend of mine. I only know of one person who actually paid money for a PlayBook, but I know of several people who were given more than one for free.

So to answer the question, I guess I'd have to say no.
    05-26-13 04:39 PM
    Absolutely...I have two 64GB at the $149.00 price from Office Depot a while back...Keeps my 11 year old entertained...Sadly though I have moved on to the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0...
    05-26-13 05:37 PM
    If I had know two years after the launch the PlayBook Would be in its current state, then no I would not have bought it at launch. RIM / BlackBerry has never delivered on the expectations they set for the device. And now my service has degraded by upgrading to the newest device and the Bridge being an afterthought. An iPad would have been a better way to spend my $699 and would still be supported, unlike the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 07:18 PM
    Gentle advice: buy technology based on what it can do on the day you buy it. That goes for ALL platforms.

Having said that, I completely understand dismayed PB users. It was promised to them.
    Dallin Crump and peter9477 like this.
    05-26-13 07:41 PM
    Absolutely would have along with the bluetooth keyboard/case for it as it's been a life saver with school and work

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 07:50 PM
    Yep, I bought my PlayBook on launch day before BlackBerry 10 was even a mention to the public. I still love it and use it several times a day for all sorts of things. I just wish my bridge features would come back...regardless if we get OS 10 or not, fix the Bridge BlackBerry!!

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 08:04 PM
    I bought my 64Gb one for full retail for $699 plus 13% GST at 7am the morning they launched it two years ago. The 16Gb one I got by spending more than a hundred hours writing a program in bbworld to get it. I have invested more than $400 in cases, chargers and a screen replacement so I easily have over $600 in each (not counting the $1000 in minimum wage I invested in the app). I don't regret the "investment " for one nanosecond.

When I still had my Torch I took them around the world for 11 months with my family and I used them daily to read ebooks, catch up on email, browse the Web, take photos and videos, book hotels, trains, cars and flights, update the family blog and play games when bored. When I didn't have free wifi, I used the Torch to bridge. In the 11 months, we were unable to use them for about 2 weeks because we were camping in the bush of Botswana and had no power to charge them. I even used them in the middle of the Serengti (where I was surprised to see my Torch had 5 bars). I can't imagine our trip without them.

Fast forward to now and I have BB10 on my Z10. I don't bother bringing the PlayBook's when I know I'm going to be away from wifi but I bring them to work and to my hotel rooms. I still use them for browsing (much nicer to have the big screen), ebooks and playing games but the Z10 has taken over for emails (better keyboard) and photos/videos (better camera). I still rather use the PlayBook for browsing, reading ebooks and games.

If someone stole them, I'd panic because I have seen any for sale in a long time - and I wouldn't blink. I've tried iPads and Androids and I just don't like them. For me the PlayBook is the perfect size, weight and I still love the UI. Nothing else comes close.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-26-13 09:19 PM
    I got mine two years ago, before BlackBerry 10 on the PlayBook was on anyone's mind. I'd buy it again too.
    05-26-13 09:21 PM
    yes. didnt even think about my PB when i got my Z10.
    05-26-13 09:22 PM
    Bought my first PlayBook before BB10 was even an issue. I just wish that all of the bridge functionality was back.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-26-13 10:08 PM
    I am upset that BlackBerry bridge doesn't work on the Z10 like my 9900. I'm still keeping out hope for BB10 to make it to my PlayBook.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-26-13 10:27 PM
    I was one of those so-called "early birds"... and I bought my first PB not on the basis of BB10 is coming to PlayBook... but "YES", I bought my 2nd and 3rd PB's on the basis of Mr. TH commitment that the current PlayBook (both wifi & LTE version) will get BB10... I even give the 3rd PB to my brother as my birthday gift to him, telling him that he will own me a lot once BB10 comes to PB... now, only my niece and nephew are enjoying the PB that I gave to him...

To cut the story short, "NO" I will not my 2nd & 3rd PB if I know that BB10 will not come to PB... it will be dead and irrelevant anyway - no matter how good it is...

Posted via Z10
    05-26-13 10:32 PM
    Misleading title. There is no official announcement that it is NOT coming. Nothing to debate per the title. Useless spinning of wheels on the current subject. Now if the title was "If they announced that BB10 is NOT coming to the PlayBook, would you still have bought one?", then when can debate.

I know, semantics
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    05-26-13 11:07 PM
    At the time I bought the PlayBook I knew nothing about BB10. Once bb bridge came, it made the pb even more awesome with my Bold 9700....the question for me is would I have bought the z10 knowing bridge would be disabled (I'm on AT&T)answers is----probably NOT. BRING BACK BRIDGE FULL FUNCTIONALITY.....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
    FF22 likes this.
    05-27-13 02:14 AM
    Yes I would. I use it everyday & it doesn't bother me at all if bb10 won't come
    05-27-13 02:15 AM
184 ... 34567 ...