06-04-13 10:50 AM
184 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I bought mine a couple of months ago,and extremely pleased with it.64gb,7" screen nice and compact and a great price at AUD 200.
    05-26-13 03:56 AM
    , you like many other tablet uses think it will replace a computer/laptop..
    Nope. You are the only one that is asserting this point.
    05-26-13 04:47 AM
    I bought mine few months after it was relased and payed the full price for it!
    I really like it, nice browsing, great ebook reader and great audio and video player...really like it...

But if they said that there is going to be bb10 os for it, i am really happy about it and cant wait beacuse its a new update, dont care is it going to be bb10 or any kind of update common bb give as update for pb

Just cant wait!
    05-26-13 04:52 AM
    Interesting debate. I personally got the playbook because it was really affordable at the time and the fact that BB10 may come to the playbook later was/would have been an added bonus. The playbook worked worked really well with my BB OS7 device and had no complaints with it.

Then the Z10 came out and I jumped on that wagon immediately. I have to say I am really disappointed with Blackberry Bridge on the Z10. At the very least, they should improve Blackberry Bridge pairing between the playbook and Z10.

Deep down however, i'd love to see the Playbook getting an OS upgrade, it's quickly fading into obscurity and it's such a nice device.
    FF22 and RLC3780 like this.
    05-26-13 05:23 AM
    Interesting debate. I personally got the playbook because it was really affordable at the time and the fact that BB10 may come to the playbook later was/would have been an added bonus. The playbook worked worked really well with my BB OS7 device and had no complaints with it.

Then the Z10 came out and I jumped on that wagon immediately. I have to say I am really disappointed with Blackberry Bridge on the Z10. At the very least, they should improve Blackberry Bridge pairing between the playbook and Z10.

Deep down however, i'd love to see the Playbook getting an OS upgrade, it's quickly fading into obscurity and it's such a nice device.
    I still have a sneaking suspicion that the Bridge functionality wasn't implemented for the current PB OS because BB was assuming that BB10 would be released so soon that the effort would basically be wasted.

In fact, if Bridge is restored to full functionality on OS2.1, that will be a sure sign that BB10 is never coming.
    05-26-13 05:25 AM
    This has nothing to do with pride. Pride has to do with your ego. This is about whether the playbook is a satisfactory product. The fact is, its not and even Thor doesn't want to talk about it.
    The FACT is that the PlayBook is satisfactory to ME. It has everything to do with pride. My pride is my personal feeling. You have no input on the subject.
    mpetrol and Roodog46 like this.
    05-26-13 05:26 AM
    AYes, because I bought my Playbook during the firesale for $120. At the time I was under the impression that the tablet wasn't even going to be supported anymore. It was too good to pass up a device that does so much for that price.

I'm not exactly sure when BB mentioned bringing 10 to the Playbook but if it was when the prices were already slashed I see no reason to complain. You were able to buy a pretty cutting edge tablet discounted from $500 (RIM was losing money on them). Realistically, no one is owed anything. There's a reason we were able to buy the tablet for that much in the first place.
    Thunderbuck and tkgafs like this.
    05-26-13 05:42 AM
    Absolutely! I love my PlayBook. However, seeing what BB10 can do, I would like to have some of the features and the app selection for the PlayBook.
    05-26-13 06:15 AM
    I'm not exactly sure when BB mentioned bringing 10 to the Playbook but if it was when the prices were already slashed I see no reason to complain.
    You may not, but others have, and they have every right to. RIM made many promises and claims about the PB that have gone unfulfilled, including the BB10 promise.
    You were able to buy a pretty cutting edge tablet discounted from $500 (RIM was losing money on them).
    Incorrect, it was a 120$ tablet when you bought it, not a 500$ tablet. Though i agree that I thought it could be a great deal for some people and said so at the time, the fact is these were not special discount gifts from RIM to do a special favor to these people, these "discounts" were permanent price slashes because that's the only price they would sell at.
    Realistically, no one is owed anything. There's a reason we were able to buy the tablet for that much in the first place.
    No. The cost of the BB did not imply that no promises from RIM/BB need ever be met - they did not go bankrupt, nor did they say that PB support was discontinued - actually they went out of their way to say that the PB had a big future.

This is incorrect, but worse - and I'm sure you didn't intend it - insulting to those who do not share your opinion. Even within this thread some have stated they wouldn't have bought it without the promise, but even the assertion that is a necessary requirement for BB to meet it's promises is another logical and moral flaw. It is NOT required that you bought the PB based on a promise of BB10, to expect BB to deliver BB10 (or any other feature) as per their claims. If anyone chooses to absolve BB of their responsibility to fulfill their promises because they would have bought one anyways, or because they are happy now, that generosity is their right, but it in no way invalidates the expectations of those who believe companies should deliver their products as promised. I really do not feel I should have to state this...it is troubling these arguments are being presented.
    Wasp14 and RLC3780 like this.
    05-26-13 06:38 AM
    I bought the playbook not because of BB10. I was expecting some improvement to the os though...like Chinese input.
    05-26-13 06:59 AM
    I consider my pb a most amazing device. really having bb10 or not does not make an iota of difference,and despite having a z10 I still use my pb for browsing,accessing my emails,etc .
    05-26-13 07:06 AM
    Like many others in this thread, my 1st PB was full price near launch day. Since then, I've competed the trinity with the 32 &64 gb versions as well. Each one is set up differently and does exactly what I or someone in the family needs. Since we all carry BBs, it was a no brainer for PB to be part of our communication toolbox.
    The benefits of the PB at work are irreplaceable for me. Drawings, addendum, changes orders can be viewed, zoomed, reviewed etc without issue....Reading a 36x48 drawing on a 9650/99x0 or even a Z10 screen doable, on PB, just 10000x easier and when we are in project meetings, one cable tied to a large monitor and boom, the whole room is on the same Page.

If BlackBerry adds the old Presenter support to the new generation of devices and software, I'd be a happy camper...yes, yes, I know, not all of us have DNLa support. Lol

I know I will be in line for the lte/hspa or whatever they release version too [=

Have a great weekend everyone!
    05-26-13 07:47 AM
    No I bought it knowing that BB10 had been promised. Even though I got it for a good price it was only because it had been stated that all playbook would get BB10 that I bought it, otherwise I would probably have got a nexus. Having said that I'd say that the playbook is very underrated and if its browser was faster it would be a very good device.

It is an excellent media player with plenty of space I recommend the origami browser and think4foryou music player.

But bottom line is I bought it on the promise of BB10 and will be very annoyed if it does not appear.
    05-26-13 07:54 AM
    I wouldn't, I bought the playbook because it was suppose to be the first device with bb10, then they said that bb10 would come on phone first, which pissed me off but fully understood why, now if it never come on playbook, all that waiting was for nothing. You can tell me to buy a z10 if I really want a bb10 os, but my phone is a work phone and os7 is the most stable business os right now.(Not saying that os10 will never be, but not right now) Don't hate me for that, it's the truth.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-26-13 08:07 AM
    I wouldn't, I bought the playbook because it was suppose to be the first device with bb10, then they said that bb10 would come on phone first, which pissed me off but fully understood why, now if it never come on playbook, all that waiting was for nothing. You can tell me to buy a z10 if I really want a bb10 os, but my phone is a work phone and os7 is the most stable business os right now.(Not saying that os10 will never be, but not right now) Don't hate me for that, it's the truth.
    I'm not sure you looked in to this as much as you could have. PlaybookOS is Blackberry 10, just short some frameworks a few other things and the UI.

seeing as the playbook was the developer platform for bb10

if you have arguments look up blackberry 10.0.6.XXXX it is clearly bb10 but lo and behold it has the pbos ui
    05-26-13 08:11 AM
    I bought mine early on so no fire sale price for me. If I knew it wasn't getting everything they talked about and showed back then I wouldn't have got it let alone BB10. So no I wouldn't esp since the browser was pretty good but now it's not, lag, checkerboards, poofs. I still use it but it has to the most hyped under delivered tab of all time.
    kboya likes this.
    05-26-13 08:11 AM
    The promise is still there. As for your comment that it feels as if its lacking, i suggest you dont bother with tablets because the idap and droid tabs feel the same like they are lacking.
    05-26-13 08:19 AM
    definitely NOT, because current OS is useless. Mayor bug problems, especially with javascript....
    05-26-13 08:21 AM
    There are so many people complaining about the lack of BB10 and saying they're giving up on the PB, it makes me wonder why they bought one in the first place. I mean, it still does email very well, web browsing extremely well, is a fine e-book reader, video is tremendous and it has superb audio. In fact it has all sorts of applications and functions and has a great spec. I only got mine at Christmas and I was not anticipating BB10 coming and I still use it every day.
    Yes I would still buy it, but I got it at the fire sale price, not full retail. I bought it with the promise of Playbook OS 2.0 (built in email, calendar, contacts) and use it as a portable 'couch' device to check email, browse , etc while the Z10 sits mainly charging up... I was really surprised when TH announced they would support BB10 to be honest.

I'm more disappointed at the crippled Bridge functionality. I was looking forward to that feature very much when I saw it in action on a buddy's Playbook with his older Blackberry Bold.

But in fairness to others, Blackberry promised BB10 on the Playbook and if they fail to deliver on that promise that doesn't look good for the company. If it's not coming and they know it, they should just come clean and deal with it. I still think they'll end up delivering some form of BB10 Lite that will fulfill the promise, I can't see get the full OS working smoothly on the PB. Especially gaming for apps like MC4.

If they restored full Bridge, added Hub, BBM over Wifi, the BB10 keyboard and the BB10 browser I'd be very happy.
    trynacu2 and RLC3780 like this.
    05-26-13 08:56 AM
    There are so many people complaining about the lack of BB10 and saying they're giving up on the PB, it makes me wonder why they bought one in the first place. I mean, it still does email very well, web browsing extremely well, is a fine e-book reader, video is tremendous and it has superb audio. In fact it has all sorts of applications and functions and has a great spec. I only got mine at Christmas and I was not anticipating BB10 coming and I still use it every day.
    The title of the thread should have been if you had know Netflix wasn't coming would you still have bought one! The answer is no I would not have. The one app i need is netflix and the other is printer support but thats another issue.
    05-26-13 10:14 AM
    Still would. In a heartbeat. If I really needed one. Cheers.
    05-26-13 10:23 AM
    For the price and the build quality, in a heart beat. It has a decent camera too considering its not really designed to have an amazing one. I am content, but I can't lie I'd be delighted with bb10.
    05-26-13 10:30 AM
    I'm not sure you looked in to this as much as you could have. PlaybookOS is Blackberry 10, just short some frameworks a few other things and the UI.

seeing as the playbook was the developer platform for bb10

if you have arguments look up blackberry 10.0.6.XXXX it is clearly bb10 but lo and behold it has the pbos ui
    Except bb10 has a rewritten keyboard, browser and touch controls from the PB. These are significant differences.
    05-26-13 11:12 AM
    Yes, we would have. The very first PB I was involved in was purchased spring of 2011 for our National Sales Manager. Purchased at full price. After over 2 years of deployment the only complaint was it didn't come with an HDMI cable. The Bridge email functionality was perfect for us because we didn't want to manage emails in 2 locations.

I also think there are a few myths surrounding the Playbook. Some may come to be true but only 2014 will tell.

1. As far as a "business tablet", we are a business and we use 3 of these daily. Print To Go, background video/audio capture, multiple remote desktop applications, Files and Folders and a couple video conferencing tools make this a great fit for us.

2. People who paid full price are disappointed. Not all of us.

3. No updates since 2.1. I think there have been 3 though 1 of those was to fix another lol.

4. BB10 for the Playbook was a broken promise. Personally, I have my doubts we will see a public release but it isn't 2014 yet. At least not in my time zone.

5. BlackBerry doesn't publicly recognize the existence of the PB. Yes they do and regularly. You aren't listening to the right places.

6. The PB bounces. I have dropped mine twice and it definitely doesn't bounce. Nor did it break.
    05-26-13 11:32 AM
    I would have bought it. Lets face it, all tablets have finite lives. Already there are apps that dont run or don't run well on iPad 1. I bought the Playbook admittedly at discount to have a 7 inch tablet. It has the smaller size I wanted to read books on the go, and has stereo speakers. iPad has one back facing speaker even with all that bezel. All of this makes the Playbook a great tablet as is. I also use it regularily bridged to my work BB which is a 9900 (my personal is a Z10) to more easily read emails while away from my desk. Its like having my desktop outlook in my hand.

Oh, to top it off its always great when I buy an app on my Z10 and I see it come up on BB World on my Playbook.
    05-26-13 11:52 AM
184 ... 23456 ...