PB had so much promise unfulfilled, I was a chump for buying it. Hardly use it anymore
    05-30-13 07:10 AM
    Yes I bought it without even knowing BB10 was going to be on it all they need to do is bring bridge back and I'll be happy with that

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 07:29 AM
    I would have still purchased mine, but I'm not sure I would have purchased another 2 for my parents.
    05-30-13 01:46 PM
    No, the forest fire was already burning since BB10 was delayed for over a year. What BBRY have done with the PlayBook is to completely ignore that fire and pretend it's too small to affect their property...
    Where do you get BB10 was delayed over a year? The original release was scheduled for "late 2012". No hard date was ever given. That could have meant Dec 31, 2012. The actual release was Q1 2013 (Feb 5). On my calendar that's approx 2 months.
    05-30-13 09:41 PM
    Absolutely. I bought mine well before BB10 was announced. I still use it every day.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 10:06 PM
    Nope, my Playbook is in the drawer awaiting BB10, unless I get fed up waiting and Ebay it for a Windows 8 tablet
    06-01-13 05:41 AM
    Nope.
    I bought my PlayBook at around the time PlayBook owners were first given that impression that PlayBook would get BlackBerry 10.
    Annoyed and disappointed, my PlayBook has become paperweight since I picked up a Z10 especially because BlackBerry has not further developed Bridge for BlackBerry 10 and the PlayBook OS.
    In the end I feel a bit bitter, could have saved a good amount of money, maybe use that money for my car and textbooks, or even buy an iPad of some generation.
    I picked your post but I've seen many others that claim they are upset with Blackberry because of the Bridge limitations in BB10 but then go on to say they would or are going to buy a different manufacturers tablet.
    How does this make sense or fix the Bridge problem in any way?
    Bridge has lost some of it's functionality so I'll get a tablet that doesn't have any Bridge functionality.
    06-01-13 06:16 PM
    There are so many people complaining about the lack of BB10 and saying they're giving up on the PB, it makes me wonder why they bought one in the first place. I mean, it still does email very well, web browsing extremely well, is a fine e-book reader, video is tremendous and it has superb audio. In fact it has all sorts of applications and functions and has a great spec. I only got mine at Christmas and I was not anticipating BB10 coming and I still use it every day.
    Would I still have bought one? Of course not. I was one of the poor suckers who bought my Playbook for over $500 the day it came out on April 19, 2011 with such high hopes as it was being touted then as an iPad killer lol. Blackberry has constantly lied to us over the past year promising BB10 as it falls through, and my trust in this company has been totally abused. But I still love my Playbook and use it daily because of the HDMI out. This allows a great web browsing, gaming and email experience but the lack of apps on my Playbook is pathetic. There's not even a real Skype on here. Sure am happy I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to take care of my app needs.
    Last edited by TouchScreen123; 06-01-13 at 06:34 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-13 06:22 PM
    The pb was great when I had my bold. But now I have a z10, I think of it differently because of the lack of bridge functionality. I hardly use it anymore for that reason and also because the z10 is so awesome. Thinking about just selling it
    06-01-13 06:33 PM
    Would I still have bought one? Of course not. I was one of the poor suckers who bought my Playbook for over $500 the day it came out on April 19, 2011 with such high hopes as it was being touted then as an iPad killer lol.
    So, you bought your Playbook on April 19, 2011 with the idea that someday it would be running BB10? Are you psychic?

Remember, the question you are answering here is; If you had known BB10 was NOT coming to the PlayBook, would you still have bought one?
    06-01-13 06:38 PM
    I picked your post but I've seen many others that claim they are upset with Blackberry because of the Bridge limitations in BB10 but then go on to say they would or are going to buy a different manufacturers tablet.
    Bridge has lost some of it's functionality so I'll get a tablet that doesn't have any Bridge functionality.
    I'll take a shot at that one: Once the pb no longer works FOR ME in close tandem with my phone, there are reasons to explore the competition whether for a much wider assortment of apps, or newer, better browsing or maybe a better screen. Frankly, the interplay of using my bbphone as a remote for the tablet is not that great. Scrolling can be hard (although better than the bb bt keyboard) and the other day I was using hdmi and an email came in so I decided for the 1st time, to reply watching the email on the big tv and typing the reply with the 9930 - it was an awful experience. It did word completions that were the oddest I've ever seen. Different then using either the pb alone and the 9930 alone. And fixing them was hard as it insisted on using its words even when I backspaced out. So, yes, if they kill the Bridge I have for email and calendar and memos, there are less reasons to stick with bb products. The one advantage would be the shared data.

And I'm not jumping ship YET. But as Rim/bbry has discovered with their past mistakes lots of folks have for whatever reason, jumped ship. And once lost, they would need a compelling reason to come back. I have no doubt that those with MONEY will experiment with bb10 phones but many people can't afford the luxury of experimenting. So they will stick with what they adopted - they have investment in apps and comfort with their new platform. Just like initially folks won't jump away from BB but once they do, some will not return.

(edited to fix one typo and add some context)
    Last edited by F2; 06-02-13 at 08:51 AM.
    Angus_CB likes this.
    06-01-13 08:42 PM
    So, you bought your Playbook on April 19, 2011 with the idea that someday it would be running BB10? Are you psychic?

Remember, the question you are answering here is; If you had known BB10 was NOT coming to the PlayBook, would you still have bought one?
    That is the question but I think the person you replied to has a point - the entire pb history is littered with overselling and disappointment. I recall when they altered the OS to allow incremental updates to the OS so that they could routinely send out updates. Then that plan was altered as they decided to do a major overhaul to OS2 but left a long period of a very unfinished pb system. So incremental updates ended as quickly as they never really started. Then OS2 stalled for a longish time and still left the pb with an incomplete browser - really, NO bookmark renaming/reordering - NO search on Webpage. Two years and now maybe, maybe NOT, we will get bb10.

So, yup, he avoided the direct question but answered an implied one. I forgive him or her.
    JeepBB and Angus_CB like this.
    06-01-13 08:48 PM

LOL ok, well, I bought it at the time of the promise of it being an iPad killer, so I got mine wayyy before BB10 was even thought of. Word of that came maybe 8 months later. I wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now, but I gotta tell you I'm having a great time playing Asphalt 7 I just got on my Playbook through the HDMI to my HDTV Gonna keep hoping for BB10 as a Christmas gift for 2013 from Blackberry. Maybe ThorClause will get it to us all
    Angus_CB likes this.
    06-01-13 08:48 PM
    I bought mine three months ago because I'd heard a BB10 update would eventually come out for it. While I did find I actually love this thing as it is, (so to answer the question, yes, still glad I bought one,) I'm still hopeful for the update. It seems like the best chance to get some important apps for it. I don't need a lot, but the fact there's no first-party apps for Twitter, Linkedin, Amazon or Netflix really hobbles the playbook.

And I don't know that a BB10 update will necessarily fix these things - but most apps ARE on the Z10 I saw at the Verizon store. So even if there is a limited build of BB10, it would be worth it for access to a fuller app store. Just sayin'.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-13 08:57 PM
    Honestly, I bought mine on a Black Friday when they first dropped in price. I bought because I had a 9900 and the prospect of not having to pay for Internet for another device thanks to bridge was too tempting. That said, I won't lie and say BlackBerry 10 being released for the PlayBook wasn't a factor, it was, at first. The more I used it. The more I realized I honestly didn't care as long as I could have Internet on it always thanks to Bridge . So yeah, I'd still buy it today.
    Still, I'm tempted to see how BlackBerry 10 is going to be implemented on this beauty of a tablet.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 09:19 PM
    I'll take a shot at that one: Once the pb no longer works FOR ME in close tandem with my phone, there are reasons to explore the competition whether for a much wider assortment of apps, or newer, better browsing or maybe a better screen.
    This ^^^

Whilst it may seem perverse to many to consider replacing a tablet that has limited Bridging, for one with no Bridging at all, if the limited Bridging doesn't meet your needs... then it might as well not be present at all for all the use you make of it.

Once you've reached that realisation, then as my learn'ed friend F2 says, you might as well consider other tech with a richer App environment, etc.

And I'm not jumping ship YET. But as Rim/bbry has discovered with their past mistakes lots of folks have for whatever reason.And once lost, they would need a compelling reason to come back. I have no doubt that those with MONEY will experiment with bb10 phones but many people can't afford the luxury of experimenting. So they will stick with what they adopted.
    I reckon I've already reached that point with BB phones.

I think my WinPhone is actually rather nice, and (currently) any replacement is likely to be another WinPhone. That's my opinion, not a challenge to make me see the error of my ways BTW...

I retain a certain fondness for a proper keyboard, but I won't be spending over $830 (Q10 UK prices) just for that feature... and I certainly won't be buying any BB10 phone until BB finish the g'damn OS!

It's becoming a bit of a mantra on some of the other forums now: "Oh that <bug>/<omission> should be fixed in 10.2"... which I read is due as a Beta release in September(?). That mantra started when it was realised that 10.1 (still not available for many people) hadn't fixed some things.

I won't be waiting several more months for "should be" BB10 fixes so I reckon BB have already lost me as a phone customer. And, they are well on the way to losing me as a tablet customer too.

I won't sell my PB, it's worth more to me as an on-the-go browser (dreadful as the PB browser is!) than any monetary amount I'm likely to see off eBay. The shame of it has always been that the PB, even now, has impressive HW that has always been limited by its OS. But I won't buy another BB tablet (assuming BB choose to actually make another one).
    FF22 and blueberrymerry like this.
    06-02-13 03:08 AM
    LOL ok, well, I bought it at the time of the promise of it being an iPad killer, so I got mine wayyy before BB10 was even thought of. Word of that came maybe 8 months later. I wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now, but I gotta tell you I'm having a great time playing Asphalt 7 I just got on my Playbook through the HDMI to my HDTV Gonna keep hoping for BB10 as a Christmas gift for 2013 from Blackberry. Maybe ThorClause will get it to us all
    If I remember correctly the promise at the time I bought my first one was something like "Professional Grade device" leading me to believe that it would have all of the apps necessary to use for work.
    Turns out, it is a great media player if you add third party software.
    So, for me, yes I would have bought it anyway. BB10 is unlikely to improve the Playbook for my use.
    I do feel for you guys that paid full price for the Playbook.
    06-02-13 08:12 AM
    I'll take a shot at that one: Once the pb no longer works FOR ME in close tandem with my phone, there are reasons to explore the competition whether for a much wider assortment of apps, or newer, better browsing or maybe a better screen.
    You are full of... sensible answers.
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    06-02-13 08:17 AM

It's becoming a bit of a mantra on some of the other forums now: "Oh that <bug>/<omission> should be fixed in 10.2"... which I read is due as a Beta release in September(?). That mantra started when it was realised that 10.1 (still not available for many people) hadn't fixed some things.
    the 10.2 beta they said would hit june/july for summer
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-02-13 08:25 AM
    Thanks for correcting my faulty memory... I wasn't completely sure of the 10.2 date (hence the ?) but I was sure I'd read September.

I don't think it changes my point though.

Clearly, just as 10.1 hasn't fixed all of the issues, neither I'm sure will 10.2 (and a beta in June/July could easily become an official release in September I reckon). So I'm sure there will be a 10.3 to fix some more of the bugs and (inexplicable) legacy OS omissions (like the inability to set multiple alarms, e.g different alarms for weekdays vs weekends, that is currently causing all sorts of ructions on the BB10 forums. As an aside, I recommend the BB10 forums wholeheartedly, as they are extremely entertaining. On the multi-alarms thread, the poster that insisted that one alarm should be enough for anyone and suggested that the OP should change his lifestyle so that he didn't have to get up at a different time each day made me laugh out loud. ).

My point is that BB10 phones are the "coming soon" game all over again. And I will never again buy any tech, and certainly not a �500 phone!, based on "coming soon" promises. I learnt my lesson with the Playbook and the "60 days" lie. Honestly, if you can't believe a CEO, who can you believe... ? LOL
    Last edited by JeepBB; 06-02-13 at 09:26 AM.
    06-02-13 09:00 AM
    This ^^^

Whilst it may seem perverse to many to consider replacing a tablet that has limited Bridging, for one with no Bridging at all, if the limited Bridging doesn't meet your needs... then it might as well not be present at all for all the use you make of it.

Once you've reached that realisation, then as my learn'ed friend F2 says, you might as well consider other tech with a richer App environment, etc.

I reckon I've already reached that point with BB phones.

I think my WinPhone is actually rather nice, and (currently) any replacement is likely to be another WinPhone. That's my opinion, not a challenge to make me see the error of my ways BTW...

I retain a certain fondness for a proper keyboard, but I won't be spending over $830 (Q10 UK prices) just for that feature... and I certainly won't be buying any BB10 phone until BB finish the g'damn OS!

I won't be waiting several more months for "should be" BB10 fixes so I reckon BB have already lost me as a phone customer. And, they are well on the way to losing me as a tablet customer too.

I won't sell my PB, it's worth more to me as an on-the-go browser (dreadful as the PB browser is!) than any monetary amount I'm likely to see off eBay. The shame of it has always been that the PB, even now, has impressive HW that has always been limited by its OS. But I won't buy another BB tablet (assuming BB choose to actually make another one).
    And I'll quote my learned friend.

That mantra of: "Rim will fix it (bookmark organization, file management, Search in the Browser) in a future OS" was applied over and over to the Playbook. We are still waiting. What some believe are bugs, others accept as "accepable limitations or design choices of the new OS" and so are never really addressed and not "fixed" since they are not seen as broken.

Yup, Rim had to make choices to bring the OS to final fruition but no one knows if they were temporary choices or final decisions. Is FULL BRIDGE's absence on bb10 phones a temporary choice or a permanent FIX? Did they not have time and will address its absence or was it a purposeful omission and a permanent omission? Rim can choose to remain vague but some don't find vagueness acceptable. Lack of profiles - purposeful? No auto on/off purposeful? No Alarm when off - purposeful? Obviously, they are not going to software fix the lack of external charging contacts to allow the phone to stand near a bed. Wise choice or foolish paring down of features to lower cost?

Questions. No answers. But if you are a PB owner or a bb10 owner, don't be swayed by the answer bb10 phones will get that feature and it will be coming in a future update - we know that just is not true. Or likely not true. Or we have no idea and fan speculation that it WILL come is just that - speculation.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-02-13 09:04 AM
    Not likely. I did get it for dirt cheap before the firesale started, but I was fully expecting some BB10 version to be available as promised. My wife has dismissed the playbook and gone back to using her 3 year old phone or an old iPod to browse the internet while around the house. I was really hoping for BB10 to bring some improved stability and at least a better browsing experience. Otherwise I would have just bought a cheap direct from China Android tablet.
    06-02-13 09:11 AM
    I agree 100% lol

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 10:29 AM
    The 10.2 Beta SDK. That doesn't mean the phones. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dev phones were updated at that time, my guess would be that the phones will be getting the 10.2 update around sept after the SDK leaves beta, & I think that's where people are getting the sept prediction, To the best of my knowleged IT WAS NOT SAID BY BBRY!

We always do that, we create release dates & then get mad when BBRY doesn't meet the dates that WE (the users) invented.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 10:37 AM
    The 10.2 Beta SDK. That doesn't mean the phones. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dev phones were updated at that time, my guess would be that the phones will be getting the 10.2 update around sept after the SDK leaves beta, & I think that's where people are getting the sept prediction, To the best of my knowleged IT WAS NOT SAID BY BBRY!

We always do that, we create release dates & then get mad when BBRY doesn't meet the dates that WE (the users) invented.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not holding my breath for anything I'm going to be using my playbook daily till it dies and really I bought it this year back in Feb so I have a lot of life left in this little device. So if I get bb10 awesome, if not I will continue to use it everyday
    06-02-13 10:59 AM
184 ... 5678