You can check the temperature in hell on the day I would even consider buying another tablet from Blackberry. Commitment to Tablets from Blackberry has been publicly announced as zero with Thor's frankly ridiculous and ill advised speech on tablets dissappearing in 5 years. More importantly the treatment of the playbook shows in real terms their commitment to the tablet market.

Honestly, Buying another phone even is unlikely at this stage unless 10.x on the Q10 at least brings feature parity with BBOS7 one day.

As to your 2nd point, I don't know that another CEO would necessarily change my mind - all they can do is provide more talk, just like Thor did when he walked in. No, Actions speak loudest. Show me a 10.x to make my old 9900 seem less productive, and we can revisit it. Until then, I will be watching with interest, but only watching. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me......
    I think this is the issue for me. I have a Torch with OS6, it does what I want/need it to do. I am not willing to give up business functionality for Skype, any kind of flicks, or games. If I wanted these I would most definitely not go BlackBerry.

It was only after I bought the PlayBook that I found about the bridge. It was cheep and I didn't see any need for a tablet but it was cheep so I thought I might just see what all the fuss was about, oh yea, and it was cheep. Once I had the thing and found out about the bridge and tethering.... it was like a new world. I can throw it in the car and still be able to use the bigger screen and actually see orders, emails and spread sheets without hauling out the laptop, hooking up the cable, loading Tether up on phone and laptop, etc etc etc. The PlayBook is easier for the quick little stuff, add a mini keyboard and you have a nice little work station. It does not come close to a good laptop or desk top for the real meat and potatoes of a work day.

I have found it great for my couch browsing and light U Tube use. I have even watched a few movies on it. Not bad for that either. I think I will now always have a tablet for the sheer convenience.

I Really don't want a phablet, gansta bling, who da man, phone. I spit in the face of those who say "you aint in if you don't have this phone". That is why I stayed away from the rabid BlackBerry crowd in the early days. They made some of the Apple people almost look sane! Almost.

If BlackBerry tries to be all things to all people, with the stoggy old thinking that got them into this mess, they will simply bleed to death. If they use that stoggy old thinking and build back into a business oriented but not quite so heads in the sand, "we know better than our customers what they want"..... Sigh.... If they would actually read these posts, Fix the bridge..... Sigh.... all a waste of keystrokes. I think they are doing what Circuit City did to put themselves out of business, using a 15 year old business plan that was ground breaking but is now fatal.

Yes I would by BlackBerry products in the future, just as I would buy yours IF it fit my needs. I don't care who is on top, as long as they aren't on top of Me!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-13-13 07:43 PM
    I think this is the issue for me. I have a Torch with OS6, it does what I want/need it to do. I am not willing to give up business functionality for Skype, any kind of flicks, or games. If I wanted these I would most definitely not go BlackBerry.
    Yep, BlackBerry has no clue to what drives the consumer market. Their focus IMO is Goverment sales, and wanting to sell to big business in which I assume proprietary apps are custom made for the application.

It was only after I bought the PlayBook that I found about the bridge. It was cheep and I didn't see any need for a tablet but it was cheep so I thought I might just see what all the fuss was about, oh yea, and it was cheep. Once I had the thing and found out about the bridge and tethering.... it was like a new world. I can throw it in the car and still be able to use the bigger screen and actually see orders, emails and spread sheets without hauling out the laptop, hooking up the cable, loading Tether up on phone and laptop, etc etc etc. The PlayBook is easier for the quick little stuff, add a mini keyboard and you have a nice little work station. It does not come close to a good laptop or desk top for the real meat and potatoes of a work day.
    Several months? ago there was talk about BB releasing a new tablet- I bet that would have been anything but "cheap".

BlackBerry in my mind missed a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY, big time:
    (1) Low prices of the PlayBook contributed to thousands upon thousands, upon thousands of "first time buyers" of BlackBerry products. I would say a pretty hefty percentage of sales being driven by the promises made that the PlayBook would be upgraded to a current OS (BB10) with all that entails. (Translation a large percentage of persons that helped clear out all those DEAD PLAYBOOK STOCKS that had been previously sitting in warehouses UNSOLD for the 12-18 months prior... didn't really start selling till word got out about BB10 being on the horizon, and that the PlayBook would get it.
    (2) Providing the update would have generated app sales.
    (3) Providing the update would have generated sales of accessories to a greater degree, customer that carries the device with him is more likely to buy the full range of accessories.... than a customer who is not using the device. No reason for multiple desktop chargers if the device is just sitting in a drawer, the owner giving up long ago on it.
    (4) Providing the update would have basically "ignited" interest in the product.
    Heins is a ***** for saying tablets will be dead in 5yrs. As you mention above with the bigger screen and actually see orders, emails and spread sheets.

Not everyone has the eyesight of a 10yr. One thing I've been meaning to bring up is most people "in business" due to their age, or constant staring at computer screens have a problem with cell-phone sized displays!

Navigating ANYTHING via a cell phone sized display is a royal pain, that is unless you have PERFECT up-close eyesight, or are accustomed to bi/tri-focals.

I bet if we had a "poll" of people happy with little dinky screens you'd find this is the case. Heins is basing his statements about tablets on the way out I think due to something I read about the Asian Market. In the Asia market they indeed prefer cell phones to tablets.
    (Maybe it has something to do with their small stature to prefer smaller sized devices.)

BlackBerry in my mind missed a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY

If they would have DELIVERED BB10... (Or some MAJOR OS revamp)
    With 2.7 million PlayBooks out there @ just 1% being ecstatic over the update ... that would be like adding 27,000 SALESMEN to your SALESFORCE!

2.7 million PlayBooks @10%= 270,000 "happy" owners of a previously "forgotten" device, owners starved for BlackBerry to fix key issues that had plagued the device since day-one, those issues fixed and everything "shinny and new".

Those 270,000 people showing their "new" revamped PlayBook to all their friends and showing it off.
    This adding 27,000 SALESMEN to your SALESFORCE!

Instead BlackBerry kills it off.

I have found it great for my couch browsing and light U Tube use. I have even watched a few movies on it. Not bad for that either. I think I will now always have a tablet for the sheer convenience.
    Yep, but your next tablet won't be a Blackberry branded product.

I Really don't want a phablet, gansta bling, who da man, phone. I spit in the face of those who say "you aint in if you don't have this phone". That is why I stayed away from the rabid BlackBerry crowd in the early days. They made some of the Apple people almost look sane! Almost.
    I find a high percentage of people here get upset when you say negative things about BlackBerry.... Not surprising as as alot have stock, and or are financially linked to Blackberry doing good.

If BlackBerry tries to be all things to all people, with the stoggy old thinking that got them into this mess, they will simply bleed to death. If they use that stoggy old thinking and build back into a business oriented but not quite so heads in the sand, "we know better than our customers what they want"..... Sigh.... If they would actually read these posts, Fix the bridge..... Sigh.... all a waste of keystrokes. I think they are doing what Circuit City did to put themselves out of business, using a 15 year old business plan that was ground breaking but is now fatal.

Circuit City= What's that?

Same will be said of the BlackBerry device division... soon. Going from (4) to (2) providers, from 10 to 4 factories, laying off thousands , outsourcing support and the devices not selling well.

If Thor was gone would you buy a new up to date spec BB10 PlayBook??? And one more tricky question-bb-lost-jobs-hey-your-fired.png

What will live on is the expression:

"You've been BlackBerried"
    = Meaning you've been lead on, they told you one thing then went back on their word.

Yes I would by BlackBerry products in the future, just as I would buy yours IF it fit my needs. I don't care who is on top, as long as they aren't on top of Me!
    At the end of the day the success of any product depends on the numbers of people "happy" with the product. It is clear BlackBerry hasn't got a clue on appealing to masses that are in the market for a tablet. They definitely need to start LISTENING and being RESPONSIVE to CUSTOMERS concerns and wants.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 08-14-13 at 03:16 AM.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    08-14-13 02:54 AM
27 12