I have a 16gB Playbook that I bought when they were released. It still runs very well. It does most of the things I want it to but I would like something a little newer and a little bigger. It seems pretty evident that a PB2 is not in the cards anytime soon so my question is quite simple - what is the best alternative. By that I am thinking of size, weight, quality, reliability, usability and of course cost. My wife has made noises more than once about wanting an ipad and a lot of people I know have them. They do it all go the claims but they are pricey. The Samsung tablets, either 8.9 or 10" models sound pretty good. And now the Kindle Fire HDX 8.0 is being touted as the way to go. So. whats a fellow to do? I'm looking for suggestions and also advice on things I should be considering.

thanks for the help,

Pat
    03-12-14 09:07 AM
    The Kindle Fire HDX is reputed to be pretty darned good, and its back is easier to grip than some of the slick-bodied Samsungs. I think the HD is 8" and the HDX is actually 8.9,which is a nice size if you want larger. It is a nice design, and probably more like the PlayBook in feel, with a nice UI.

If you consider Samsung, the Note series with the S-Pen is a pretty handy feature. They are nice tabs, as well, with a pretty decent design.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 03-12-14 at 09:27 AM.
    Cynycl and Bigpoint like this.
    03-12-14 09:15 AM
    I wish that BlackBerry would allow us to install BB10 onto a Kindle Fire tablet =D

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    03-12-14 09:26 AM
    If your local wallymurt sells them, the Hisense Sero 7 pro is a good deal at $129.00. Quadcore, nice screen, HDMI out, SD card slot, Playstore access and it is simple to root to get rid of all the Googlie tracking crap. While you are there pick up a Chromecast. They make a great combo.
    BergerKing and Carl Estes like this.
    03-12-14 09:32 AM
    I would def recommend the Surface RT 1 as it is CHEAP to find nowadays and with RT 8.1 it rocks. I liked it so much that I went and got the Surface 2 with the better screen and 2 angle kick stand which I luv! this does everything I need and runs like 90% of a computer. the only thing it can't do is run legacy apps. so with that in mind and you don't mind that then the Surface RT is a perfect step up as I find it has almost the same "swipe" gestures as the playbook and it comes with 10" screen also has a full USB which I use all the time which is a bonus. you should goto youtube and watch a video by sean ong called "why I love my Surface RT" (which I think I posted somewhere on here) you'll be blown away on what this little tablet can do...
    03-12-14 11:32 AM
    Was in the same boat myself, yeh the PB was fun but wanted something better. Got an LG G Pad 8.3 - cheap as chips really and a great little device. It's not a PB but ok for tinkering with. Loads of decent reviews for these so I would recommend one of them.
    mh1983 likes this.
    03-17-14 08:43 AM
    I really love my Playbook but it was showing it's age so I had to upgrade also. I ordered the Dell Venue 11. It runs Windows and has I3 processor. I haven't got it yet. Will do update when rec'd.

Posted via CB10
    Bigpoint likes this.
    03-17-14 08:53 AM