Because of PB, I will not be a BB user for long. Just waiting for December when my contract is up so I can get a smart phone from a smart company.
    10-16-11 07:09 PM
    Because of PB, I will not be a BB user for long. Just waiting for December when my contract is up so I can get a smart phone from a smart company.
    Thanks for stopping by.
    10-16-11 09:42 PM
    Me too. I think the OP is very wrong and doesn't know much about BB's or the market.
    Not sure if you were referring to me or not. I have a very good grip on the market as well as what "smart phones" are expected to do these days. My very first "PDA" was an Apple Newton Pad. I have had virtually every palm pilot and PocketPC or whatever MS wanted to call their device for the day. I have been using smart phones since before they called them smart phones. If RIM is able to survive as an enterprise device company only that is fine. The "market" has decided that will not be good enough. The "Market" wants the security BB offers along with a smoother UI and options. RIM sees this and hopefully in time.
    10-16-11 11:18 PM
    But would you own one without the other? That's the original question, and an interesting one.
    I answered the question accurately.

As for your typical negative take on anything RIM, yes. I value security in the digital age and RIM is the best at it. Their phones are also famously durable. Their phones work very well. Their signal reception is second to none. Best portable communications device on the market and partnered with the PB all other competing devices are merely kids' stuff.
    10-16-11 11:25 PM
    Perhaps you mean a company that knows it's much smarter than you.
    10-16-11 11:28 PM
    i got my bb before my pb but now i seem to be using my pb more than my 9780
    MrBugMan likes this.
    10-16-11 11:35 PM
    I got the PlayBook because I was already a BlackBerry user and its power and hardware is second to none, really (waiting for some of the usual, popular apps, but I got an iPod touch if I really feel like playing games..).

I got the 9900 and am almost tempted to get the Torch 9810 if it comes to T-Mobile in November as some sites have suggested with the leaked roadmaps. I love my 9900 just as much as I loved my Pearl 8100 when I first got it in 2006. Sure the Pearl was totally different than the Sidekick 3 and Motorola SLVR I was using at the time, and at first it confused me (the adultness of a BlackBerry was kind of intimidating for someone just out of high school). But I quickly learned the ins and outs of the OS and there is just no other phone I would ever consider other than a full qwerty BlackBerry. I have the iPod touch (as of 2 days ago haha), it is as close as I will ever come to owning an iPod, it's fun, cool screen, but I could never imagine using essentially the same thing (iPhone) as a phone.

And when I use my PlayBook after being on the iPod touch, there are just things about QNX that I have just become "spoiled" by, and really hope RIM incorporates into the new BlackBerrys. The "flicking away" of the app windows when you're done? Brilliant. Nowhere to be found on iOS5. The speaker quality? The iPod touch speaker (brand new white one) is sh!t. I listen to Pandora on my 9900 or Slacker on the PB because their speakers boom. I love that on the PB, I can set the orientation mode to lock on landscape or portrait, perfect for reading on my side in bed...nowhere to be found on the iOS5 that is oh so shiny and new. Switching between open apps, a whole screen at a time (swiping from one bezel to the opposite)? Another feature that QNX has made me think of as standard, and sometimes I swipe my 9900 screen thinking it will do the same.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't see myself leaving RIM anytime soon/ever. I have had nothing but solid products from them, and everyone who has an iPhone or Android that gives me $hit for having a BlackBerry acts like RIM has a gun to my head, forcing me to buy their stuff. They don't. Like those dumb iPhone commercials .. "if you don't have an iPhone, you don't have your entire iTunes library on your phone." That's right. We don't. We don't have an iPhone or Android because WE don't want one. If we wanted one, we would have bought one long ago.
    Last edited by SK122387; 10-17-11 at 12:47 AM.
    MrBugMan likes this.
    10-17-11 12:45 AM
    I love that on the PB, I can set the orientation mode to lock on landscape or portrait, perfect for reading on my side in bed...nowhere to be found on the iOS5 that is oh so shiny and new.
    Double click on the home button and swipe right to reveal the ipod control icons. At the very left there is box with an arrow within it. Tap on that to lock the screen. It will only lock it in portrait mode, though.
    10-17-11 02:20 AM
    Double click on the home button and swipe right to reveal the ipod control icons. At the very left there is box with an arrow within it. Tap on that to lock the screen. It will only lock it in portrait mode, though.

Thank you so much! I'm glad to be proven wrong. Cool that I can get iPod info even on crackberry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 03:10 AM
    I had never owned a Blackberry until Playbook.
    10-17-11 03:42 AM
    Thank you so much! I'm glad to be proven wrong. Cool that I can get iPod info even on crackberry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Happy to help .

I have an iPhone4 and a PlayBook and although there are things which are a bit annoying on each platform, I really like this combo. I'll check out the QNX phones when my contract is up. I used to have a Pearl before switching back to an iPhone. I do miss that blinking light...
    10-17-11 03:51 AM
    This is the PlayBook brought me to BlackBerry world, and no regrets.

Last year watched PB announcement and decided that want this tablet - QNX, real multitasking, 7" form factor, etc. At the time was looking for upgrade, on my list was Android system, and was looking for a qwerty model. HTC Desire Z supposed to be my next smart phone (being before on Nokias, HTC WinMos and iPhones), but after the "decision" to have the PB, just was thinking going BB on tablet why not smartphone too.

At some point got the entry level Curve 3G 9300 with the idea not to make big investment if dont like the system or whatever on BB. It turned out I loved the form factor and the easy of use - not to mention battery life ... but after PB was on the market, followed by series of negative reviews was on the edge to go Android tablet, and smartphone later I guess.

Finally, being very confused by the combination of bad reviews about PB, and in general relatively very happy PB owners on CB, jumped in the dark - asked a friend to bring me the tablet from US in Jul. Early Aug had PB in my hands and loved it - and the Bridge is ... just awesome ... ... Well, few weeks later ended with Curve collecting dust and me playing with 9900 next to the PlayBook
    10-17-11 10:01 AM
    The more I use my PB, the more I like it, scratch that, love it. Stopped by BB over the weekend and looked at the iPad for ........ and giggles. Kept swipping the benzel and out of frustration remembered you have to go to that stupid home button for every thing. The PB is the most thought out tablet on the market by far!! Perhaps that is why RIM has been slammed so hard in reviews. How can something so well thought out have so many basic features and apps missing? Native Cal and Mail is NOT one of them. Even when native cal and mail is available, I will likely pass. I love the idea that if someone steals my PB or I forget it somewhere they have no access to my emails, cal and contacts. That is security at its best. If I wanted native cal and mail I would use my google cal. I have also found that my desire for a 4.5 inch screen phone has been all but squashed since I first posted this question. I however do prefer a touch screen phone over one with a physical keyboard. I found I was not using the physical keyboard on my HTC Touch Pro 7. In part because it had IMO the best soft keyboard of all phones, even the 9850.
    10-17-11 12:12 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD