Ok let's go...

You are really funny.

Thank for the compliment, the buying companies thing was indeed meant as a joke.

Do you think I will buy a blackberry os phone from Samsung with limited apps and without the name blackberry stamped on the hardware? If I wanted a Samsung phone, I'd have already purchased a Samsung phone. The blackberry handheld is popular worldwide for its ease of texting and for the business like feel and look not the crappy software it has.

Limited how, friend? If they license BB10, they get the whole BB10 ecosystem. By the standard you're setting, BlackBerry running WP8 would have limited apps (whatever you mean by that). You're not making a very strong case...

Secondly no where did I say RIM needs to not develop bb10 phones.

I never brough it up. Moot point.

What I'm suggesting is RIM needs to have a bait in its hooks, produce windows phones with BIS on a spectacular hardware, using its name to sell, and bring back its customers who liked RIM but left due to software issues, and then ride on that wave and continue to give out its bb os

WP8 with BIS. BIS is by design set to work with the aged OS RIM is ditching. That's ont of the reasons why they came up with Mobile Fusion. BB10 can't run on their network as it is. So, no, you can't really go that way either.
    I'm not bashing you, I'm just pointing out th flaws in your logic.

The point that you actually make is using other company to showcase the BlackBerry brand and get users back. That I agree with.

But the flaw in your logic is that showcasing hardware means nothing. When they come back, they will have to deal with the BB10 OS. That's where the user experience is. That's what has to be showcased.

Do you remember (or rather, did you know) that long ago, some phones OTHER than RIM's used BB OS (4.6 I think, but I may be wrong). Fact is, compared to what is out there, the current BB OS IS DATED. RIM has show people they can deliver a stelar user experience and a working ecosystem. How can they do that by adopting another OS?

And besides, i will say that it's not the BB hardware nor software, but the combination of the two that makes it the CrackBerry. One without the other wouldn't be the same or even the good half...
    Good point. RIM and Apple are the only two players right now that control the production from end to end. Licensing (either way you go about it RIM getting WP9 or BB10 being used by other hardware makers) will break this and we'll be prone to more compatibility and preformance issues.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-16-12 at 06:23 PM.
    08-16-12 06:19 PM
    Nice thought, but the only reason Sony etc will license bb10 is if it brings something new to the consumers especially seeing android is readily available and a cheap(free) alternative. I said windows because Microsoft is about to explode in their metro eco system, phone, console, tablet etc. That's what will sell next year and except bb10 is some out of space os, trust the media to ask the consumer why purchase bb10 when you can have iphone 5, android or windows phone.
    BBOS and BB TabletOS already bring something new to the table, complete itegration of a handheld device and a tablet (BlackBerry Bridge), BB10 will most likely improve on that, the idea of getting SONY onboard not only offers a solid, sorry, AWSOME hardware manufacturer but they also have immense software developpement potential aboard as well, to me it's a perfect match. TV's, consoles, tablet and phones OH MY!!
    08-16-12 06:25 PM
    So, instead of selling their software to make money and have BB10 on more phones by licensing it, you want them to pay royalty to MS and have MS software on their hardware?

Let me just let you in a secret... Hardware is not where the money is. Not anymore. That's why you keep hearing about the mysterious thing called "ecosystem"...
    Google and its hardware partners pay MS a royalty for every android device sold; it's not hurting them.

Hardware not where the money is? It's no secret that Samsung reported a $5.9 billion profit in March, selling nothing but hardware items -including, TVs, handsets, and DRAM chips better than anyone else.
    08-16-12 06:38 PM
    BBOS and BB TabletOS already bring something new to the table, complete itegration of a handheld device and a tablet (BlackBerry Bridge), BB10 will most likely improve on that, the idea of getting SONY onboard not only offers a solid, sorry, AWSOME hardware manufacturer but they also have immense software developpement potential aboard as well, to me it's a perfect match. TV's, consoles, tablet and phones OH MY!!
    And that's why it makes sense to get SONY/SAMSUNG into the BB10.

Ecosystem is the word.

Either that or RIM starts selling their own tvs, PCs and video games...

EDIT: Ok... License WP8. Make me a WP8 laptop with a BlackBerry logo that comes preloaded with Desktop Manager, all the BB10 dev tools and a set up copy of BESx. I'd SO buy that!

Google and its hardware partners pay MS a royalty for every android device sold; it's not hurting them.

Hardware not where the money is? It's no secret that Samsung reported a $5.9 billion profit in March, selling nothing but hardware items -including, TVs, handsets, and DRAM chips better than anyone else.
    It's no secret (now) that they didn't do half as well as they wanted people to believe either.

So yeah, let's math in the TVs RIM doesn't sell. Do keep in mind NUMBERS matter when it comes to making money purely out of hardware sales. RIM can't do those numbers alone.

PS: No royalty in the world will hurt Google's profit from their Android ecosystem. Google's partners though....
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-16-12 at 06:57 PM.
    08-16-12 06:38 PM
    And that's why it makes sense to get SONY/SAMSUNG into the BB10.

Ecosystem is the word.

Either that or RIM starts selling their own tvs, PCs and video games...

EDIT: Ok... License WP8. Make me a WP8 laptop with a BlackBerry logo that comes preloaded with Desktop Manager, all the BB10 dev tools and a set up copy of BESx. I'd SO buy that!
    Of course why wouldn't you buy it? Only if my playbook could run windows RT. All those bashing this idea are just joking. Fanboyism won't save RIM. It didn't take long for hardcover bb fanboys to ditch RIM to android and ios. What RIM needs is to stamp blackberry on a windows phone handset. They do not currently have the resources to be like apple, produce both software and hardware. They have a viable hardware and software business so I don't see why they cannot license bb10 to other vendors and profit in their software section and license in windows os and profit in their hardware division using the name they have already created for themselves.
    08-16-12 06:53 PM
    They have a viable hardware and software business so I don't see why they cannot license bb10 to other vendors and profit in their software section and license in windows os and profit in their hardware division using the name they have already created for themselves.
    You're telling me RIM has to license BB10 to other companies to make money WHILE paying to license WP8?

I was going to put the usual Picard's Facepalm here but...

I'm out of here.
    08-16-12 07:14 PM
    You're telling me RIM has to license BB10 to other companies to make money WHILE paying to license WP8?

I was going to put the usual Picard's Facepalm here but...

Click to view quoted image

I'm out of here.
    Why the facepalm? Samsung has their meego and their tizen and yet build android phones. This just shows that you aren't following the developments in the tech industry. Facepalm for you sir. And if you are so knowledgeable then what do you suggest RIM does? Put all their bets on bb10 and if that fails to succeed what next? Answer without giving a fanboys answer like. "bb10 can never fail"
    Last edited by ryder4587; 08-16-12 at 07:29 PM.
    08-16-12 07:25 PM
    Ok, one last try before I am out of here. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it.

Android is free so they can do that. Now, Meego and Tizen... Where did that get them? Or is the Galaxy series powered by Tizen? I think my poor following up with the tech news isto blame on this one.

What do I suggest? Getting a partner to license BB10 OS. But I do think I made it all clear. I agree with you when you say they can use some help getting people to like BlackBerry again. I just think your approach is harmful on the long run.

And oh, "bb10 can never fail". I never brough that up either. Your argument gets weaker by the minute...

Don't bother replying. I'm not coming back here.
    08-16-12 07:34 PM
    Speaking for myself, this has nothing to do with fanboyism, I am Canadian and would like this company to succeed, these are "ideas" just as yours, thrown up in the air. In reality i dont think a company that has done everything on it's own and until now, successfully, would go to a third party vendor, it doesn't make any sense when they already own QNX, unless perhaps it's a full Office version, I would welcome that with open arms.
    08-16-12 07:39 PM
    Ok, one last try before I am out of here. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it.

Android is free so they can do that. Now, Meego and Tizen... Where did that get them? Or is the Galaxy series powered by Tizen? I think my poor following up with the tech news isto blame on this one.

What do I suggest? Getting a partner to license BB10 OS. But I do think I made it all clear. I agree with you when you say they can use some help getting people to like BlackBerry again. I just think your approach is harmful on the long run.

And oh, "bb10 can never fail". I never brough that up either. Your argument gets weaker by the minute...

Don't bother replying. I'm not coming back here.
    You basically said nothing. It's people like you who bash other people's ideas without bringing anything to the table. Get a partner to license bb10? I asked what will happen if bb10 fails! No one will license a failed os. And yeah goodbye
    08-16-12 07:45 PM
    Speaking for myself, this has nothing to do with fanboyism, I am Canadian and would like this company to succeed, these are "ideas" just as yours, thrown up in the air. In reality i dont think a company that has done everything on it's own and until now, successfully, would go to a third party vendor, it doesn't make any sense when they already own QNX, unless perhaps it's a full Office version, I would welcome that with open arms.

The reason I'm writing with passion too is because I am Canadian too and I'm tired of the constant bashing of RIM in the southern media. I know that if bb10 fails, RIM might not be able to stand strong. I love qnx, and want to see it succeed, I also do not see anything wrong if blackberry forms a partnership with Microsoft and sells windows phone 8 and bb10 oses.
    08-16-12 07:50 PM
    All this discussion about Windows 8 reminded me that it is rumored that the Surface RT is going to be sold at $199.99 beginning on October 26th. I hope it is true, as this would be an incredible deal.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android

08-16-12 09:17 PM
    Microsoft announced no such thing. All that's going on is mere speculation.
    08-16-12 10:14 PM
    I don't think that's a good idea for RIM.

Firstly, WP8 has to be a big success, and frankly, I don't really see them selling a lot of phones. Yes, there will be millions sold, and yes there is a fanboybase, but if I look around me, nobody cares about Windows.
    When the Iphone was announced, people were talking about it, speculating what it could do and stuff. I haven't heard anyone talking about WP8 in real life.
    (Not the same for windows 8, but the only thing I hear about that is that it is way to confusing and people will stick to windows 7 as long as possible).
    So, without a big succes for WP8, RIM can't make money.

If WP8 however becomes a big succes, then they still won't make a lot of money, because then they have to sell hardware together with Nokia, HTC, Samsung and Microsoft itself (with the Surface), so there hardware have to be top notch, and I don't think that apart from their excellent keyboard their hardware is top notch.

RIM just need to get BB10 out and make profit with that.
    08-17-12 02:23 AM
    you are correct about this
    no longer in the hardware.
    so lets look at it from the software side.
    There are QNX machines that have been running for 15 years and has never shut down or restarted.
    All I will say about windows is "how long can you go with out shutting down or restarting your windows machines?"
    08-17-12 08:27 AM
    I don't think that's a good idea for RIM.

Firstly, WP8 has to be a big success, and frankly, I don't really see them selling a lot of phones. Yes, there will be millions sold, and yes there is a fanboybase, but if I look around me, nobody cares about Windows.
    When the Iphone was announced, people were talking about it, speculating what it could do and stuff. I haven't heard anyone talking about WP8 in real life.
    (Not the same for windows 8, but the only thing I hear about that is that it is way to confusing and people will stick to windows 7 as long as possible).
    So, without a big succes for WP8, RIM can't make money.

If WP8 however becomes a big succes, then they still won't make a lot of money, because then they have to sell hardware together with Nokia, HTC, Samsung and Microsoft itself (with the Surface), so there hardware have to be top notch, and I don't think that apart from their excellent keyboard their hardware is top notch.

RIM just need to get BB10 out and make profit with that.
    I think you have forgotten what makes blackberries sell. The reason people bought curves and bolds was never because of the software. Bbos 4.0-7.0 was clunky. People bought blackberries because of security, hardware and BBM. Developers don't even want to build for blackberry, bb10 might not have a decent navigation software which all phones come with. RIM is losing money trying to court developers. Do you know that any phone that doesn't come with any navigation software is likely to fail? All I'm saying is Microsoft is doing the dirty work to produce wp8 and I think RIM has a better name than Nokia in North America and some countries and can draw consumers to its side if it develops phones for wp8.
    08-17-12 09:15 AM
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i hope rim makes there own os and hardware licensed by rim
    08-17-12 03:22 PM
    Why the facepalm? Samsung has their meego and their tizen and yet build android phones. This just shows that you aren't following the developments in the tech industry. Facepalm for you sir. And if you are so knowledgeable then what do you suggest RIM does? Put all their bets on bb10 and if that fails to succeed what next? Answer without giving a fanboys answer like. "bb10 can never fail"

dont say things like that why would you want rim to fail?
    08-17-12 03:24 PM
    dont say things like that why would you want rim to fail?
    Wow, where did I say that?
    08-18-12 10:43 AM
    I think you have forgotten what makes blackberries sell. The reason people bought curves and bolds was never because of the software. Bbos 4.0-7.0 was clunky. People bought blackberries because of security, hardware and BBM. Developers don't even want to build for blackberry, bb10 might not have a decent navigation software which all phones come with. RIM is losing money trying to court developers. Do you know that any phone that doesn't come with any navigation software is likely to fail? All I'm saying is Microsoft is doing the dirty work to produce wp8 and I think RIM has a better name than Nokia in North America and some countries and can draw consumers to its side if it develops phones for wp8.
    That's simply YOUR opinion, but I don't think most people said I want this phone even thought the software sucks. Your looking back at history and revising it. BB 4.0 was clunky? Compared to what? What was the competition at that time that people chose BB over despite their software? App World sure has a lot of apps from devs that "don't produce for BB". And have you never heard of BB Maps and BB Traffic?
    diegonei and Bobcat665 like this.
    08-18-12 03:05 PM
    That's simply YOUR opinion, but I don't think most people said I want this phone even thought the software sucks. Your looking back at history and revising it. BB 4.0 was clunky? Compared to what? What was the competition at that time that people chose BB over despite their software? App World sure has a lot of apps from devs that "don't produce for BB". And have you never heard of BB Maps and BB Traffic?
    I preferred the os of windows mobile early oses to bb4.0, symbian was good on Nokia and I never craved a blackberry, all blackberry had was messaging and an appealing hardware. I just don't like arguing with fanboys. It's fanboyism that has placed RIM in the position it is today not realizing innovation and truth when they see it. That hardcore fanboyism is what caused the founders to have to step down
    Last edited by ryder4587; 08-18-12 at 06:43 PM.
    08-18-12 04:48 PM
    If not agreeing with your idea that's been brought up a 1000 times before makes me a "fanboy", then I guess the idea of discussion is moot

/unsubscribed
    08-18-12 06:11 PM
    If not agreeing with your idea that's been brought up a 1000 times before makes me a "fanboy", then I guess the idea of discussion is moot

/unsubscribed
    Yupp let it be moot! All I know is that the next os I'm getting is the windows phone os.I have an iphone and a blackberry and I know that I'm all for getting the windows phone os and i wish that there was a blackberry version as I'd buy it in a heartbeat. That it has been brought up a 1000 times shows that there are others smart like me that thinks that blackberry should pursue this venture.
    08-18-12 06:47 PM
    Yupp let it be moot! All I know is that the next os I'm getting is the windows phone os.I have an iphone and a blackberry and I know that I'm all for getting the windows phone os and i wish that there was a blackberry version as I'd buy it in a heartbeat. That it has been brought up a 1000 times shows that there are others smart like me that thinks that blackberry should pursue this venture.
    Later.....
    08-18-12 07:18 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD