Okay so I know that this has been said lots, but think about it, blackberry has a very respected name worldwide even so much more than Samsung in the phone industry. All that the company is lacking is a good software that is competitive and respected as a business device with apps that can deliver. I'm pretty sure that it needs no genius to suggest that blackberry needs to partner with Microsoft to deliver phones and tablets with a modified version of windows 8 with blackberry apps and bis security features. This would help keep blackberry afloat and nothing stops them from also working on blackberry 10 and offering more choices to the consumer. What are your thoughts?
    08-15-12 09:41 PM
    Okay so I know that this has been said lots, but think about it, blackberry has a very respected name worldwide even so much more than Samsung in the phone industry. All that the company is lacking is a good software that is competitive and respected as a business device with apps that can deliver. I'm pretty sure that it needs no genius to suggest that blackberry needs to partner with Microsoft to deliver phones and tablets with a modified version of windows 8 with blackberry apps and bis security features. This would help keep blackberry afloat and nothing stops them from also working on blackberry 10 and offering more choices to the consumer. What are your thoughts?
    It is a good idea but too late, ms has nokia already
    08-15-12 09:44 PM
    This makes no sense...

RIM has said time and time again, It is invested in BB10.

Right now BB10 has a better chance of doing well than the windows phones.

Maybe Microsoft should license BB10.
    08-15-12 09:47 PM
    This makes no sense...

RIM has said time and time again, It is invested in BB10.

Right now BB10 has a better chance of doing well than the windows phones.

Maybe Microsoft should license BB10.
    RIM is in no position to make demands I think. Putting all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea especially in the position RIM is at in the eye of the world. BB10 doing better is just a projection, we all want that but a backup plan is not a bad idea. RIM does need a game change.
    Last edited by ryder4587; 08-15-12 at 10:02 PM.
    08-15-12 09:52 PM
    Bahahahahahahahahahaha! Using the M$ software doesn't seem to be working out very well for Nokia right now...
    madman0141 likes this.
    08-15-12 10:01 PM
    Bahahahahahahahahahaha! Using the M$ software doesn't seem to be working out very well for Nokia right now...
    Haha while that is true, windows phone 7 is only a shadow of what windows phone 8 will be. Nokia was never really very successful in North America in the first place, it's market share came mostly from the International market. I think blackberry can do for Microsoft what Samsung is doing for Google with Android. RIM is paying and spending lots of funds it doesn't have developing blackberry 10 when it can use the work of Microsoft, improve on it, and reap the benefits while also pushing and enhancing its blackberry 10 os. I see it as a double win
    08-15-12 10:08 PM
    08-15-12 10:13 PM
    The only chance RIM has is to stand out is to have something unique at launch... otherwise it is simply one of many Android or WP7/8 devices released every month...... it will easily get lost and the crowd and give RIM haters more ammo.....
    Bobcat665, deswayze and kozmo68 like this.
    08-15-12 10:17 PM
    Thanks for bringing nothing to the table bobcat. Yes we all want blackberry to win, we want blackberry 10 to succeed but the media is against blackberry right now, and most consumer money is wherever the mouth of the media is, what blackberry possesses is a strong name and a great past success. If the media discounts blackberry 10 the name of blackberry will be severely tarnished. I say build a windows phone 8 phone and stamp the name blackberry on it. The media will for sure have little or nothing to complain about and if windows phone 8 is a big success blackberry will for sure ride with it while still optimizing bb 10. Nothing stops them from making more than one software. They are also a very good hardware company.
    08-15-12 10:23 PM
    Thanks for bringing nothing to the table bobcat......
    I brought "nothing" to this thread because this is a USELESS discussion. There's something here that you're NOT GETTING. The money and profitability is no longer in the hardware. IT'S IN THE SOFTWARE AND SERVICES! RIM will never return to profitability IF they make hardware to run another software platform on...

Made in flanders and kozmo68 like this.
    08-15-12 11:02 PM
    RIM is paying and spending lots of funds it doesn't have developing blackberry 10
    Spending funds they dont have? They are nice in the green to make this investment in itself.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    08-16-12 10:11 AM
    Spending funds they dont have? They are nice in the green to make this investment in itself.
    Nice in the green to make the investment? Is that sarcasm or what?
    08-16-12 03:49 PM
    And how long do you think it would take to now completely change course and start over again? You don't just run the WinPhone_install.exe and it will morph onto a new piece of hardware. How long do you think the upcoming producers of Win8 phones have been working on their offerings? Do you think this move would shorten the delay they are having with BB10 already?

When you start attaching parts to parts to make a whole, you end up like Frankenstein's monster. The reason they delayed BB10 is to hide all the stitch marks in their creation.

I would like a Corvette with a Ferrari V-12, Jaguar interior and the infotainment system from Cadillac. Somebody slap that together right away. Thanks.
    08-16-12 04:07 PM
    And how long do you think it would take to now completely change course and start over again? You don't just run the WinPhone_install.exe and it will morph onto a new piece of hardware. How long do you think the upcoming producers of Win8 phones have been working on their offerings? Do you think this move would shorten the delay they are having with BB10 already?

When you start attaching parts to parts to make a whole, you end up like Frankenstein's monster. The reason they delayed BB10 is to hide all the stitch marks in their creation.

I would like a Corvette with a Ferrari V-12, Jaguar interior and the infotainment system from Cadillac. Somebody slap that together right away. Thanks.
    It is far easier, and will be more profitable in the long run to install winphone_install.exercise than bringing out bb10 and the whole world disses it. Samsung has about four to five mobile oses in its coffer to stay viable, it's betting big on android because it is more popular at the moment than any other os. Samsung is still in the works to produce a windows phone despite the large market share it has producing android phone. All I'm saying is RIM shouldn't bet all its eggs on bb10. The world's media are just waiting to pounce on it, companies are circling around it to tear RIM apart. It needs a viable game change!
    08-16-12 04:31 PM
    OP: under which rock have you been living for the last year?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    08-16-12 04:50 PM
    Good out-of-the box thinking, Ryder. The prospect of running Windows 7 or 8 on my first-class-hardware PlayBook64 is very appealing. I purchased a Kindle Fire this week, having given up on a straight-loaded PlayBook Kindle app; and, my next tablet will likely run Windows 8. Even the Fire has a better browser than my PB. As it stands, my PB will be greeting a new owner soon, absent a game-changing move such as this one.
    ryder4587 likes this.
    08-16-12 05:10 PM
    It might be easier for RIM to team up with another company but really I don't think that will happen unless RIM breaks up into different independent sectors. It may be a good thing I don't know.
    08-16-12 05:11 PM
    So, instead of selling their software to make money and have BB10 on more phones by licensing it, you want them to pay royalty to MS and have MS software on their hardware?

Let me just let you in a secret... Hardware is not where the money is. Not anymore. That's why you keep hearing about the mysterious thing called "ecosystem"...
    Bobcat665 and mrpink73 like this.
    08-16-12 05:28 PM
    It might be easier for RIM to team up with another company but really I don't think that will happen unless RIM breaks up into different independent sectors. It may be a good thing I don't know.
    I really don't want RIM to break up, but I think that RIM has a good R &. D team in the hardware section to keep its business afloat and design a compelling device for a well known software that developers are willing to work with. I don't see why RIM insists on having only its own OS. It can implement the advantages of blackberry enterprise on windows phone 8 and still continue development of blackberry 10 presenting two flavors to the consumer. If bb10 fails, not only the software investment fails, The hardware investment also goes down the drain.
    08-16-12 05:28 PM
    So, instead of selling their software to make money and have BB10 on more phones by licensing it, you want them to pay royalty to MS and have MS software on their hardware?

Let me just let you in a secret... Hardware is not where the money is. Not anymore. That's why you keep hearing about the mysterious thing called "ecosystem"...
    There is profit also in hardware and hardware partnerships. Are you saying that Samsung will gain nothing from being the top provider of windows phone 8 devices? Or it doesn't take in profit from its current android phones? I never said that RIM shouldn't develop bb10, all I'm saying is it should offer choices to consumer and rake in profit wherever it can.
    08-16-12 05:35 PM
    There is profit also in hardware and hardware partnerships. Are you saying that Samsung will gain nothing from being the top provider of windows phone 8 devices? Or it doesn't take in profit from its current android phones? I never said that RIM shouldn't develop bb10, all I'm saying is it should offer choices to consumer and rake in profit wherever it can.
    "We don't have the resourses to produce in mass quantities" said good ol' Thor. So yeah. No profit in the hardare business unless you can overflow the market with dozens of phones per second.

And we know RIM can't do that.

RIM needs to save money, not spend MORE money paying MS to use their software. The other way works though. Get Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, LG, ANYONE to put BB10 on their phones. RIM will make money on every single unit sold AND still be able to make money on their own hardware. Do keep in mind that Samsung is paying NOTHING to use Android.

I tell you what. We get rich, each of us buy a company and then we see which of us do better.
    mrpink73 likes this.
    08-16-12 05:42 PM
    "We don't have the resourses to produce in mass quantities" said good ol' Thor. So yeah. No profit in the hardare business unless you can overflow the market with dozens of phones per second.

And we know RIM can't do that.

RIM needs to save money, not spend MORE money paying MS to use their software. The other way works though. Get Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, LG, ANYONE to put BB10 on their phones. RIM will make money on every single unit sold AND still be able to make money on their own hardware. Do keep in mind that Samsung is paying NOTHING to use Android.

I tell you what. We get rich, each of us buy a company and then we see which of us do better.
    You are really funny. Do you think I will buy a blackberry os phone from Samsung with limited apps and without the name blackberry stamped on the hardware? If I wanted a Samsung phone, I'd have already purchased a Samsung phone. The blackberry handheld is popular worldwide for its ease of texting and for the business like feel and look not the crappy software it has. Secondly no where did I say RIM needs to not develop bb10 phones. What I'm suggesting is RIM needs to have a bait in its hooks, produce windows phones with BIS on a spectacular hardware, using its name to sell, and bring back its customers who liked RIM but left due to software issues, and then ride on that wave and continue to give out its bb os
    Last edited by ryder4587; 08-16-12 at 05:56 PM.
    08-16-12 05:49 PM
    RIM needs to do the complete opposite, they have to continue to produce good hardware albeit in a reduced manner (less models, enterprise devices), develop BB10, market it and approach other hardware companies and license their OS, I saw SONY mentioned in an article, could you imagine BB10 powered SONY hardware, that would blow everything out of the water, the new WalkMan. That's my thoughts.
    08-16-12 05:54 PM
    RIM needs to do the complete opposite, they have to continue to produce good hardware albeit in a reduced manner (less models, enterprise devices), develop BB10, market it and approach other hardware companies and license their OS, I saw SONY mentioned in an article, could you imagine BB10 powered SONY hardware, that would blow everything out of the water, the new WalkMan. That's my thoughts.
    Nice thought, but the only reason Sony etc will license bb10 is if it brings something new to the consumers especially seeing android is readily available and a cheap(free) alternative. I said windows because Microsoft is about to explode in their metro eco system, phone, console, tablet etc. That's what will sell next year and except bb10 is some out of space os, trust the media to ask the consumer why purchase bb10 when you can have iphone 5, android or windows phone.
    Last edited by ryder4587; 08-16-12 at 06:07 PM.
    08-16-12 06:03 PM
    I really don't want RIM to break up, but I think that RIM has a good R &. D team in the hardware section to keep its business afloat and design a compelling device for a well known software that developers are willing to work with. I don't see why RIM insists on having only its own OS. It can implement the advantages of blackberry enterprise on windows phone 8 and still continue development of blackberry 10 presenting two flavors to the consumer. If bb10 fails, not only the software investment fails, The hardware investment also goes down the drain.
    These aren't modules that you connect together like Legos. You can't just apply the BES infrastructure designed to work with BBOS to a completely different phone OS. That is the problem they are having with BB10. If you think this is so simple and they can do it in their spare time while still being "laser-focused" on delivering BB10, then you're not dealing with the reality of the phone industry. RIM has neither the time nor extra resources to start a folly like this, IMO.

And besides, i will say that it's not the BB hardware nor software, but the combination of the two that makes it the CrackBerry. One without the other wouldn't be the same or even the good half...
    08-16-12 06:10 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD