09-04-12 01:01 PM
78 123 ...
tools
    Hello guys & gals,

I have a BB phone and want to get a tablet, so my first inclination is to get a Playbook - but why should I pick it over, say, an Android tablet?

This is not an obtuse question, I genuinely want to find out what makes a PB so essential for BB fans. My 9360 is the first BB I have ever owned and I will not be going back to any other make unless there is a seriously compelling reason.

I will be using my PB for social media, I blog a lot and am also a writer so is this something the PB would be able to handle? How will my BB pair with my PB and will they be seamlessly synced once paired up? Is the media output good? Is the video in HD, for example?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit lame but with 64gb PBs at 129 at PC World, I do not want to miss out.

Any help you can give me would be really appreciated.

Regards
    Stuart
    09-01-12 11:09 AM
    Welcome to the PB board.

If I were you, I'd list my needs down, then see which tablets would meet those needs and the decide which of them carried most value to you.

Then, when you had only two options, it would be okay to come here and ask "guys, compared to tablet x doing y and z, how does the PlayBook fair? It's the only thing I need to know before I get one".

So, a more direct answer to your question : PB will run BB10 and is priced 129. Most the stuff you asked is in spec sheet all over. It has a powerful browser, Word to Go and a Wordpress app (blogging covered). It does not sync with your phone, but allows you to access that data over Bridge, it syncs with gmail/yahoo though. It records in 1080p.

So, like I said, do some research on it. It will be worth it.
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-01-12 at 11:20 AM.
    Zildjian71 and randomkidsrule like this.
    09-01-12 11:14 AM
    You should buy a pb because it will and does do what you want out of it and you love it.

Bridge doesn't hurt either since you have a bb. Get what works for you now and not what is expected. I do expect the pb version of bb10 to be dang awesome though.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    09-01-12 11:20 AM
    Thanks fellas.....I appreciate the quick response. I will do as you suggested diegonei & come up with some examples of what I would use it for and do some more investigation. I appreciate the help chaps, thank you.
    09-01-12 11:28 AM
    I can tell you the best features I like about my PB BB combo:

1. BB bridge: yes you set it once and forget about it, then you will have internet access all the time, automatically switching between bridge and wifi if avaliable.
    2. Screen: PB screen is bright and gorgeous! Pixel density is ~170 pixels per inch. Way better then IPAD 2.
    3. Gesture: Simple but effective and nature. You will get it in 10 minutes, and a few days later you will find yourself swiping your finger on your spouse's ipad and puzzled why nothing happens.
    4. Multi tasking: you will show off this feature to your friends all the time. The app switching becomes a pleasure instead of a pain.
    5. 7" form factor. You may fit it in your pocket (uncomfortable but works) or a hand bag in you are a lady. The bottom line is the portability, the industry is just beginning to catch up.
    6. price point and future BB10 free upgrade

Another thing you may hear quite often is the "poor" app selection of PB. Honest I do feel that way 6 monthes ago, but not anymore. In the recent 6 months the app world has grown exponentially. I have gone from complaining about apps, to be crazy about sideloaded apps, to not really care about sideloaded apps any more. So it's fair to say that PB's app selection is smaller than other ecosystems, but it's not poor any more... for me anyway.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by aha; 09-01-12 at 12:25 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-01-12 11:57 AM
    As a blogger/writer, I think that you'll appreciate the true multitasking abilities of the PlayBook. It's useful to have the browser, word processor, and WordPress open and be able to switch from app to app seamlessly and without the risk of any app closing while you're using the others.

As others have mentioned, Bridge is the killer aspect as far as I'm concerned. With Bridge, you can access the internet using your phone's 3G, you can type on your PB using your BlackBerry's keyboard, and you can even use your BlackBerry's screen as a trackpad to navigate on your PB.

For my blogging/on-the-road setup, I pair the PB with the Apple Wireless Keyboard from my iMac (but any bluetooth keyboard will work...mice also). I got an Incase Origami Case for the keyboard also.

For your social media needs, I've read on these forums that the PB browser is one of the most standards compliant browsers available on tablets, so accessing links and websites should be easy to do. My personal experience validates this, but I'm not a big social media person so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    09-01-12 11:58 AM
    If you get a playbook over an i paid , you will have $400 extra in your pocket to use for upgrade when the BB10 phones come out.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-01-12 12:17 PM

I will be using my PB for social media, I blog a lot and am also a writer so is this something the PB would be able to handle? How will my BB pair with my PB and will they be seamlessly synced once paired up? Is the media output good? Is the video in HD, for example?
    I found thumb typing on PB in portrait mode suits my hand size really well, and auto prediction and auto correction are awesome on PB.

And did I mention 1080p video capturing and playback support and 169.3 pixels per inch pixel density? it is bright and gorgeous for media output under sunlight.

If you decide to get PB, I would suggest you upgrade your OS to 2.1.0.840. It is called beta but it's very stable and performs much better than the official version. I even think the only reason they have't release this is because they are so focused on BB10 and get no resource to release it at the moment.

The BB10 is going to be a free upgrade for PB, there will be even more apps and features when it's available.

09-01-12 12:18 PM
    I can tell you the best features I like about my PB BB combo:

1. BB bridge: yes you set it once and forget about it, then you will have internet access all the time, automatically switching between bridge and wifi if avaliable.
    2. Screen: PB screen is bright and gorgeous! Pixel density is almost as good as retina display. Way better then IPAD 2.
    3. Gesture: Simple but effective and nature. You will get it in 10 minutes, and a few days later you will find yourself swiping your finger on your spouse's ipad and puzzled why nothing happens.
    4. Multi tasking: you will show off this feature to your friends all the time. The app switching becomes a pleasure instead of a pain.
    5. 7" form factor. You may fit it in your pocket (uncomfortable but works) or a hand bag in you are a lady. The bottom line is the portability, the industry is just beginning to catch up.
    6. price point and future BB10 free upgrade

Another thing you may hear quite often is the "poor" app selection of PB. Honest I do feel that way 6 monthes ago, but not anymore. In the recent 6 months the app world has grown exponentially. I have gone from complaining about apps, to be crazy about sideloaded apps, to not really care about sideloaded apps any more. So it's fair to say that PB's app selection is smaller than other ecosystems, but it's not poor any more... for me anyway.

Everything here is subjective and your personal opinion, which is fine...except for this:
    Screen: PB screen is bright and gorgeous! Pixel density is almost as good as retina display. Way better then IPAD 2.

In no way, can you compare a 1024*600 7" screen to a "retina" display. ~170PPI is not even close to "retina" quality. The playbook screen is below average when compared to almost anything else out there right now.
    09-01-12 12:20 PM
    Everything here is subjective and your personal opinion, which is fine...except for this:
    Screen: PB screen is bright and gorgeous! Pixel density is almost as good as retina display. Way better then IPAD 2.

In no way, can you compare a 1024*600 7" screen to a "retina" display. ~170PPI is not even close to "retina" quality. The playbook screen is below average when compared to almost anything else out there right now.
    You are partly right about the pixel density, corrected in my post.

But you were wrong by saying that everything in my post is subjective.

sent from my PB with tapatalk 2
    09-01-12 12:28 PM
    It is like that old HP TouchPad 99$ craze again..
    The simplest answer is "Research"..
    Does the PB do what you want it to do for you?
    1. Yes -> Go ahead buy it..
    2. No -> Do NOT buy it listening to others.. (This usually results in a new forum thread reading "The PB has no Skype.. It suxs" etc.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-01-12 12:29 PM
    Hi stuey. I wont repeat what everyone else is saying, i notice youre in the uk and have a bb 9630, same as me,its a very good combination, specially when using as a remote, you can go to tvcatchup.com and watch all the freeview chanels in the uk, the remote works great for changing chanels, adjusting volume, switching between apps etc, like i say, a very good combo.

Cheers
    diegonei and StueyMac40 like this.
    09-01-12 12:30 PM
    If you want a solid tablet for actually doing serious work on, the BlackBerry Playbook is a great choice. It has a flexible file system that does not restrict what files you can put on there, and therefore you can use it like you would a desktop computer. It has the ability to watch and play and enjoy Flash content still, and it has quite a robust operating system, even with its quirks and bugs...

But don't get the 4G LTE one, you might not be able to get through even half a day with it...
    09-01-12 12:37 PM
    The best reason would be the bridge function while Blogging you can use the keyboard on the blackberry to type in the programs on the playbook real time. No other tablet can do that with a phone.
    StueyMac40 likes this.
    09-01-12 12:38 PM
    For what you are doing (media playback/social media/blogging) it will work well. There are other sorts of uses (audio/video editing, mind mapping, outlining, etc.) where the software choices would be poor or nonexistent. This may improve with BB10, but we won't know until next year.

Since you own a BlackBerry phone, Bridge will be a big plus.

The screen is excellent. It is the same resolution as most 7" tablets but is very bright. prefer it to the higher resolution screen on the Nexus 7. The speakers are the best I have heard on a tablet. You can play back 1080p video through the HDMI port.

The build quality is excellent and I love the 7" form factor.
    09-01-12 12:45 PM

So WRONG when it comes to outdoor use. As you can see in my profile above, I also have a Ipad 3 and an Asus Infinity Pad TF700...neither are as good as the PlayBook in sunlight. The PlayBook has a maximum screen brightness of 587 cd/m2 compared to the Ipad 3's 477...and my Asus, even with its best in the Android class Super IPS and better than the Ipad 3 screen is not as good in sunlight as the Playbook. I know of no tablet with a higher cd/m2 than the PlayBook...most do not even come close to being as bright.
    Last edited by nextcity; 09-01-12 at 01:35 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-01-12 01:33 PM
    From my experience I would say the pb would be a let down the keyboard is no where as good as the iPad nor is the screen quality. Also the new iPad multi tasks fine and social experience is very good and flowing unlike pb. Also the range of apps far out does the rim store as well with and app for about everything you could think of plus more. Also the battery life on the pb is dismal some will say its great but it isn't. The playbook is good for the money but that's it. Even the nexus would be a better option than the pb. It's out dated and dying. Ask urs elf why they are so cheap.
    09-01-12 01:35 PM
    I have the 64 GB playbook ( since January) and the 16 GB Nexus 7 ( about a month). I prefer the playbook for most things and think that the screen quality although at slightly lower pixel density is more pleasing. The PB can take decent pictures and videos at three different resolutions with its rear facing camera while the Nexus7 only has a front facing camera. Both do bluetooth keyboard and mouse but only the PB has HDMI. If you want the Android and Google services the N7 may have the advantage. Google seems maybe a little too intrusive to me. If you want to wait there will be more offerings including the, perhaps 7.85", Apple mini in a short time. Be sure you like the size i.e. 7" compared to 9 or 10" before you spend what you consider big bucks. Personally I think you should jump at the chance to get a BBPB at some of the prices I see quoted.
    09-01-12 01:37 PM
    Bought mine to play .mp3 files. Does a ton of other stuff as well. The interface is very nice. Nice browser. Great speakers. Today loaded up some emulators and fired up all the early video games from when they were new 30 years ago. PB does a zillion things. If it does what you want get it. Pretty much the best $248 I ever spent on a piece of tech and I am buying more.
    StueyMac40 likes this.
    09-01-12 01:57 PM
    Newbie here...I bought a 64GB Playbook on thursday here in the UK,had a problem getting the likes of youtube/bbc iplayer to work but this was down to it not liking my older WEP router security,changed to WPA2 and it is working great.What can i say,its brilliant,really pleased with it....in fact so good i bought another today

To the original poster, go out and buy one,the Currys offer @129 ($204) for the 64GB is a super deal thats why i bought 2.
    In response to some comments in this thread..battery life,i got 10 hours (a mixture of watching videos and browsing) out of mine yesterday......screen quality,i think for the price its amazing especially the hd stuff,also quite impressed with the sound quality,browsing is nice and smooth,overall its well worth the money.
    Oddly the first took forever to do a 500mb OS upgrade...the second was up and running in a few minutes with just a 30mb update,it must have been from a later batch.
    09-01-12 02:17 PM
    If you want a tablet for viewing web pages, some reading, and games you cannot do better than the pb at its current price point.
    The ecosystem is sorely lacking in communications and professional tools as well as run of the mill apps for banking, ect ect. If this is what you were after look elsewhere.
    Don't buy it for BB10. If it doesn't suit your needs now it probably won't when the new OS hits either.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-01-12 02:18 PM
    No question, you must buy the Playbook!

I blog too and have a BB Torch 9810, so they mate together beautifully. Bridge is great, the Playbook browser works well for blogging and uploading/downloading pictures and other media.

Video playback is excellent, clean, super fast, and I can use my Playbook to watch downloaded movies, Youtube, podcasts, or any other web-media on my HDTV with a $5 micro-HDMI to regular HMDI dongle!

Oh, and sitting on the couch remote-controlling it from my bridged BB phone!

Don't walk.... RUN!!! The Playbook is amazing!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    09-01-12 02:21 PM
    The OP is asking "why should he buy a playbook?"
    NOT "why should he buy an Ipad?"
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-01-12 02:22 PM
    The OP is asking "why should he buy a playbook?"
    NOT "why should he buy an Ipad?"
    No he asked if he should get a pb or go with something else.
    09-01-12 02:29 PM
    The OP also mentioned android. No mention of iPad at all. I think the OP isn't even considering the iPad at the current prices.

Now that could all change with the iPad mini. But since the OP also said they own a BB phone already, and has made clear they are looking for specific uses (blogging and watching videos) then any cheap tablet would do.

The Playbook is a deal now and very capable. If you install V-Lingo on your phone, you can "say" your blog postings.... Because it has the option to convert your speech to text and put it into your clipboard, and with your Playbook bridged you can easily paste it into your Playbook browser when logged in and editing your blog.

(I will have to make a video of this and post it to my own blog! That just gave me an idea!)

You can't go wrong with the Playbook for NOW. But in 2-3 years you will have a huge selection and the market may be completely turned upside down again... Tablets will be even cheaper. You have to buy something TODAY and the Playbook offers great value to existing BB users for sure.

Yes you have to compromise on some app availability, so if there are any MUST HAVE apps that you cannot find on the PB and see no work-arounds, well then you won't get a PB. But I have yet to find anything I couldn't work "around" or find either an alternative app or another way to do it.

All depends on what you are planning to do and what you anticipate over the lifespan of how long you want to use the device.

What is funny is people who shell out $500 for a brand new iPad and all they do is surf the web, read some books, watch a movie and play Angry Birds.... when any cheap tablet will do, or even a much more capable laptop/netbook.

You can always wait a few more months and see Microsoft Surface, iPad mini and a pile of Android tablets compare. But the waiting game never ends.... There will always be something cheaper and better coming..... When do you take a bite??? :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    StueyMac40, bungaboy, aha and 2 others like this.
    09-01-12 02:47 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD