Flash, built in. Watch any Site the way it is made to be
    09-03-12 12:55 AM
    I purchased my Playbook on day 1...$537 , and id pay it again. That was a small amount for the vids of family memories, pics of my work, browsing n my poetry using docs to go ......the list goes on. I've built a strong Playbook following from people seeing wat it cn do. I loved this thing even when App World "was" bare n no native email. This brings me to my selling point now. 2.0 was like getting a free new tablet. 2.1will probably slightly feel that way too. BB10 will be a new tablet all over again. Blackberry gave me my money's worth at $499 because the updates keep things fresh. Blackberry4Lyfe^
    09-03-12 01:15 AM
    If you are going to use your playbook as a social media device as in Facebook... Get a play book... The Android Facebook app is slow compared to the play book Facebook app since RIM makes the app...
    Flash is good to have too since flash is still used in blogging, and you can always be connected to the Internet on the playbook via bridge..

Also, I the playbook is over a year old and it will keep receiving software support from RIM because it is going to get BB10!!
    Last edited by hyunjin126; 09-03-12 at 01:48 AM.
    09-03-12 01:44 AM
    If you want a tablet for viewing web pages, some reading, and games you cannot do better than the pb at its current price point.

The ecosystem is sorely lacking in communications and professional tools as well as run of the mill apps for banking, ect ect. If this is what you were after look elsewhere.

Don't buy it for BB10. If it doesn't suit your needs now it probably won't when the new OS hits either.

This exactly.

First let me start by saying I am a passionate BB fan and LOVE every BB I have had and believe in RIM and BB's are exactly the sort of device I want for my mobile. So I'm NOT trolling here.

My birthday was last week. My wife, knowing I have been wanting a tablet and knowing how much i love my BB decided to buy me the 64G PB as a gift.

Tomorrow I will drive to the Office Depot store and return it.

Why?

Because of the quoted statement above AND:
    1- A flash that's built into the PB that doesn't actually work.
    Imagine my surprise when I'm told that, that's by design and at some point a software update will allow it to. Seriously!? Why put it on there and not allow its use? Could I be the only person who takes photos in less than ideal light settings?

2- Regardless of how others feel about it, TO ME it is not intuitive. My BB 9900 is but this tablet is not.
    The Browser is of particular note. Opening a site in another browser takes a lengthy finger press to bring up the selection and if you have multiple browser windows open and you "x out" or close one, they all close. meaning when you touch the X to close that "new tab" you opened the, all browser windows close.

3- Spam.
    There is No Option to mark a message as spam. my research suggests that people rely on their email server such as Gmail etc to filter that out. Seriously?! That's absurd. Why is it absurd? Because not all of us use Gmail and their supposed wonderfully efficient spam blocker.
    And what if something slips through? Now I will still have to log into Gmail and mark it as spam because I can't just mark it as such on my PB. To me this is a fundamental basic option (like a flash for the camera) that seems counter intuitive.

These are just a couple observations from just a short amount of ownership but added to the fact of few truly useful or dynamic apps mine is going back to the store.

What I do like however is its size, feel, sound, screen visual and the image quality of the photos I took in good light and of course the Price..

Sorry folks but for me, PB falls short. Which is a disappointment by its self because of how much I like my BB. I guess I was wanting more.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-03-12 08:38 AM
    Another useful thread going downhill because people can't be objective and focus on what the OP asked.

Half the posts here are trollbait and he OP already deviced on getting it. Move on guy. This isn't "bash your your less liked tablet", nor "defend the PlayBooks honor".
    09-03-12 09:56 AM
    to quickly answer your question you should buy playbook because it is premium tablet sold for dirty cheap money and it is a lot of fun to own.

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    09-03-12 10:10 AM
    My first tablet was a 10" Android device and it was quite nice... lots of apps... lots of games.... lots of fun.
    I picked up a pair of PlayBooks for my GF and myself about a year ago. We're both BB phone owners, so it made sense to buy them during the "Back to School" promo they were running.

Now the PlayBook is not for everyone, but I can attest that they are the right tablets for us!

The 7" form factor is far more convenient than the larger devices and the gesture based interface is intuitive and a pleasure to use. A first time PB owner can become proficient in minutes. The unified email application is incredible, combining one stop shopping for corporate and personal email accounts, and with BlackBerry "Balance", the corporate email and calendar meet all of my employer's security requirements.

Social media is very nice on the PB... the native apps are well designed and execute smoothly.

My GF travels extensively for her job, so the PB Video Chat is our absolute favorite tool. The video and audio quality is exceptional by comparison to other such apps. This app alone has been worth the price of the PB's for us.

The pool of native and Android apps available for the PB has become impressive and continues to grow despite concerns over RIM's future.

I suppose I could ramble on ad nauseum about the things that make the PB right for us, but I'll spare you the bandwidth

I end by saying that we've bought PlayBooks for most of our family members and from 18 to 85 year old, they're all delighted with them.

Cheers!
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-03-12 01:31 PM
    Another useful thread going downhill because people can't be objective and focus on what the OP asked.

Half the posts here are trollbait and he OP already deviced on getting it. Move on guy. This isn't "bash your your less liked tablet", nor "defend the PlayBooks honor".
    This is how internet forum works diego. People come into a conversation at the time of their choosing, doesn't matter how the conversation develops. Forum conversations aren't the most efficient form of communication by itself, it doesn't matter who is participating
    09-03-12 02:22 PM
    Hello guys & gals,

I have a BB phone and want to get a tablet, so my first inclination is to get a Playbook - but why should I pick it over, say, an Android tablet?

This is not an obtuse question, I genuinely want to find out what makes a PB so essential for BB fans. My 9360 is the first BB I have ever owned and I will not be going back to any other make unless there is a seriously compelling reason.

I will be using my PB for social media, I blog a lot and am also a writer so is this something the PB would be able to handle? How will my BB pair with my PB and will they be seamlessly synced once paired up? Is the media output good? Is the video in HD, for example?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit lame but with 64gb PBs at �129 at PC World, I do not want to miss out.

Any help you can give me would be really appreciated.

Regards
    Stuart
    As another writer I find that the ease of use and the inherent stability of the OS compelling and I'm using the Playbook 16G model. I have it paired to an excellent yet inexpensive Bluetooth Keyboard/Case and use a Dell Bluetooth Travel Mouse. Configured like this I seldom take my laptop with me unless I'm swamped with heavy-duty writing deadlines. Its word processing Apps work flawlessly for me.

At the prices available right now a 64G PB with BT keyboard and Mouse comes in at about $200. Hard to beat and I really can't think of anything you'll be sacrificing.
    StueyMac40 likes this.
    09-03-12 02:44 PM
    Well folks, your advice and information really helped and I am typing this message from my brand new, dirt cheap, 64gb PlayBook!!!!

I know I will have loads of questions and will be pestering you for tips & stuff but if it wasn't for CB, I wouldn't have known how cheap they were here in the UK.

Thank you one and all
    09-03-12 02:53 PM
    This is how internet forum works diego. People come into a conversation at the time of their choosing, doesn't matter how the conversation develops. Forum conversations aren't the most efficient form of communication by itself, it doesn't matter who is participating
    With over 7000 posts, I'm confident I know how forums work.

You missed the point. The bashing and fighting is the point. It helps nobody and it derails the thread.

So, will you contribute to the discussion or just stopped by to enlightened me?
    09-03-12 02:56 PM
    Well folks, your advice and information really helped and I am typing this message from my brand new, dirt cheap, 64gb PlayBook!!!!

I know I will have loads of questions and will be pestering you for tips & stuff but if it wasn't for CB, I wouldn't have known how cheap they were here in the UK.

Thank you one and all

awesome enjoy your new toy !

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    09-03-12 03:24 PM
    No problem mate. . Let us know how you feel about it...

btw, the free CB forum app isn't a bad idea to have if you plan to use the forum
    09-03-12 03:43 PM
    No problem mate. . Let us know how you feel about it...

btw, the free CB forum app isn't a bad idea to have if you plan to use the forum
    Already downloaded it AHA - I wouldn't be without you now!
    kdeckels likes this.
    09-03-12 03:51 PM
    With over 7000 posts, I'm confident I know how forums work.

You missed the point. The bashing and fighting is the point. It helps nobody and it derails the thread.

So, will you contribute to the discussion or just stopped by to enlightened me?
    You know we just joined the dark side by posting these, do you?
    diegonei likes this.
    09-03-12 03:58 PM
    I'm calling FOUL! here.

My wife, knowing I have been wanting a tablet and knowing how much i love my BB decided to buy me the 64G PB as a gift.
    Imagine my surprise when I'm told that, that's by design and at some point a software update will allow it to. Seriously!? Why put it on there and not allow its use? Could I be the only person who takes photos in less than ideal light settings?
    <looks for photo flash on back of PB> Fails to find it... maybe mine has an assembly defect, but there's no sign of missing parts.

The Browser is of particular note. Opening a site in another browser takes a lengthy finger press to bring up the selection and if you have multiple browser windows open and you "x out" or close one, they all close. meaning when you touch the X to close that "new tab" you opened the, all browser windows close.
    <opens 4 different sites without difficulty, pulls down menu, closes them in a different sequence> Allegation not reproduced by this 7 day PB owner.

3- Spam.
    There is No Option to mark a message as spam. my research suggests that people rely on their email server such as Gmail etc to filter that out. Seriously?! That's absurd. Why is it absurd? Because not all of us use Gmail and their supposed wonderfully efficient spam blocker.
    And what if something slips through? Now I will still have to log into Gmail and mark it as spam because I can't just mark it as such on my PB. To me this is a fundamental basic option (like a flash for the camera) that seems counter intuitive.
    That's strange, I don't see a Mark as Spam option in most of my mail clients. Not even in the mighty Outlook on a PC. The only places I have ever seen this are webmail and the gmail push-inbox of my smartphone.

These are just a couple observations from just a short amount of ownership but added to the fact of few truly useful or dynamic apps mine is going back to the store.

What I do like however is its size, feel, sound, screen visual and the image quality of the photos I took in good light and of course the Price..
    Maybe a few more hours actually learning how to use it would change your mind. I don't claim special skills and I had it pretty much under control within a few days using the standard Man Method - don't read the manual, just fiddle with it until it works.
    diegonei, bungaboy and Chaddface like this.
    09-03-12 05:50 PM
    I'm calling FOUL! here.

<looks for photo flash on back of PB> Fails to find it... maybe mine has an assembly defect, but there's no sign of missing parts.

<opens 4 different sites without difficulty, pulls down menu, closes them in a different sequence> Allegation not reproduced by this 7 day PB owner.

That's strange, I don't see a Mark as Spam option in most of my mail clients. Not even in the mighty Outlook on a PC. The only places I have ever seen this are webmail and the gmail push-inbox of my smartphone.

Maybe a few more hours actually learning how to use it would change your mind. I don't claim special skills and I had it pretty much under control within a few days using the standard Man Method - don't read the manual, just fiddle with it until it works.

I never said the flash was on the back. But the little flash on the face is sitting right there and does not work nor is there anyway to turn it on etc.

Opening multiple site was not difficult. i did not say it was. i did however suggest that you had to hold your finger on a link for a seemingly long time before being offered the new tab option.

As for closing them individually, yes I saw that my point was if you X'd out from the bottom it closes everything.... which my point was regarding intuitive(ness).

On my Outlook if I right click a message I have the option of marking it as "junk" AKA spam. I also have that option here on my BB 9900's native message app. I also have that option in my Network web based email server. But NOT on the PB message application.

And as for my taking the time to learn to use the PB..... Well I found your remark insulting. I'm not a teenager who's attention span couldn't handle learning something new.

I used the playbook every day and most of each of those days for a week to be exact because I was thrilled. YAY! who wouldnt be? And because like yourself I like to pic up a new toy and learn it on the fly consistent with the "Man Method."

And hey guess what.... after a week of wanting it to be cool and all that and the stroke of genius tablet.... it wasn't. Heck i even paid for a few apps that I thought would really jazz it up based on things i read here on CB.

But alas, the PB is as I said; a nice device. But it's also lacking. As is the App market for it. That's just reality.

Man some of you folks act like somebody insulted your mother if somebody writes something that doesn't blow sunshine up RIM's skirt. Get over yourselves.

Oh and the PB goes back to the store tomorrow morning.

Wow.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-03-12 07:25 PM
    T

Why?

Because of the quoted statement above AND:

2- Regardless of how others feel about it, TO ME it is not intuitive. My BB 9900 is but this tablet is not.
    1-The PB doesn't have a built in flash. It's a notification LED just like the phones. Maybe you take pictures with the screen facing away from you?

2- That just isn't true. You first would have to minimize the browser before hitting the X to close it. Even if you X the last remaining tab it brings back your homepage.
    09-03-12 07:37 PM
    1-The PB doesn't have a built in flash. It's a notification LED just like the phones. Maybe you take pictures with the screen facing away from you?

2- That just isn't true. You first would have to minimize the browser before hitting the X to close it. Even if you X the last remaining tab it brings back your homepage.
    Also that dot is where the ambient light sensor is located. Take your finger and cover it - the display will dim.
    09-03-12 07:48 PM
    Man some of you folks act like somebody insulted your mother if somebody writes something that doesn't blow sunshine up RIM's skirt. Get over yourselves.

Oh and the PB goes back to the store tomorrow morning.
    Wow..ow..ow, hold on a minute! Did you just typed what I saw you typed?

Nop, still don't care...
    09-04-12 12:14 AM
    Hello guys & gals,

I have a BB phone and want to get a tablet, so my first inclination is to get a Playbook - but why should I pick it over, say, an Android tablet?

This is not an obtuse question, I genuinely want to find out what makes a PB so essential for BB fans. My 9360 is the first BB I have ever owned and I will not be going back to any other make unless there is a seriously compelling reason.

I will be using my PB for social media, I blog a lot and am also a writer so is this something the PB would be able to handle? How will my BB pair with my PB and will they be seamlessly synced once paired up? Is the media output good? Is the video in HD, for example?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit lame but with 64gb PBs at �129 at PC World, I do not want to miss out.

Any help you can give me would be really appreciated.

Regards
    Stuart
    You buy a PB if you are:

a) 50 and have never really bought a tablet before but have used a Blackberry for work
    b) If you are generally clueless about technology, or an average RIM user.
    c) If you saw the desperately low price and decided to test it, before realising the funcitonality is awful swiftly returning it to buy an Android tablet or iPad.

That about covers it.
    Last edited by Richdog-; 09-04-12 at 08:27 AM.
    09-04-12 08:25 AM
    Which one are you Rich? A, B or C?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-04-12 08:28 AM
    Which one are you Rich? A, B or C?
    I was a definitive C.
    09-04-12 08:36 AM
    Sweeping generalizations are always wrong
    09-04-12 08:41 AM
    depends on your usability.....if you want it for internet and mailing...pb will do good for you
    09-04-12 08:46 AM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD