I want bb10 on my playbook. I know it isn't going to happen, I am the fool I know but I believed BlackBerry when they said they were going to put it on, and deep down I understand why they didn't. If it was too laggy to give a good experience what is the point?

Now that I have three playbooks more or less collecting dust this bothered me tonight so I thought I would write about it

Yes, I know never buy a product on what it might do, buy it for what it does right now. Lesson learned, but I love buying cutting edge technology and I love being an 'early adapter'. The guys at the Telus store still refer to me as the BlackBerry guy because I lined up the morning of launch of z10. I wasn't alone either, just that the other guys had phone problems and one needed a new power cord. Anyway I digress.

Wish that bb10 copied playbook os better with additions, or playbook got bb10.

Thanks for the read on a recycled topic.

Posted via CB10
    Kowal and mh1983 like this.
    09-11-15 01:57 AM
    I don't know if you can find old PlayBook BB10 betas lying around, although they'll have a date-check time bomb. I could compile BB10 apps for PB on an ancient version of the SDK but that ability disappeared with the latest versions. That means you're stuck with old crappy PB OS and its abandoned apps. Better jump to iOS or Android for tablets, I've given up on anything BlackBerry and Microsoft for abandoning Windows RT and the WinRT framework for the crazy mess that's Windows 10.
    09-13-15 08:57 AM
    Yeah I have a Surface rt original that is dead end software now too. Still does most things I want it too, but it is slow.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 03:06 PM
    You are not alone!
    My PB lays on my desk since I got the passport on its launch in Germany.
    I know what you feel. Sad to see that the PB is not as good as other tablets in the market.

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480
    09-13-15 03:57 PM
    Yeah I have a Surface rt original that is dead end software now too. Still does most things I want it too, but it is slow.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have an HP Touchpad too?

I kid, but having both the PB and the Surface RT is quite unfortunate
    09-14-15 06:15 PM

Ha! At least a Touchpad gets community dev support, though.
    09-15-15 08:59 AM
    Gee, you ' guys ' !
    In defense of me and my playbook, i have been using it daily as my sit down home browser, and sometimes my out and about browser, ever since i got it, BECAUSE it is a reliable device with no weird background buggy apps going on.

Now, sometimes things freeze up, but not very often. I had bought a second Playbook as a backup but in reality i just switch between the two from time to time (usually once or twice a month) when something gets laggy, since a shut off / restart fixes it (so far!)

I contend that it is NOT a bad choice as a tablet even now. But that depends on what you do with it. And yes i can stream videos on it too. I browse, i listen to music, i download songs/talk shows, i order stuff online, occasionally watch videos, even may take a picture or two although it does make for a bulky camera.

The put-downs of the Playbook are really exaggerated, i suppose if i had bought it at full original retail price i would be disappointed the promises of update support were not followed through, but it sells for pretty darned cheap for a stable secure functional tablet without bloatware or spyware.

What are the alternatives, what do they cost, what are the real reviews, how long do they run without going buggy on you? Ever have an expensive tablet put a PUK code on your machine for no reason? With both the carrier and the manufacturer denying it was them? And then get an unlock code with the wrong number of digits?

Why would I come back for more of that? Life is peaceful with my Playbook that Just Works and no one can PUK on it.

Funny coincidence the PUK code landed on the $400 Samsung the day i was playing with my Playbook for the first time with the Samsung turned on right next to it. I was so sick of the forced apps and spyware and freezes and forced restarts and the damned thing even told me it couldnt see my eyes after i stuck tape on the front facing camera how creepy is that? I know its called a smartscreen but i didnt want it and was not allowed to keep that off, nor the privileges of the hundreds of apps (i counted them) that i couldnt turn off.

People just gotta buy whatever they want, i sure hope there will remain the right to choose, because outside of BlackBerry, there isnt much right. People just are taught to not care about having no choice.
    Kowal and Cracklen like this.
    09-15-15 10:31 AM

Yes. I do have the touchpad. Haha. Picked up the 32 gig in fire sale. Runs android 99 percent of time.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 08:51 PM
    Yes. I do have the touchpad. Haha. Picked up the 32 gig in fire sale. Runs android 99 percent of time.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm... Might be pushing it but... Do you also own a Zune?

Posted from an ME173X
    09-15-15 09:07 PM
    Gee, you ' guys ' !
    In defense of me and my playbook, i have been using it daily as my sit down home browser, and sometimes my out and about browser, ever since i got it, BECAUSE it is a reliable device with no weird background buggy apps going on.

Now, sometimes things freeze up, but not very often. I had bought a second Playbook as a backup but in reality i just switch between the two from time to time (usually once or twice a month) when something gets laggy, since a shut off / restart fixes it (so far!)

I contend that it is NOT a bad choice as a tablet even now. But that depends on what you do with it. And yes i can stream videos on it too. I browse, i listen to music, i download songs/talk shows, i order stuff online, occasionally watch videos, even may take a picture or two although it does make for a bulky camera.

The put-downs of the Playbook are really exaggerated, i suppose if i had bought it at full original retail price i would be disappointed the promises of update support were not followed through, but it sells for pretty darned cheap for a stable secure functional tablet without bloatware or spyware.

What are the alternatives, what do they cost, what are the real reviews, how long do they run without going buggy on you? Ever have an expensive tablet put a PUK code on your machine for no reason? With both the carrier and the manufacturer denying it was them? And then get an unlock code with the wrong number of digits?

Why would I come back for more of that? Life is peaceful with my Playbook that Just Works and no one can PUK on it.

Funny coincidence the PUK code landed on the $400 Samsung the day i was playing with my Playbook for the first time with the Samsung turned on right next to it. I was so sick of the forced apps and spyware and freezes and forced restarts and the damned thing even told me it couldnt see my eyes after i stuck tape on the front facing camera how creepy is that? I know its called a smartscreen but i didnt want it and was not allowed to keep that off, nor the privileges of the hundreds of apps (i counted them) that i couldnt turn off.

People just gotta buy whatever they want, i sure hope there will remain the right to choose, because outside of BlackBerry, there isnt much right. People just are taught to not care about having no choice.
    Hundreds?

09-15-15 10:59 PM
    Hmmm... Might be pushing it but... Do you also own a Zune?
    I do !! And it is THE music machine for travelling along the TCH, btwn YYC/YWG !

I actually bought the PB to replace the Zune when it died, plus so I wouldn't have to lite up the laptop when travelling. Still use the PB as a litelifter laptop but the 1stGen80gb Zune is still putting out tunes {over 1600 of them ripped from our cd library}. Tried once to transfer the tunes from computer to the PB but for some reason it would not that trial, so let it go as i had other things to take care of and the Zune was/is still working fine !

Sounds like a PPSE would be the replacement for all of the above (plus the interim borrowed v360) !

imho
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    09-16-15 12:32 AM
    Hundreds?
    Yep. It was that Samsung something 10.2.
    09-16-15 01:20 AM
    Unfortunately you will be getting an Android version instead after the Venice release. Not.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 03:23 AM
    I do !! And it is THE music machine for travelling along the TCH, btwn YYC/YWG !

I actually bought the PB to replace the Zune when it died, plus so I wouldn't have to lite up the laptop when travelling. Still use the PB as a litelifter laptop but the 1stGen80gb Zune is still putting out tunes {over 1600 of them ripped from our cd library}. Tried once to transfer the tunes from computer to the PB but for some reason it would not that trial, so let it go as i had other things to take care of and the Zune was/is still working fine !

Sounds like a PPSE would be the replacement for all of the above (plus the interim borrowed v360) !

imho
    me too! I have a 16GB ZuneHD, and I'm still using it every day on my daily commute
    Cracklen likes this.
    09-17-15 03:23 PM