Was looking at the Playbook site:

BlackBerry - 4G PlayBook Tablet PC. Get BlackBerry 4G PlayBook Tablet

If you go halfway down to the Tablet OS section with the Flash windows, look at the first screenshot that shows the the menus . It shows Messages, Calendar and Contacts apps, but doesn't show a "Blackberry" group option of it which I have seen in all of the videos when the bridge is active. So either this is a photoshop job (which is possible), or this device has e-mail, contacts and calendar functionality without the bridge active.

Mods please add PIM after "native" in title
    Last edited by lnichols; 02-08-11 at 09:17 AM.
    02-08-11 09:15 AM

If you go halfway down to the Tablet OS section with the Flash windows, look at the first screenshot that shows the the menus . It shows Messages, Calendar and Contacts apps, but doesn't show a "Blackberry" group option of it which I have seen in all of the videos when the bridge is active. So either this is a photoshop job (which is possible), or this device has e-mail, contacts and calendar functionality without the bridge active.

...and a whole legion of trolls just screamed in unison "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Dear oh dear, shoud this be true, between that and the recent information about the xoom's price, what will they holler about now?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-11 09:24 AM
    I thought the 3G/4G model always had this feature? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the big deal was that the first playbook to be released is the wifi one and how it has no native PIM.

howarmat likes this.
    02-08-11 10:05 AM
    I thought the 3G/4G model always had this feature? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the big deal was that the first playbook to be released is the wifi one and how it has no native PIM.

It's coming in a software update if not at launch for all Playbooks. Check the comments at the bottom of this post from BerryReview. Alex Kinsella the senior product manager from RIM confirms it.

I want to clarify a few misconceptions about the future of e-mail on the BlackBerry PlayBook. While one e-mail option is to pair your PlayBook to a BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Bridge system (explained by PlayBook product manager Ryan Bidan in this video (CES 2011: BlackBerry PlayBook PM Ryan Bidan (VIDEO) | Inside BlackBerry) Q & A), a future software update for the PlayBook will also provide native e-mail, calendar and contact apps for those customers who prefer to have these directly on the tablet.
    02-08-11 10:10 AM
    Although there is a e-mail option is for your script to use the BlackBerry smartphone BlackBerry bridge system, future software update will also provide local script email, calendar and contacts application services to customers who wish to have them directly in the monument.
    02-08-11 10:16 AM
    The 3G/4G will have it built in I thought that was already understood.
    Time for some pricing and release dates for this thing.

Superbowl has come and gone with no commerical.
    02-08-11 10:31 AM
    Although there is a e-mail option is for your script to use the BlackBerry smartphone BlackBerry bridge system, future software update will also provide local script email, calendar and contacts application services to customers who wish to have them directly in the monument.
    what the OP is trying to say, is the PIM icons only show when your BlackBerry is attached, and when attached you get a new `page` saying BlackBerry. so as this doesnt show as having that page, it implys it`ll be there from the outset.

simple answer is nobody knows just yet, but it wont bother me if it doesnt have it at launch, as thats what my BB`s for and that never leaves my side
    Nojo73 likes this.
    02-08-11 10:47 AM
    The pic in the middle with the apps? The bluetooth icon is on, thus bridge is on. Go to the top, select the third "dot" and you see "Enterprise ready, of course." and the same pic. You see the email, calender, and contacts with bluetooth on thus I assume (might be wrong) that you have the bridge on. I saw that week or so ago and nit picked the pics and you only see those email and such with the bluetooh on. BUT these are old shots or photoshoped and the icons on the top are BLUE when in use, not white (same in simulator).
    02-08-11 10:55 AM

There will be apps on the PB, but the data will come from your BB. Just a better UI on the PB for the supplied data from BB.

Not an application to connect to BIS/BES.
    02-08-11 07:20 PM
    i believe that rim will also be issuing an update to bes to handle pb as well. maybe eventually two pin one bes account.
    02-08-11 08:32 PM
    I wonder if they will include an Activesync client on the PB? Native email will be useless for a lot of users if it doesn't support Exchange Activesync. All the other platforms support it on their handsets and tablets, so I think this would be a must feature.

02-08-11 09:12 PM
    I wonder if they will include an Activesync client on the PB? Native email will be useless for a lot of users if it doesn't support Exchange Activesync. All the other platforms support it on their handsets and tablets, so I think this would be a must feature.

I hope it does, if it does I think it will be the device to beat
    02-08-11 09:19 PM
    This doesn't surprise me because it has a radio in it. By having its own radio, it is able to have its own email and BBM because it doesn't NEED to have any bridge set up.

I think I remember seeing an interview with someone saying that once it got a radio, it would have its own PIN for BBM and email, etc.
    02-09-11 06:08 AM
    With the WiFi model, it could have email and contacts, but it won't have a BBM tho, right? Or will it get a PIN for BBM over WiFi? I can't imagine it would because then it would have one PIN for BBM thru your BB and one PIN for BBM thru WiFi...

Unless it would somehow adopt/share the PIN from the BB (even when not connected thru BT) and use that thru WiFi. That would be a neat feature because then we could chat with BBM over WiFi without having the extra drain on the battery without having an additional PB-BB BT connection open.
    02-09-11 06:18 AM
    It's coming in a software update if not at launch for all Playbooks. Check the comments at the bottom of this post from BerryReview. Alex Kinsella the senior product manager from RIM confirms it.
    My opinion on "it's coming in a s/w update" is to ignore such promises. I never buy anything that doesn't already have what I want in a device. One can never rely on mfgr promises of upgraded functionality.
    02-09-11 09:43 AM
    My opinion on "it's coming in a s/w update" is to ignore such promises. I never buy anything that doesn't already have what I want in a device. One can never rely on mfgr promises of upgraded functionality.
    I can respect that but I'm afraid this business model is here to stay.

Remember years ago when you bought PC games and they were complete and solid? The industry found they can make money quicker by throwing uogether what in the old days didn't pass black box testing and stick it on the shelf, then just have a website post "patches" every few months. Then the competition had to do it to keep up.

Now we have phones that are sold before they are solid, requiring "OS updates" (granted some companies are worse than others). I fear tablets are going to be the same way now.

02-09-11 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD